Live from Majestic Princess February 19

californiagirl

Thanks CaliforniaGirl for taking the time to keep us all well informed on your cruise. Also best wishes for your dog’s good health. 

A quick question if I may. I understand there is only one show in the main theatre on embarkation day. Can you please let us know what time it is.

Thanks in advance.

I was on the Feb 5-19 cruise.  Cruise Director Natalie was fantastic.  Always friendly and a very stylish dresser.  She said she liked to wear nice dresses and had a closet full apparently.  She is replacing Kevin while he is on break for around 6 weeks.  Presumably he will be back shortly.   Her entertainment staff are mostly new and have just come onboard.  Merinda, who does Zumba, had a medical issue just as we were leaving last Friday Feb 18.  Seems many of the crew were changing contracts.  The fitness trainers were just coming on as well.  

• Like 1

Hoping your dog is doing much better after the vet’s visit!
Thanks for answering questions everyone!
We have cruised with Natalie Costa in 2018 and thought she was great. We are now booked on the Majestic for April 16th and getting really excited to cruise again after 2+ years. I was wondering if I can book the Harmony Specialty Dining (included in the Princess Plus package) before embarking or have to wait till we get on board? Are all 3 dining rooms Concerto, Symphony, and Allegro available as choices in the Dine My Way on the Medallion app? 
Also if you can any provide any info about the typical times for the game shows and Princess Theatre  shows, it would help a lot in choosing my dining times!

Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Arya3 said:

We have cruised with Natalie Costa in 2018 and thought she was great. We are now booked on the Majestic for April 16th and getting really excited to cruise again after 2+ years. I was wondering if I can book the Harmony Specialty Dining (included in the Princess Plus package) before embarking or have to wait till we get on board? Are all 3 dining rooms Concerto, Symphony, and Allegro available as choices in the Dine My Way on the Medallion app? 
Also if you can any provide any info about the typical times for the game shows and Princess Theatre  shows, it would help a lot in choosing my dining times!

Thanks!

I can help with the showtimes. For Mexican Rivera cruise, there’s only one show at 8:30pm in the theater on embarkation day (usually a comedy show). For the rest of the cruise, there’re 2 shows at 7:30pm and 9:30pm. Game show in Princess Live usually starts at 8:30pm right after the first show in the theater.

I’ve never seen Harmony gets crowded. So I wouldn’t worry so much about reservation unless it’s for a very large group. 

8 hours ago, Arya3 said:

Thanks!

Sometimes it lets you book the comp dining ahead, sometimes it doesn't. Give it a try; worst case, you don't have to finish the transaction.😀

I am also on this cruise. Agree with many of the topics covered. Caveat- this is my first Princess Cruise.

Natalie - very friendly and approachable.

Medallion App - when it works its great when it doesn't aiyiyi!

Dining - mass chaos long lines in main dining even at 7:30/8:00. Not alot of choices. Buffet, better than expected, but still underwhelming. 

So far, I have been to Allegro, Concerto x2, and Crown Grill, the buffet (only for lunch), the Noodle Bar and the Burger/Lobster thingy.  The only time my food was HOT was soup from the Noodle Bar, a hotdog/fries from the Burger/Lobster place and the buffet. Otherwise, my food has arrived lukewarm and after a couple of bites its just unappetizing. 

Staff/Service has been excellent. So I think it may have to do with an increased passenger load.

I also could not resist booking this at a very cheap rate for a balcony. $686 - drinks package, tips and internet. I was also able to score 1 specialty dining certificate which based on reports I am wishing I had used at Harmony vs Crown Grill. Oh well, live and learn.

Going to Tea today at 3 as well as giving the International Cafe/ Sandwich shop a whirl.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, cruzsnooze said:

It is a lady Natalie who wears old lady dresses.

I believe it is Natalie Costa from Australia. I really liked her fashionable dresses she wore in my opinion . She was the assistant or CD when I cruised with her, I have a photo somewhere.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

I believe it is Natalie Costa from Australia. I really liked her fashionable dresses she wore in my opinion . She was the assistant or CD when I cruised with her, I have a photo somewhere.

There are some pix of Natalie at the end of Page 2 of this thread.

Days 4-5

Sorry to be MIA but it sounds like others helped answer questions.  Update on the dog.  He is much better and came home last night.  My husband said he was clingy but that could be from staying overnight at the vet hospital.  He is a big baby, the dog not my husband.  

Our weather has been spectacular!  Clear blue sky, warm but not too hot.  I have never been to Mazatlan.  It is a very developed city.  The cruise ship docks in an industrial port.  There is a shuttle that takes passengers to the port entry.  Yesterday I walked the blue line.  Not much except for restaurants at the square.  The walk was nice.  I noticed there was wheelchair accessible curbing…kind of.  The slope is very steep so the person pushing the wheelchair needs to be fairly strong.  

