Question about Covid testing at Cruise port.

Shipswap

We will need to be tested at the cruise port prior to boarding our plane back to Canada. 
What happens if we test positive at this point and must quarantine? Are we still covered by the Healthy at Sea or 

are we on our own? 

As a fellow Canadian, this stresses  me out!  Our next cruise on Apex is this summer in Europe and I can’t deal with the thought of being stranded in Amsterdam.  Honestly thinking of cancelling and rebooking everything, including our Princess cruise, until 2023.  If you go, please let us know how it works out.  I’ll be crossing my fingers for you!  Good luck!

We are cruising the Refection Sept 2022 out of Rome, and feel the stress of the testing also.  We were hoping that Celebrity would be doing it on the ship but looks like that has changed.  We would be flying to Toronto right after the cruise

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

As I understand it, as soon as you are off the ship and in the terminal you are on your own and not Celebrity’s responsibility

You would need to quarantine on your own.  Once you leave the ship you are responsible for your quarantine and flights.

Celebrity will cover up to 5 days (per CDC guidelines) of quarantine expenses up to $350 per day for hotel and $100 per day for food if you test positive on a PCR administered by their agent (aka the 3rd party company they bring in to do your test) shoreside. 

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Celebrity will cover up to 5 days (per CDC guidelines) of quarantine expenses up to $350 per day for hotel and $100 per day for food if you test positive on a PCR administered by their agent (aka the 3rd party company they bring in to do your test) shoreside. 

So even though they are not testing on the ship anymore theyll still cover this? That would be very reassuring if so

19 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

As a fellow Canadian, this stresses  me out!  Our next cruise on Apex is this summer in Europe and I can’t deal with the thought of being stranded in Amsterdam.  Honestly thinking of cancelling and rebooking everything, including our Princess cruise, until 2023.  If you go, please let us know how it works out.  I’ll be crossing my fingers for you!  Good luck!

We are on the Apex in May for the British Isles cruise. We will also end the cruise in Amsterdam. Quarantine would be expensive and complicated as several jurisdictions and protocols are involved.

As a Canadian I am looking into insurance from Manulife that seems to be offering some Quarantine coverage. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shipswap said:

We are on the Apex in May for the British Isles cruise. We will also end the cruise in Amsterdam. Quarantine would be expensive and complicated as several jurisdictions and protocols are involved.

As a Canadian I am looking into insurance from Manulife that seems to be offering some Quarantine coverage. 

I’m more concerned about having to stay in Amsterdam and not going home.  Insurance may cover the cost involved, but not my anxiety.  I would rather wait to cruise in 2023.

16 hours ago, Cruisingrampy said:

So even though they are not testing on the ship anymore theyll still cover this? That would be very reassuring if so

Celebrity is testing those with symptoms on board.  Those people are covered by Celebrity.  As well as those doing a B2B on RCCL or X.  If you require a test simply to travel - airline,  another non-Celebrity cruise- and test positive after disembarkation you are on your own.

18 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Celebrity is not testing shoreline.  That has changed.  

Thank you Shipswap for this thread and for the Manulife suggestion. I really appreciate it and will definitely look it up.

Our cruise on Silhouette, England, Scotland, Ireland and Iceland is fast approaching, and I would really hate to have to cancel it.

I am still struggling with how many Covid Test will be required, what options do we have if returning to Canada more than 24 hours after debarkation, and costs related to an unexpected quarantine: prolonged hotel stay, restaurants and flight change...

My wife and I are retired, so timing of our return will not be critical, however, the possibility of unexpected significant additional costs, will impact our decision.

It used to be so easy to book a trip before Covid...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I know that Celebrity makes frequent changes to its end of cruise testing policy for those requiring one for their travels home, but I've seen no notification that they've stopped using a 3rd party to conduct tests shoreside. The website currently says:

All fully vaccinated guests requiring a COVID-19 test to return to their home country will be provided the opportunity to receive testing in the cruise port during disembarkation. Proof of return travel scheduled within 24 hours of disembarkation will be required. Details on testing registration will be provided onboard. Testing will be complimentary for guests with cruise reservations booked prior to November 16, 2021. For new bookings made on or after November 16, 2021, testing will be available for a per person fee. The cost for onsite cruise port testing starts at $99* per person.  Prices vary by port and test type. 

