Travel Insurance covering Covid

4 minutes ago, B'Elanna said:

I just tried Fast Cover for a domestic cruise and it says that they don't provide insurance for ships with over 200 passengers.

I had no luck at all with Fast cover.  Covermore would cover pre existing  cancer patients but not Covid . I seriously considered them as that would be better than no insurance at all. After reading so many bad reviews on Product review I am now still looking.

13 hours ago, JohnGc said:

" Should the need arise, Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19-related costs, for onboard medical costs, cost of any required quarantine, and travel home. If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a 100% refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party; we will provide your medical treatment onboard; we will arrange safe quarantine for you; and make arrangements for your safe return home. We encourage you to take out comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions. "

After reading this do I need to worry about getting insurance that does not have cover for covid on a Domestic cruise to Brisbane / Tasmania ?

that is great coverage by Royal Caribbean.

15 hours ago, JohnGc said:

" Should the need arise, Royal Caribbean will cover COVID-19-related costs, for onboard medical costs, cost of any required quarantine, and travel home. If you test positive for COVID-19 when you are onboard, we will provide a 100% refund of the price of your cruise for you and your travelling party; we will provide your medical treatment onboard; we will arrange safe quarantine for you; and make arrangements for your safe return home. We encourage you to take out comprehensive travel insurance for any supplementary costs, in accordance with our standard booking conditions. "

After reading this do I need to worry about getting insurance that does not have cover for covid on a Domestic cruise to Brisbane / Tasmania ?

Sorry your wife couldn't get travel insurance from Fast Cover.  I would ask what their policy is if you catch Covid prior to the cruise.  Are you entitled to a refund or a cruise credit?  When is your cruise?  I would think your chances of catching covid on a cruise are not as high as on land, if the cruise operates at Sailsafe policy, with PCR Testing and RAT Testing beforehand.  

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Sorry your wife couldn't get travel insurance from Fast Cover.  I would ask what their policy is if you catch Covid prior to the cruise.  Are you entitled to a refund or a cruise credit?  When is your cruise?  I would think your chances of catching covid on a cruise are not as high as on land, if the cruise operates at Sailsafe policy, with PCR Testing and RAT Testing beforehand.  

Hi MM, According to Caribbean Australia you can cancel 48 hrs before your cruise with a full refund or a cruise credit I  am not sure but I think you might have to offer proof of having covid. After talking to RCC they did make a point that all of the rules are subject to change in the future.As my cruise is not until Jan 2023 I have no doubt there will be many changes.

1 hour ago, JohnGc said:

Hi MM, According to Caribbean Australia you can cancel 48 hrs before your cruise with a full refund or a cruise credit I  am not sure but I think you might have to offer proof of having covid. After talking to RCC they did make a point that all of the rules are subject to change in the future.As my cruise is not until Jan 2023 I have no doubt there will be many changes.

I think you’ll find that it is a future cruise credit not a refund should you need to cancel.

Cheers Carole

I'm glad I stumbled across this discussion. We are dealing with the same dilemma. In relation to Southern Cross Travel mentioned earlier, the cut-paste below is from their website today.

I'm not sure how everyone else deals with risk, but there is no way I would travel under those restrictions by the insurance company (specifically the ones related to decisions by various governments)

I'll keep looking, but I'm somewhat pessimistic about finding something suitable.

Please continue to offer suggestions.

• SCTI won't cover COVID-19 losses or expenses in the following situations:

• If you or a relevant person are not fully vaccinated
    • If a claim is connected to a government restriction due to COVID-19
    • Where boarding of transport is denied because of a failure to get the documents necessary for the journey, such as a COVID-19 vaccination history or a negative COVID-19 test
    • Getting COVID-19 while travelling to a destination or a region which has a level 3 or 4 travel advisory in place for COVID-19 on the Smartraveller  website.

There are other exclusions, so we encourage you to read your policy wording and Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement carefully.

• There is no cover under our TravelCare or Domestic policy for government restrictions, lockdowns, or any pause to quarantine-free travel.

26 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

I'm glad I stumbled across this discussion. We are dealing with the same dilemma. In relation to Southern Cross Travel mentioned earlier, the cut-paste below is from their website today.

I'm not sure how everyone else deals with risk, but there is no way I would travel under those restrictions by the insurance company (specifically the ones related to decisions by various governments)

I'll keep looking, but I'm somewhat pessimistic about finding something suitable.

Please continue to offer suggestions.

• Where boarding of transport is denied because of a failure to get the documents necessary for the journey, such as a COVID-19 vaccination history or a negative COVID-19 test
    • Getting COVID-19 while travelling to a destination or a region which has a level 3 or 4 travel advisory in place for COVID-19 on the Smartraveller  website.

There are other exclusions, so we encourage you to read your policy wording and Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement carefully.

