The Daily for Monday 02/21/2022

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all! Happy family day and Presidents’ Day!  It’s freaking cold and snowy here again, oh well.  
@dfish hope the soap helps, worth a try.

@kazu nice to hear of your stone angel.  I find I can’t get as much done as I used to, I heard the term languishing, after all the stress we’ve all been under, you more than most.  
@JazzyV I had very severe plantar fasciitis twice, the first time orthotics and exercises worked. The second time after several weeks of Physio they used shock wave to breakup the scar tissue and that worked.  I’ve been pain free for years, but wear my orthotics or believe it or not croc sandals in the house always!   Hope you can get relief! 
@irishjimhappy birthday Tomorrow, I hope you get your wish! 

@StLouisCruisersglad the surgery went well,  hope your niece improves. 
@Sharon in AZyum! Love nicoise!

@Vict0riannsurprise on the snow, I guess you tempted those weather sprites with all your talk of gardening, lol! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning from the Pacific Northwest. 

We woke up to snow today - enough to cover the grass and make the roads slushy. We fared better than areas to the south of us closer to Stanwood and Marysville. They had over 6" in places. we also had blue skies, bright sunshine, and very large hailstones all at the same time! You have to love Mother Nature! 

Nothing too much planned for Monday here. DH is slow to get going in the morning so we're working on speeding up that process. It's slow work but I tell him, if he wants to cruise this summer, then he has to do a few things to get that body going. It's a motivator for him. Meanwhile I find plenty †o keep me busy. 

Have a good Monday!

Karen

• Like 26

Gosh, that took a long time to read!  But I kept getting interrupted.  DD called on her way home from her orthopedic appointment and said the doctor told her she was healed beautifully and she should cancel her afternoon PT appointment.  She has had no pain from either the carpal tunnel or the tennis elbow surgery sites.  Then we paused for lunch.  Then at 1 pm my head started to ache so I took some Tylenol and loosened the tape on my forehead because it seemed to be pulling the skin too tight.  Starting to help a little bit.

Also DB says the rehab doctor visited Jennifer and says she will be required to be hospitalized for several weeks while getting therapy there.  I just hope she won't have lost any of her skills, or function.  🤞

Oh good grief!  Now the big lawn mowers are back and passing back and forth outside our rear windows. Sooo loud.   My aching head!  🤕

I think I'll pass commenting today on days of celebration, the quote, the menu, drink and wine.  But prayers will be said for our list as well as cheers for celebrants.  Hi to my friend Joy @Seasick Sailorand Allen.  @irishjimhappy birthday tomorrow and a good report on Sheila's arm at her doctor visit.  Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor the Lincoln quote on the stone at the cemetery.  Very beautiful.  Gisborne, New Zealand was not a port stop on either of our NZ trips.  And we hadn't seen that port before on the Daily.  

Meanwhile time to lie down and rest my head.  Have a nice day my friends!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

It got into the 40s (F) here yesterday so I fired up the grill for cheeseburgers. Sounds pedestrian but they were a treat since it has been quite awhile since we had any! Sirloin tip roast (with broccoli and roasted potatoes) is planned for tonight along with the last slices of apple pie. 

What time is dinner?   I wonder if I can get there in time.   It sounds wonderful, including the cheeseburgers.  I haven't had a good burger since I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska last September.  

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Also sending a card today to cousin Vicki - we are trying to do that regularly, just to let them know we are thinking of them.  

How thoughtful of you!   I'm not sure my cousins would care.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi everyone.  I am home from my Mohs surgery and he said the first pass was good.  I'm clear, so he gave me 3 stitches underneath and 8 on top, all dissolvable.  I won't even have to go back for a recheck.  I should keep ice on it 20 minutes of every hour today, but the bandaging is so thick I don't know if it will help much.  They said I could end up with a black eye due to blood draining downward but that's okay.  I'm not going anywhere.  Thank you for your prayers for my surgery. 

