Things to change on Beyond….

little britain

15 hours ago, little britain said:

4. Change the stickers on the door so one side reads “make up room” instead of both sides  saying the same thing

I also found this very odd.  For a ship that is soooo high tech, this was a very low-tech solution.  And it wasn't even done right.  On HARMONY OF THE SEAS they also had the magnets, but they were correctly printed with one side "DND" and the other "make up room".  

Honestly though for such a high tech ship, there should be a button in the cabin like the new ships of NCL have (and many others).  Easiest and best solution IMO.  

It's also interesting the APEX doesn't have the key slot at the cabin entrance to activate all the electricity.  I'm guessing there are sensors instead that know if the room is occupied, and the a/c is adjusted accordingly.  

fullsizeoutput_3daf.jpg

• Like 3

I just want outdoor, forward access for non-suite guests. I love Edge but no forward views is a deal breaker for my partner, so no Edge class for us unless the itinerary outweighs it. From the plans that I've seen so far, I don't think this is happening. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I just want outdoor, forward access for non-suite guests. I love Edge but no forward views is a deal breaker for my partner, so no Edge class for us unless the itinerary outweighs it. From the plans that I've seen so far, I don't think this is happening. 

No that won't be happening, unless you go to the gym or thermal suite.  Basically Celebrity considers Eden to be the new "observation lounge" and of course it's aft facing.  I also like a forward observation lounge but it's not a deal breaker for me, especially because I loved APEX so much overall ... far more than the S-Class for me.  But I agree it does lack general forward viewing space.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

How about we change some passengers. Those who find the "Edge Class Concept" personally unappealing need not sail on Beyond, especially if they are familiar with Edge and Apex. No offense intended, but just like balcony chairs, infinite verandas, Eden, door stickers etc., you too, in your absence, could make for a more enjoyable cruise for everyone. 

Completely unnecessary. Why do some people feel a compunction to be so aggressive? Does it make them feel clever? Very sad individuals.

Telling people that their absence from a cruise will be a benefit for everyone else when all they might have done is suggested a few things that they think could be improved in the new E-class ship. Is that a hanging offence?

• Like 7

Totally agree about #5 as I saw lots of irritated women in the restrooms when we were on Apex at the beginning of the month.  Like is it so hard to put a red/green indicator as you see in European bathroom stall doors?  It's not rocket science. 

What I would like to see--and no, it's surely not too late to tweak this little item for the next Edge class ship (and yes, it's strictly my opinion and no one else's):  brighten up the soft goods.  The decor on Apex is such a muddied, drab color scheme.  Monotone monotone monotone.  It's a ship of gray and brown.  Liven it up a bit.  I am NOT advocating to go wild or garish or busy!  But maybe it's a little boring to have gray pillows on gray chairs and sofas?  How about a little contrast to brighten things up.  The decor on Apex is so tasteful as to be a snooze fest. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Denny01 said:

An ‘interesting dialogue’  on saying what needs to be changed to something None of us have experienced yet?? And from the current posts, most are about ‘something’ (Eden) that was already changed. I’m not offended, and I don’t think Spif is, just pointing the obvious.

I remember when the S-Class was first being introduced, and we mainly saw the deck layout, mainly drawings and we got a ton of ‘This is terrible!!’. Yes, I know there are more than a few who do no like the Edge or the Apex and changing the BR locks aren’t what the point is. Their opinion….but we’ve been through that with tons of posts with the Edge being designed. So if you don’t like the Edge or Apex, then focus on that, my suggestion. 

But if a thread is going to be started about what to change on something None of us have experienced, you’re going to get the obvious responses. 

Den

If that is where the OP was coming from I would agree with you 100%. 

But it is obvious that the OP is not in possession of a crystal ball and is merely suggesting changes to a ship that none of us has seen. The OP is clearly suggesting changes they would like to see on the Beyond FROM what they have experienced on either the Edge or the Apex. Surely, that is the only logical way to read the original post, albeit one could argue that the thread title could perhaps have made things a little clearer.

