Pre-cruise testing extended until March 31, 2022

misterkevin

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Well if they cancel testing  requirements after March 31 I have a bunch of test kits.   I'll bet ya double or nothing the testing requirement is extended.    If I loose I have the tests to spare.

Thinking the same!  I think Q4 is the earliest we’ll see testing requirements dropped, maybe Q1 ‘23.

I realize there is ‘stress’ taking the test and hoping you aren’t positive and can’t cruise, but what about not taking the test, having COVID without knowing it right before the cruise and bringing it on for others to be infected? 

COVID is decreasing, but a ship is still a strong place to spread it. I’d hope we’d be a bit more concerned about others than having to take a test.

den

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I realize there is ‘stress’ taking the test and hoping you aren’t positive and can’t cruise, but what about not taking the test, having COVID without knowing it right before the cruise and bringing it on for others to be infected? 

COVID is decreasing, but a ship is still a strong place to spread it. I’d hope we’d be a bit more concerned about others than having to take a test.

den

If that is the case, testing will never go away!

43 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

If that is the case, testing will never go away!

I’ll disagree. I don’t see Celebrity or any Lines wanting to continue this unless it is required to keep their passengers And crew safe.

But our CC guidelines are not to get into discussions about statistics or medical aspects so I’ll just say we are still in a Pandemic which should suffice and leave it at that. 

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This is otherwise known as everyday life.

“Everyday Life’ isn’t joining a thousand others in an enclosed building for days, dining in large rooms most every day and night, attending theater every night, joining large groups at fun bars and lounges for socialization, getting onto buses to tour….. 

it might be more ‘everyday’ if you went directly to your SR, never left except once to twice a day for just a  bit, dining in your room and didn’t go ashore. 

i taught classes this last semester and teachers tested prior and after. 

den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be testing positive for Covid for years and years like the flu and unless the hospitalization rates are high for the fully vaccinated, which it is not, the tests are now a nuisance like the UK and Denmark have already concluded, not a necessary medical need. A case today is not the same as a case two years ago when all these restrictions started.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

“Everyday Life’ isn’t joining a thousand others in an enclosed building for days, dining in large rooms most every day and night, attending theater every night, joining large groups at fun bars and lounges for socialization, getting onto buses to tour….. 

People live and work in apartment complexes and enclosed office buildings, commute to to their jobs on trains and buses, go out with friends/co-workers at the end of the work day, and frequently eat out in restaurants. Everything you describe, minus some of the fun, is absolutely everyday life.

The only difference is that on cruise ships, everyone else is vaccinated, so there should be even less of a concern of infecting someone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, TXranchgal said:

We are sailing on the same cruise. 

Have you seen anything about a Mix & Mingle for that sailing?

No. The last word I had was that they were suspended.  Have not seen/heard of any starting back up. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

it might be more ‘everyday’ if you went directly to your SR, never left except once to twice a day for just a  bit, dining in your room and didn’t go ashore.

THAT would better parallel my 'everyday' during the early days of delta.  

Certainly doesn't resemble life at all now.   About the only thing missing now (for which we are thankful) are the tour buses!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Why?

Some people, like my wife, reacted very poorly to the vaccine. If you have such a negative reaction and you don't have to booster up, then I can understand not wanting to do it, especially as the virus seems to be winding down to the level of a bad cold.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ommadawn said:

Some people, like my wife, reacted very poorly to the vaccine. If you have such a negative reaction and you don't have to booster up, then I can understand not wanting to do it, especially as the virus seems to be winding down to the level of a bad cold.

That is only part of the problem.  Whilst Omicron is outcompeting Delta, some people are still getting very sick, and hospital cases in the UK are almost all amongst the unvaccinated.  It isn't just about keeping Covid under control on board ships it is also about trying to prevent people with serious infection needing intensive care whilst onboard and thereby reducing the risk of ships having to divert to get passengers into shoreside hospitals. Pre-boarding tests and having virtually all passengers fully vaccinated, including boosters, reduces risk and helps secure their commercial position.

18 hours ago, Definitas said:

That is only part of the problem.  Whilst Omicron is outcompeting Delta, some people are still getting very sick, and hospital cases in the UK are almost all amongst the unvaccinated.  It isn't just about keeping Covid under control on board ships it is also about trying to prevent people with serious infection needing intensive care whilst onboard and thereby reducing the risk of ships having to divert to get passengers into shoreside hospitals. Pre-boarding tests and having virtually all passengers fully vaccinated, including boosters, reduces risk and helps secure their commercial position.