That is good news.   I've seen Mohs surgery done and know how they check the surrounding tissue s well.   I'm glad yours was so successful.

Meanwhile DB texted me this message moments ago.  It's an update on Jennifer.  Apparently she had a restless night.  But this is the latest:

CT this am. No changes from yesterday's scan. Subdural hematomas right side & front. No additional bleeding seen in brain. She doesn't really remember anything from yesterday.  Has been sitting up they let her have liquids.

That is a good report except for the restless night.   I'm glad to see she is sitting up and able to take liquids.  It will be a long recovery, but it sounds like she is on the right track.

2 hours ago, irishjim said:

Happy  Presidents day  and Family  day. Tomorrow  I  take  my Wife Sheila  to see

her Surgeon  to check  her  arm. It  also  happens  to  be  my  Birthday I  will  be 83 Wow.

Hope  I  get a good report on  Sheila  this  would  be a  great  Birthday gift.

Jim.                     

I agree that a good report for Sheila would be a wonderful birthday gift for you!  I hope you both get what you are wishing for. 

35 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@dfish hope the soap helps, worth a try.

I forgot to buy Ivory soap at the store.   Will Dove work?

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

@StLouisCruisers that sounds like good news on both fronts.  While Jennifer has a very long road ahead to healing but awake and drinking liquids is a really good sign.

I knew Gisborne sounded familiar.  I was due there in 2018 but something came up that made us cancel and we overnighted in Napier instead, so they are quite close.

Roy

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

Good morning from the Pacific Northwest. 

We woke up to snow today - enough to cover the grass and make the roads slushy. We fared better than areas to the south of us closer to Stanwood and Marysville. They had over 6" in places. we also had blue skies, bright sunshine, and very large hailstones all at the same time! You have to love Mother Nature! 

Yours is one of the areas north of us I was thinking of when I said there's snow north of us.  Crazy, I heard that there were some areas around Marysville with 8 inches -- and that's only 8 miles from me.  Meanwhile I just came in from putting stain on some of my half barrel planters.  The sun is shining, but it's chilly. 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

And now they are predicting snow for the next few days. I guess I should have shouted Hoodie Hoo louder...

LOL Fred, I think we all should have shouted louder.  We have another storm coming in tomorrow night and of course there may be more flooding 😠 before it goes back to the deep freeze.

3 hours ago, irishjim said:

I  take  my Wife Sheila  to see her Surgeon  to check  her  arm. It  also  happens  to  be  my  Birthday I  will  be 83 Wow.

Praying all goes well for Sheila.  A good report on her would be the best birthday gift ever!  

An early Happy Birthday to you, Jim

F449D972-BC1C-4C45-BE0E-31CE86F19AC6.jpeg.ba75b1ac7a17d8f47277d5002f36c720.jpeg

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi everyone.  I am home from my Mohs surgery and he said the first pass was good.  I'm clear, so he gave me 3 stitches underneath and 8 on top, all dissolvable.  I won't even have to go back for a recheck.

That is really good news!

54 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DD called on her way home from her orthopedic appointment and said the doctor told her she was healed beautifully and she should cancel her afternoon PT appointment.  She has had no pain from either the carpal tunnel or the tennis elbow surgery sites. 

More good news!  Happy to hear it!

54 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Also DB says the rehab doctor visited Jennifer and says she will be required to be hospitalized for several weeks while getting therapy there.  I just hope she won't have lost any of her skills, or function.  🤞

Oh dear on poor Jennifer.  I hope the therapy can help her and she gains some skills or function 🙏🏻 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon, Dailyites. We’re on our way home from camping a few days. We have gone to the Western Winter Blast for the last several years (not last year obviously 😕). Slow going due to high winds and of course there’s a lot of traffic for the last day of a holiday weekend. 

I still haven’t caught up reading the Daily (having fun and spotty reception) but I am up to yesterday. 

