Bergen, Norway

A hopon off bus lea ves from near the cruise terminal. A great and easy way to see the town. Certainly take the Floyenbahn up the mountain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, Ine said:

A hopon off bus lea ves from near the cruise terminal. A great and easy way to see the town. Certainly take the Floyenbahn up the mountain.

Is it possible to hike back down to the city?

took this in '18 from the area at the top of the Funicular on a crowded day ... looking over the port. Pretty clearly shows 3 cruisers parked pretty close together. The one on the left is VIKING SKY for size perspective.image.thumb.png.911159944fc2809ecc342209281cd3f5.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, tnbigal said:

The status on google for the Fløibanen vernacular show "temporarily closed".  Is this due to covid?

The website doesn't mention this.

The Fløibanen funicular is not a show; it is a type of train, taking you up Mount Fløyen. That said, the website states:

"For several years we have been working with plans for upgrading cars, machinery, and modifications of our stations so that they will be universally designed. Even though cars are in excellent state, they are actualy now 20 years old. So the time has come to realize this project.  

Fløibanen will be closed for upgrading from September 20th 2021 until April 1st 2022. 

The renovation is extensive, and except from Fløistuen Café and Skomakerstuen Café the entire facility will be closed from September 20th 2021 until April 1st. When we reopen in April 2022, we will offer 35% more capacity and stations that are more efficient and accessible for strollers, wheelchairs etc. "

• 1 year later...

Bergen trip report from June 11, 2023. The weather was sunny and about 75 degrees Fahrenheit. 

We were on the Carnival Pride. Our plan was to walk to the funicular and ride it up, walk around and ride it back down. Then, we planned to walk to Bryggen before walking back to the ship.

Another ship, Viking I think it was, was docked near Bryggen at the Bergen Harbor. The Pride was docked at the Bergen and Omland Port Authority. That was some distance away. That is I expected that when we debarked, there would be road signs pointing us toward the City Center, Funicular, Mt. Floyen and/or Bryggen. The reality is that we struggled with directions. We walked some distance up hills before we could see Bryggen to try to orient ourselves, but we needed to use our data to bring up a map to locate the Funicular. 

We did make it over to the Funicular and rode it up quickly. It cost 170 kr each for one-way. We then walked to the lake and then followed some trails at the top of the mountain for about 2 miles. We found our way up to the Commune where we ate the lunch we brought with us. The older man manning the Commune building recommended that we take a short-cut back down. The short-cut worked great. We then took the Funicular back down and then walked over to Bryggen. 

We expected nothing to be open because it was Sunday, but many stores and cafes were open. There was a market selling fish too. The shopping in Bryggen was the best of the cruise. There were several sweater shops and even a shop selling hand-made moose-leather items. I wish I had bought things there, because I never had any other opportunities as good. 

What I learned: I wish I had a better map before we started. The walk on top of Mt. Floyen was wonderful. I'm glad we did it. We should have brought shorts on our cruise. I wish we had shopped in Bryggen.

• Thanks 3

for future reference, if you have Google maps you can download maps to your phone for use off line and without burning data.  I already have maps loaded for my next trip.

I also already have my sweater shopping planned.  Bergen is the last day of my cruise and I am still considering if shopping after my final debarcation or as the end of my day ramble is a better choice.  I do have a long wait for my flight out.  

where did you find the leather goods? @Letsgo cruisin

11 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

for future reference, if you have Google maps you can download maps to your phone for use off line and without burning data.  I already have maps loaded for my next trip.

I also already have my sweater shopping planned.  Bergen is the last day of my cruise and I am still considering if shopping after my final debarcation or as the end of my day ramble is a better choice.  I do have a long wait for my flight out.  

where did you find the leather goods? @Letsgo cruisin

I thought I had what I needed from Google Maps, but I just didn't.

The leather good store was around here: Bellgården 1, Jacobsfjorden 6, 7 D, 5003 Bergen, Norway

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, let's go cruising said:

We did make it over to the Funicular and rode it up quickly. It cost 170 kr each for one-way.

Were you able to pay with credit card or did you have to use local currency? Thanks.

11 hours ago, travelbuds said:

Were you able to pay with credit card or did you have to use local currency? Thanks.

Not the person you asked, but I can answer as we were there this past summer. We paid with a credit card.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ontheweb said:

........ we were there this past summer. We paid with a credit card.

Thank you. Did you have a long wait in the ticket line? Did you do a roundtrip ride, or walk back down to town? Thought about buying tickets ahead of time. Website says ticket office doesn't open till 8:30AM. Our ship docks by 7AM and leaves early afternoon so we want an early start for the day.

Back in July (on MSC Fantasia), we took a 3 hour boat/bus tour of Bergen. Ate a nice lunch in town, then went up Mt. Flöyen (buy tickets online before leaving) and spent another 2 hours taking a nice long hike up there. Then proceeded to get lost walking back to the ship.

• Like 1