Mask Requirements Extended to April 14?

wake74

Haven't seen this posted yet, but it looks like RCCL has extended the current mask mandates through April 14.  I was really hoping with the dramatic drop in Omicron, and the new info coming out about the real efficacy of masks that they would rethink this before our April 8th Wonder Cruise.  Seems premature to go ahead and extend the indoor mask mandate another 60 days.

Thoughts?

37 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

All mandates will probably be over soon. Hopefully. 

That's certainly the hope, but I am not too optimistic.  If Omicron drops significantly in the next 30 days, mask fatigue is going to hit hard.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wake74 said:

Haven't seen this posted yet, but it looks like RCCL has extended the current mask mandates through April 14.  I was really hoping with the dramatic drop in Omicron, and the new info coming out about the real efficacy of masks that they would rethink this before our April 8th Wonder Cruise.  Seems premature to go ahead and extend the indoor mask mandate another 60 days.

Thoughts?

Where did you see this announcement? I've got cruises scheduled for March and April and didn't see any new emails about this today. The latest extension on the website is through Feb 14th for Florida sailings--I didn't check other departure ports. 

"This includes at venues reserved for vaccinated guests only. Note that this policy is in place for all sailings departing on or before February 14, 2022, at which point it will be reevaluated."

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

41 minutes ago, wake74 said:

That's certainly the hope, but I am not too optimistic.  If Omicron drops significantly in the next 30 days, mask fatigue is going to hit hard.

Don't count on it - now they have the Omicron B variant to help keep the pot stirred up.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, tarheel3559 said:

Where did you see this announcement? I've got cruises scheduled for March and April and didn't see any new emails about this today. The latest extension on the website is through Feb 14th for Florida sailings--I didn't check other departure ports. 

"This includes at venues reserved for vaccinated guests only. Note that this policy is in place for all sailings departing on or before February 14, 2022, at which point it will be reevaluated."

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/getting-ready-to-cruise

The info concerning April 14th date was sent to Travel Agents concerning San Juan, Barbados and US Ports only.

I consider this a “You’ve Been Warned / Notified” requirement; if you can’t stand sailing with a mask, don’t book a cruise during this period.

If case numbers and deaths really improve, they can always drop the requirement any time they like.  Although that would probably cause consternation among some who enjoy the extra layer of precautions.  

• Like 5

I've sailed a few times since last November and wearing a mask is no big deal. Don't wear it when I'm on the pool deck, only really wear it when I'm walking from our cabin to the show or dinner. It's a lot easier than wearing my mask from airport to ship cabin!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, mek said:

Don't count on it - now they have the Omicron B variant to help keep the pot stirred up.

They have Omicron A,B,C. Seems that they're more or less the same. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

THere will quickly come a point where people are going to get turned off of these protocols as their every day lives get more and more back to normal.

I've come to regard the mask as being "normal" now. I wear it 8hrs a day at work, and then I'll often have 3-4hrs of errands and wear it for those as well.  Today I actually forgot to take it off when I got home and realized it about 20min later.

I've managed to evade Covid so far, although more than half of my workplace has had it. But I can also say that I haven't had as much as a cold in the last 2 years and my allergies have also been way better, which is a first for me in about 30 years. So honestly I'm kinda liking the masks. My cousin makes mine, they're really comfortable and I pick out the fabrics so I'm getting exactly what I want. I just consider them an accessory now.

Plus I can mouth insults to people and they have no idea 🙂

• Like 15
  • Haha 11

I fly a lot for work, so am certainly not unaccustomed to wearing a mask.  It's all just theater.  If I go into the office for a business meeting, and 6 of us sit at at a 15 foot table, masks are required.  When that same group goes out for a business dinner, and sit at a 5' table for 3 hours, no masks.   

We'll cruise on the Wonder in about 2 months with or without masks and I forecast a great time either way. I suspect the ship will sail close to full (brand new ship, Spring Break, fairly high costs per cabin average, a company desperate for revenue), and if Omicron stats  continue to drop at the current rate, I'm also forecasting enforcement will be next to impossible.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, wake74 said:

Haven't seen this posted yet, but it looks like RCCL has extended the current mask mandates through April 14.  I was really hoping with the dramatic drop in Omicron, and the new info coming out about the real efficacy of masks that they would rethink this before our April 8th Wonder Cruise.  Seems premature to go ahead and extend the indoor mask mandate another 60 days. Thoughts?

Great News! You want to make those announcements well in advance, otherwise people complain about "last minute changes to protocols". They can drop the requirement at any time, but that is unlikely. 

I actually hate wearing a mask but certainly wouldn't cancel a cruise over it.

If they want me to wear a mask to cruise, I will wear a mask, as annoying as it is, and get on with a great cruise vacation.

Edited by DT1304
  • Like 8

It will be very interesting to see how RC handle the summer season in Europe. Much of Europe has started easing restrictions already. In Ireland we are more ‘open’ than we have been since March 2020. Masks are currently to be worn in retail settings but that is being reviewed at the end of February. The current expectation / hope is that this Summer will be very normal.
If RC don’t adopt local norms when they bring Wonder to Europe, in my opinion, there will be a lot of Europeans cancelling in favour of a land based vacation. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

It will be very interesting to see how RC handle the summer season in Europe. Much of Europe has started easing restrictions already. In Ireland we are more ‘open’ than we have been since March 2020. Masks are currently to be worn in retail settings but that is being reviewed at the end of February. The current expectation / hope is that this Summer will be very normal.
If RC don’t adopt local norms when they bring Wonder to Europe, in my opinion, there will be a lot of Europeans cancelling in favour of a land based vacation. 

Well "local norms" in many parts of Europe are much more stringent than the USA.   Germany has had mask mandates at indoor public areas almost throughout Covid.  It became surgical or FFP2/N95 masks only several months ago and in many areas (including my state) it's FFP2/N95 masks required.   It's pretty much second nature to wear them by now.

In Italy this past fall many places (grocery stores, hotels, etc) had scanners out front.  It took your temperature and verified both nose and mouth were covered before the door would open.  Masks and proof if vaccinated were required mist everywhere, even to go into the cathedral in Florence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2