Take care everyone! 
2C92C48B-4800-4AA0-B6D1-436B416D1C57.thumb.jpeg.94f9dd45357a643a2493e5148a992dc6.jpeg

• Like 24

I am among those who did not "Hoodie'-Hoo" loudly enough.... or else Mother Nature yelled "Back atcha".... we are due for rain/snow and some wind tonight.... snow showers tomorrow (or maybe just snow) and then increasing snow tomorrow night and heavy snow on Wednesday.... or so say the weather prophets. I would pay less attention if the shelter roof was in better condition. As it is, I cancelled the BOD meeting for Wednesday night since a number of the directors live out of town. Now I wait.

Sorry to hear that Jennifer is in for long hospital stay, but hopefully she will regain ground. Prayers continue.

Off to the shelter to dog walk while I can. And also to be sure we are properly equipped with buckets if or as needed. I will be so glad when the construction is over.

Susan

• Like 25

Good Afternoon, thanks for the daily report.  Today is a work day, almost over, and it was very quiet.  Most customers don't realize that our holidays off have changed.  It was a good day.  I worked with my PCC and booked the 3/30 Eurodam sailing to the Canal.  I also rebooked two cruises that I previously cancelled for about half the price.  So we will be on the Zaandam doing the Canada New England itinerary.  I hope that everyone has a good day.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I forgot to buy Ivory soap at the store.   Will Dove work?

I don’t think my mom was picky,  I have no idea how or why this could possibly work, but worth a go, good luck!  

4 hours ago,  Overhead Fred said: 

And now they are predicting snow for the next few days. I guess I should have shouted Hoodie Hoo louder...

LOL Fred, I think we all should have shouted louder.  We have another storm coming in tomorrow night and of course there may be more flooding 😠 before it goes back to the deep freeze.

me too!   Apologies Jacqui for the strange quoting,   CC is acting up for me.  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 17

Good afternoon after a busy morning doing laundry and other chores.  We tried to take our ride before the dust got here, but didn't make it.  We saw a lot of blowing dust in town from the vacant lots.  At least, in our neighborhood, which is out of town a ways, all the lots are rocked.  Our blowing dust comes for the atvs that are ripping around the desert even in this wind.  It's the desert trails that are dusty as there is a protective layer of rocks on most of the open desert land, which is why everyone is supposed (operative word supposed) to stay on the developed trails.

8 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In honor of President's day, this is from my brother's cemetery:

lincoln.JPG.7b27c5374fba3f809bce2fb65c50f128.JPG

Roy

Roy, thanks for the picture of the Lincoln quote, which was very moving.  I hope your visit to the cemetery brought you comfort and peace.  

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Hi everyone.  I am home from my Mohs surgery and he said the first pass was good.  I'm clear, so he gave me 3 stitches underneath and 8 on top, all dissolvable.  I won't even have to go back for a recheck.  I should keep ice on it 20 minutes of every hour today, but the bandaging is so thick I don't know if it will help much.  They said I could end up with a black eye due to blood draining downward but that's okay.  I'm not going anywhere.  Thank you for your prayers for my surgery. 

Meanwhile DB texted me this message moments ago.  It's an update on Jennifer.  Apparently she had a restless night.  But this is the latest:

CT this am. No changes from yesterday's scan. Subdural hematomas right side & front. No additional bleeding seen in brain. She doesn't really remember anything from yesterday.  Has been sitting up they let her have liquids.

Sandi, I'm glad the doctor could get it all in one try.  Take it easy today.  That is good news about Jennifer, that although it was a restless night, there is no new bleeding.  Also good that she is sitting up and taking liquids.

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

I think I did "single tasking" last night when I spent quite awhile looking for an ocean get-away to book for the grandsons' birthdays this summer.  I finally found something good that hits all my requirements.  

Great news that you found what you were looking for when you celebrate the DGS's birthdays this summer.  That is a nice thing to look forward to in the coming months.

