Travel Insurance covering Covid

On 2/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Aus Traveller said:

I checked on the T&C of the 'free' Visa card travel insurance. It looks like they cover COVID-related claims. Here is an extract from the website:

Whilst there is no General Exclusion for pandemic or epidemic mentioned in the Premium Cards – Insurances, Insurance Policy Information booklet or the ANZ Business Black Travel Insurance, Policy Information booklet, ANZ Eligible Cardholders should be aware that other exclusions have the potential to apply.

One exclusion is travel to an area that the Aust government has on a 'Do Not Travel' list. It is worth checking out.

I noticed that Comm Bank  insurance doesn't cover COVID.

I had a look at the ANZ complimentary insurance (which we have used before). From 27/4/22 they are changing it. It appears you are covered for Covid, if you get it. However the maximum cover for cancellation will be $20k, instead of unlimited. As we usually travel for min of 6 weeks, it is no good for us, especially since we have the world cruise booked for 2023. They are going to include domestic cover, which is good

Like everything, you need to read the PDS and new ones carefully

Tanya

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

I looked at the ANZ one too but in the fine print it only covers you if you are 80yrs or under.

My husband thought the insurance only covers people aged under 80, 😁 but on reading the PDF carefully, I see that it says that you have to be aged 80 or under when you become eligible for the travel insurance. That means that if you book the cruise before your 81st birthday, the insurance applies.

22 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

My husband thought the insurance only covers people aged under 80, 😁 but on reading the PDF carefully, I see that it says that you have to be aged 80 or under when you become eligible for the travel insurance. That means that if you book the cruise before your 81st birthday, the insurance applies.

I am not sure how to read it.  Does it cover you if you are 81 years and one month?  Bit ambiguous.

3 minutes ago, Ondine said:

I am not sure how to read it.  Does it cover you if you are 81 years and one month?  Bit ambiguous.

No. The person is only covered to the day before their 81st birthday. The PDF states the upper age limit as 'aged 80'. This limit applies to when the person becomes eligible - i.e. books a cruise by paying at least $250 of the cost on the relevant credit card.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, valantine80 said:

Very unlikely to get cover if you have any pre exisitng conditions, no matter how minor, if it's not one covered in their list of pre exisiting conditions.

Tell me about, in the last 3 years Allianz the ANZ Visa card free Travel insurer knocked me back even when I offered to pay a premium. But I admit I do have some fairly serious pre existing conditions which I cannot hide, or should I say risk.  But saying that we did cruise and do land travel world wide inclusing South and Central America and USA for several years on the ANZ Platinum card free travel insurance when QBE was the insurer, they were more benevolent. Allianz are leeches.

Edited by NSWP

I read the Westpac credit insurer,  also Allianz, today.  It clearly states that it does not cover pandemic or epidemic.  

I sent an email to Allianz customer service to please clarify if we are covered for Covid related expenses, medical, hospitalisation, trip disruption etc.

The automated reply said I would receive a reply within 2 days.

When I get a reply, I will come back and post it here.

In 2008 my husband had a small early kidney cancer treated by removal of kidney, no chemo or radiotherapy required, regular checkups for next eight years with no further problems. Same deal with me and stage 1 melanoma around the same time. Cover also denied by ANZ and refused to even discuss the decision. Am inclined to think these decisions are made by people with no medical knowledge.

This is the reply I received from Allianz insurance re Travel Insurance for Covid.  If you have travel insurance with you credit card then you will not be covered for Covid.

Suggest you go to STCI, Southern Cross Travel Insurance,. Very good to deal with, no lengthy phone delays, answered all my questions and premium was really good compared to other quotes I received and these quotes did not cover Covid.

Dear Ruth,

Thank you for contacting us via email

1. We are unable to provide you with Covid related insurance, due to the general exclusion listed in your policy booklet.

General Exclusions  pages 41 > 45

To the extent permitted by law we do not cover you for any loss, damage or expense caused by, arising directly or indirectly from or in any way related to:

15. any epidemic or pandemic;

Please visit the Insurance Council of Australia ‘find an insurer’ site so that you can decide what product is best for your circumstances.

The Insurance Council of Australia ‘find an insurer’ site can be found here:  https://www.findaninsurer.com.au

I don't agree with your comment that "travel insurance with your credit card will not be covered for covid." It appears that some cards (Westpac?) don't cover COVID, but the ANZ Platinum one does.

Here is an extract from the PDS for ANZ travel insurance underwritten by Allianz.

Are ANZ Eligible Cardholders covered for COVID-19 with their complimentary credit card travel insurance?

To receive a formal outcome, ANZ Eligible Cardholders must submit a claim.

ANZ Eligible Cardholders who meet the eligibility criteria should be aware of the information for their Complimentary Credit Card Insurance.

Whilst there is no General Exclusion for pandemic or epidemic mentioned in the Premium Cards – Insurances, Insurance Policy Information booklet or the ANZ Business Black Travel Insurance, Policy Information booklet, ANZ Eligible Cardholders should be aware that other exclusions have the potential to apply.

