The Daily for Monday 02/14/2022

richwmn

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Obviously I am out of sync tonight, hasn’t been a good day and will keep my mouth shut from here on in.  

@kazu..... I'm sure this is one tough "holiday" for you. Please try not to take anything too much to heart from any comments here. Sending love. 🥰

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

When I was a child growing up in New York City, one could take the subway to Coney Island.  There was a Ferris Wheel there.  A big one.  I always wanted to go on it but my mom wouldn’t let me and she wouldn’t go with me.  Later I learned she was scared stiff of the thing.  There was no Dad in the picture so that was no option.  One time we were in Coney Island with my Aunt and she said she would take me.  So off we went.  Well….. we got to the top and I started to cry.  I was so frightened that I wanted to get off.  Well, of course we couldn’t get off at the top.  I cried all the way down.  There were supposed to be two revolutions, however when we got to the bottom and the operator took one look at me, we were off in a flash.  That was the end of my Ferris Wheel days.  Until as an adult I lost my fright and went on the London Eye.

Teri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

And @msmayor(sorry I don't remember your first name) how exciting that the grandbaby is only weeks away!  I remember when you posted you had to cancel a cruise so you could be here for the birth.  Your story reminds me of our first grandchild in January 1998.  I was at home in St. Louis, DD was living near Dayton at the time and DH was in Houston on A-B business.  DD called a week before due date to say her water broke and she was in the hospital.  I called DH at the Houston airport as he was boarding a plane to St. Louis and told him.  Instead of me waiting hours for him to land, I packed and got in the car for the 6 hour drive and when he got to St. Louis he booked the next flight to Dayton.  When I got to Dayton I swung by the airport to pick him up.  On the way south on I-75 there was a wreck stopping traffic, so we got off the highway and got directions to the hospital via side roads.  No nav system in our car then.  Not even an IPhone to help out.  We got to the hospital and continued to wait half the night for Tyler to be born.  Meanwhile I worked on his cross stitch Christmas stocking while we waited.  Very exciting to hold our first grandchild minutes after his birth.  He's a grown man now - time sure flies by!!👶

Thank you for sharing this story, @StLouisCruisers...I'm hyperfocused now on making sure my phone is always charged and near me so I don't miss The Call.  I have a suitcase half-packed with essentials to save time.  Still going to the office, but my desk is fairly clear and I mindfully pack some important paperwork every night into my workbag just in case.  The whole staff knows - maybe I'll be in, maybe I won't.  (oh...and I struggle to remember names too - mine is Connie!!  🙂 )

With Covid, there's a very good chance we won't be permitted to visit at the hospital so we'll patiently wait at the house and get things ready for the homecoming.  I will say, I was there about a week ago for her Zoom shower and she showed me the initial supply of newborn diapers she bought.  I just don't remember them being so small!!!

4 hours ago, JazzyV said:

@msmayor You must be so excited about the new arrival coming soon.

@JazzyV, it's getting harder to contain.  I've been so good trying to be patient (especially when shopping) but it's getting harder.  My sister gave my husband and I a neat gift that really helped make things get real, very fast...custom T-shirts:

image.png.d6460ba80ad72a2bf94f3196a39a63d9.png

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

While DH was gone, I had plenty of time to decorate the Valentine's cake.

20220214_123403.thumb.jpg.60846b72428d66d132ca6d4360c96cee.jpg

@Quartzsite Cruiser Lenda, what a beautiful cake!!  

@mamaofami Carol, I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with credit card fraud.  Such a personal violation, made worse if you are right about who is responsible.  Despite the protections that credit cards have to make you whole, it just isn't something you should have to deal with now.

@kazu Jacqui, sending a special hug to you today.

@grapau27 Graham, I've so enjoyed the photos you're sharing of your trip with the lovely Pauline.  Someday I hope to travel to the places you both have enjoyed as they look marvelous!!

@rafinmd Roy, sending caring thoughts on this somber anniversary.  

@Heartgrove a little delayed, but sending my congratulations on hearing that you have a granddaughter on the way!!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Valentines Day Daily, Rich.  It won't be a day of celebration in my family; my brother died on Valentines day last year.  Between covid and my mitral valve issue I did not get to the funeral but hope to visit his grave Saturday when Enchantment of the Seas visits Port Canaveral. 

Roy, special prayers for you today and on Saturday for this sad anniversary,  It is so hard to lose a loved one. We went through that this year.  

Prayers for you and your family on this day of love.,

God Bless,
Terri

• Like 11

1 hour ago, superoma said:

You are just being helpful, Jacqui. Please don’t be quiet. But i do. wish you a restful night and a better day tomorrow 

That is right, Jacqui @kazu.  I'm sorry for your tough day today and I hope tomorrow is better.   

