Mask Are Now Optional

tgg

Looks like masks will be optional when we sail on March 6th on the Quest.  I think this change is in effect immediately.

From an email I received today, February 18, 2022:

Face Masks and Physical Distancing

• Following the Vaccination Standard of Excellence guidelines as per the CDC's COVID-19 Voluntary Program, indoor mask wearing although optional, is recommended. Masks might be required in the ports of call we visit.
  • You'll find the entire ship and boarding process set up to allow for physical distancing, which is encouraged whenever interacting with those outside of your traveling party.

Edited by tgg
sp
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We got this email at 7:56 EST tonight:

• All guests must continue to wear masks indoors when physical distancing isn't possible and while visiting public ports of call, where local regulations may require them to do so.

Clearly some mixed messageing going on...

11 minutes ago, DS said:

• All guests must continue to wear masks indoors when physical distancing isn't possible and while visiting public ports of call, where local regulations may require them to do so.

I just read through my email again; don’t find this in the email.  Celebrity says that, but not my Azamara email 

I suspect different letters / protocols dependent on where ship is sailing ? The letter we’ve just received for Lisbon to Lisbon 29 March details mask wearing inside still, exactly in line with the one for the Canaries in Dec 2021. For the previous cruise from Miami, I wonder if a different starting position on mask wearing indoors?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mrs Skip said:

I suspect different letters / protocols dependent on where ship is sailing ? The letter we’ve just received for Lisbon to Lisbon 29 March details mask wearing inside still, exactly in line with the one for the Canaries in Dec 2021. For the previous cruise from Miami, I wonder if a different starting position on mask wearing indoors?

I wondered the same thing as we got the “Masks Required” email for our Apr 5 sailing tonight.  Time will tell I guess.

1 hour ago, DS said:

I received the same message last evening 

43 minutes ago, Mrs Skip said:

It would help if everyone posting here mentioned which cruise their letter applies to.  Maybe then we can find a pattern.

• Like 2

I think the key here is ‘ where physical distancing is not possible’

The mandate has in fact ceased and they are asking people to take their own responsibility.

This has been the case in the U.K. now for some time. If you walk into the bar and there is only 2 people in there then no mask required. If it’s full then put one on. This reliance on constantly being told what to do has to end at some point , and personnel responsibility replaces it.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mrs Skip said:

That would make perfect sense!  Our cruise is Caribbean 

We received this e mail this morning for our 23rd April Quest cruise:

Dear Azamara Guest,

Hope you are doing well and staying safe. With the current news on Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2, we would like to share some important information on the latest health protocols as we prepare to welcome you onboard.

Important Note: As health protocols evolve, we're committed to sharing updated requirements with you. These protocols are subject to change. Please note, many governments and certain airlines require proof of a negative SARS-CoV-2 test before entry or flight departure. Please check with your airline, local health authority or government travel agency regarding any requirements they may have when exiting or entering the countries you will visit.

Vaccination

• All our crew members are fully vaccinated, have received booster shots when eligible, and are tested frequently.
  • All guests are required to bring proof of vaccination, such as the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) COVID-19 vaccination record card, with the final dose of the vaccine completed at least 14 days before sailing.
  • Azamara currently only accepts guests that are vaccinated with FDA or EU approved vaccines.
  • Starting March 1, all vaccinated guests eligible for a booster, are required to have their booster dose in order to sail with Azamara
  • Check out our Explore Well At Sea page for the latest Covid-19 Vaccine and Booster guidelines.
    • Please note that vaccine requirements may vary on the country you are visiting. Although, we are continually adding, monitoring and adjusting information on vaccination requirements as public health conditions evolve, we suggest visiting the countries government site for the most up to date information.

