Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

On 4/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, canderson said:

What was weird is that after abandoning them, RCCL appeared to have signed a new contract with the company.  Strange. 

Strange. Just did a B2B cruise (13 and 20 March) on the Explorer. No tractlets issued and face masks not required. 

17 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Strange. Just did a B2B cruise (13 and 20 March) on the Explorer. No tractlets issued and face masks not required. 

And you did not do a live from thread why?!? 🥳

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2022 at 1:07 PM, canderson said:

Tracelets were a fail.  No longer in use.

Video and interviews now used.

Non-positive contact traces quarantine 2 days in own cabin.  Positives get sent to quarantine cabins.

For some venues it wouldn't seem that hard to i.d. a preliminary contact list. Those at the martini bar for example are probably buying drinks. The bartender is running their sea pass card or entering their room number. Covid positive person was there between 6:45 and 7:45pm, lets see who else had a drink during that period... 

No, that would probably catch too many people in the net. But still, they do know or could figure out where everyone is much of the time.

Stan

5 hours ago, davekathy said:

They signed a new contract - didn't say they had chosen to deploy them.  That's what was odd.  After giving up on them, why sign another contract, then not deploy? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

They signed a new contract - didn't say they had chosen to deploy them.  That's what was odd.  After giving up on them, why sign another contract, then not deploy? 

Just a clarification as you didn't say they didn't start issuing them again. Until you posted it, I never heard RC signed another production contract. 

On 4/5/2022 at 9:45 PM, GottaKnowWhen said:

Masks help prevent viral spread. Fact. Are they perfect? No, but they do help. So yes I will continue to wear a mask when in a crowded setting with many others for more than a few minutes. It is a nuisance, but as an adult person I am able to tolerate the occasional nuisance.

Stan

Stan, do you remember when this virus first started? Doctors and nurses were wearing fully body Hazmat suits and respirators. If a virus is that small and dangerous, why are we being told to only wear a paper mask? What about our eyes? The particles can easily enter our bodies through our eyes. I'm an adult as well, but at some point science and good old common sense has to take precedence. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Now that the ridiculous mask mandate for air travel has been struck down by a Federal Court the question should be will you wear one on an airplane? For me No.

This is a cruise forum; what is the relevance of sharing your airplane protocols?

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, IDL said:

This is a cruise forum; what is the relevance of sharing your airplane protocols?

Because most of us fly to get to a cruise.

And this will probably impact wearing masks in the cruise terminal.

And the question is at least tangentially relevant to the topic at hand. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Super_Tuscan said:

Stan, do you remember when this virus first started? Doctors and nurses were wearing fully body Hazmat suits and respirators. If a virus is that small and dangerous, why are we being told to only wear a paper mask? What about our eyes? The particles can easily enter our bodies through our eyes. I'm an adult as well, but at some point science and good old common sense has to take precedence. 

Big difference between a hospitalized person coughing inches from a doctor's face and eating in a restaurant and the person at the next table is sick.   Masks (paper, cloth and not worn perfectly correctly) have reduced transmission in schools that required them. Science and good old common sense. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not so fast on thinking it is a personal choice on your flight to Rome.  The judge's ruling is for the USA and domestic flights.  Certain international flights might still have mask mandates depending on the country traveled to/from the USA.   We are going to the UK in August so waiting to see how this plays out.  A couple of thoughts:  1) people can still wear masks if they want on planes and in terminals in the US, and it is their decision, and 2) you still need to be virus tested 2 days before your cruise, so might that influence decisions to wear masks anyway on long international flights? Maybe so. 

RIght!  We are flying on Friday to Munich.  On our flight from hometown on United to Chicago, no mask.  From ORD to Munich on Lufthansa, I am sure mask will be required.  On way home May 3, MUC-EWR on United, and EWR to hometown on United, I am anticipating no mask.

I’m personally upset that the mask mandate has been lifted for airports just prior to my flights Friday for a cruise on Saturday (selfishly I wish it would been extended a few more weeks). Really think it will up the likelihood of more cases on board the ship, given how transmissible BA2 is. Just feeling pretty stressed and not sure whether should cancel. (I don’t want to debate anybody about masks btw and if even mentioning them is against CC forum policy then please delete this post!)