• There is no cover under our TravelCare or Domestic policy for government restrictions, lockdowns, or any pause to quarantine-free travel.

No company will give a policy to someone who is Not Fully Vaccinated.

If you fail to follow the instructions for boarding a plane, i.e. covid 19 test, then of course you would not be covered. It is the travellers responsibility to check what is required.

If you travel to an area that is 3 or 4 level,  You should not be travelling there,  You have to take note of the Government Smarttraveller  Advice.  That is the same also for all policies whether you get a policy for COVID or a normal policy.

6 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

No company will give a policy to someone who is Not Fully Vaccinated.

If you fail to follow the instructions for boarding a plane, i.e. covid 19 test, then of course you would not be covered. It is the travellers responsibility to check what is required.

If you travel to an area that is 3 or 4 level,  You should not be travelling there,  You have to take note of the Government Smarttraveller  Advice.  That is the same also for all policies whether you get a policy for COVID or a normal policy.

I said ... "(specifically the ones related to decisions by various governments)"

Such as border closures. I am fully aware that you have to be vaccinated, follow govt advice etc.

Please don't bother responding again.

34 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

I am quite happy to travel with the insurance limitations you mention. I am prepared to risk a lockdown - I don't think there will be any. Before the days of COVID, travel insurance still had a lot of restrictions. From memory, a pandemic was an automatic exclusion.

19 minutes ago, Cleopatra99 said:

I said ... "(specifically the ones related to decisions by various governments)"

Such as border closures. I am fully aware that you have to be vaccinated, follow govt advice etc.

Please don't bother responding again.

A bit rude🥶🤐

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I am quite happy to travel with the insurance limitations you mention. I am prepared to risk a lockdown - I don't think there will be any. Before the days of COVID, travel insurance still had a lot of restrictions. From memory, a pandemic was an automatic exclusion.

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Happy to agree.  I have 4 cruises booked for this year and we are really looking forward to them.

34 minutes ago, GOTTODOIT said:

Happy to agree.  I have 4 cruises booked for this year and we are really looking forward to them.

I am the same..,5 cruises booked and will have my credit card insurance and since our first one around the UK so feels confident.   We will see how that goes😅

Eileen

Something to consider when considering SCTI ...

https://www.scti.com.au/about/understanding-travel-warnings

When the travel advisory is at a ‘Reconsider your need to travel’ (level 3) or ‘Do not travel’ (level 4) level, we call this a ‘travel warning’. It is important that you understand how these travel warnings affect your cover, before you purchase your insurance. 

Type of travel advisory Effect on your policy
 A travel advisory that affects just part of a country  You won’t be covered for events in that part of the country that relate to that travel advisory.
 A travel advisory that affects the whole country  You won’t be covered for events anywhere in that country that relate to that travel advisory. 

10 minutes ago, Nang said:

When the travel advisory is at a ‘Reconsider your need to travel’ (level 3) or ‘Do not travel’ (level 4) level, we call this a ‘travel warning’. It is important that you understand how these travel warnings affect your cover, before you purchase your insurance. 

A travel advisory that affects just part of a country  You won’t be covered for events in that part of the country that relate to that travel advisory.
 A travel advisory that affects the whole country  You won’t be covered for events anywhere in that country that relate to that travel advisory. 

It also applies with other travel insurance companies.

28 minutes ago, Nang said:

It is not only SCTI but all insurance companies. You would not be covered by any company if you travel under a level 3 or level 4.  You should not be travelling to any area level 3 or level 4. You need to take notice of the government Smartraveller alerts and warnings.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase just cancellation insurance alone for an overseas trip? I’m satisfied with my ‘free’ ANZ card travel insurance for health insurance (well, as satisfied as any of the paid for ones I can find). But they are now reducing the cancellation insurance to $20,000, as was mentioned earlier in this thread. Is it possible to just purchase separate cancellation without health insurance? I can’t seem to turn up anything in my searches.

I just took out travel insurance for a cruise to PNG, which currently has a "Reconsider your need to travel" advisory on Smarttraveller.    I found three Australian companies which would offer this cover, including Covid cover,  so they are around, but you have to search and read the T & Cs, and don't expect it to be cheap.

26 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

I just took out travel insurance for a cruise to PNG, which currently has a "Reconsider your need to travel" advisory on Smarttraveller.    I found three Australian companies which would offer this cover, including Covid cover,  so they are around, but you have to search and read the T & Cs, and don't expect it to be cheap.

Welcome to cruise critic,,,,,,

Would you like to share the travel companies with the forum, it’s what we do here.

You will get a lot of good info before your cruise, if the  travel insurance company you have booked with offer a add on for a cruise it would be helpful for your itinerary as quite often they can’t land on some of the islands and they will compensate you for this.

Cheers Carole