6 minutes ago, dln929 said:

The decor on Apex is such a muddied, drab color scheme.  Monotone monotone monotone.  It's a ship of gray and brown.  Liven it up a bit.  I am NOT advocating to go wild or garish or busy!  But maybe it's a little boring to have gray pillows on gray chairs and sofas?  How about a little contrast to brighten things up.  The decor on Apex is so tasteful as to be a snooze fest. 

I absolutely loved it.  I'm a big fan of this style decor and Nate Berkus designs in general.  I wish I could afford for him to design my house.  

But as we all know design is very subjective.  We all have our own tastes and there will never be agreement.  There is no right or wrong.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, miched said:

🌊🚢

14 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

How about we change some passengers. Those who find the "Edge Class Concept" personally unappealing need not sail on Beyond, especially if they are familiar with Edge and Apex. No offense intended, but just like balcony chairs, infinite verandas, Eden, door stickers etc., you too, in your absence, could make for a more enjoyable cruise for everyone. 

Wow! How very Rude.

What was meant to be a light hearted thread about things that have not been thought through properly and that can easily be changed should not be turned into a personal attack

Edited by little britain
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

I remember one of the PUP webinars talking about how Beyond was already well into the design phase before Edge even went in to service. I do think most of the changes made are beneficial and will be an improvement over Edge and Apex. I'm curious to see how the new cantilevered hot tubs by the Roof Top Garden and the expanded Sunset Bar pull traffic away from the pool area or if those hot tubs will see little use. Or maybe it will become a prime space for the over-zealous "group leader" to claim their territory for their party of 12 at 5am. 

The changes to the Martini Bar, extra bars like WCB, pool facing cabanas, extra pool deck seating and the Sunset Bar are all things we are looking forward to. 

• Like 1

Have only sailed on Celebrity once and that was on Edge in a Sky suite.

There wasn’t much we would change but here are some little things:

—better lighting at the mirror in the bathroom: when ‘window’ is open, then the natural lighting helps but when standing at the mirror, the lights shine on the countertop and don’t light the face

—eliminate the motorized curtains: they are kind of neat but there were times we only wanted one side of the drapes closed (to eliminate glare on TV) and drapes could only have open or closed

—larger nightstands and include a drawer in them: yes, with the balcony-facing bed (loved that!), there wasn’t much room for nightstands but as this is only a wish, thought I’d add it

—an actual bar in the Retreat lounge, with a bartender to make cocktails, pour wine, and in the AM would also be a barista

I haven’t looked at the Beyond details to see what is the same or different on it vs. Edge. But we’re already booked for Jan 2023!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Denny01 said:

An ‘interesting dialogue’  on saying what needs to be changed to something None of us have experienced yet?? And from the current posts, most are about ‘something’ (Eden) that was already changed. I’m not offended, and I don’t think Spif is, just pointing the obvious.

I remember when the S-Class was first being introduced, and we mainly saw the deck layout, mainly drawings and we got a ton of ‘This is terrible!!’. Yes, I know there are more than a few who do no like the Edge or the Apex and changing the BR locks aren’t what the point is. Their opinion….but we’ve been through that with tons of posts with the Edge being designed. So if you don’t like the Edge or Apex, then focus on that, my suggestion. 

But if a thread is going to be started about what to change on something None of us have experienced, you’re going to get the obvious responses. 

Den

I have sailed on Edge twice and will be on Apex in five weeks. I obviously like E-class or I wouldnt be headed out on one for the third time. No ship is perfect and I'm sure Celebrity thinks about how to modify things in future iterations of a ship design. Applying one's experience with a current design to a future design is how things get better. Obviously "none of us have experienced" Beyond. That wasnt the posters question. The question was what about Edge and Apex would you change in the next version. A valid question and interesting subject. If you don't want to participate in that dialogue that is up to you. There are plenty of other threads to respond to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dock B said:

Have only sailed on Celebrity once and that was on Edge in a Sky suite.

