Premium Beverage Package

PSR

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Oops - make that $16 USD pp not % for the B cabin.
Both my and DW’s spa receipts this week say 18% service charge. Perhaps the 2% difference is the “good looking” bonus discount and also the reason why the young lady kept calling me Mr Clooney(?).

Now that I look at some pix, I can see the resemblance.

634E2C0D-E8DE-450F-BAA3-D8C4975F8655.jpeg

On 1/26/2022 at 4:06 PM, govanguy said:

Great Stirrup Cay. If you purchase the upgraded package onboard, can this be used to facilitate alcohol abuse on Great Stirrup Quay at no further cost?

Absolutely you can use it on Great Stirrup. We did so earlier this month

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:42 PM, basor said:

We have taken the basic beverage package as our Olife choice and then upgraded once on board.  With the upgraded package you can order any alcoholic drink at any time (including room service) with only a few high-end cognacs and single malt whiskeys excluded.  This last cruise we did not upgrade upon embarking because the first 11 days were port intensive, and we knew we would only be drinking wine during mealtimes.  Our idea was to upgrade to the prestige package once we started our trans-Atlantic portion of the cruise (one nice thing about O is that you can upgrade at any time during the cruise and both people do not have to upgrade but once you upgrade it is for the remaining days of the cruise).  Surprisingly we found no need to upgrade -  the basic package is available during meal service hours and includes beer, wine, champagne and port.  We could order champagne with breakfast while sitting out on Terrace, wine with lunch at Terrace, Waves or the GD and then more wine at Waves before closing at 4, then wine and port at any dining venue in the evening.   Pair that with the liquor we had brought on board to enjoy out on our balcony, we did not need to upgrade.  Of course, that only works if you do not drink spirits and do not want to sit at one of the bars and enjoy a glass anytime of the day or night.  Add in the happy hours with BOGO, we could enjoy the occasional martini or other spirit for less than the $20.00 per person per day to upgrade.    I hope this helps you understand

I will say that this is inconsistent with past practices. Perhaps it represents a change in protocols, or maybe just a temporary easing due to Covid.

Historically, for example, one could not take up a table on the Terrace veranda, upon opening, and drink until close on the standard package. A point would come and the wait staff would bill one for anything thereafter. Likewise, if one ate and drank in one restaurant, then the package was considered utilized at that sitting. Remember, everything one does is in the computer. So one couldn’t then move to a different venue and start drinking again. That’s what the Premium Package is for!

Be interesting to see how this plays out once full capacity sailing resumes.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Now that I look at some pix, I can see the resemblance.

634E2C0D-E8DE-450F-BAA3-D8C4975F8655.jpeg

I'm laughing like my wife and friends did when I told them about the dream I had of looking in the mirror and thinking, " I do really look like Jon Hamm" 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I will say that this is inconsistent with past practices. Perhaps it represents a change in protocols, or maybe just a temporary easing due to Covid.

Historically, for example, one could not take up a table on the Terrace veranda, upon opening, and drink until close on the standard package. A point would come and the wait staff would bill one for anything thereafter. Likewise, if one ate and drank in one restaurant, then the package was considered utilized at that sitting. Remember, everything one does is in the computer. So one couldn’t then move to a different venue and start drinking again. That’s what the Premium Package is for!

Yeah, I kind of thought the same. I think it's probably the current, "let's make everybody happy" reports we've seen in the last few months since restarting. This is the first account I've ever seen of anyone getting a Mimosa at breakfast on the Basic package. What I have seen in the past was people with the Prestige package reporting it next to impossible to get a Mimosa or Bloody Mary in the morning. I'm pretty it's explicitly stated that the Basic package is for lunch and dinner. 

But, as you've mentioned before, everything that occurred in the past is the past. It doesn't really mean that's the way things will be going forward. On the other I don't expect them to rewrite too many rules and policies. 

1 hour ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Put your glasses on and look again.

Gee- and just when I was going to post that you too look like some movie star whose name I cannot remember. 
In any case, I hope we’ll get to cruise together at some point. We’ve had two Australia cruises cancelled but are planning on a Sydney embark in February 2023 and may try to do some OZ travel beforehand depending on the Covid situation.

We shall see.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:59 AM, navelgunner said:

I find these threads on drink packages fascinating.  They remind me of the old trope that if you can afford a very expensive car, you can afford the price of premium gasoline to run it. 😃

Perhaps, but I grew up on the old Ben Franklin maxim. Also growing up poor tends to make one be thrifty. FWIW, my car uses Premium, no problem affording it, but I generally get it at Sam's Club, which is across the street from Casey's. There is an approximately .50 a gallon price difference. Casey's is about a 1/2 mile closer, so I guess those that don't care about the prices of things are probably getting their Premium at Casey's. 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

We do not "take up a table" on the Terrace and drink all afternoon.....we have a glass of wine with lunch and then some days go to Waves mid late afternoon and have a small bite with another glass of wine.   Perhaps because we are not trying to game the system to drink all day, we have never been billed for the glass of wine at Waves.  This has been true on our cruise last November and for many cruises taken in the last 10 years.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Gee- and just when I was going to post that you too look like some movie star whose name I cannot remember. 
In any case, I hope we’ll get to cruise together at some point. We’ve had two Australia cruises cancelled but are planning on a Sydney embark in February 2023 and may try to do some OZ travel beforehand depending on the Covid situation.

We shall see.

