Trip rebate from TA Questions

Coconutguy

5 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

Rebating is actually frowned-upon by Regent.

Don't think that is my problem. It is a legal business transaction, if Regent wanted to forbid it, they could. Tauck, for example, does not permit rebates. 

1 minute ago, boblerm said:

Don't think that is my problem. It is a legal business transaction, if Regent wanted to forbid it, they could. Tauck, for example, does not permit rebates. 

I believe my TA gets around Tauck's prohibition by offering gift cards.

• Like 2

Really, everyone has a choice - both you and the TA.  If a TA offers you a rebate, that is part of doing business.  Most of the time (not always), the TA is booking an cruise that you want-Most people that cruise regular know what they want and need.  For us we book thge cruise with the TA, book are own air and hotels.  

Hey Bob, our TA is #1 seller of Tauck worldwide since Tauck began. Bet they provide a better discount on Tauck than anyone on the planet.

And they guarantee to beat any cruise offer (Regent, Silversea, et.al.,if you book with them.  Pretty straightforward.

Whenever I think my TA doesn’t provide me w the best rebate percent, I remind myself that I probably don’t cruise as often as do others, and I don’t always reserve a high stateroom category……

Oh well, I like her and think she works hard and does a (mostly) good job.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:06 PM, Kwaj girl said:

I guess I don't understand the rebate philosophy. Do you ask your physician for a rebate? 

Physicians rebate all the time. It's called participating in insurance. The rates they charge patients with insurance are much less than their regular fees.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, giustot said:

Physicians rebate all the time. It's called participating in insurance. The rates they charge patients with insurance are much less than their regular fees.

Yep, you can pay with cash when you see a MD, but you'll pay more. So the MD waits to receive less money.😅

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 9:20 PM, boblerm said:

That is your agent's policy. Each agency can have their own. 

This discussion has been doing on for years. Some people feel they deserve the kickback more than the TA and some find the concept to be cheap and tacky. Regent does allow it but they are in the later category. I am glad I am not a regular TA in this market.

14 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

This discussion has been doing on for years. Some people feel they deserve the kickback more than the TA and some find the concept to be cheap and tacky. Regent does allow it but they are in the later category. I am glad I am not a regular TA in this market.

I think that the term "kickback" may be a little misleading here as it has the connotation of something shady going on. 

If an agency's business model is such that they can offer a rebate and maintain or even increase profitability by virtue of the increased business it brings, they are free to do so, provided that they are not violating any cruise line policy. 

I'm not sure how this is cheap or tacky. 

3 minutes ago, boblerm said:

I think that the term "kickback" may be a little misleading here as it has the connotation of something shady going on. 

If an agency's business model is such that they can offer a rebate and maintain or even increase profitability by virtue of the increased business it brings, they are free to do so, provided that they are not violating any cruise line policy. 

I'm not sure how this is cheap or tacky. 

I like the word - its how it was described to me by a Regent employee. But no worries - the nice thing about living in a free society is that everyone is allowed to think whatever they want. We don't have to agree.

Just don't assume every agent makes the same and don't assume that they get to keep all of what they gross. This means that small mom and pop places can never match a big online agency...it is literally impossible. 

11 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

and don't assume that they get to keep all of what they gross

And, why would anyone assume any company keeps all the "gross"  By definition "gross" is all of the money taken in.   Sincerely doubt any company exists without expenses so NOBODY keeps their "gross".

And, don't forget rebates are simply another cost to the agency just like commissions, taxes, phone and all other agency expenses.

Also for those who don't like the term kickback or rebate, don't forget we can call the money given back a discount which most companies do.  Nothing wrong with a TA discounting the price of a cruise as long as the cruise line doesn't have a policy against it.

Edited by rallydave

6 minutes ago, rallydave said:

And, why would anyone assume any company keeps all the "gross"  By definition "gross" is all of the money taken in.   Sincerely doubt any company exists without expenses so NOBODY keeps their "gross".

And, don't forget rebates are simply another cost to the agency just like commissions, taxes, phone and all other agency expenses.

Also for those who don't like the term kickback or rebate, don't forget we can call the money given back a discount which most companies do.  Nothing wrong with a TA discounting the price of a cruise as long as the cruise line doesn't have a policy against it.

A large sole proprietorship TA who pays his customer service people an hourly wage doesn't share commission with a buying agency or the salespeople - he get the gross commission which is higher than you think. Of course they write off their expenses (including the kickback).

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Its all good - nice that we can respect each other's opinions even if they differ.

I think it's great that this discussion is even happening!  For years this board was warned that this topic wasn't allowed. Thanks for all the input.

19 minutes ago, fizzy said:

I think it's great that this discussion is even happening!  For years this board was warned that this topic wasn't allowed. Thanks for all the input.

Apologies if this topic is forbidden...I didn't see anything about it in the rules other than posting specific/detailed info about commissions and/or names of TA's...but I didn't see that here so maybe it's not over the line?

10 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

Apologies if this topic is forbidden...I didn't see anything about it in the rules other than posting specific/detailed info about commissions and/or names of TA's...but I didn't see that here so maybe it's not over the line?

This discussion is well within the guidelines.

Here are the guidelines in regard to TAs

Travel Agent Recommendations

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in content) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts may result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:33 AM, giustot said:

exactly right.  Cash pay prices are much higher than what insurance pays.  I do give a substantial discount if a patient wants to pay up front with cash though.  It still is more than what insurance reimburses though.