There wasn’t much we would change but here are some little things:

—better lighting at the mirror in the bathroom: when ‘window’ is open, then the natural lighting helps but when standing at the mirror, the lights shine on the countertop and don’t light the face

—eliminate the motorized curtains: they are kind of neat but there were times we only wanted one side of the drapes closed (to eliminate glare on TV) and drapes could only have open or closed

—larger nightstands and include a drawer in them: yes, with the balcony-facing bed (loved that!), there wasn’t much room for nightstands but as this is only a wish, thought I’d add it

—an actual bar in the Retreat lounge, with a bartender to make cocktails, pour wine, and in the AM would also be a barista

I haven’t looked at the Beyond details to see what is the same or different on it vs. Edge. But we’re already booked for Jan 2023!!

I like the motorized curtains but I do think the controls could be better. I noticed for example that if I tried manually partign them (to look outside while my DW was asleep) they would fully open. Anyone figure out how to keep that from happening?

I'd be happy if they took that Beyond ad off all the frappin' monitors on board other ships.  You know the one--the one with all the renderings that nearly makes one seasick and have a seizure just from looking at it.  It's also just tacky to have it anywhere other than the Future Cruise area.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, gold1953 said:

well I have had an attendant open our door and walk in while we were there! They know  your habits quickly unless you change your routine.

If your door is locked they can’t get in and if you are in the cabin and don’t want to be disturbed put out the do not disturbed sign. 🤔   Easy.   Having a sign to make up the room isn’t going to keep them out in your situation.  🤷‍♂️

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Wow! How very Rude.

What was meant to be a light hearted thread about things that have not been thought through properly and that can easily be changed should not be turned into a personal attack

A different perspective on things presented in a different way is not rude, unless of course you take it as a personal affront. Think of my post as "light-hearted" while at the same time realizing that it doesn't have to be something abiotic to be unappealing or unattractive. Removing animate objects from certain spaces can also create more pleasing environs. For you and Bugsy, not having me as a poster on this thread is a perfect example. Although meant to be, I do not take that personally and it certainly is not rude. Naive, perhaps. But not rude. 

What about that different looking hull on the Edge Class ships? I like it.   

Well I can truly say I have no ideals or wishes for the Beyond before I booked it.  Just what little I saw the ship just looks absolutely stunning.  Oddly I started looking at more things about Celebrity after my mother was telling me about Bug Naked.  I loved things I saw about the Edge, and finally saw what I think are pretty decent prices to book the Beyond.  This will really be our first time in a suite area (the Retreat?) and I just think the whole ship sounds wonderful.  I can't wait.  

Edited by mom2tcdx2
typo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, George C said:

Larger pool in retreat

In looking at the renderings for Beyond it looks like they have made a number of improvements to the Retreat sundeck, (although these might be mitigated somewhat by the increase in the number of suites I believe is also occuring). Most importantly is connecting the back part of the deck (which I began calling "Pergutory" on our recent Edge trip) to the front part in a better way. It also looks like they have moved the hot tub back into this area and added a second hot tub. Not sure if the pool is getting bigger, maybe a little, but these other changes should make it seem as such. I'm liking what I see at least in the drawings.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Well I can truly say I have no ideals or wishes for the Beyond before I booked it.  Just what little I saw the ship just looks absolutely stunning.  Oddly I started looking at more things about Celebrity after my mother was telling me about Bug Naked.  I loved things I saw about the Edge, and finally saw what I think are pretty decent prices to book the Beyond.  This will really be our first time in a suite area (the Retreat?) and I just think the whole ship sounds wonderful.  I can't wait.  

