Masks must be worn on outside decks.

seaver

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

If someone who is currently on the ship is describing the current rules, why would you expect anyone here to have more accurate or up-to-date information?

To see if it's fleet wide.

58 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

I don't necessarily believe everything I read on FaceBook either.  

I don't believe everything I read on FaceBook either, but sometimes you actually do find a nugget of truth regarding a change of itinerary or port of disembarkation that Silversea hasn't told anyone about and once you ask your TA the question about the change, he/she comes back with an answer then Silversea notifies those who are booked on that itinerary.  

I was on the Moon 1/3-1/19 to Panama Canal and a bit beyond to Equador  (you can go to my thread if you want details about where/when/how masks were dealt with both inside and out ).

The official rule was that masks were required *anytime one left one's cabin* unless actively eating or drinking.  The butler specifically told me, in response to my specific question about *outside*, when I embarked,  that that included even while walking outside and *even when distancing more than 6 feet was easily possible*.  It was repeated in this general term of *whenever one left the cabin* unless eating or drinking, few times by the captain and in written notices. Only once (towards the end of the cruise) did I hear a major staff person say one should wear masks outside one's cabin when *indoors* (without saying going maskless outdoors was ok) 

Masks were even officially required in the gym, which is inside, but when no one else was there.

Enforcement was another story:  most people (the few there were) wore them while walking outside, though sometimes with snoots overtly showing for long periods. Almost no one wore them at the pool deck area even when they were not eating or drinking and   I never saw crew chase after people who were not wearing masks, except at the buffet (even though distancing breaches frequently occurred, especially by crew standing around talking, that violation ironically was repeatedly ignored).

However, depending on what country you are going to, the ports and countries themselves (like Caribbean ports) commonly now have "mask outdoors" rules, (not just for cruisers but also for locals) even when you can distancing with many, many meters -- it is the law, subject to major fine if enforced.  They were required on all of our excursions, including when walking around outside, including when one could distance well over 6 feet (but then pax would get seated to eat shoulder to shoulder with strangers on excursions <6 feet away).  Again, enforcement was another story.

One of our Costa Rica ports had a requirement that we not go ashore without a surgical grade mask (no cloth masks) and keep it on at all times on our excursions (even when outside, even when hiking uphill, 25 feet from the next person, in 88 degree weather).  

Have fun.

Edited by Catlover54
Typo
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

I was on the Moon 1/3-1/19 to Panama Canal and a bit beyond to Equador  (you can go to my thread if you want details about where/when/how masks were dealt with both inside and out ).

The official rule was that masks were required *anytime one left one's cabin* unless actively eating or drinking.  The butler specifically told me, in response to my specific question about *outside*, when I embarked,  that that included even while walking outside and *even when distancing more than 6 feet was easily possible*.  It was repeated in this general term of *whenever one left the cabin* unless eating or drinking, few times by the captain and in written notices. Only once (towards the end of the cruise) did I hear a major staff person say one should wear masks outside one's cabin when *indoors* (without saying going maskless outdoors was ok) 

Masks were even officially required in the gym, which is inside, but when no one else was there.

Enforcement was another story:  most people (the few there were) wore them while walking outside, though sometimes with snoots overtly showing for long periods. Almost no one wore them at the pool deck area even when they were not eating or drinking and   I never saw crew chase after people who were not wearing masks, except at the buffet (even though distancing breaches frequently occurred, especially by crew standing around talking, that violation ironically was repeatedly ignored).

However, depending on what country you are going to, the ports and countries themselves (like Caribbean ports) commonly now have "mask outdoors" rules, (not just for cruisers but also for locals) even when you can distancing with many, many meters -- it is the law, subject to major fine if enforced.  They were required on all of our excursions, including when walking around outside, including when one could distance well over 6 feet (but then pax would get seated to eat shoulder to shoulder with strangers on excursions <6 feet away).  Again, enforcement was another story.

One of our Costa Rica ports had a requirement that we not go ashore without a surgical grade mask (no cloth masks) and keep it on at all times on our excursions (even when outside, even when hiking uphill, 25 feet from the next person, in 88 degree weather).  

Have fun.

That doesn't sound like fun, especially having to wear a mask while hiking uphill!!!  

10 minutes ago, texanaust said:

That doesn't sound like fun, especially having to wear a mask while hiking uphill!!!  

No, it was not.  I have enough trouble hiking uphill for a couple hours in hot humid climates without being handicapped by a mask further blocking my inhalation and exhalation.

I found out that even parts of Europe (e.g., Spain)  are now also requiring outdoor masking, regardless of distancing, for an indefinite period, so I canceled a cruise that was supposed to go there in early spring, where a good part of the journey was to include walking around outside -- I can't risk it. It's bad enough as it is just to be on buses for long drives, especially where the AC is poor, and even to be on long flights (especially on those lines where cloth masks are not allowed anymore, like on Lufthansa).

