Ocean Medallion on Princess problems

You're probably better asking this in the Princess forum, or you might even find the answer from reading some of the threads there.

Most people here who are booked on Princess are probably like me - can't be bother to install the app until they know their cruise will go ahead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Yeah, I find the app leaves me less than appy.

Some parts seems to work fine, but other parts are really annoying, if not unusable.

Don't know why they didn't run it in conjunction with the web site, until it works smoothly.

I was assuming the app didn't like my Samsung android, but if its giving problems on apples too, its not much use at all.

Princess developers need to lift their game.

John L.

I've tried to put in my details but it seems to be very picky as to what it wants.  Found when putting in my emergency contact details I had to do it one line at a time.  It couldn't deal with 2 lines.

It treats my b2b cruises as one cruise and allocates the same room for both!  The second cruise doesn't show up as a separate cruise unless I log in specifically with that booking number.

I spoke with my planner about it and he said that they were thinking about allowing us to put the information in on a computer like we used to. 

Very frustrating but I am not unduly worried at the moment because who knows when we will be allowed to sail.  Not keen on putting information in when it may not be needed.  Waste of time.

16 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

I thought that I was a relatively smart woman.  I've a tertiary education and had a successful career but this bloody medallion thingamybob has me flummoxed!  Grrr....

They (the medallions) should be chucked overboard. What was wrong with ye olde cruise card? Zilch !!!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

They (the medallions) should be chucked overboard. What was wrong with ye olde cruise card? Zilch !!!

Apparently you can go shopping with the medallion at selected overpriced port shops.

Also with each $ spent you can get upto 10% OBC.

But then you could go to the shop next door a get the same Chinese junk for a quarter the price.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

I think you may find that a considerable amount of information about passenger activities on board can be obtained with the medallions, and recorded for future planning etc. This could not be done with the card.

I haven't had a chance to cruise with the medallion yet but I'm all in favour of new technology. BUT they obviously haven't done enough testing with it from what I've read. I think the medallion itself is operating OK, it's the app that is causing the majority of the problems. They were stupid to switch over to the app completely, it would have been better to have run it in parallel with the website for a couple of years before closing down the website options. That way people would have an alternative if they had problems with the app. I realise some people would refuse to use the app until forced to do so but enough people would probably use it, especially once they were on their cruise, and most bugs would get sorted during the parallel period.

Having said that, I'm glad my software development days were back when there were less "flavours" of operating systems to deal with! 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I haven't had a chance to cruise with the medallion yet but I'm all in favour of new technology. BUT they obviously haven't done enough testing with it from what I've read. I think the medallion itself is operating OK, it's the app that is causing the majority of the problems. They were stupid to switch over to the app completely, it would have been better to have run it in parallel with the website for a couple of years before closing down the website options. That way people would have an alternative if they had problems with the app. I realise some people would refuse to use the app until forced to do so but enough people would probably use it, especially once they were on their cruise, and most bugs would get sorted during the parallel period.

Having said that, I'm glad my software development days were back when there were less "flavours" of operating systems to deal with! 

You are 100% correct that they rolled out the app before getting rid of all the glitches.  It took 2+ hours on the phone to get a medallion tech to get my name "valid" again.  The app did not recognize either my name or husband's and as a result we could do nothing in the app.  A tech took three minutes to "flip a switch"  to get it manually accepted.  His words, "When the app works it is very, very good and when it doesn't it sucks"!  Lol  He said they should have kept the ability to enter info on the personalizer page by computer, instead of only app on phone!. I also understand that this week they rolled out a new phone number strictly for tech problems to free up phones for other questions/problems.

Take care..Brandee.

• Like 2

The app may be very useful once onboard for booking things and knowing what is going on etc. Not wrapped in having to carry the phone around all day but maybe the benefits may outweigh that.

However it is useless for doing a check in prior to boarding.  It has a mind of its own.  Why must they change things that are working fine?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ondine said:

The app may be very useful once onboard for booking things and knowing what is going on etc. Not wrapped in having to carry the phone around all day but maybe the benefits may outweigh that.

Even before the Medallion I found the Princess @ Sea intranet site very useful, especially on the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise where I was tracking our drinks spending. It took me a couple of minutes each day, usually while having a coffee, to check our Princess account and transfer all the drinks purchase values into a spreadsheet on my phone. It was a very interesting exercise. One reason for doing it was that prices had increased a bit and there was a new wine list. The other reason was to get a realistic average pp per day for future budgeting and a long cruise like that would even out the occasional expensive bottles of wine. Of course then Princess released the Plus package which is far better value and includes internet! 

16 minutes ago, Ondine said:

However it is useless for doing a check in prior to boarding.  It has a mind of its own.  Why must they change things that are working fine?

I am not planning to carry my phone once on board.  You can request a printed Patter for activity times.  I enjoyed the Medallion the past three cruises as a door opener and coffee card and paperless bar receipt.  And I have no plans to track or be tracked by my husband..Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last time I was on a cruise (March 2020) I only had an old phone that wouldn't work with the Princess' app. 

So I bought a new phone to be ready for my next cruise ..... and well we know what happened then!!!!! 

I hope it will still be updated enough to log on whenever we do get to sail.

58 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Even before the Medallion I found the Princess @ Sea intranet site very useful, especially on the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise where I was tracking our drinks spending. It took me a couple of minutes each day, usually while having a coffee, to check our Princess account and transfer all the drinks purchase values into a spreadsheet on my phone. It was a very interesting exercise. One reason for doing it was that prices had increased a bit and there was a new wine list. The other reason was to get a realistic average pp per day for future budgeting and a long cruise like that would even out the occasional expensive bottles of wine. Of course then Princess released the Plus package which is far better value and includes internet! 

We used the Princess@Sea intranet too,  very handy to keep track of onboard spending.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yep the Plus package at $40/day is very good value, we took the option for the 35 day one we are both going on..........if it ever happens that is.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Yep the Plus package at $40/day is very good value, we took the option for the 35 day one we are both going on..........if it ever happens that is.

We've taken it for every cruise we currently have booked including the world cruise. My only concern, based on experience with the original drinks package, is how they will handle wine service during dinner in the MDR. We had problems on one cruise with that. I did notice on Sea Princess, on the 2019 Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we did, that they were using devices to record the drinks orders and bar waiters were delivering them to the waiters stations rather than the assistant waiter having to go and get them. Much more efficient. However I wish Princess had sommeliers like Celebrity does.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The biggest problem with the Ocean Medallion is that you need a ship.....

You don't seam to see any round Australia......

Also a cruise card is fine by me..... ( like Les )   

my mobile phone,  does voice and text calls.. and I believe can take a photo...

At the moment I am wondering if one will cruise one day in future......

Don

• Like 1