You will be absolutely satisfied with your choice and in awe of Beyond. Whether you booked because of a hairless kitty cat or a stylish, well-toned ship, plan on a grand experience.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miaminative0853 said:

Most importantly is connecting the back part of the deck (which I began calling "Purgatory" on our recent Edge trip) to the front part in a better way.

TBH I like the way the current setup is in that there's a busy area and a quieter area. On my cruise on the Apex I always used a lounger in the rear section and never felt 'second class'. The attendants equally come to check on everyone in that section so there wasn't any service issues. 

- fix the underpowered hair dryers so that the button doesn't need to be depressed to use them.

- Hard Pass on the "Catfish Brandy Foam" amuse bouche.  The table was torn on the right translation for the communal "*****!?!" reaction.

- Bathroom locks: Throw stickers on the door for Lock versus Unlock.

-  Enforcement of masks in the fitness center.

- Enhance the deck plan to show the obstructed view of the 12th floor Magic Carpet S3s.  I was expecting a cutout, and there was no cutout on the railing.

- OMG, the grammatical errors!!! SPELLCHECK should be run on ->EVERYTHING<-. 

- More trashcans in public spaces.  Add dish returns around the Resort Deck.

- Remove the "drunk toddler playing marimba", "discordant organ", and "sick whale in the distance" from the ever present soundtrack on the Resort deck, Solarium, and Spa areas.  Their ASMR audio engineers have hate in their heart for us passengers.

- Please add a bit more energetic music to the DJ rotation.

Thank you for this opportunity to share constructive criticism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, miched said:

If your door is locked they can’t get in and if you are in the cabin and don’t want to be disturbed put out the do not disturbed sign. 🤔   Easy.   Having a sign to make up the room isn’t going to keep them out in your situation.  🤷‍♂️

Happy cruising. 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have been cruising a while,. They can enter any locked room.! That is how they help sick people and find bodies.

We were out of bed and dressed so not need of a do not disturb sign. They should never walk into a room!

23 hours ago, dln929 said:

Totally agree about #5 as I saw lots of irritated women in the restrooms when we were on Apex at the beginning of the month.  Like is it so hard to put a red/green indicator as you see in European bathroom stall doors?  It's not rocket science. 

What I would like to see--and no, it's surely not too late to tweak this little item for the next Edge class ship (and yes, it's strictly my opinion and no one else's):  brighten up the soft goods.  The decor on Apex is such a muddied, drab color scheme.  Monotone monotone monotone.  It's a ship of gray and brown.

Even a porta-potty has a red/green indicator.  Agreed.

As to the bland color scheme, seems that's a Kelly Hoppen trademark.  🤔 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, canderson said:

Even a porta-potty has a red/green indicator.  Agreed.

As to the bland color scheme, seems that's a Kelly Hoppen trademark.  🤔 

I am someone who thinks the term 'pop of color' should be outlawed, but at least they didn't go with MSC's 1987 brown and 1992 hospital room green on a ship that is only a few months old 🤢

1071323807_ScreenShot2022-01-28at8_57_30AM.png.c16d6cafbf79dfdd945c8aa754923744.png1253146461_ScreenShot2022-01-28at8_58_20AM.png.560f4f6b52bff1ef40999467cf6a0123.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I am someone who thinks the term 'pop of color' should be outlawed, but at least they didn't go with MSC's 1987 brown and 1992 hospital room green on a ship that is only a few months old 🤢

1071323807_ScreenShot2022-01-28at8_57_30AM.png.c16d6cafbf79dfdd945c8aa754923744.png1253146461_ScreenShot2022-01-28at8_58_20AM.png.560f4f6b52bff1ef40999467cf6a0123.png

Must just be me, I kind of like the green LOL.  The brown is OK.  I have sailed on Carnival a lot and i am really tired of their orangish coloring in the cabins.  Right now out of all ships I have been on I would say the MSC Seaside has to be the most beautiful ship I have ever seen.  Hoping the Beyond will outdo that one.