Today I walked to the beach from the ship.  Very, very easy to do. We were docked on the north side.  The Norwegian Bliss came about 2 hours after we arrived and docked to the southeast of us.  The Bliss was docked closer to the beach path.  There is a free shuttle that will take you from one terminal to the other.  I rented beach chairs and an umbrella for $20 US.  I did not haggle.  The few dollars I would have saved probably meant more to the man on the beach than me.  The beach was nice and the waves were very small.  Lots of families on the beach. The water was too cold for me.  Only a couple of people were in the water.  I felt very safe as a woman walking around by myself.  There were lots of people selling things on the beach.  They were not bothersome.  

Regarding the dining room.  Only the Allegro and Concerto are being used for passengers.  It does not matter whether or not you have a reservation, you are seated in order of moving to the front of the line.  I had a visit with the restaurant manager last night.  They tried to seat me at a terrible table when there were several quiet, nice tables unoccupied.  When I asked to be seated at one of those the host said to me those tables were for people who made a reservation on the medallion app.  I told him I made a reservation on the app.  He kept trying to tell me I had not.  At that point I asked to speak to the manager.  I was polite as I explained what had just occurred.  The manager was very nice and clarified.  He said he could see that I did in fact have a reservation but those tables were for people who were onboard multi-weeks and had requested the same table. I agreed they should have a perk like that. He said they hold those tables for 15 minutes after the reserved time and then release them if no one shows up.  When I told him that Princess was promising the moon to passengers he put his face in his hands and said yes.  He said he didn’t know what they would do when the ship is sailing at full capacity.  Even with a third dining room for passengers they will not be able to meet demand at peak times.  I think they will need to hold a hard line regarding those with reservations.  They also need to go back to the pager system for passengers without reservations.  

I just returned from dinner.  They gave me a lovely table tonight without asking.  (There must be a note by my name saying “Karen”.)   I had the same wait staff as last night and they were wonderful.  The goat cheese soufflé is one of my dishes onboard.  The menu is exactly the same as we had on Regal in November.

I have really enjoyed the Enclave.  I purchased it for $139 pre-cruise.  I believe this is less than if I waited to purchase it onboard.  I love the heated loungers.  Because of the Hollywood Conservatory I did not reserve a lounge in the Sanctuary.  I think I like the Conservatory better than the Sanctuary.  I can move freely between the pool and the lounge without needing to go in and out of the Sanctuary.  

• Like 2

Ditto on the reservations debacle. Ditto on having "a note in my file". The restaurant manager sent a very nice bottle of wine last night and tonight my food was HOT! I have also received an invite to wine tasting tomorrow afternoon. 

Ditto on the goat cheese souffle. It was awesome.  

Afternoon tea was absolutely lovely; clotted cream and sandwiches included. I thoroughly enjoyed it and encourage anyone curious to give it a try. I also tried the International Cafe, maybe its just me, but the sandwiches in the case didn't make me want to actually try one so I got a ham and cheese croissant and called it a day.

• Like 1

Goat cheese soufflé was very good! It’s very rich though, big enough to share. 

677E3B14-3170-49AD-A17A-4B7360C9AF62.thumb.jpeg.4872090e12a0748d991a9f4898099ba7.jpeg

I made reservation for MDR every night but still have to wait in line for check in. There’s no separated line for those who have reservation. I have different table and different server everyday. I asked if I could get the same table and same server every night but that’s proven to be difficult on this cruise. Most servers seem to be running around so I guess they’re overwhelmed. So far MDR experience hasn’t been as good as my January cruise.

My server (Delwyn or Delwin) in Allegro said they were sending his assistant home at the end the Feb 5- 12 cruise, which was the end of his contract. That was about eight months from when Majestic started Alaska, so maybe a lot of the experienced crew got sent home. Even if some new staff came on to replace them, they would not be as up to snuff, plus nearly doubling passenger loads.  I was usually done in the  MDR in 45 minutes, pacing of service was perfect, eg plates cleared within minutes, next course within minutes. It probably helped that my section was usually empty except for the two formal nights!! No complaints about cold food. 

However I had  similar issues with attempts to put the solo diner in the worst locations (near the busing station or traffic). To be fair this is a common practice even in fine dining restaurants. After a disaster in Alfredo at boarding lunch, I refused the bad tables. After the first night MDR I asked the hostess to assign me the same table each night. She said she'd have to talk to her manager and they did. 

Just call me Karen.

Edited by mlgb
  • Haha 1

I'm sure californiagirl or one of the others currently onboard will chime in, but I have seen nothing being given as a placeholder for dinner. The earliest I have gone is 6:30, but I tend to eat in the 7:30 to 8:30 range. Longest wait has been 10 minutes after reaching the hostess station.

• Like 1

Currently no pagers in the dining room.  I did see them give out pagers at the grill by the pool. 

