Are they going to start limiting kids?

wesnliz

10 minutes ago, wesnliz said:

So….with new rules are they going to start limiting kids under 5? Doing what carnival does?

Updated protocols for sailings departing the U.S. and Puerto Rico on or after February 25, 2022

Royal Caribbean International will participate in the U.S. CDC's voluntary COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships Operating in U.S. waters, beginning with sailings departing on or after February 25th, 2022 from the U.S. (including Puerto Rico). We will be operating under the Highly Vaccinated category defined by the CDC.

To be considered Highly Vaccinated, requirements include sailing with 95% of crew members fully vaccinated, which we already meet with 100% of our crew. And, 95% of guests eligible for the vaccine must be fully vaccinated as well - this excludes children under five years who are not eligible for the vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm not convinced this answers the question. I know liberty had 900 kids last thanksgiving and they werent all under age 5. 

No one knows the answer imo.

It has been stated by the cdc and Michael Bayley that kids under 5 do not count in the calculations so the  5% can be kids 5 to 11 of which a large portion are already vaccinated. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It has been stated by the cdc and Michael Bayley that kids under 5 do not count in the calculations so the  5% can be kids 5 to 11 of which a large portion are already vaccinated. 

I said the same thing above. My pt is that many of the 900 kids were over the ge of 5. Everyone keeps repeating the exact same thing about kids under 5.    No one addressed what if there are more than 5% unvaccinated kids over the age of 5, summer, holidays. Hmmm.

Summer typically used to have more kids. Average doesnt matter if there are more than 5% between the age of 5 and 12. ... people dont seem to want to ask? How will they decide which unvaccinated can board. We had a lady I talked to on liberty  not vaccinated and she wasnt allowed in the bars which were vaccinated only lol. She had to ask someone to go buy her a drink. 

I still have questions and 3 people repeating kids under 5 dont count toward the 5% ....no one seems to know how they will choose. It's a wait and see. Maybe they will just give up and stay home.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

They will not have to limit kids.  They will still be limiting eligible unvaccinated. 

if your kids are in this category - you are taking a risk that they make the cut.

Several posters dont seem to get this ... so let's wait and see and we can think .. I told you so .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is all temporarily anyway folks. I believe that by the summer, the 95% rule no longer exists. Since ships aren't sailing at full capacity anyway, and a number of 5-12 year olds are vaccinated I have no concerns about Royal having any capacity issues with kids in this age range.

16 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Summer typically used to have more kids. Average doesnt matter if there are more than 5% between the age of 5 and 12. ... people dont seem to want to ask? How will they decide which unvaccinated can board. We had a lady I talked to on liberty  not vaccinated and she wasnt allowed in the bars which were vaccinated only lol. She had to ask someone to go buy her a drink. 

This may be a hint.  I'm on the April 17 Anthem sail which is Easter week. This sail has not been available for booking, at least over the last 2 weeks.  The only thing that I can think is that this sail has reached the estimated desired capacity H&S protocols goal.

Ps.  I've got 4 cabins booked and one of them is mine as a solo.  The other 3 has a child 8 and the other 2 are 12 and over.  None of them are vaxxed.  I know that I have to wait til RCL announces the H&S protocols, however,  l've posed the question to my TA, that I want a refund for those 2 cabins as we are not cancelling, but RCL/CDC will not allow them to sail.

23 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We've been trying to finally cruise with our grand kids again after a few missed cruises...sorry that I didn't take it as perhaps it was intended.

And I'm hoping we can do the same. My problem isn't with the under 5 crowd, I'm not a fan of the run amuck tweens and teens. Luckily we only cruise during school time and do longer cruises, so we've actually only had one bad experience in 200 plus nights.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nelblu said:

There's some sensitivity, as there have been posters on some threads that have been critical of kids.

There have always been those that criticize sailing with kids but they have other options. RCI has always been family friendly and just one of the many reasons we have been sailing with them since the early 1990's. Our young kids then are parents sailing with their little ones now and so it goes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MommaBear55 said:

And I'm hoping we can do the same. My problem isn't with the under 5 crowd, I'm not a fan of the run amuck tweens and teens. Luckily we only cruise during school time and do longer cruises, so we've actually only had one bad experience in 200 plus nights.

I'm not a fan of the parents that let's those tweens run amuck.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

There have always been those that criticize sailing with kids but they have other options. RCI has always been family friendly and just one of the many reasons we have been sailing with them since the early 1990's. Our young kids then are parents sailing with their little ones now and so it goes.

Believe me I know.  My daughter, SIL and my 2 grandkids are very disappointed that they cannot sail with me and my son, DIL and my youngest grandchild.  Previous cruises we had a blast.

In it's absence they are going to Disney World and because they started the process later than usual they are faced with sticker shock.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Believe me I know.  My daughter, SIL and my 2 grandkids are very disappointed that they cannot sail with me and my son, DIL and my youngest grandchild.  Previous cruises we had a blast.

In it's absence they are going to Disney World and because they started the process later than usual they are faced with sticker shock.

Why can't they sail with you?

• Like 1

I feel this is going to be one of those situations that Royal tries to see how close to the line they can get without going over (or getting caught)

For every 1,000 passengers 5+, 50 can be un-vaccinated. So these upcoming Spring Break and Summer cruises, I can easily see there being 3000+ passengers on some of the larger ships (meaning 3000 people over the age of 5, PLUS their 0-4 kids as well). So if there are more than 150 un-vax kids, what will Royal do? Cut off bookings for anyone 5-11 and hope the percentages work out before sail date? Sail at 92-94% and just not say anything (since it's a voluntary program anyway, is anyone really auditing each and every sailing)

If they can get very close to 95% without any more changes, they wont do any more changes. If they have too many cruises coming up with a higer percentage of unvaccinated 5-11 year olds, they may be forced to either cut off new bookings, or require vaccines at younger ages.

• Like 1

I thought they already had been dealing with this.   It has nothing to do with kid bookings - vaccines are available for 5+.

When you don’t upload vaccine proof and you show up unvax at the port, they will determine if there is room for you to get on or not.   At least that’s what happened last summer if I recall? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cel_cruise said:

I thought they already had been dealing with this.   It has nothing to do with kid bookings - vaccines are available for 5+.

When you don’t upload vaccine proof and you show up unvax at the port, they will determine if there is room for you to get on or not.   At least that’s what happened last summer if I recall? 

these days there's a different environment and H&S protocols.

32 minutes ago, nelblu said:

12 & 14 years old and unvaxxed.

Makes sense. Most likely they already recovered from Corona? My kids did (they are under 12) so I am not vaccinating them. One day the CDC will recognize natural immunity.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, exm said:

Makes sense. Most likely they already recovered from Corona? My kids did (they are under 12) so I am not vaccinating them. One day the CDC will recognize natural immunity.

I hope you enjoy other vacations besides cruising or visiting other countries then. 

I also hope that for all of those with “natural immunity” that this does not end up like chicken pox / shingles…sigh…

• Like 6
  • Haha 1