While I wouldn't mind having this debate with you, I do believe that it might be against the current ban on them/desire by the moderators not to have every single thread devolve into those type of discussions. If it is not, then let me know and we can have it.

I will simply say that I understand why many people (myself included) don't want to spend the rest of their lives boosting against a disease every four months or so. If boosters are required, my wife and I may not be on our currently scheduled cruise in June. We want to cruise, but the booster may do her much, much more harm than good.

• Like 1

Hello. I'm a first time UK Celebrity cruiser.  Just booked 18 June Edge from Rome to Barcelona.  Was planning on having 2 days in Rome prior to sailing but wonder when the test would need to be taken to meet Celebrity requirements before boarding.  How many hours before do they need it?  Was thinking of having test at airport either on departure London Gatwick or on arrival in Rome but if its PCR test required not sure if that would work?

Hopefully testing may not be needed come June but in case it is wonder what tests Celebrity accept?  Thank you.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello. I'm a first time UK Celebrity cruiser.  Just booked 18 June Edge from Rome to Barcelona.  Was planning on having 2 days in Rome prior to sailing but wonder when the test would need to be taken to meet Celebrity requirements before boarding.  How many hours before do they need it?  Was thinking of having test at airport either on departure London Gatwick or on arrival in Rome but if its PCR test required not sure if that would work?

Hopefully testing may not be needed come June but in case it is wonder what tests Celebrity accept?  Thank you.

It’s actually easier, and accurate, to look at “days” rather than “hours” when planning to test.  It is based on the day of your cruise and anytime in the two days preceding that day, for example:  if you board on Saturday, test anytime Thursday or Friday; if you board Sunday, test anytime Friday or Saturday.

14 minutes ago, bama4cruisin said:

It’s actually easier, and accurate, to look at “days” rather than “hours” when planning to test.  It is based on the day of your cruise and anytime in the two days preceding that day, for example:  if you board on Saturday, test anytime Thursday or Friday; if you board Sunday, test anytime Friday or Saturday.

We board on saturday 18th so if we tested at Gatwick London on Thursday 16th before flying would this suffice.  Gatwick use Express Test walk through.  Also does it have to be PCR test still or are lateral flow acceptable?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We board on saturday 18th so if we tested at Gatwick London on Thursday 16th before flying would this suffice.  Gatwick use Express Test walk through.  Also does it have to be PCR test still or are lateral flow acceptable?

Thanks

It does NOT require a PCR.  We use the term “antigen” test, which is the same as a lateral flow.  

While we’ve not sailed on Edge, we sailed on the Apex TA Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale last October.  It was an amazing ship, and i know Edge must be as well.  Enjoy!

Thank you. That will good news. We are really looking forward to it.  I saw Celebrity Edge in the Caribbean in December and was fascinated by the look of her.  We can't stretch to a suite so have a concierge balcony. Should certainly be a different experience from Cunard and P&O.

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you. That will good news. We are really looking forward to it.  I saw Celebrity Edge in the Caribbean in December and was fascinated by the look of her.  We can't stretch to a suite so have a concierge balcony. Should certainly be a different experience from Cunard and P&O.

Oh Yes, it will most definitely be a different 'Newer Ship Build' experience.... and then some!!!

bon voyage

• Like 1

Glad to hear precruise testing will still be required for our March cruise.  Things are getting better but the minor inconvenience of a precruise test should help maintain a Covid free cruise which is the ultimate goal.

I’ve got my precruise test booked and am now trying to decide the best option for my post cruise test to fly home.  The post cruise test by Celebrity would work but so far I haven’t heard the cost of their antigen test.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Having sailed on all 3 I can tell you that it will be a different experience. In my view it will fall somewhere between Cunard and P&O. Not as formal as Cunard. They no longer have formal nights, they are now known as “Chic Nights” when you can dress up or not as long as you stay within the dress code. The food and service is equal to Cunard and better than P&O (remember, this is just MY opinion) 

We have 3 Celebrity cruises booked this year and 1 Cunard. We will enjoy them all. 

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Thanks

Hi

You can only get opinions,,,,,until Celebrity spells out their requirements for European cruises nobody knows.

Celebrity cruises last summer from UK and Athens never followed US protocols.

Another question is,,when will Celebrity get back to full occupancy they can’t survive another year with low passenger numbers,,,and for personal reasons I would rather have a full ship…more atmosphere.

Edited by JeanieC,Aston