5 hours ago, irishjim said:

Happy  Presidents day  and Family  day. Tomorrow  I  take  my Wife Sheila  to see

her Surgeon  to check  her  arm. It  also  happens  to  be  my  Birthday I  will  be 83 Wow.

Hope  I  get a good report on  Sheila  this  would  be a  great  Birthday gift.

Jim.                     

Jim, an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY.  I hope you get your birthday wish and Shelia gets a good report from her surgeon.

Sandi, the medical team seem to be on top of things if the rehab doctor has already visited Jennifer.  Sorry it will mean a long hospital stay, but it could also mean a really good outcome and that she will regain any ground lost.

1 hour ago, dobiemom said:

Good afternoon, Dailyites. We’re on our way home from camping a few days. We have gone to the Western Winter Blast for the last several years (not last year obviously 😕). Slow going due to high winds and of course there’s a lot of traffic for the last day of a holiday weekend. 

I still haven’t caught up reading the Daily (having fun and spotty reception) but I am up to yesterday. 

Take care everyone! 
2C92C48B-4800-4AA0-B6D1-436B416D1C57.thumb.jpeg.94f9dd45357a643a2493e5148a992dc6.jpeg

Have a safe trip home in these winds.  I know California will close I-10 to high profile vehicles if the wind is too high.  Glad you had a good time at Western Winter Blast and camping.  At least, until today, the weather was not too bad for the last week.

1 hour ago, durangoscots said:

Off to the shelter to dog walk while I can. And also to be sure we are properly equipped with buckets if or as needed. I will be so glad when the construction is over.

Susan

Thinking our winter was over, I didn't shout Hoodie Hoo yesterday especially since I would have been in the Wal-Mart parking lot.  People think I'm weird enough without that.  My apologies to all if my omission jinxed the weather.  Susan, I know you can't wait for the construction to be finished, and hope it is done soon.

57 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, thanks for the daily report.  Today is a work day, almost over, and it was very quiet.  Most customers don't realize that our holidays off have changed.  It was a good day.  I worked with my PCC and booked the 3/30 Eurodam sailing to the Canal.  I also rebooked two cruises that I previously cancelled for about half the price.  So we will be on the Zaandam doing the Canada New England itinerary.  I hope that everyone has a good day.

Congratulations on your three upcoming cruises and the huge savings.

Everyone in the path of all this bad weather, stay safe and warm.  I hope there is not too much snow or rain and no flooding.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@StLouisCruisers Sandi!! It is great news on your surgery! Hoping the surgeon was kind on the scar area. My mind has been on you and your niece today. You know I'm a worrier.. Gods blessings.  Joy

Thank you Joy!  We appreciate your thoughts and prayers.  Boy, my head has been killing me all afternoon.  I detected some swelling and applying the ice bag to my head makes it hurt even worse.  Hopefully this will be the worst of it.  Thanks for stopping by...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

Sorry, I don't want to dominate the topics today, but I have another doctor update for Jennifer.  There is some damage noted.

Dr came in & showed us the CT scans & the fracture. It's the part of the skull that is basically right above her right ear & behind it.  There's several fractures. Will be monitoring her for several days to make sure her BP remains stable, dizziness, etc.  She is going to have significant hearing loss in the right ear.  The goal is for her to be stable enough to get to the rehab floor, insurance permitting.

I'm sad about the significant hearing loss.  She's already suffered enough.  But Jen (her preferred nickname) is a real fighter.  She'll get through this.🤞🙏

• Like 11
  • Thanks 17

While this challenge may seem difficult for many of us, it really shouldn't be.

May be an image of text that says 'Join the 3 days challenge! NO ALCOHOL ON FEBRUARY 29, 30 and 31!'

Here's the latest survival guide to the coming storm and cold temperatures.

