Royal opts In

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Bye bye masks!

Carnival is doing the 95% and has masks. It's still up to each cruiseline. ..  dont get the carriage in front of the horses. 

They were not obligated before to change to masks in vaccinated areas and didmit anyway. It's up to rcl ...before and still. Lots of wishful thinking. 

I'm still wondering how they decide which kids get kicked off if the 5% is over.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

For Royal Caribbean to get to 95% vaccinated, I suspect they will need to require 5-11 year olds to be vaccinated.  Then they will have to limit the number of under 5 years to under 5% on every single sailing…that might not be too difficult

I believe children under 5 will most likely be excluded from the 5%.  

Modifications may give cruise lines more comfort opting in to CDC (seatrade-cruise.com)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

For Royal Caribbean to get to 95% vaccinated, I suspect they will need to require 5-11 year olds to be vaccinated.  Then they will have to limit the number of under 5 years to under 5% on every single sailing…that might not be too difficult

ACcording to RC, they are already averaging 95%+ vaccinated

23 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Carnival is doing the 95% and has masks. It's still up to each cruiseline. ..  dont get the carriage in front of the horses. 

They were not obligated before to change to masks in vaccinated areas and didmit anyway. It's up to rcl ...before and still. Lots of wishful thinking. 

I'm still wondering how they decide which kids get kicked off if the 5% is over.

Cruise lines want to make money again. Survive mode is over. Convincing a population of potential cruisers that cruising is safe amid covid is no longer necessary..  It's back to making money and seeking profitability mode.  Saying "yes we know the CDC doesn't require you to wear masks, but we still want you to" is not the way to achieve that.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Cruise lines want to make money again. Saying "yes we know the CDC doesn't require you to wear masks, but we still want you to" is not the way to achieve that.

Plus, under the previous CSO Carnival didn’t have the option to go mask free due to the fact that they went with the “test sailing” route. Right?

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

ACcording to RC, they are already averaging 95%+ vaccinated

So what about the 900 kids on the Thanksgiving liberty cruise ... average doesnt cover holiday sailings. .. lol ...people keep ignoring this and pretending it doesnt matter .. but 900 kids is way more than 5% unvaccinated I'd bet my boots.

Glad I dont have kids or I'd be worried and these glib answers.

13 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Plus, under the previous CSO Carnival didn’t have the option to go mask free due to the fact that they went with the “test sailing” route. Right?

Actually they started off mask free ...then that lady died who was 77 and suddenly carnival opted for testing and masks. There was even something in their quarterly report about law suits. The lawyer claimed carnival abandoned her in Belize at the Belize hospital ..she was too poor to get home and later died... 

I guess people forget that carnival started off no masks. .. until the lawsuits. 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually they started off mask free ...then that lady died who was 77 and suddenly carnival opted for testing and masks. There was even something in their quarterly report about law suits. The lawyer claimed carnival abandoned her in Belize at the Belize hospital ..she was too poor to get home and later died... 

I guess people forget that carnival started off no masks. .. until the lawsuits. 

I saw the Mardi Gras videos that ship was packed to the gills.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

When they started mask free that excluded anyone unvaccinated, as I remember now. 

3 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Why?

Being vaccinated or not has little to do with masking when it comes to stopping the spread of COVID.

Masks are optional for 95% vaccinated ships, for which all 21 RC ships are listed as

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lawyers say the darndest things

• Like 5

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Masks are optional for 95% vaccinated ships, for which all 21 RC ships are listed as

Yes but vaccination has little to do with masking or no masking is what I am saying. Royal can choose to do what they wish and they chose to opt in to a CDC program but in the end it doesn't mean they will or will not have certain mask policies.

NCL had been 100% vaccinated and still ended up for a while with masking requirements.

So I would not correlate one thing to another thing as far as policies.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J0Y0US said:

Yes but vaccination has little to do with masking or no masking is what I am saying. Royal can choose to do what they wish and they chose to opt in to a CDC program but in the end it doesn't mean they will or will not have certain mask policies.

NCL had been 100% vaccinated and still ended up for a while with masking requirements.

So I would not correlate one thing to another thing as far as policies.

Money talks. And cruise lines need money. And no masks mean more people cruising. And it won't have any impact on covid cases as we've seen all across the world

• Like 4

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Money talks. And cruise lines need money. And no masks mean more people cruising. And it won't have any impact on covid cases as we've seen all across the world

Except again they can go without masks already if they really wanted to but they have been cautious. Cruise lines even brought masking back in place like I outlined as well.

So I would confuse joining a new optional program with any changes to masking. As Royal said they already were at 95% anyways.

• Like 1

Michael Bayley just posted on his FB page about this.  Masks are optional for fully vaccinated.

Here's what he posted:

As many may know the CDC conditional sail order expired mid January and we continued to operate voluntarily under the program. Recently the CDC issued the next phase of guidelines consisting of three categories each built on the same foundation of protecting health and each with specific guidelines based on vaccination and booster status. All cruise lines had until today to opt in or out of the program.
Today Royal Caribbean confirmed we will participate in the CDC’s voluntary Program. Specifically, we will operate under the program’s Highly Vaccinated category beginning with sailings departing from the U.S. as of Friday, Feb. 25.
Requirements include sailing with 95% of crew members fully vaccinated, which Royal Caribbean already exceeds with 100% of its crew fully vaccinated and boosted when eligible. Ninety-five percent of guests must be fully vaccinated as well -- this excludes children under five years who are not eligible for the vaccine. The updated protocols will include face masks being optional for all fully vaccinated guests and expected for unvaccinated children. All kids will be required to wear face masks during Adventure Ocean youth program activities.
We are thoughtfully working through the details regarding other changes to our health and safety protocols which we will share with our guests and travel advisors before Feb. 25.
Edited by BND
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2