Edited by Cruising3347
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not so fast on thinking it is a personal choice on your flight to Rome.  The judge's ruling is for the USA and domestic flights.  Certain international flights might still have mask mandates depending on the country traveled to/from the USA.   We are going to the UK in August so waiting to see how this plays out.  A couple of thoughts:  1) people can still wear masks if they want on planes and in terminals in the US, and it is their decision, and 2) you still need to be virus tested 2 days before your cruise, so might that influence decisions to wear masks anyway on long international flights? Maybe so. 

This is a super important point. The much derided mask is what may allow you to board that ship. Wearing a mask on the ship may keep you out of quarantine.

Stopping blanket testing is what will allow cruising to approach normal, and a reduction of virus being brought on board so that staffing can stabilize.

I don’t think that is going to happen soon, though, because testing protects the crew who are living in a bubble

6 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

RIght!  We are flying on Friday to Munich.  On our flight from hometown on United to Chicago, no mask.  From ORD to Munich on Lufthansa, I am sure mask will be required.  On way home May 3, MUC-EWR on United, and EWR to hometown on United, I am anticipating no mask.

I understand that there may be problems with flying to some international locations, but the Judge's order struck down the CDC and TSA masking rules and it is no longer something you can be arrested for. Enforcing the masks on international flights is not going to be possible with no repercussions available. I just hope by August the rest of Europe drops their mask mandates.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

Enforcing the masks on international flights is not going to be possible with no repercussions available. I just hope by August the rest of Europe drops their mask mandates.

The airline still has the option of denying future service to uncooperative pax should the destination country require in-flight masking.  I'd call that a 'repercussion'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrydtx said:

I understand that there may be problems with flying to some international locations, but the Judge's order struck down the CDC and TSA masking rules and it is no longer something you can be arrested for. Enforcing the masks on international flights is not going to be possible with no repercussions available. I just hope by August the rest of Europe drops their mask mandates.

@terrydtx trying to understand your point here.  Are you saying that if there is a mask requirement for your international flight to Rome you will still not wear one because you believe it cannot be enforced, or you cannot be arrested or have any legal repercussions?

2 minutes ago, rachiem said:

When we flew to Italy a couple of weeks and although the U.K. don’t insist on them the arrival country did (inbound and outbound) 

So, mask wearing may still depend on your destination 

yes that is the bottom line for international flights

Just now, TeeRick said:

@terrydtx trying to understand your point here.  Are you saying that if there is a mask requirement for your international flight to Rome you will still not wear one because you believe it cannot be enforced, or you cannot be arrested or have any legal repercussions?

No I am not saying that I will or will not wear one on our flights to Rome, I am questioning how it will be enforced  and will the airlines bother putting you on a do not fly list if you refuse? The airlines have never wanted to be the mask police and as we know a lot of flights over the last 2 years were interrupted by unruly passengers not wanting to keep masking. This will be even worse on International flights that try to enforce masks while flying. Again I hope the decisions are made by destination countries to drop their mask requirements, so that we do not have to make the decision to mask or not mask by the time we fly to Rome in August.

8 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

No I am not saying that I will or will not wear one on our flights to Rome, I am questioning how it will be enforced  and will the airlines bother putting you on a do not fly list if you refuse? The airlines have never wanted to be the mask police and as we know a lot of flights over the last 2 years were interrupted by unruly passengers not wanting to keep masking. This will be even worse on International flights that try to enforce masks while flying. Again I hope the decisions are made by destination countries to drop their mask requirements, so that we do not have to make the decision to mask or not mask by the time we fly to Rome in August.

Thanks for explaining.

• Like 1

Airlines are having enough problems staffing their planes.   With the mask mandate dropped, the crew will have more exposure to the virus.  We could expect more and more flight cancellations as the airlines scramble to find enough healthy pilots and cabin crew to safely fly the planes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rotoal said:

Airlines are having enough problems staffing their planes.   With the mask mandate dropped, the crew will have more exposure to the virus.  We could expect more and more flight cancellations as the airlines scramble to find enough healthy pilots and cabin crew to safely fly the planes.

agreed!!   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rotoal said:

Maybe, but it's a necessary step in learning how to live with the virus.

• Like 3