Tell me about air through Celebrity.

Dolebludger

For those of you who have booked air through Celebrity, how do you find the cost compared to booking it yourself?  Can you book something better than basic economy, like premium economy or business? And in general, what are the advantages and disadvantages of booking through Celebrity?

I read the first post, but couldn’t read the second. For some reason, CC won’t let me into some threads. All I get is a blank page with the title on it for the second thread in our post. 

But thanks for the info. I’ll certainly consider it. 

Compare the fares yourself.  If Celebrity has a group block cheaper.  Just be sure with both the airlines you read the change snd cancellation fees.  Most that have complained here did not understand.   Celebrity used to completely refund on a cancellation.   That has changed.

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

For those of you who have booked air through Celebrity, how do you find the cost compared to booking it yourself?  Can you book something better than basic economy, like premium economy or business? And in general, what are the advantages and disadvantages of booking through Celebrity?

For us, it is much more the convenience than the cost.  Not going to nickel and dime over a hundred bucks or so when paying $10K+ for a cruise

1 hour ago, Dolebludger said:

Celebrity Air does not work with all airlines.  Also, make sure you are comparing the exact same class of service.  That is, you have to compare basic economy to basic economy.  

Celebrity Air is a consolidator, much like booking through Expedia.  Be sure to know all the fine print that goes along with the booking.  Also, if changes need to be made there is often a charge, even if the airline isn’t currently charging.

We are most concerned about the class of air (hint, we just won’t fly basic economy). Also, we don’t want too many connections. For the cruises we are looking at, the start and stop port would be either FL or PR. We can get a flight to either Denver or Dallas. From these places direct flights are available to these ports. We don’t want additional connections. And of course, we want the best price.

From our experience Flights by X can be more expensive or less expensive than booking direct with the airlines. Always check. In addition if prices drop on airlines, X does not always give you the reduced fare (it has happened to us & ended up costing $500 more than if we booked with the AL.) Also watch the small print & change or cancellation fees. You can generally select seats & class of service booking direct. If you pay airlines direct , some offer refunds while others provide a credit . If you can use ff miles & cancel miles are put back into your account without any fees.

Edited by dabear

52 minutes ago, CyberTag said:

Celebrity Air is a consolidator, much like booking through Expedia.  Be sure to know all the fine print that goes along with the booking.  Also, if changes need to be made there is often a charge, even if the airline isn’t currently charging.

Ah, sorta.  They're part of a consortium.  Their consortium sometimes, but not always, has access to consolidator fares for a particular cruise.  Right now, I have to use a different consolidator for our October '22 one-way Barcelona TA to save a couple of $1K for a pair of business class seats.  Celebrity's prices are ☹️  the same as booking directly with the airlines. 

We usually book through the airlines. However, we are using Flights by Celebrity this fall for a cruise from Australia. Airfare was same price from both airline and Celebrity. Only reason that we booked through Celebrity is that airfare is refundable and isn’t due until final payment. Hopefully by final payment we will know whether it’s a go. 

First question - you can purchase Coach, Coach Plus, Business Class and First Class.   If you don't find a flight you like call and they will look at all available.  

Pre-Covid Flights by Celebrity offered some really great deals especially on international flights most of these were non-refundable which caused a big problem when cruises shut down and Celebrity had to negotiate with the airlines to get things refunded.   Currently most of the flights are refundable and much more expensive for international.   You do find some bargains at time on domestic but I normally find the same rate as booking with airlines direct.

The main advantage of Flights by Celebrity is you don't need to pay anything until final payment  where if you book with the airline you pay at time of booking.   Also with flights by celebrity you cancel anytime prior to final payment for no cost.   Downside if after payment you want to change something or cancel there is a $100 pp fee.   

An advantage many people hold up is that if their is a flight delay or miss- connection at no fault of the passenger they will get your to the destination or next port.    Post covid that is not possible as they don't allow downline boarding.

Best to shop for prices on a site like Google Flights (not an agency)  You can set up alerts and they also recommend when you should by.

11 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

We now book through celebrity.  We get our mile and I first search myself for the flights and rates I want to pay.  Sometimes celebrity might charge a small surcharge.  However, you do not pay for the air if booked with celebrity, until cruise fare is due.  We find that a great advantage. as previously stated.  We usually book first class as we enjoy a more comfortable two in a row seat.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

We've booked a number of times through Celebrity. As mentioned, do your research first so you know your options. 

Our last experience was a complete mess! X left us stranded in Ecuador after a flight cancellation (we knew about the cancellation two days in advance). There was absolutely no support or guidance. So much for their emergency travel support! 

We will not use them again. 

15 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

First question - you can purchase Coach, Coach Plus, Business Class and First Class.   If you don't find a flight you like call and they will look at all available.  

Pre-Covid Flights by Celebrity offered some really great deals especially on international flights most of these were non-refundable which caused a big problem when cruises shut down and Celebrity had to negotiate with the airlines to get things refunded.   Currently most of the flights are refundable and much more expensive for international.   You do find some bargains at time on domestic but I normally find the same rate as booking with airlines direct.

The main advantage of Flights by Celebrity is you don't need to pay anything until final payment  where if you book with the airline you pay at time of booking.   Also with flights by celebrity you cancel anytime prior to final payment for no cost.   Downside if after payment you want to change something or cancel there is a $100 pp fee.   

An advantage many people hold up is that if their is a flight delay or miss- connection at no fault of the passenger they will get your to the destination or next port.    Post covid that is not possible as they don't allow downline boarding.

Best to shop for prices on a site like Google Flights (not an agency)  You can set up alerts and they also recommend when you should by.

Great points as always.  I had to pay the $100 per person change fee after final payment recently. It irritated me a little, since a direct booking would get me a credit for no charge. CA did give me a full cash refund.  I was able to save much more with my new direct air booking using a recent air credit.

As long as the airlines continues to be flexibility with no charge credits, I have a new approach.  
I will continue to book with CA (with my preferred airlines and flights) if the air fare is less or the same.  I will make sure to do a final check prior to my  final cruise payment.  If a direct booking is close to the same price, I will cancel my CA, and then book direct with the airline.  The assumption is that I will use the air credit at some point.  

Edited by jagoffee