No Lobster on our next cruse

Vlgg731

I wouldn't make any assumptions about menu accuracy that far out.  The app is notorious for needing an update, usually a week or two ahead of the cruise.  We've seen cruises with a lot of 'placeholder' information embedded long before sail date.  Some months before our Caribbean cruise, the app was even kind enough to explain to us the procedures for clearing customs in Singapore, along with hints on what to take ashore with us for our day in Abu Dhabi.  They missed that last item right up until embarkation.  I pointed it out to the rep responsible for that content while aboard, and it disappeared the same day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Vlgg731 said:

We are scheduled for an Alaska cruise in July on Millenium and I was just looking at the menus and noticed they are not including Lobster on our cruise.  That's disappointing!

On our cruise to Alaska on the Solstice,  we had Maine lobster. However, the price of real lobster in the North Atlantic has nearly doubled.  What was really a nice surprise was at one of the ports, they brought aboard fresh king crab legs, salmon, cod, and halibut.  Can't beat that!

Your cruise is too far off in the future at this point.   At least on my app none of the Millennium Alaska cruises have been loaded into the App.   Once they are loaded menus are often placeholders and are the same every day.   Menus that can be counted on are usually loaded 2-4 weeks prior to the cruise.

This far out the app, as said above, is never accurate. We have a 10-day cruise on the Reflection in August and as of today the app only shows dinner is the Luminae for 7 nights, night 8 to 10 it says the Luminae is closed. It says the same for the MDR and specialty restaurants, so if I take the app at face value, we do not get any food the last 3 days of the cruise. Our Equinox cruise last August was 9 nights, and the app didn't show the last 2 nights and days until the week we boarded. I did find once onboard the app menus were pretty accurate.

Unless things have changed, the lobster that Celebrity serves are warm water lobster tails. On the Equinox last August, I was discouraged by our waiter, from ordering the lobster in Murano, he said he had been getting nothing but complaints all week about the lobster. I do not remember if they served any lobster in Luminae, I know I didn't order them. The tails served in the MDR are probably no better. If you really want better lobster, try a land restaurant that serves live cold-water lobster. In 20 years of cruising I can honestly say, I have never had any lobster that was worth remembering much less worrying if we get served them or not. We will be on a HAL Greek cruise in August after our Italy & Croatia Reflection cruise, and HAL now charges a $10 upcharge for lobster tails in the MDR and I think $30 for a whole lobster.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Luigi G said:

Ran through the menus for our Eclipse sailing in March and lobster is gone. Was there a few weeks ago.

Must be supply line issue.   I couldn't resist.  

Every time I can't find something that is what the shop keepers tell me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

... as of today the app only shows dinner is the Luminae for 7 nights, night 8 to 10 it says the Luminae is closed. It says the same for the MDR and specialty restaurants, so if I take the app at face value, we do not get any food the last 3 days of the cruise.

No, that's the Celebrity diet plan.  Eat for 7, starve for 3 to make up for what you did on the first 7!  You should break even - same weight embarking as disembarking - with this strategy!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

No, that's the Celebrity diet plan.  Eat for 7, starve for 3 to make up for what you did on the first 7!  You should break even - same weight embarking as disembarking - with this strategy!

We have 24 days cruising and 8 land days in Italy in August, so maybe we eat for 19 days and starve to lose the weight gain for 5 days?

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, keesar said:

On our cruise to Alaska on the Solstice,  we had Maine lobster. However, the price of real lobster in the North Atlantic has nearly doubled.  What was really a nice surprise was at one of the ports, they brought aboard fresh king crab legs, salmon, cod, and halibut.  Can't beat that!

We were in Hobart, Tasmania, on Solstice and they brought fresh fish on board, but only for those who dined at the evening buffet.  

24 minutes ago, Luigi G said:

Ran through the menus for our Eclipse sailing in March and lobster is gone. Was there a few weeks ago.

We have a cruise booked on Eclipse in Sept and I can’t seem to access the app…get the message that the Eclipse isn’t one of the ships that the app supports. How are you accessing it? 

2 hours ago, Vlgg731 said:

We are scheduled for an Alaska cruise in July on Millenium and I was just looking at the menus and noticed they are not including Lobster on our cruise.  That's disappointing!

Your not cruising until July, why are you fretting about it in February?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

Agree. The app isn’t terribly reliable, even on a good day. 

Agree, we had an excursion time changed from 08.30 to 10.30. When the tickets came, they were issued for 13.30( without a letter of explanation of the time change).

I mentioned this in the mid sail survey, as the app still showed the original time.

We were sent some complimentary strawberries, for our inconvenience.

11 minutes ago, megfla said:

Lobster was not on the app in advance of our Equinox Thanksgiving sailing....however we enjoyed many of them on formal night....

Same for my 1/21 Equinox sailing. Wasn't listed ahead of time, but we did have it on the final formal night.

12 hours ago, Luigi G said:

I'm concerned that you are still planning a March Eclipse sailing - please come back here and let all of us know that you aren't still planning on taking this cruise that was cancelled a while ago.

12 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We have a cruise booked on Eclipse in Sept and I can’t seem to access the app…get the message that the Eclipse isn’t one of the ships that the app supports. How are you accessing it? 

Eclipse and Solstice are currently sitting of the coast of San Diego and are out of service.   The app only shows ships that are currently sailing. 

1 minute ago, Jim_Iain said:

Eclipse and Solstice are currently sitting of the coast of San Diego and are out of service.   The app only shows ships that are currently sailing. 

Understood, that’s why I couldn’t understand how a poster was seeing a menu on the app for eclipse…they must be on a different ship. 

Is it only after revolutionizing that ships are capable of supporting the app? 🤔

Just now, terrydtx said:

I am always amazed how people pay thousands for a cruise and then fret about getting "lobster night" all over a 3 oz  frozen tasteless lobster tail. Must be a first world issue.

Not even a cold water lobster tail in most instances.  A spiny or Caribbean "lobster" without claws which is in the crawfish family.