What percentage before we turn red status?

phoenix_dream

5 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This thread has really gone sideways from the original question.  A few days ago our ship was at 3%. Yesterday we were told more cases but no specifics. Still wondering if anyone has been on a cruise since resumption with a higher percentage than that? And if so how much higher? Our cruise ends Friday  (writing this on Tuesday) so I'm thinking it's safe to say the cruise will likely continue in its entirety. People continue to dance maskless and Luminae is pretty full with no ability to social distance.  That doesn't help the figures I'm sure.

Have you stopped at any ports of call? It's possible that positive crew were disembarked/replaced bringing the rate back below 3%.

1 minute ago, cgolf1 said:

Have people been pretty good in general with masks onboard? We plan on not attending big gatherings onboard. Wish I would say its because of Covid, but we have always not gone to things like the silent disco, apparently we aren't that social:)

Yes, in general,  with the exceptions I mentioned.  Problem though is many people with cloth masks which aren't anywhere near as effective as N95 or KN95.

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Have you stopped at any ports of call? It's possible that positive crew were disembarked/replaced bringing the rate back below 3%.

They are not disembarking anyone. Unless a medical emergency you test positive you get put in the red zone cabins and isolate until we return back to Tampa and if needed more then in a hotel. Both crew or passengers 

2 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Yes, in general,  with the exceptions I mentioned.  Problem though is many people with cloth masks which aren't anywhere near as effective as N95 or KN95.

Agreed on the cloth mask, we have our KN95s packed so we should be better protected, Just have to decide if we wear them between courses at meals. Will likely depend on how close others are to our table. 

27 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This thread has really gone sideways from the original question.  A few days ago our ship was at 3%. Yesterday we were told more cases but no specifics. Still wondering if anyone has been on a cruise since resumption with a higher percentage than that? And if so how much higher? Our cruise ends Friday  (writing this on Tuesday) so I'm thinking it's safe to say the cruise will likely continue in its entirety. People continue to dance maskless and Luminae is pretty full with no ability to social distance.  That doesn't help the figures I'm sure.

You're unfortunately not going to get a factual answer. No one really knows. If there is any good news with Omicron, it's that a Red status seems pretty unlikely. One of the main drivers would be the number of positive cases would stress the onboard medical facilities. There is clearly sustained transmission, but if even the sickest people just feel generally bad without needing extra medical care they are not going to terminate the cruise. 

Red Ship Criteria

For a ship to be considered at Red status, the ship has:

• sustained transmission of COVID-19 or CLI, or
  • potential for COVID-19 cases to overwhelm on board medical center resources.

In addition, CDC will work closely with the cruise line and consider multiple factors before assigning a “Red” status to the ship. These factors may include, but are not limited to the following:

Percent of passengers and crew on board who are fully vaccinated.

• Variants of concern are identified among cases on board.
  • Epidemiologic data from EDC reporting (e.g., symptomatic persons on board requiring medical care)
  • Epidemiologic links between cases.
  • Number of hospital beds, ventilators, oxygen, and other medical supplies on board relative to the number of cases on board.

40 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

They are not disembarking anyone. Unless a medical emergency you test positive you get put in the red zone cabins and isolate until we return back to Tampa and if needed more then in a hotel. Both crew or passengers 

Interesting. There have been reports of other Celebrity ships offloading positive crew. I wonder why Connie wouldn't be doing it too.

44 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

Agreed on the cloth mask, we have our KN95s packed so we should be better protected, Just have to decide if we wear them between courses at meals. Will likely depend on how close others are to our table. 

Wow, that sounds like a great vacation!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ch175 said:

Wow, that sounds like a great vacation!

It will be a great trip, lots of sun, great food, and hopefully some good shows. The best parts are less people onboard and no work and no thinking about work! 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Interesting. There have been reports of other Celebrity ships offloading positive crew. I wonder why Connie wouldn't be doing it too.

You've seen reports of crew being offloaded mid cruise?  I would only think that would be the case if they required medical care.   I know RCL is using ships out of service in FLL to quarantine crew and I would assume Celebrity may be doing the same.

