Anyone ever tried to upgrade while onboard?

wolft927

So, I have 2 Balconies booked but due to 2 guests being 20 we had to split them up into separate rooms to make sure someone was over 21 in each. I am trying to upgrade from Balcony to Haven for both cabins. Anyone ever have any success upgrading while on board? Thanks again

16 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

So, I have 2 Balconies booked but due to 2 guests being 20 we had to split them up into separate rooms to make sure someone was over 21 in each. I am trying to upgrade from Balcony to Haven for both cabins. Anyone ever have any success upgrading while on board? Thanks again

All NCL ships have signs at Guest Services desk, "No Upgrades Available" (or something to that effect)!

The likelihood of getting 2 cabins upgraded, after embarkation, are greatly diminished by the

"Up-grade Advantage program"!

Didn't get an invitation to bid?    You can "try" using...  https://upgrade.plusgrade.com/offer/NCL/

In the really old days cruise lines would offer upgrades to people on embarkation day.  The way NCL upsells the Haven these days, its highly unlikely  this would happen.  The only scenario would be if same day cancellation happened that morning.  But even then, NCL has a long list of upgrade offers to go on.  Long story short - no Haven rooms sail empty.  NCL has a plan and a back up plan to never get to empty Haven rooms on embarkation day.  

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

Why can't you just upgrade now and pay the difference?

• Like 1

Time to do the negotiating is before getting on the ship - preferably days or weeks in advance.

You weren't sent an -e- mail offer - CALL and make an offer - if working with a TA you will have

to broker thru that agent (a good one knows the ins and outs to score a deal if available).

Haven accommodations - read the previous posts - you want the Haven you are going to have to

pay a premium of sorts. Last minute upgrades to Haven cabins are not going to have a wide

selection - remnants of what is left - the un-bid spoils.

I don't know if NCL still goes by life-boat cabin zone occupancy rules (may not apply to the

Haven) when a certain capacity is reached in a zone no more guests are permitted to be

added in that zone - but then with virus reductions may not apply at this time - as cruising

returns it may come back into play.

Book early - hope for an offer - make an offer - upgrade it - be flexible on pricing - don't give

up too easily - HOWEVER once pass the registration at the port and on board that's it DONE !

My wife and I were on Jan 29th/2022 Dawn sailing from Tampa.   We were in a club balcony suite.  I saw a sign somewhere that the ship was at capacity, don't ask for upgrades or room changes.  I was surprised as we knew it had approximately only 900 passengers.  We were puzzled, going to breakfast after about four or five days as we noticed our neighbors putting suitcases just outside their door.  They appeared normally dressed.  They were obviously going somewhere.  My wife suggested it was my snoring and it could have been, who knows.  She loves her earplugs. 

Unlikely that they were departing to one of the islands.  Covid, I don't think so. Room upgrade possibility ran contrary to previously mentioned NCL signage.  Family emergency or such perhaps.  Just hope it wasn't my snoring. 

When we checked in there was a gentleman beside us in a wheelchair by himself.  They announced to him that they were upgrading him at that point.  Kind of late don't you think?  I think they implied or said he was a frequent cruiser, not sure.  There wasn't lots of excitement exhibited by him or NCL.  Always a few unusual events on most cruises.  We enjoyed it immensely.   

7 hours ago, wolft927 said:

NCL does not do upgrades or room changes onboard. If they did, there would be thousands in line at guest services. 

True Story.  On our Bliss sailing Jan 9th to 16th.  On day two the third Bingo game winner was a move to the Haven.  We saw about 5:30pm, the lucky couple moving into the Haven.  We were sitting in the bar area and could see them at the Concierge desk, getting checked in.   Times have changed! but don't think this will happen often in the future, but it sure did.

somewhere girl, birdtravels is usually spot on in comments. trust me (although i'm sure you wont) 

if she posts ncl wont do upgrades once onboard, you can take that to the bank.. "THEY DONT & WONT"

good luck trying it! of course anything is possible, and you cant rule out this scenario in its entirety, but 

you'd probably have better luck getting the captain let you steer the ship overnight then getting an upgrade. 

also, if youve kept up with other posts, ncl defines "upgrade" much differently than you or i might.and certainly if by any chance there is an upgrade available, they wont just give it to you out of the goodness of there heart, be prepared to pay. youre much better off just booking the cabin you want right up front

so be careful what you wish for.... you just might get it.

I guess I imagined that I paid $200 at guest services to upgrade from a studio to a balcony on my Alaska cruise on Encore in September of 2021.  Trust me (although I'm sure you won't) it is possible but I really don't give a rat's ass if you're not interested in trying. The worst that could happen is they say no.

Edited by SomewhereGirl

16 minutes ago, SomewhereGirl said:

I guess I imagined that I paid $200 at guest services to upgrade from a studio to a balcony on my Alaska cruise on Encore in September of 2021.  Trust me (although I'm sure you won't) it is possible but I really don't give a rat's ass if you're not interested in trying. The worst that could happen is they say no.

During Covid times with reduced passenger numbers it wouldn't surprise me that you did get an upgrade, no reason to doubt your word.  Now, having said that, it definitely was an anomaly and the policy for the last gazillion years has been no upgrades once onboard.  I believe it will be like that again once full capacity is achieved in the near future.

Cheers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

During Covid times with reduced passenger numbers it wouldn't surprise me that you did get an upgrade, no reason to doubt your word.  Now, having said that, it definitely was an anomaly and the policy for the last gazillion years has been no upgrades once onboard.  I believe it will be like that again once full capacity is achieved in the near future.

Cheers.

I completely agree.  Things are different during Covid times.  

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 1

i sincerely hope you and the rat's ass have a truly enjoyable and memorable cruise. besides, i dont need to try, i book the cabin that i want 

and there is no need to upgrade. of course if i were booked into a studio, i would beg ,borrow or steal to get into a different cabin

claustrophobia is a horrible thing to deal with

to each his own

I booked the two bedroom Haven for my family for next February. I was dithering on added a sixth person who is unsure about coming, and was told to add it now and drop it later ( before full payment) because if they fill the life boats you can’t add anyone to your room. It meant paying an extra deposit and insurance even though I doubt the family member is coming. 

On 2/18/2022 at 2:47 PM, wolft927 said:

Did did get the invitation but need to be guaranteed to win both. Don't want my wife having Haven and not me lol

You can stay with her. The age thing is only for booking purposes.  No one cares who you put in each room. Heck, put all 4 in one room if you want 😁

On 2/19/2022 at 12:23 PM, complawyer said:

you'd probably have better luck getting the captain let you steer the ship overnight then getting an upgrade. 

A few years back, we arranged for a private tour of the bridge on the Sky. It was a small group and the tour was conducted by the Captain (lasted a little over an hour). The Captain was a great guy and we enjoyed talking with him about his favorite ships and itineraries and his plans for the future.

While we were on the bridge, the Captain had a young girl in the captain's chair as we departed Great Stirrup Cay. While we were on the bridge, they were securing from tendering, weighing the anchor and getting underway back to Miami. The Captain had the little girl call out orders (which no one really listened to). But, she thought se was steering the ship while there. The day prior, we were given a tour of the engine control room by the chief engineer (who seemed annoyed about the whole thing). 

1 hour ago, Photoc said:

You can stay with her. The age thing is only for booking purposes.  No one cares who you put in each room. Heck, put all 4 in one room if you want 😁

Sure, but then only one adult would have haven privileges (and one child).