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

@bennybear  the book was A Land More Kind than Home.  First book by Wiley Cash, Southern Writer. I guess you could almost call it Southern Gothic, but it was non stop start to finish, told the story of several days (and tales from the past) and it was very sad.  Tragic. But when i started it, i read the first five pages, and said woow, and then put it down, picked it up one afternoon last week, read about 100 pages in two hours, and then knocked out  the last 200 pages yesterday between breakfast and lunch.  and though the story was over, I wanted more.  Hard to have a discussion when two out of 5 hadn't read the book.  Well they started it, they just didn't finish it.☹️  If you have ever read any of Ron Rash, very much like his writing.

• Like 10

@msmayor our first grand child, I had driven our DD to her Ob gyn appointment when he said she needed to go to hospital.  Well it was winter with country roads and deep ditches so I drove as fast as prudent.  Meanwhile DH came from twice as far and beat us to the hospital!  I am sure I woke when she was born, the most magical Christmas ever! 

I truly hope we can keep the Daily drama free,  but I do think if we get too lengthy or we have some appearing to dominate it may dissuade newcomers.    We all make mistakes and learn, and this has been a wonderful safe place to share and learn. I do hope that can continue.  I think all is intended in a way to keep this our happy safe place.   I know we all have different levels of tolerance and am sorry if my need for PG offended anyone.  I like to keep this as a nice safe place to escape the madness.  Canadians have been under extreme stress the last few weeks and today the Emergency act was invoked so we are all a little worn down. 

May kindness and  friendship guide us! 

• Like 17

Good evening and a late Happy Valentine's day to you all.  

We returned yesterday from the Caribbean on the Nieuw Statendam.  The rain at the port yesterday when we arrived was getting us ready to be back home where it rained here today.

Had a great trip.  Enjoyed the ship.  Very bright and spacious.  Dutch cafe was a wonderful stop every day.  We are thankful to have been able to get away for a short time and just enjoy the sun, warm weather, and meet up with old friends.

Thank you Rick and Roy for the lists.  Great quote.  Had chicken for dinner.  Need to cut back on the pasta for a while.  Good to catch up on the news here.  I unplugged while on the cruise other than keeping up with family news.  

Roy, sorry for this day being a sad anniversary for you.  Hope your memories of your brother sustain you.  

Cheers to those celebrating and prayers for all.

Stay well and safe everyone.  

• Like 14

2 hours ago, kazu said:

No question this is directed at me so why not call a spade a spade?

I did not think I was telling anyone off when I posted suggestions. Nor did I tell anyone not to post.  I was trying to help and keep the thread from being  too unwieldy.  

Imagine if we all did that?  There are lots of ways to not do single posts and I was trying to help.

Obviously I am out of sync tonight, hasn’t been a good day and will keep my mouth shut from here on in.  

Jacqui, I have always appreciated all your posts .  Your humor and consideration for those of us on  this thread is a blessing.  Hope your lobster was great this evening and you will be able to get some to Jose tomorrow.  Keep on posting...❤️

Mary

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Good evening.  I finally had a chance to read and reread the Daily.  

Our dinner tonight turned out to be very good.  However, we still need to learn how to get the meat out of the lobster tails.  It's not a skill we learn in Texas.

I was dismayed that the discussion of how people want to see the posts on the Daily got testy.  I don't think anyone was trying to dictate how to post or criticize others who wanted to help.  We all have valid reasons and preferences for how we do things.  We just need to realize we're all different with different skill levels, and that different devices lend themselves to different posting methods.  Then, there is the added challenge when the CC gremlins decide to run amok.

Depending on the circumstances, I use the blue bubble, multiqoute or single quote.  DH says that he reads the posts and when he sees the blue bubbles, he knows what it's about, and that he skips the multiqoute posts.

@superoma  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your twins.  I like the picture.

@Suslor  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your DH.

@Cruising-along  Hope your niece gets a new kidney soon.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Glad you made it to La Quinta safely.

@*Miss G*  I'm also trying to get rid of food before we cruise next month, and even more so we don't have to haul it to Texas this spring.

@grapau27  Thank you for the kind comments about the cake. I admire that you do all your posts on your android phone.  That's my last choice to use for posts.

@Navybikermom  We're like you in that Sam's and Costco are a distance from Quartzsite and our place in Texas.  One of the "joys" of country living.

@durangoscots  Susan, good news that the dermatologist coukd freeze the places off.

@marshhawk  I'm sorry the tumor causes exhaustion,  Hope you can get it removed soon.

@msmayor  Thank you for your comments about the cake.

@highland cruiser  Welcome home. Glad you had a good time.

Lenda

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, dfish said:

I agree.  Multi-quoting works for me as I hit the + sign as I'm reading through and I know what I want to answer.   It doesn't work as well for others, but the bottom line is I just want people to feel welcome to post.  

