Shorts in MDR

hoss23

14 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

No shorts seem to be enforced more often in British Isles cruises I’ve been on 

Ah, the stiff British upper lip....................No sex please, We're British!

Anyone remember that pantomime?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BabySarge said:

Just finished 30 amazing days on the Emerald Princess where shorts, and not necessarily those that would fall into the category of nice ones, were frequently worn by both male and female passengers of all ages in the main dining rooms for dinner.   I personally did not feel that shorts, for either male or female, were appropriate attire in the dining rooms with linen tablecloths, napkins, waiter service, and multiple courses aka "fine dining", just as I did not feel that hats worn at the table were appropriate either. 

Princess has a dress code that they publish for the dining rooms for the evening/dinner hours and plainly stated it needs to be enforced.   If they do not wish to enforce their own dress code in all of their dining rooms, then make one dining room where the dress code would be strictly enforced, and the other dining rooms let the shorts and tank tops run rampant.

It might not hurt for people to remember that what you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick and if you dress like a slob, you will probably be treated like a slob...and yes, wearing shorts to a fine dining restaurant is dressing like a slob.

I live in Naples, Florida and see shorts all the time at fine dining establishments from The Ritz Carlton to Capital Grille. 
Guess one’s perspective on whether or not shorts makes you a slob depends on where you live. From the extremely weathy to retired CEO’s of major companies, shorts are worn. 
I hardly think a gentlemen in pressed khaki golf shorts with a button down shirt and leather loafers would be considered a slob but that’s my opinion. I tend not to judge others by what they are wearing nor does how anyone is dressed change my night in the least bit.   

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I live in Naples, Florida and see shorts all the time at fine dining establishments from The Ritz Carlton to Capital Grille. 
Guess one’s perspective on whether or not shorts makes you a slob depends on where you live. From the extremely weathy to retired CEO’s of major companies, shorts are worn. 
I hardly think a gentlemen in pressed khaki golf shorts with a button down shirt and leather loafers would be considered a slob but that’s my opinion. I tend not to judge others by what they are wearing nor does how anyone is dressed change my night in the least bit.   

Same here......we came from Hawaii and the dress is similar to what you mentioned.  Probably a number of people on here could not really afford to eat at one of the 5 plus star hotels there such as the 4 Seasons.  

There is always such a fuss made about the Princess Suggested Dress Code and then you get on board and often times anything goes.  It is a Princess dining room and nothing more....not dinner at the Waldorf or White House.  There are many ways for people to act slovenly and their dress has very very little to do with it.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 007colocruz said:

No shorts seem to be enforced more often in British Isles cruises I’ve been on 

That because you freeze your tush off on those cruises and probably would not have even packed them.....never knew what the word "damp" really meant until we did a couple of British Isle cruises......now we do!!

Edited by PrincessLuver

6 hours ago, hoss23 said:

Hi:  It’s been over 10 years since our last Princess cruise and I have a question. Are shorts for men an accepted attire in the MDR on casual nights? If they are do many men wear them, or are shorts few and far between. Recently we have cruised on Carnival and it seems close to 50% wear shorts on casual nights. Thanks for you input.

Only experience I have with it was when we sailed with brother-in-law who wore shorts to the MDR one night.  After being turned away, he vowed to not dine there - and he didn't.

Now, that was about 3 years ago, don't know if things are different now.

Now that it has been accepted that "country club shorts" are appropriate attire for Princess mdr

what about shirts?  from tank tops to long sleeve button down with collar ?

what about long pants and a tank top ?

what about shorts and a long sleeve , buttoned down, collared shirt ?

4 hours ago, GweninTX said:

On the Enchanted for 30 days. Saw shorts every night in dining room. Even saw a man in bathing suit. Doesn’t bother me in the least. It is their vacation too. Formal night was VERY informal. Maybe 3% in tuxedos and gowns. 

Proves my point that dress code is totally different in Europe. 

3 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I’ll start by saying I could care less what others are wearing. 