Azamara Testing Requirements

• Although many of our guests are COVID-19 tested as a prerequisite to travel to the ship, for those guests that do not have this requirement (for instance US domestic travel, or those driving to the port), we strongly recommend all guests take a COVID-19 self-test at home prior to traveling.
  • As a requirement to sail with Azamara, all guests must undergo an antigen test at the terminal as described below. Testing at the terminal prior to embarkation will be conducted by a licensed and accredited third-party testing provider we have contracted. All guests must register for this testing and agree to the third-party testing provider terms and conditions. Registration details will be sent via email in advance.
    • Testing schedule:
      • At the Terminal: All guests are required to take an antigen test for COVID-19 when checking in at the terminal. Registration details for this test will be sent via email in advance. This test is complimentary.
      • Mid-Cruise: Azamara has opted in to the CDC COVID-19 Voluntary Program for Cruise Lines, adopting the Vaccination Standard of Excellence protocols. This implies that mid-cruise testing and debarkation testing for cruises where more than 95% of crew and guests are up to date on their vaccination status. Some countries we visit may still require COVID tests prior to entry.
      • Prior to Disembarking: Guests that are required to take a COVID-19 test prior to returning home can arrange this onboard. Please contact Guest Relations while onboard for further information.
  • Guests that have recovered from COVID-19 in the last 90 days should present the third-party testing provider with the following:
    • A paper or electronic copies of the guest's previous positive viral test result (dated no more than 90 days ago), and
    • A signed letter, on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of a licensed healthcare provider or public health official, stating that the guest was cleared to end isolation.
    • Having a recovery letter does not negate our vaccination requirements, and we highly encourage those guests who are eligible to receive a booster shot.

• Masks are not required when eating or drinking in our restaurants and bars, in your stateroom, and outside on the open decks.
  • You'll find the entire ship and boarding process set up to allow for physical distancing, which is encouraged whenever interacting with those outside of your traveling party.

Thank you for your understanding. We take great pride in bringing you and every Azamara guest unforgettable experiences both onboard our ships and within our destinations. We can assure you that your future Azamara vacation will deliver the highest standards of service and quality for which we are known. We will continue to update you as other country requirements become available.

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Advisor immediately for more details specific to your country of residence or visit https://www.azamara.com/contact-us for your local Azamara call center number.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely, 

Here is the face mask guidelines (also received yesterday) for the 17 March Transatlantic:

• Following the Vaccination Standard of Excellence guidelines as per the CDC's COVID-19 Voluntary Program, indoor mask wearing although optional, is recommended. Masks might be required in the ports of call we visit. 

49 minutes ago, WB57 said:

Here is the face mask guidelines (also received yesterday) for the 17 March Transatlantic:

What I’m picking up from this is that the TA from Miami to Lisbon is indoor masks optional but the cruise from Lisbon that follows is indoor masks mandatory. IMHO this heightens the risk of COVID to guests joining in Lisbon, not to mention crew on board. . Have to say we hadn’t factored that into our decision to book for 29 March…

43 minutes ago, Mrs Skip said:

What I’m picking up from this is that the TA from Miami to Lisbon is indoor masks optional but the cruise from Lisbon that follows is indoor masks mandatory. IMHO this heightens the risk of COVID to guests joining in Lisbon, not to mention crew on board. . Have to say we hadn’t factored that into our decision to book for 29 March…

1 hour ago, WB57 said:

My comments above were also for the TA on Mar 17   ( still required per email from last night).  I concur with the left hand / right hand suggestion!

Just now, suttonrunner said:
46 minutes ago, Mrs Skip said:

I cannot imagine that Azamara would relax the mask rule  then reinstate it for the following cruise, makes no sense at all

13 minutes ago, suttonrunner said:

I cannot imagine that Azamara would relax the mask rule  then reinstate it for the following cruise, makes no sense at all

It is based on where the cruise is occurring.

We found this on a crossing in December, when we were in the EU, the indoor mask policy was in force.  As soon as we started crossing, the mask policy was dropped.  Of course, it was reinstated the very next sailing in the US when Omicron raised it's ugly head.

We have a B2B2B on the Quest starting March 6th.  I have received multiple emails from AZ in the last 48 hours outlining the new/current health protocols.  Here’s the problem, none of the emails actually reference a specific cruise, they just say your “upcoming cruise “.   And guess what, some of the protocols says masks are required, some say recommend.  So I will have a mask handy until they can tell me which cruise is which.

Whilst the CDC has relaxed the mask ruling, surely that only applies to cruises in or out of USA. The ruling may be completely different in Europe, which is not subject to CDC rules. JMO

• Like 4

From the link posted by @Host Jazzbeau :

"Eighteen cruise brands representing 110 ships have so far officially enrolled in the new U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) updated program for cruise ships operating in U.S. waters."

Sycamore Partners (Azamara) is one of those eighteen cruise brands.

The words I have made bold in the quote explain to me the difference in mask regulations in and outside American waters.