I'm not sure there are any out of service RCG ships in the Tampa area to be used for this.   I know on our 1/3 and 1/14 B2B crew were out for quarantine and then were back 10 days later.  The CD and several entertainers were the most visible.'

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I have not heard of any crew being offloaded except in Tampa.  I don't know why they would do that.  

15 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I have not heard of any crew being offloaded except in Tampa.  I don't know why they would do that.  

They offload crew because many islands require less than 1% of the total people on-board to be infected if the ships in order to disembark passengers in many islands.  The easy solution is to disembark crew that are infected allowing them to quarantine on-shore to reduce the number onboard that are infected.

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

Where have you seen Celebrity crew evacuated midcruise?  Both Celebrity and RCCL ships have been used for quarantined or infected crew members.

2 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Where have you seen Celebrity crew evacuated midcruise?  Both Celebrity and RCCL ships have been used for quarantined or infected crew members.

The Equinox published a letter that said they are quarantining crew members from the Equinox on shore this week

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

You've seen reports of crew being offloaded mid cruise?

44 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

18 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

It's been discussed here on CC and elsewhere. During the Omicron spike Celebrity has removed positive crew from ships in an effort to keep case counts down. Particularly to get back under 1% for Caribbean islands that required that threshold to call there.

18 hours ago, chamima said:

Rick - FWIW - my husband got the "flu" (he tested positive for the flu but we both still wonder if it wasn't Covid) on a cruise in early March 2020 and was quarantined in our cabin. Granted this was Princess but he was definitely NOT allowed to walk the halls.

@chamimasorry to hear that.  We think we had COVID-like symptoms on Eclipse in Jan 2020 around S. America and a lot of the ship was sick.  Even though COVID was not supposed to be around then.  A month later it was stuck in the Pacific and not allowed to disembark passengers.  

Anyway my only point is that influenza is no joke and most people with symptoms do not even get tested- particularly on ships.  I do not honestly know the isolation and quarantine policy for influenza on Celebrity ships if there is one at all.  But I do know that if I test positive for COVID with no symptoms because I was traced to somebody on the ship, I spend the rest of my cruise in the Red Zone.  I am just offering the opinion that this seems like an over-reaction at this point.  I understand why of course.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

@chamimasorry to hear that.  We think we had COVID-like symptoms on Eclipse in Jan 2020 around S. America and a lot of the ship was sick.  Even though COVID was not supposed to be around then.  A month later it was stuck in the Pacific and not allowed to disembark passengers.  

Anyway my only point is that influenza is no joke and most people with symptoms do not even get tested- particularly on ships.  I do not honestly know the isolation and quarantine policy for influenza on Celebrity ships if there is one at all.  But I do know that if I test positive for COVID with no symptoms because I was traced to somebody on the ship, I spend the rest of my cruise in the Red Zone.  I am just offering the opinion that this seems like an over-reaction at this point.  I understand why of course.  

Exactly why we will not cruise right now and I have had Covid, just would not take the chance of being "exposed" on-board and being stuck in room different than what I booked.  That said I really need a vacation, this has been a very cold and snowy winter and Mexico is a relatively easy place to go to from US and their Covid restrictions are not difficult to deal with.  Time to move forward...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Exactly why we will not cruise right now and I have had Covid, just would not take the chance of being "exposed" on-board and being stuck in room different than what I booked.  That said I really need a vacation, this has been a very cold and snowy winter and Mexico is a relatively easy place to go to from US and their Covid restrictions are not difficult to deal with.  Time to move forward...

We are doing land vacations the next couple of months.  The cost to rent a house near the beach in parts of the Southern US for an entire month is less than what we would pay for the two of us sailing on Celebrity in a suite for a week.  And we do not have to worry about being locked in the Red Zone.   And we can take our pup with us too.  And have our kids visit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You're right!

When my husband was quarantined in our cabin (I tested negative and so was allowed to roam the ship freely) at least he was in the cabin we booked with the huge aft balcony.

However, he became pretty sick at one point and the medical care was not exactly of the quality we receive at home so that's also a consideration for cruising now. Even though "most" people don't get that sick you don't want to be that one person.

I agree that land vacations are, for the first time in a long time, looking more attractive.