All these factors, and not just the quarantine risk, contribute to decisions on whether or not to stay home, or travel (especially if home is pretty nice).  If I lived in a very cold climate, I might be happy just to go somewhere warm and never leave the pool deck except to eat and sleep 🙂 

Edited by Catlover54
Typo

2 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

No, it was not.  I have enough trouble hiking uphill for a couple hours in hot humid climates without being handicapped by a mask further blocking my inhalation and exhalation.

I found out that even parts of Europe (e.g., Spain)  are now also requiring outdoor masking, regardless of distancing, for an indefinite period, so I canceled a cruise that was supposed to go there in early spring, where a good part of the journey was to include walking around outside -- I can't risk it. It's bad enough as it is just to be on buses for long drives, especially where the AC is poor, and even to be on long flights (especially on those lines where cloth masks are not allowed anymore, like on Lufthansa).

All these factors, and not just the quarantine risk, contribute to decisions on whether or not to stay home, or travel (especially if home is pretty nice).  If I lived in a very cold climate, I might be happy just to go somewhere warm and never leave the pool deck except to eat and sleep 🙂 

I suspect that the requirements for outside masking in Europe will be quietly dropped as summer approaches.  That is what Spain did last year.  There is too much pressure from the tourism sector and compliance will start to be a problem when other countries are completely/mostly free of restrictions (England, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Ireland).  

The quarantine risk on the other hand is what worries me...but we'll be risking it this summer regardless.  It has been over two years since our last cruise...enough.

20 minutes ago, texanaust said:

I suspect that the requirements for outside masking in Europe will be quietly dropped as summer approaches.  That is what Spain did last year.  There is too much pressure from the tourism sector and compliance will start to be a problem when other countries are completely/mostly free of restrictions (England, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Ireland).  

The quarantine risk on the other hand is what worries me...but we'll be risking it this summer regardless.  It has been over two years since our last cruise...enough.

The quarantine risk goes down dramatically as mandatory testing is eliminated sans-symptoms.  The horror stories we have been reading about 10+ day quarantines onboard followed by a repeat or worse after disembarkation are soon going to be ancient history (IMHO).

• Like 2

Message from friends on Silver Spirit.  Names hidden:

”Officer told [DH] outside on deck 9 that he had to wear mask, even tho no one else was in view.  Officer said this is a new policy from owners and also applies to people jogging on deck 10.  Good breezes on both areas.  But people sitting inches from one another around pool don’t need masks tho little breeze there.  We are really upset.  As you know!, walking on deck is part of why we cruise.  [DH] can’t breathe while walking with mask, and it is painful for me.  Is this really company policy or do we have power hungry captain?”

• Thanks 1

FYI -- from Regent boards

Regent just did away with mask requirement

I just received this notice from Regent regarding our sailing in March. There will be no more mask requirement on board and they will also not be providing testing at the pier for all cruises after March 1st. A negative PCR/Antigen test is required 48 hours prior to embarkation which now matches most other cruise lines. Slightly disappointed as this is our first cruise on Regent and I liked how they provided the testing. I do think it will speed up the embarkation process though. 

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 9.34.36 AM.png

Very interesting regarding Regent.

I just sent this to very unhappy friends on Spirit, copied today from Silversea website.  If there was corporate change of policy requiring masks while walking alone outdoors as officer apparently asserted, wouldn’t they update website?

Masks

Guests will be required to wear a mask in all indoor public areas of the ship, in terminals and during shore excursions. Crew will be wearing masks at all times. Nevertheless, guests will not be required to wear masks while seated in restaurants, at tables in bars, and in outdoor areas in which physical distancing can be maintained. Silversea is constantly monitoring the public health guidelines and will modify its policies accordingly.

• Like 1

I refuse to call you crazy.  

I applaud mask mandates while in elevators, while listening to lectures, in boutiques, while dealing with reception or excursion desks, while standing in line at buffet, etc. 

However, I cannot understand the apparent Silver Spirit (corporate?) requirement that masks be worn while walking or jogging on open deck with nice breeze and lots of social distancing (in fact perhaps with no one else in sight).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bitob said:

I am boarding the Moon later this month

I prefer the mask mandate for now.  I thin k it's too soon to eliminate.

Call me crazy but I prefer safety to inconvenience

Bitob, I am on the Moon for the 22nd also,can not find when the ship leaves Barbados.

2 minutes ago, Observer said:

Immigration at BGI can be a mess around then if a couple of wide body planes have just arrived from Europe.  

I always use Five Star Fast Track to get me through BGI immigration.  Not cheap.  But it can save a lot of time.  

Just doing research on Five Star. Thanks