Will you still wear a mask?

Dreamcruise27

On 3/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, canderson said:

This odd turn of the thread got me thinking...

I'm much more comfortable wearing even an old school (heavier) vest than a mask.  When masks were required, I also often noted how much the masks I was wearing screwed with my downward peripheral vision.  

I hate it when wearing a mask and my glasses get fogged up!  Even when I fit it properly!

bigstock-Fogged-Glasses-Due-To-Condensa-375820171.webp

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I hate it when wearing a mask and my glasses get fogged up!  Even when I fit it properly!

That's me the first few times I wear a new mask, but I find after 40 or so uses the fogging goes away.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yeah, now imagine trying to range qualify through that fog!  Wouldn't be able to hit a barn at 10 yards!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2022 at 7:19 PM, Von & John said:

Since we ordered our masks, for our cruise in 2 weeks, prior to the changing of the policy...

We will take them w/ us, in case they are needed.

Our hope is cases will continue to decrease/dip & we hit the timing just right - so we will not need them!

We still wear them on medical visits/shopping trips to Anchorage.

Anchorage just dropped their mask mandate - but masks are still required in all Medical Facilities.

And - we also wore them shopping - as we do not want to catch anything b/4 we get on the ship for SUN, Warmth & Relaxation!!!

Happy Sunday - we are back from our 10 Night Cruise / 3 week Trip...
We were unsure, prior to the cruise, if we'd be wearing our masks on the cruise or not...
We took the masks we had ordered with us & wore them on the planes, in the terminals & up through boarding the ship.

Once we boarded the ship we felt comfortable, not wearing them on board.

We did wear them leaving the ship, in port, in the terminals & as required by local law.

Interestingly enough - very few locals were wearing them in any of our 5 ports...

It was a shock to return to the non-ship world & start wearing the masks again.

We tested negative on Friday & are back in our little bubble w/ our peeps.

Not sure if we are seeing a lull in C-19 cases or if it truly is becoming endemic - only time will tell.

Wishing everyone Fantabulous Cruises...

Stay Happy, Healthy & Safe!!!

Cheers  --  Von & John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where I live in PA it is very rare right now to see anybody wearing a mask.  Occasionally there might be a very elderly person or two.  But masking is almost non-existent here.  We spent a month recently near Charlston, SC.  Same observation.  Pretty rare to see anybody wearing a mask.

• Like 2

Where I live in MA, it is the same.  A few exceptions such as when I ride the subway into the city, Uber cars etc, very rare anyplace else.  I am leaving on Saturday, with son and his wife, for a two week vacation at an all-inclusive in Playa del Carmen, NO masks required, YAY!!!  On the plane still, yes of course, but to walk around freely without worry of mask police (yes I wore my mask vigilantly for a long time) just don't do it now unless it is required.  Returning to the US, one day prior, the resort will test us for COVID, assuming were are free, off we go to return.  If positive, they put you up gratis, for up to two additional weeks and they do not move you to a quarantine room, Celebrity could learn a lesson from these type of resorts.

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

Where I live in MA, it is the same.  A few exceptions such as when I ride the subway into the city, Uber cars etc, very rare anyplace else.  I am leaving on Saturday, with son and his wife, for a two week vacation at an all-inclusive in Playa del Carmen, NO masks required, YAY!!!  On the plane still, yes of course, but to walk around freely without worry of mask police (yes I wore my mask vigilantly for a long time) just don't do it now unless it is required.  Returning to the US, one day prior, the resort will test us for COVID, assuming were are free, off we go to return.  If positive, they put you up gratis, for up to two additional weeks and they do not move you to a quarantine room, Celebrity could learn a lesson from these type of resorts.

It just might be worth getting a mild case of COVID and stay for free at the resort for another two weeks!  😀    [I know, a few people here will get all offended at this comment]!

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It just might be worth getting a mild case of COVID and stay for free at the resort for another two weeks!  😀    [I know, a few people here will get all offended at this comment]!

I’m guessing testing positive for Covid there is rare. 🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

LOL, my son said the same thing

3 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Where I live in PA it is very rare right now to see anybody wearing a mask.  Occasionally there might be a very elderly person or two.  But masking is almost non-existent here.  We spent a month recently near Charlston, SC.  Same observation.  Pretty rare to see anybody wearing a mask.