6 minutes ago, chamima said:

You're right!

When my husband was quarantined in our cabin (I tested negative and so was allowed to roam the ship freely) at least he was in the cabin we booked with the huge aft balcony.

However, he became pretty sick at one point and the medical care was not exactly of the quality we receive at home so that's also a consideration for cruising now. Even though "most" people don't get that sick you don't want to be that one person.

I agree that land vacations are, for the first time in a long time, looking more attractive.

You husband tested positive for Covid?

6 minutes ago, chamima said:

You're right!

I am glad that he has recovered.  My bout with Covid was mild, from chest up, really felt like a mild head cold, self quarantined for 10 days.  What is interesting (dumb?) is that the CDC has added Mexico to it's high alert AKA do not go, some countries have the US on the do not go to list.  So done with it all.  I take precautions, mask indoors, 3x vaxed but being at a large all-inclusive resort on the water, where we can very easily "social distance" does not worry me one iota.  Booked it last night for 10 days, taking my son and his GF with us and he was like, whoa dad, you're leaving the bubble, good on you!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RichYak said:

It's been discussed here on CC and elsewhere. During the Omicron spike Celebrity has removed positive crew from ships in an effort to keep case counts down. Particularly to get back under 1% for Caribbean islands that required that threshold to call there.

Currently crew is being removed on turnaround day in port, not mid-cruise. 

If the 'elsewhere' is the 30k member group, remember that 29.9k of those have no clue what they are talking about 🤯 

19 hours ago, chamima said:

Rick - FWIW - my husband got the "flu" (he tested positive for the flu but we both still wonder if it wasn't Covid) on a cruise in early March 2020 and was quarantined in our cabin. Granted this was Princess but he was definitely NOT allowed to walk the halls.

10 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

You husband tested positive for Covid?

No. We were on the 28 day LA-Tahiti cruise on Princess in Feb/March of 2020 and towards the end he got very sick and tested positive for the flu. (There were no Covid tests at that time).  He was very sick and ended up with pneumonia when we got home. Lots of people on the ship were coughing .We still wonder if it was really Covid but we'll never know.

I was just saying that at least he was quarantined in the wonderful balcony cabin we had booked - not some inside somewhere else.

On 1/30/2022 at 10:13 AM, TeeRick said:

It is truly a moral dilemma.  How would any of us decide?  Very interesting study of human nature.  Books will be written about this for ethics and philosophy courses. LOL.  But passengers are forced into this dilemma since the world, the CDC and the cruise lines are forced to treat positive tests - mostly with minor cold symptoms- like it is still the plague it was in March 2020.  Even though all passengers on Celebrity are fully vaccinated and many have a booster.  The data overwhelming shows not much serious health risk to them from Omicron.  That is primarily why I am not cruising right now.  Not for health concerns.  But the risk of getting caught up in all this hysteria.

Let me see.  I was fully vaccinated, and then received the booster 8 weeks prior to sailing.  The last 36 hours of the cruise I was not well. By the time I got I was truly sick. Tested positive for Omicron.  Have now been sick for over 1 month. Still have residual cough, sore throat, shallow breathing, nasal congestion and occasional chills.  So... I take great exception and offense to your reducing the current status as being hysteria and treated too seriously.  And, that is being calm , because you have no idea what I would really like to say...

Edited by Guppy99
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

Let me see.  I was fully vaccinated, and then received the booster 8 weeks prior to sailing.  The last 36 hours of the cruise I was not well. By the time I got I was truly sick. Tested positive for Omicron.  Have now been sick for over 1 month. Still have residual cough, sore throat, shallow breathing, nasal congestion and occasional chills.  So... I take great exception and offense to your reducing the current status as being hysteria and treated too seriously.  And, that is being calm , because you have no idea what I would really like to say...

Sorry to hear of your illness truly.  But my comments were much more general in nature and were not targeting you or meant to offend you.  If I did- not my intention at all.  Most (not all) vaccinated and boosted people are very well protected from serious illness from Omicron.  The data is highly definitive about that from the CDC or any other legitimate medical source.   Again sorry about your case and hope you recover soon.  

• Like 3