A few other observations.  My room steward has more cabins than I have ever seen a single person responsible for.  I had to request a robe and ice.  Neither were automatically provided as on every other cruise we have been on.  After that I have not made any more requests.  I don’t want to add more work.  I noticed there is as much work per cabin regardless of there being one or two people.  But the stewards get half the tips with a solo passenger.  I plan to leave an extra tip on Saturday.  In another thread there was an extensive discussion regarding what kind of soap is in the cabin.  I have bar soap at the bathroom sink.  It’s is a gooey mess today but it has not been changed out for a new bar.  Again this is different.  As reported on other threads there is no turndown service in the evening.  In November our steward provided evening turndown service without being asked by us.  He had far fewer cabins to service as our section of the ship was minimally occupied.  All of these differences combine to a general cut back.  I understand the necessity for Princess to stay in business.  However when the ships are full again and prices return to prepandemic levels I hope we also see a return to the prepandemic benefits.  These are all first world problems.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, californiagirl said:

Days 4-5

Sorry to be MIA but it sounds like others helped answer questions.  Update on the dog.  He is much better and came home last night.  My husband said he was clingy but that could be from staying overnight at the vet hospital.  He is a big baby, the dog not my husband.  

Our weather has been spectacular!  Clear blue sky, warm but not too hot.  I have never been to Mazatlan.  It is a very developed city.  The cruise ship docks in an industrial port.  There is a shuttle that takes passengers to the port entry.  Yesterday I walked the blue line.  Not much except for restaurants at the square.  The walk was nice.  I noticed there was wheelchair accessible curbing…kind of.  The slope is very steep so the person pushing the wheelchair needs to be fairly strong.  

Today I walked to the beach from the ship.  Very, very easy to do. We were docked on the north side.  The Norwegian Bliss came about 2 hours after we arrived and docked to the southeast of us.  The Bliss was docked closer to the beach path.  There is a free shuttle that will take you from one terminal to the other.  I rented beach chairs and an umbrella for $20 US.  I did not haggle.  The few dollars I would have saved probably meant more to the man on the beach than me.  The beach was nice and the waves were very small.  Lots of families on the beach. The water was too cold for me.  Only a couple of people were in the water.  I felt very safe as a woman walking around by myself.  There were lots of people selling things on the beach.  They were not bothersome.  

Regarding the dining room.  Only the Allegro and Concerto are being used for passengers.  It does not matter whether or not you have a reservation, you are seated in order of moving to the front of the line.  I had a visit with the restaurant manager last night.  They tried to seat me at a terrible table when there were several quiet, nice tables unoccupied.  When I asked to be seated at one of those the host said to me those tables were for people who made a reservation on the medallion app.  I told him I made a reservation on the app.  He kept trying to tell me I had not.  At that point I asked to speak to the manager.  I was polite as I explained what had just occurred.  The manager was very nice and clarified.  He said he could see that I did in fact have a reservation but those tables were for people who were onboard multi-weeks and had requested the same table. I agreed they should have a perk like that. He said they hold those tables for 15 minutes after the reserved time and then release them if no one shows up.  When I told him that Princess was promising the moon to passengers he put his face in his hands and said yes.  He said he didn’t know what they would do when the ship is sailing at full capacity.  Even with a third dining room for passengers they will not be able to meet demand at peak times.  I think they will need to hold a hard line regarding those with reservations.  They also need to go back to the pager system for passengers without reservations.  

I just returned from dinner.  They gave me a lovely table tonight without asking.  (There must be a note by my name saying “Karen”.)   I had the same wait staff as last night and they were wonderful.  The goat cheese soufflé is one of my dishes onboard.  The menu is exactly the same as we had on Regal in November.

I have really enjoyed the Enclave.  I purchased it for $139 pre-cruise.  I believe this is less than if I waited to purchase it onboard.  I love the heated loungers.  Because of the Hollywood Conservatory I did not reserve a lounge in the Sanctuary.  I think I like the Conservatory better than the Sanctuary.  I can move freely between the pool and the lounge without needing to go in and out of the Sanctuary.  

Loving your review!  I board Saturday with 4 girlfriends!  I just tested NEGATIVE for Covid!  Yea!

I have a few questions…

What time are you heading to dining room?  We have really early reservations and I hope that helps!

I didn’t think the majestic had a sanctuary? Has that changed? 

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!  Thanks!

13 hours ago, californiagirl said:

14 hours ago, californiagirl said:

I thought that the Majestic didn't have a Sanctuary...?🚢

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwattle said:

I thought that the Majestic didn't have a Sanctuary...?🚢

@spingalThe Majestic doesn’t have a Sanctuary. It has the Hollywood Conservatory instead but they don’t charge to use it. One of the reasons the Majestic is my favorite ship at this time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

@spingalThe Majestic doesn’t have a Sanctuary. It has the Hollywood Conservatory instead but they don’t charge to use it. One of the reasons the Majestic is my favorite ship at this time.

That's what I thought, and that's why Californiagirl's comment threw me 🙂