weather on April cruise to Bermuda

meglet

Hi All,

I've never cruised to Bermuda as early as April, although I've flown to the island and stayed there during that month.  I know weather can be quite changeable, but in trying to plan packing, what on average can be expected?  Still jeans and sweatshirt weather the first full day out of Boston?  How about coming back from Bermuda? And, as a bonus question, am I correct in thinking that the DOS up on deck 15 of the Pearl could feel the most motion?  Thinking about bidding on it as a surprise for my DH.  Thank you in advance!

I just looked back at my pictures from my 2014 cruise.  That was more of a late April cruise, we were wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts on one day.  Of course, being from New York we're itching to start wearing those clothes as it reaches 60 F.

That was the weather on the island, getting there was a whole other story!  Yes, I would plan on long pants and sweatshirt on embarkation day and maybe the first sea day.  I can't say that for absolute certainty as we sailed in a storm that had the outside decks closed on both sea days on the way to Bermuda.

My husband and I cruised to Bermuda in mid-May from NY a couple years ago, and the weather on the island was beautiful.  Not really swimming weather, but it was nice to walk along the beach and be outside walking about.  

While underway both to-from Bermuda, it was downright cold on deck...probably mid-30's or low 40's.  The air temp may have been warmer, but with the ship doing 20 knots the wind chill was not pleasant.  We'd walk the deck in the mornings bundled up and with the sun, it wasn't bad...but at night we stayed inside.

The chilly days to/from the island were worth it though.  Wouldn't hesitate to return in the spring for the gorgeous island temperatures and low humidity.

tallnthensome, maybe there are more refined search terms, but when I googled "weather April cruise to Bermuda" what comes up are commercial sites saying what a great month it is to cruise there and those sites don't include what weather is like on the ocean.

As far as the DOS, you would get motion up there but the good thing is it is located mid ship so less of the teeter totter affect.

It has great views of main pool deck.  Plus an easy trip down a couple floors to pool bar.

Note to get to room, you have to go up about 17 stairs.  It is a great room.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Suetravel said:

Are Bermuda still requiring PCR Covid test in April and travel authorization and NCL requiring an antigen test on your own 2 days before boarding on the ship?

A quick Google search will get you the Bermuda page with the current restrictions/requirements - 

https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

Sailed from NY round-trip to Bermuda both in mid/late April and into early May - on NCL and RCL - daytime temps' generally in the 60's and 70's, comfortable & nice, cool for some but definitely not warm or humid.  Ocean/water temperature is definitely way too cold for the average swimmer, except to wet your feet & legs - unless you bring a wet suit.  However, be prepare for the possibility of being "wet" as in those quick moving April showers with the arrival of Spring weather - it's usually over & done with quickly, and the sun will come back out again.  We've packed those poncho along based on BDA's local forecast ahead of our previous cruises ... and, never actually used it.  If and when it does, local stores will be selling the disposable poncho for residents & tourists alike ... not "expensive" given the high standard of living on the island.  

Check the official BDA government website, however, for store hours as businesses are mostly still in their "winter" & away mode, shortened hours & public transport (last ones on the ferries & buses back to Dockyard are "early") when making plans - especially they, like many other places, are still in their pandemic mode.  

As for the DOS, we've cabin toured the similar ones on the GEM several years ago and it is nice up there - as @dexddd "hi" wrote - no elevator access directly, you only access it via a relatively steep set of stairs to get up there, exclusive & private ... I read somewhere lately that the outdoor hot tub is gone, don't quote me on it, great views (there are photos in one of my previous semi-live review in the signature link)

6 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Sailed from NY round-trip to Bermuda both in mid/late April and into early May - on NCL and RCL - daytime temps' generally in the 60's and 70's, comfortable & nice, cool for some but definitely not warm or humid.  Ocean/water temperature is definitely way too cold for the average swimmer, except to wet your feet & legs - unless you bring a wet suit.  However, be prepare for the possibility of being "wet" as in those quick moving April showers with the arrival of Spring weather - it's usually over & done with quickly, and the sun will come back out again.  We've packed those poncho along based on BDA's local forecast ahead of our previous cruises ... and, never actually used it.  If and when it does, local stores will be selling the disposable poncho for residents & tourists alike ... not "expensive" given the high standard of living on the island.  

Check the official BDA government website, however, for store hours as businesses are mostly still in their "winter" & away mode, shortened hours & public transport (last ones on the ferries & buses back to Dockyard are "early") when making plans - especially they, like many other places, are still in their pandemic mode.  

As for the DOS, we've cabin toured the similar ones on the GEM several years ago and it is nice up there - as @dexddd "hi" wrote - no elevator access directly, you only access it via a relatively steep set of stairs to get up there, exclusive & private ... I read somewhere lately that the outdoor hot tub is gone, don't quote me on it, great views (there are photos in one of my previous semi-live review in the signature link)

Bummer about the hot tub if that's true. Would have been quite the added incentive. Thank you!

We're on this cruise May 20th.  Hoping things will be trending warmer by then once we're on our way, but the day 1 and 7 New England coastal weather may still be a crapshoot.  I will be packing a sweatshirt or two 😞 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

A quick Google search will get you the Bermuda page with the current restrictions/requirements - 

https://www.gov.bm/applying-bermuda-travel-authorisation

Actually significant changes to those requirements were just announced but Bermuda's travel authorization website hasn't yet been updated.

You can find the new requirements in reports carried by the two Bermuda news services, bernews.com and royalgazette.com .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Broons77 said:

We're on this cruise May 20th.  Hoping things will be trending warmer by then once we're on our way, but the day 1 and 7 New England coastal weather may still be a crapshoot.  I will be packing a sweatshirt or two 😞 

We like cruising this week out of Boston. It is early enough to miss school vacation, and by the time you get to Bermuda, it is warm enough for us New Englanders to swim. To the OP I suggest getting thermal suite passes to enjoy on the trip down and back. April in New England can be chilly so a sweatshirt to wear under a light rain jacket would be good for embarkation day.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

The last time we were there, I remember a local telling us no one who lives there goes to the beach earlier than June.

They traditionally consider Bermuda Day which is in the last week of May as the beginning of beach season. That said in general people from New England have reported they are fine with the beach in May. Those from farther south like me may  find it too cool. April no way. I am not really comfortable until mid June at Bermuda beaches.  Also when I was there in May there have been swarms of Portuguese Man o War. By June those were a lesser issue. 

Edited by Charles4515