@grapau27 I didn't think your picture of your surgical scar was too much, but I watch those medical shows all the time.  I find it interesting how they do things.  

Thank you Debbie.

10 years ago I watched the screen during my colonoscopy procedure.

2 years ago I watched the screen while the consultant performed an angioplasty and fitted a coronary stent after my heart attack.

I find it interesting but Pauline does not.

Graham.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I did not think I was telling anyone off when I posted suggestions. Nor did I tell anyone not to post.  I was trying to help and keep the thread from being  too unwieldy.  

Imagine if we all did that?  There are lots of ways to not do single posts and I was trying to help.

I have contributed on a RC and P&O daily which have both been running for almost 2 years and only post sporadically every day.

HAL daily is unique  in its daily formation and for me I am guilty of reading and posting replys immediately because of its interest appeal.

Posting exclusively on my Android mobile phone which I have with me all the time it is quick and easy to post on the go sometimes with Pauline's disapproval.☹️.

Graham.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, kazu said:

It is nice everyone can freely speak.

A close friend is undergoing cancer treatment and his 5 year old grandson was rushed into hospital last night in a serious condition.

Fortunately this morning the major hospital has stabilised his grandsons condition.

I hope José is improving and you have a nice day today @kazu.

Graham.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

I do multi post on occasions but I also try and answer people's questions to me individually out of respect plus all my posts are done on my Android phone which has its limitations on answering and spacing photos.

My apologies for posting my surgery photo and rest assured I will be very careful in what I post in future.

Sincerely.

Graham.

Hi Graham,

Multi-quoting is more work/difficult to read IMHO, so it doesn't work well for everyone.

I get where you are coming from, thank you for being respectful.

Good thing this is an all-inclusive thread and accepts everyone. 😊

Love your pictures from Spain, quite lovely.

Have a great day!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

A sad anniversary for Roy, and a few birthdays today!  My cousin's birthday and my favourite aunt's death are the same day, and it is difficult to have them together.  Roy, another thing, I think you can take my cousin Jim off the Cares list rotation - he is much better.  He actually had to go back into the hospital and have more burr holes drilled, as they didn't do it right the first time, and he was dizzy and headachy after he went home the first time.  But now all is well.   I suppose he could have ended up like Bob Saget if his son hadn't insisted on him going to the hospital when he first fell and hit his head.

I don't think Jim has been on the list for a while now but that's definitely good news.  Yesterday was definitely a VERY sad day for his widow.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Connie @msmayorgood luck to you as the days go by and you get closer to grandparenthood.  (Did I just make up a word??)  When the time comes that you meet your new grandchild we want to see a photo of you and DH holding that baby wearing your darling grampy and grammy T-shirts!👶

• Like 4

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

@grapau27Nice to hear you and Pauline have more cruises booked.  I'm looking forward to reading all about them and seeing more pictures.  It looks like you two had a lovely Valentine's Day dinner. ❤️

Thank you Melanie @puppycanducruise and Sandi @StLouisCruisers

Pauline doesn't like me broadcasting when we are away so if I go missing in March,April,May, September and November don't worry and I will post when I can.

I am only mentioning it on here and no other thread.

Graham 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Melanie @puppycanducruise and Sandi @StLouisCruisers

Pauline doesn't like me broadcasting when we are away so if I go missing in March,April,May, September and November don't worry and I will post when I can.

I am only mentioning it on here and no other thread.

Graham 

I will make a note on my calendar to not fret when you disappear during those months.  😓  Mum's the word*.

*Mum's the word is a popular English idiom. It is related to an expression used by William Shakespeare, in Henry VI, Part 2. The word "mum" is an alteration of momme, which was used between 1350 and 1400 in Middle English with very close to the same meaning, "be silent; do not reveal"

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I will make a note on my calendar to not fret when you disappear during those months.  😓  Mum's the word*.

*Mum's the word is a popular English idiom. It is related to an expression used by William Shakespeare, in Henry VI, Part 2. The word "mum" is an alteration of momme, which was used between 1350 and 1400 in Middle English with very close to the same meaning, "be silent; do not reveal"

Thank you Sandi.

We were originally sailing on Independence of the seas from Port Canaveral in March and having 7-10 days in Orlando for Pauline's 60th birthday but we cancelled because of covid and quarantine concerns.

We are cruising instead on P&O Iona from Southampton England.

I will post when I can some of our meals from the speciality restaurants on board.

I hope your rearranged Princess cruise is sorted.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Barcelona is a fantastic city with 100s of hotels 

It is only 20 minutes from the airport and the start of the main Street Las Ramblas is only 700 metres from the cruise terminals.

There are many tourist attractions and nice beaches close by.

Graham.

yes so I have heard.

I have selected a cruise that stops in Barcelona so I can do a tour rather than starting in the city to cruise out of and trying to learn it on my own.

toodles  

• Like 1