Friends and fellow tennis fans attended the Australian Open before their Viking cruise out of Australia in 2019. They rented an apartment right on the tram line that runs directly to the venue entrance and had a marvelous time.

Every time they bring their AO tennis sear cushions to the Western & Southern Open (Masters 1000 event, the tier just below the Grand Slams) held every summer here, numerous fans offer money to purchase those rarities. 

Edited by CintiPam

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Some time in the recent past, I remember, an O rep on the ship remarking that they give those with  the drinks package for lunch and Dinner  basic level,   about 90 min  to participate in the program.   Then it is $$$$        Yes, you can not visit the MDR  for  lunch and then pop up to the Terrace,,,,then over to Waves.      I was never clear if  it worked in the specialites.

15 minutes ago, harbourside said:

Have spirits also gone up with the gratuity.  How much for a basic dark rum and coke or gin and tonic.

Depends on the spirit. 
O has started carrying some better quality choices. For example, they now have Gunpowder Gin. And the standard price for it in a single shot Martini would be $16.50 including the 20% tip. I assume something like Bombay Sapphire would be somewhat less.

We are changing our  O Life choice from drink package to onboard ship credit for April, 2022 cruise. Have always chosen drink package, have upgraded to better package 50% of the time. I am not much of a wine or beer drinker, always prefer whiskey, DH claims that it doesn’t matter to him, although it is great to have drink package, esp. when the servers learn what you drink. Can anyone support not taking the beverage package?

16 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

We are changing our  O Life choice from drink package to onboard ship credit for April, 2022 cruise. Have always chosen drink package, have upgraded to better package 50% of the time. I am not much of a wine or beer drinker, always prefer whiskey, DH claims that it doesn’t matter to him, although it is great to have drink package, esp. when the servers learn what you drink. Can anyone support not taking the beverage package?

Depends on how much you drink

Taking the OBC is usually a wash  as you are paying the same amount  for  a non refundable  credit

Better to not take the O life perk  if  the drink or excursion option is not for you

JMO

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

As Lynne says, the OBC option has no advantages.  You pay $XXX for the OLife perk to get the same $XXX as non-refundable (use it or lose it) OBC.  Some folks like to do that just for convenience, not for a "deal."  

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

I was never clear if  it worked in the specialites.

Yes it does, as long as you're ordering wine by the glass from the menu or beer. I'm personally not much of a beer drinker with food, although I do enjoy wine with a meal. I have been known to order a beer toward the end of a meal at lunch, then sip it for a while. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Ya...I can agree with you....... Over the years  my drinking habits have changed  to the point I seldom  drink daily now and can take or leave wine  as the case may be.  Wife    the same. 

Ya', I loved wine and have a small cellar   now  but seldom now use it... unless somehow, unless its some very special vintage or such     I got pickey after 3 decades in the Napa /Sonoma valley.

So, no  I'd rather not  be locked into a week+ of ".If I got it, I gotta use it mentality".

So Now going forward , I come for the cruise not the booze.

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

If you are planning on purchasing the beverage package then you are better off $$$ wise to take the beverage package and upgrade when onboard.  If you multiply the number of days of your cruise by $40.00 (basic beverage package price) and compare to the amount of OBC, you will find the beverage package is a better value.

2 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

If only one of you drinks, of if one is a very light drinker, then the bev package is not a good choice through O Life.  Better to just purchase onboard for the one drinker, and buy the non/light drinker drinks by the glass if desired.

• Like 3

I purchased 6 bottles of (fairly) good wine in Rome prior to embarkation on my 16 (18?) day TA on Riviera last November. I drank some in my cabin and paid a $25 corkage fee to consume at dinner (any restaurant). I purchased several additional bottles at ports. In addition, when I wanted a cocktail, my tipple of choice is vodka cranberry $13 (including tip). At happy hour I would order a double pour, still just $13.

Before you start to think that’s a lot of alcohol (and you’d be right!), I would often share wine at dinner w my wonderful new BF’s! I met some really great folks onboard - the best part of the O experience are my fellow pax!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For us, having the beverage package nearly totally depends upon the cruise itinerary. First, and most importantly: Where are we cruising to? If we’re cruising the Med or OZ/NZ, for example, there are great wines and some liquors readily available everywhere. Buy as we go and pay for the occasional mixed drinks when we want one. However, there are parts of this earth where buying alcohol is practically impossible or outrageously expensive due to taxes ( anywhere in the Baltic). India has the reputation of being a wine desert! Ever tried buying wine in Vietnam or some of the Islamic countries? So if we’re doing a Baltic cruise or anywhere between Istanbul to Hong Kong , we’ll take the basic package and buy up.

Second: How port intensive is the cruise?  If the ship is at port, we’re not on it. Therefore, we’re not there for lunch and any benefits the package may provide isn’t there for us. OTOH, if the cruise is chalked full on sea days, then that package is well worth it, especially combined with any considerations from #1 above.

• Like 3

The value of the beverage package depends on the individual. For us, purchasing the OLife beverage package works out very well. On our upcoming 10-day cruise the OLife price is $600 or $30/day/pp.

I don't drink much outside of meal times so the basic beverage package is a good value for me. We'll go to happy hour but I'll just have a soft drink. My husband will have an after dinner drink or two so he will upgrade.

We'll bring a bottle or two of wine in our luggage to drink on our balcony (one of my favorite things about cruising). 

The point is it's nice to have choices.  Not all cruise lines let you do that.