*Test prices are set by each vendor and not by Celebrity Cruises. Payments will be made directly to the vendor providing the service. Celebrity Cruises will not collect or retain any portion of this payment.

Just a thought about the question of,

Does Celebrity honour the last exit Covid test as part of the Safe Passage Home programme?
If they do not, wouldn’t passengers just report ‘ scratchy throat and a headache’ the day before disembarked? 
I can’t help but think that this contingency wouldn’t have been worked into their business model.

4 hours ago, Shipswap said:

Just a thought about the question of,

Does Celebrity honour the last exit Covid test as part of the Safe Passage Home programme?
If they do not, wouldn’t passengers just report ‘ scratchy throat and a headache’ the day before disembarked? 
I can’t help but think that this contingency wouldn’t have been worked into their business model.

I just talked to celebrity and they do not honor it. So my plan is to take my own proctored test onboard test myself one of the last nights and if i test positive get them to test me on board

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing the info that you received from Celebrity. 
I agree that taking testing into our own hands before leaving the ship is the only way to ensure that one isn’t picking up a huge quarantine bill with a infection acquired while on board.

The alternative is that I cancel. 

On 1/29/2022 at 3:34 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

I just got off Edge yesterday and absolutely was tested shoreside. The only people they test on the ship are those with symptoms and those doing back to back sailings. 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 6:20 PM, Ginnyfyr said:

I'm being cautious not making a interpretation of actual policy and suggest the OP contact Celebrity for clarification .   Sorry.. not an attack.

The Celebrity website states -

If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost.   My interpretation is that if you tested positive off the ship  in the terminal after the cruise, I would not be covered

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm being cautious not making a interpretation of actual policy and suggest the OP contact Celebrity for clarification .   Sorry.. not an attack.

The Celebrity website states -

If you test positive for COVID-19 onboard during your cruise, Celebrity Cruises will cover the cost.   My interpretation is that if you tested positive off the ship  in the terminal after the cruise, I would not be covered

Not read as an attack at all! Full disclosure, I'm a travel agent and I have several online chats saved with Celebrity leading up to my own cruise where they said they would cover quarantine costs post sailing, per CDC guidelines, as long as the test result was from the company they hired. My husband and I purchased Covid insurance coverage that would pay up to $200 per day in quarantine costs just to be safe, so we felt sufficiently covered regardless, but I do not think that Celebrity is using shoreside testing as a way to get out of honouring the promises their policies indicate online (I've yet to hear or read of an account of a passenger saying Celebrity screwed them over when they tested positive shoreside at the end of their cruise).

8 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Not read as an attack at all! Full disclosure, I'm a travel agent and I have several online chats saved with Celebrity leading up to my own cruise where they said they would cover quarantine costs post sailing, per CDC guidelines, as long as the test result was from the company they hired. My husband and I purchased Covid insurance coverage that would pay up to $200 per day in quarantine costs just to be safe, so we felt sufficiently covered regardless, but I do not think that Celebrity is using shoreside testing as a way to get out of honouring the promises their policies indicate online (I've yet to hear or read of an account of a passenger saying Celebrity screwed them over when they tested positive shoreside at the end of their cruise).

Wish you luck.  Celebrity was covering cost if your shoreside testing was positive.  2 Canadian friends were on their own last week when they tested positive shoreside.  Really clear that no testing on board without symptoms- agree really vague.

4 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Wish you luck.  Celebrity was covering cost if your shoreside testing was positive.  2 Canadian friends were on their own last week when they tested positive shoreside.  Really clear that no testing on board without symptoms- agree really vague.

Did they have the testing provided by Celebrity or did they go off and get their own test? Several Celebrity agents told me that as long as the test was provided by the company they hired to do it, we would be covered if we tested positive.