There are plenty of men wearing shorts into all dining venues onboard The Regal. There were many in the Crown On night 2. 

As a host, should you not be in agreement with cruise line recommendations? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

hardly think a gentlemen in pressed khaki golf shorts with a button down shirt and leather loafers would be considered a slob but that’s my opinion

Whilst I am not a fan of shorts in the MDR,  the example you quote seems totally acceptable. 

However,  to some people,  shorts mean the attire they wear when mowing the lawn, going to the beach etc. 

By having a no shorts rule,  I think Princess are trying to make it simple for people to understand what is and is not acceptable,  as some pax seem to lack the concept of etiquette. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Disembarked the Grand yesterday, a Hawaii cruise.

Nobody, man or woman, that I noticed, wore shorts in the MDR, on any night, Smart Casual or Formal.

On the first Formal night, a man ahead of us in line was turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts, ball cap and sandals. Small percentage in Black Tie. I was one. Most in sport coat, open collar, but a fair number of suit&ties. Also a good number of what is really Smart Casual.

Wear long pants. Consider a tie on formal night. If you're flying, it takes little luggage space.

• Like 1

I was on Emerald last week and sat in Club Class dining area of DaVinci’s.  On at least two nights two couples came in with both guys wearing shorts AND baseball caps.  As I was leaving I asked the head waiter (Giovanni) why the dress code wasn’t being enforced.  He said that after Covid Princess is just glad to have passengers back and weren’t going to do anything to annoy them.  I thought that was a lousy answer.

• Like 3

People really spend money to sit around and watch what others wear....maybe Princess can get together a volunteer MDR posse of these good soles and really make sure passengers are towing the line if people seem too loose with the suggested dress code.....

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, VAWCB said:

I was on Emerald last week and sat in Club Class dining area of DaVinci’s.  On at least two nights two couples came in with both guys wearing shorts AND baseball caps.  As I was leaving I asked the head waiter (Giovanni) why the dress code wasn’t being enforced.  He said that after Covid Princess is just glad to have passengers back and weren’t going to do anything to annoy them.  I thought that was a lousy answer.

Did you inform him of your opinion of his answer?

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

As a host, should you not be in agreement with cruise line recommendations? 

Not at all. I’m a member on here like everyone else. 

I also do follow the guidelines. I just personally don’t care what others do.  I’m pretty easy going, though my husband may tell you differently. Lol 

• Like 3

I was just going to bring gray travel pants. I assume that'll trick anyone enough to let me in.

I mean I was going to bring underwear too, just hoped I didn't have to mention that.

Edited by epistax

5 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

Here is the link to Princess FAQ regarding dress code for dining. https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

And here is the applicable excerpt 

1CDE7368-D079-426B-A239-6D859E5ADFAF.thumb.jpeg.6fcae63e87921738d9a8650c9557f4e0.jpeg

As stated above “shorts are not welcome in the dining rooms”. 

There are other dining options. 
My question is…why do some insist on trying to get in the dining room in shorts?

• Like 2

Looking forward to the 2023 repositioning out of Ft Lauderdale on Match 9th for 16 days. I always wear a sports jacket and tie or scarf in the dining room as I respect the line for attempting to offer a fine dining experience. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BabySarge said:

It might not hurt for people to remember that what you wear is how you present yourself to the world, especially today, when human contacts are so quick and if you dress like a slob, you will probably be treated like a slob...and yes, wearing shorts to a fine dining restaurant is dressing like a slob.

When I first read this, I saw "snob" rather than "slob".  It wasn't until the last sentence it stopped making sense!

• Like 1

I told my husband and teenage sons they had to wear pants for dinner.  They crabbed and complained about being forced to wear pants when others weren't doing it.  I really paid attention while in the main dining room on our New Year's cruise out of LA so that we could make an official call on if pants were required.  There were lots of men and women wearing shorts and T-shirts, even on formal night.  I gave up the fight after seeing that, they are now free to wear shorts on casual nights.  It makes packing for a family of 4 so much easier.

• Like 1