Other exclusions may apply depending upon the circumstances of an individual claim. General Exclusions include but are not limited to:

The customer failing to follow advice or act upon a warning:

• from any government; or
  • from any official body; or
  • broadcast or published in mass media;

Any interference with your travel plans by any:

• government; or
  • government regulation; or
  • prohibition or intervention; or
  • official authority

For example, if Smartraveller has a warning, ‘Do not travel’ due to the risk of COVID-19 infection for a destination and a customer chooses to ignore the warning and is infected with COVID-19, cover may be excluded.

Or if, a government closes its borders to inbound travellers due to COVID-19 and you are unable to enter and follow your planned travel across the closed border, cover may be excluded.

Edited by Aus Traveller

You are very lucky to have some cover but it does have exclusions.

Allianz is the underwriter for Westpac and Citibank credit cards. I know, because I have both.

However, the last paragraph in your posting would still give me some concern.

In this ever changing world, what if another strain of the Covid virus breaks out and governments close the borders and you are unable to enter "Cover may be excluded".

I know for my peace of mind, we are doing 4 cruises this year, that I will pay a bit extra and be totally covered. We have always travelled with our credit card insurance but not this year.

"Or if, a government closes its borders to inbound travellers due to COVID-19 and you are unable to enter and follow your planned travel across the closed border, cover may be excluded."

Our regular travel insurer is Insure and Go which has this note on its website - Please, note we are currently not offering Cruise, Annual Multi-trip or Backpacker policies. Check the website regularly for further updates.

I guess we may be looking for an another insurer, and one that has good cover for Covid. If we can't buy insurance that we think is neccessary for us, we may not cruise or travel internationally for some time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Our regular travel insurer is Insure and Go which has this note on its website - Please, note we are currently not offering Cruise, Annual Multi-trip or Backpacker policies. Check the website regularly for further updates.

I guess we may be looking for an another insurer, and one that has good cover for Covid. If we can't buy insurance that we think is neccessary for us, we may not cruise or travel internationally for some time.

Hello Leigh,

We got full Covid cover with SCTI,  Southern Cross Travel Insurance, half the price of other quotes and the other quotes did not cover Covid.

Even NCL recommended travel insurer, Covermore, did not cover for Covid.

We were doing 4 cruises in the Carribbean in January and I took out cover with SCTI.  The first 2 cruises were cancelled and so we decided not to go.  I rang SCTI and asked if I could cancel the policy and get a refund.  They immediately, whilst I was on the phone, processed the Refund less $35.00 fee.

Very good.  I have taken out another policy with them for our May cruise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Hello Leigh,

We got full Covid cover with SCTI,  Southern Cross Travel Insurance, half the price of other quotes and the other quotes did not cover Covid.

Even NCL recommended travel insurer, Covermore, did not cover for Covid.

We were doing 4 cruises in the Carribbean in January and I took out cover with SCTI.  The first 2 cruises were cancelled and so we decided not to go.  I rang SCTI and asked if I could cancel the policy and get a refund.  They immediately, whilst I was on the phone, processed the Refund less $35.00 fee.

Very good.  I have taken out another policy with them for our May cruise.

Thank you for that. I'll have a look. 

18 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

Had a look at Southern Cross Travel Insurance for  cruise cover from Brisbane to Tasmania  but could not find any domestic cover. 

My policy was for overseas travel and cruises but I would give them call and check with them.

They won't keep you hanging on for hours and hours.

1 minute ago, GOTTODOIT said:

My policy was for overseas travel and cruises but I would give them call and check with them.

They won't keep you hanging on for hours and hours.

Thank you I will do that.🤙

23 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Try Fast Cover for domestic cruise insurance.  You can get a quote on line.  

I requested a quote online and unfortunately, as my wife has had cancer in the last five years, they will not offer us any insurance even though we are willing to forgo that being covered.

Edited by JohnGc

On 3/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, GOTTODOIT said:

You are very lucky to have some cover but it does have exclusions.

Allianz is the underwriter for Westpac and Citibank credit cards. I know, because I have both.

However, the last paragraph in your posting would still give me some concern.

In this ever changing world, what if another strain of the Covid virus breaks out and governments close the borders and you are unable to enter "Cover may be excluded".

I know for my peace of mind, we are doing 4 cruises this year, that I will pay a bit extra and be totally covered. We have always travelled with our credit card insurance but not this year.

"Or if, a government closes its borders to inbound travellers due to COVID-19 and you are unable to enter and follow your planned travel across the closed border, cover may be excluded."

Got to agree with that

Cheers Carole

" Should the need arise, Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19-related costs, for onboard medical costs, cost of any required quarantine, and travel home. If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a 100% refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party; we will provide your medical treatment onboard; we will arrange safe quarantine for you; and make arrangements for your safe return home. We encourage you to take out comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions. "

After reading this do I need to worry about getting insurance that does not have cover for covid on a Domestic cruise to Brisbane / Tasmania ?

Edited by JohnGc