Where I live in Texas masks are just as rare and have been for well over a year. We live very near one of the UT campuses and I see more masks by students and younger people in the area because so many in that demographic have refused the jab. I ONLY wear a mask when I go to my CVS drugstore that does Covid testing and there are actual sick people in there.

Edited by terrydtx

Yes I will wear one except when eating. My husband (who does not cruise) has leukemia. I also will not cruise if the testing requirement is dropped. If he gets Covid he has a one in three chance of dying. When I come back from a cruise I isolate and test before seeing him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MDTrip said:

Yes I will wear one except when eating. My husband (who does not cruise) has leukemia. I also will not cruise if the testing requirement is dropped. If he gets Covid he has a one in three chance of dying. When I come back from a cruise I isolate and test before seeing him. 

I am sorry about your predicaments and  I don't blame you for not cruising. Testing or no testing masking or no masking it seems you are both too high a risk to be on a cruise ship. Testing looks like it is coming to an end to get on cruise ships and most are already dropping masking requirements. I fully believe by April 18th masking on airplanes will be ending as it already is by some European airlines. I hope both of you are fully vaccinated too.

Edited by terrydtx

10 minutes ago, MDTrip said:

Hopefully the anti-viral drugs will become more available in the near future and this will allow your husband to resume a pre-Covid life.  Masks and testing will likely disappear in the near future and the new drugs should provide your husband with more protection if he should contract Covid.  I wish both of you the best.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MDTrip said:

Totally understand your reasoning.  All the very best for your husband and you, difficult situation for sure.  Be well!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Around me, people with masks are very noticeable simply due to the rarity of the occurrence. 

20 hours ago, TeeRick said:

And where I live in PA - I believe not too far from you - depending on the store, I see many people wearing masks, fewer than before, but still many people.   Yesterday I was in a local Costco, followed by Acme (pronounced Acamee), and I was not the only one masked.    When masks were required this particular Acme had a fairly low compliance rate, so it is refreshing to see that people are still masking up.

What I don't understand are the people who continue to wear chin masks.

• Like 1

We board the Edge in a bit over two weeks so we have been aggressively masking for well over a week.  Our mask donning coincides directly with whether a cruise is on our horizon!  The BA.2 variant of omicron is even more contagious than the original omicron version, levels have been steadily rising in wastewater samples (which is always the most accurate barometer) - so we are very concerned.  As I've stated in the past, we are not afraid of getting sick due to our vaccination/booster status, we just do not want to miss a single cruise.

1 hour ago, rotoal said:

And where I live in PA - I believe not too far from you - depending on the store, I see many people wearing masks, fewer than before, but still many people.   Yesterday I was in a local Costco, followed by Acme (pronounced Acamee), and I was not the only one masked.    When masks were required this particular Acme had a fairly low compliance rate, so it is refreshing to see that people are still masking up.

What I don't understand are the people who continue to wear chin masks.

Here it’s mixed. In our local grocery stores about 50% mask up including us. We have a large snowbird population and most are still wearing a mask. I will start going without one once our stores are a little less empty when the snowbirds travel home. 

We’re at Disneyland and yesterday I would estimate that about 25% are masking. More so in lines and inside rides. 

Cruised Apex March 26th..didn’t think of masking up pre cruise..only wore mask where the Feds required flying down, and that was when I wasn’t having a drink of some sort..which wasn’t often. 

Thankfully time in the Fed controlled terminal was short at Port Everglades…mask came off when boarding the ship, didn’t think of touching it again.  Felt great.  Nice to see much of the crew unmasked outside, hopefully inside is soon to be optional for them. 

• Like 2

I do wear a mask in public....

not because of covid concerns but to save people from viewing my ugly mug following the Blu🥶 treatment for actinic keratoses! I look like a bright red 🤬!

Did not mask while aboard the Millennium last September.

Edited by TMLAalum

Just now, TMLAalum said:

I do wear a mask in public....

not because of covid concerns but to save people from viewing my ugly mug following the Blu🥶 treatment for actinic keratoses! I look like a bright red 🤬!

Maybe you could update your profile pic?  🙂

• Haha 1