Eating in Cabin - Anything in Addition to Room Service?

jtwind

Hi All.  Can one get anything other than what is on the room service menu if one wants to have dinner in your cabin?  Is the room service menu the same every day for dinner?  Has anyone ever brought food back to their cabin themselves?  Thanks in advance.

9 minutes ago, jtwind said:

Hi All.  Can one get anything other than what is on the room service menu if one wants to have dinner in your cabin?  Is the room service menu the same every day for dinner?  Has anyone ever brought food back to their cabin themselves?  Thanks in advance.

Room service menu does not change.  However I believe you can get what is on The Restaurant menu during restaurant hours.

17 hours ago, SDHusker said:

A bit of a guess at this time, but Viking always goes out of their way to get what you want.  They always did as described above and I hope they still do.

Does depend. We came back from a late tour. Missed dinner. On a previous pre-COVID cruise there was a bottle of wine and sandwiches waiting for us in our room when we returned from a late tour). I called Room Service to see if I could get any other type of soup (other than the chicken soup in the room service menu). We were told no. We knew about the late night Mamsen pea soup so went up there. Room service was not willing to provide anything different to our room. 

Several nights later we had a late tour and when we returned to our room, the sandwiches and sweets (no wine) was waiting for us. It just depends on who you talk with and what ship you’re on and …

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

I am looking forward to trying that soup...

If you see chilled pea soup on any menu, order it immediately.  So so good. We had it for an appetizer, then asked for another bowl in lieu of dessert. Our waiter asked (joking I suspect) if we wanted some to go and when we said yes, had two glasses delivered to our room.  We had them the next day for lunch. 

On our half Transatlantic, they advertised pea soup one day in the WC, when our waiter saw my face when I realized it was hot split pea soup rather than chilled  spring pea soup he asked what was the matter.  When I told him, he had the chef come to the table.  He wasn’t aware of the soup but said he would check the recipe book (the computer I suspect). A little while later he said to come find him the next day and voila we had it!

448B427F-C179-4049-ABD2-D0BF671A4907.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/26/2022 at 3:29 PM, Clay Clayton said:

On our half Transatlantic, they advertised pea soup one day in the WC, when our waiter saw my face when I realized it was hot split pea soup rather than chilled  spring pea soup he asked what was the matter.  When I told him, he had the chef come to the table.  He wasn’t aware of the soup but said he would check the recipe book (the computer I suspect). A little while later he said to come find him the next day and voila we had it!

ok, this may be a really stupid question, but how does one do a half trans-Atlantic?  Are you a marathon swimmer and just decided to jump 😂😂😂?

As this thread is about eating stuff in the room, we began to miss certain things on extended voyages.  Number one was probably potato chips.  You get lots of great food on Viking but just try to find a potato chip....  And the bar snacks.  The overdone 5pm snacks in the Viking Bar were mostly wasted.  All we wanted was trail mix, nuts, or especially pretzels.  We hit a grocery in Australia and bought tons of good ole junk food and turned one of the chairs in the cabin into our "pantry".  Took a bag of pretzels to the Viking Bar one evening and passed them around.  Not a one left.  The nut mix at Explorers Bar is the closest to real bar snacks.  Especially when you ask for them with no wasabi peas.  Again, amazing what you start to miss even though surrounded with great foods.🤗🍸

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

As this thread is about eating stuff in the room, we began to miss certain things on extended voyages.  Number one was probably potato chips.  You get lots of great food on Viking but just try to find a potato chip....  And the bar snacks.  The overdone 5pm snacks in the Viking Bar were mostly wasted.  All we wanted was trail mix, nuts, or especially pretzels.  We hit a grocery in Australia and bought tons of good ole junk food and turned one of the chairs in the cabin into our "pantry".  Took a bag of pretzels to the Viking Bar one evening and passed them around.  Not a one left.  The nut mix at Explorers Bar is the closest to real bar snacks.  Especially when you ask for them with no wasabi peas.  Again, amazing what you start to miss even though surrounded with great foods.🤗🍸

I have to laugh at this.  After being on the ship for nearly 3 weeks, we were in a small ‘pub’ in Madeira.  DH saw a bag of one of his major addictions on the shelf, Lay’s Salt and Vinegar chips.  He showed him to me when we got back onto the bus, and I asked him how he restrained himself from buying out their stock.  He bought ONE BAG, he never buys one bag!

• Haha 4