May be a cartoon of one or more people and text that says 'Crabby Road 1-29-12 The secret to surviving the cold is to puton enoиAb layers that ycu caй tfit through the door to go outside. gaagher ©Hallmark Licensing, Inc. Maxine.com'

And  if you're not sure you believe the weather forecast, you could try this.

May be an image of text that says 'I'M READY FOR THE REST OF THIS WEEK! HAVE MY UMBRELLA, MY FLIP FLOPS, MY MITTENS MY SUNTAN LOTION, MY WINTER COAT, " MY SUNGLASSES MY THERMALS MY ICED TEA AND MY HOT CHOCOLATE! EUNNYTHOUGHTS ANDJOKES'

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 22

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sorry, I don't want to dominate the topics today, but I have another doctor update for Jennifer.  There is some damage noted.

Dr came in & showed us the CT scans & the fracture. It's the part of the skull that is basically right above her right ear & behind it.  There's several fractures. Will be monitoring her for several days to make sure her BP remains stable, dizziness, etc.  She is going to have significant hearing loss in the right ear.  The goal is for her to be stable enough to get to the rehab floor, insurance permitting.

I'm sad about the significant hearing loss.  She's already suffered enough.  But Jen (her preferred nickname) is a real fighter.  She'll get through this.🤞🙏

Sandi, you know I cannot like this development.  The severe hearing loss is not good, but hopefully that is all the permanent damage she will suffer.

You are not dominating the Daily, but keeping your friends informed.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Don't worry about posting, we want to know and be here for you! Sorry to hear about the hearing loss, but the brain can sometimes rebound beyond expectations. I certainly hope so for Jen's sake, as she has been through so much.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You never be considered to be dominating, ever!  We care and while the update is sad, we are grateful to hear it.

Really sorry about Jennifer’s hearing loss - I sure hope she can recover BP and dizziness wise and get to rehab 🙏🏻 

Prayers for her 🙏🏻 

10 hours ago, rafinmd said:

In honor of President's day, this is from my brother's cemetery:

lincoln.JPG.7b27c5374fba3f809bce2fb65c50f128.JPG

Roy

What a beautiful inscription on his stone, Roy.

I hope the visit gave you some peace and closure as as as it was ♥️ 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Never dominating with updates!  Sorry to hear about Jen’s hearing loss, praying it will be minimal! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks!  My DB says she is out of ICU now!  Hopefully the docs will clear her for rehab in a few days.  

Unfortunately, he revealed to me something I didn't know.  He said Jen has no sight in her left eye from the skydiving accident, and that she has paralysis on her whole right side not just the arm.  She wore her arm in a sling, but was able to walk with a cane, so I can't imagine how she managed all that!   And I don't think she should ever have been going up or down stairs by herself with that many issues.  Well, too late for that.

When I said she was a strong person I meant it!!💪

• Like 8
  • Thanks 14

7 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks!  My DB says she is out of ICU now!  Hopefully the docs will clear her for rehab in a few days.  

Unfortunately, he revealed to me something I didn't know.  He said Jen has no sight in her left eye from the skydiving accident, and that she has paralysis on her whole right side not just the arm.  She wore her arm in a sling, but was able to walk with a cane, so I can't imagine how she managed all that!   And I don't think she should ever have been going up or down stairs by herself with that many issues.  Well, too late for that.

When I said she was a strong person I meant it!!💪

Sandi, I know the ice pack hurts, but it is a very good remedy for swelling and pain for next 3 or 4 days. Tylenol helped Allen and he stuck with the ice packs. He looked like he took on a famous boxer for a few days. He's had 3 MOHS surgeries now on his face and ice was a great help. Hang in there dear sister. Love you! (Prayers for Jen) xx

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, thank you for keeping us updated.  We are all concerned and wondering how she is doing, so the updates help us.  It is sad to hear about the hearing loss given how many other disabilities she has.  And, to be able to walk at all while being paralyzed on one side.  Yes, she is a feisty one!   

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1