The Inside Cabin's Tuxedo Junction - pass it on!

12 hours ago, kazu said:

Just curious - was that World cruise of a Grand Voyage?

The reason I ask is I haven’t done one and on all my cruises the officers have been in white / black dress uniforms with a bow tie.  I didn’t think they were tuxes but I could be in error.  It wouldn’t be the first time 😉 My pic below is similar but I didn’t think of it as a tux at the time - from the Prinsendam… 

F6FFD73C-DF4A-4237-A5F4-E4CC23FF8589.thumb.png.a46191c8a5883d5c2f7a7dc1e846d4cc.png

Jacqui, I recognize Future Cruise Consultant Annette Kvamme and her DH who I believe was Chief Engineer (or was it another position)?  I also don't recall his name, do you? The ship passengers were keeping Annette very busy booking cruises while on the 2018 Grand Mediterranean and Africa cruise.  

All four of you look elegant dressed for Gala night.  Missing the Prinsendam!

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui, I recognize Future Cruise Consultant Annette Kvamme and her DH who I believe was Chief Engineer (or was it another position)?  I also don't recall his name, do you? The ship passengers were keeping Annette very busy booking cruises while on the 2018 Grand Mediterranean and Africa cruise.  

All four of you look elegant dressed for Gala night.  Missing the Prinsendam!

Yes, you are correct.  He was Chief Engineer.  A lovely couple.

His name is Erwin Leijen.

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes, you are correct.  He was Chief Engineer.  A lovely couple.

His name is Erwin Leijen.

Aahhh, yes.  That's it.  We talked during that Grand Voyage about our next cruise onboard Prinsendam and she said we would be boarding on their first anniversary, Sept. 2, 2018.  We were having our 49th anniversary four days later on Sept. 6.  I hope both are still with Holland America. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Aahhh, yes.  That's it.  We talked during that Grand Voyage about our next cruise onboard Prinsendam and she said we would be boarding on their first anniversary, Sept. 2, 2018.  We were having our 49th anniversary four days later on Sept. 6.  I hope both are still with Holland America. 

I was on the Prinsendam Sept 16-30 that year. Had a wonderful time!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

I was on the Prinsendam Sept 16-30 that year. Had a wonderful time!

That's awesome!  We were on the full Sept. 2 to 30 cruise and as always had the best time onboard.  Probably even saw you here and there.  Small world!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I believe it would be proper to call what the Captain is wearing a uniform rather than a tux.  They probably have both dress blues and dress whites,

Would the season of the year or the climate of the area in which they are cruising determine whether the Officers would wear their dress blues or dress whites?  

15 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

I believe it would be proper to call what the Captain is wearing a uniform rather than a tux.  They probably have both dress blues and dress whites,

Would the season of the year or the climate of the area in which they are cruising determine whether the Officers would wear their dress blues or dress whites?  

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am sure that is generally true, but it would be the Captain's decision.  He wouldn't want some of his officer's in whites and the others in blues on a formal occasion.  Many of the customs onboard a cruise ship are similar to Navy customs, except for when they decide to blow the ship's whistle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thought about getting the dinner dress white jacket, but having to tailor it myself would be too much. I had to shorten the sleeves and sew on the correct buttons for my blue one and do not wish to repeat that again! There are no tailors here that I would trust my uniforms to. 

Blues are always appropriate when you’re an enlisted retiree 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

I thought about getting the dinner dress white jacket, but having to tailor it myself would be too much. I had to shorten the sleeves and sew on the correct buttons for my blue one and do not wish to repeat that again! There are no tailors here that I would trust my uniforms to. 

Blues are always appropriate when you’re an enlisted retiree 😉

Some of us have a choice.  I was a temporary Chief Warrant Officer and a permanent Master Chief Petty Officer at the same time.

• Like 2

The atmosphere was great on the ship - everyone wore what they wanted and everyone fit right in and had a great time!

My advice - wear clothes that fit and you enjoy wearing - whether it's a collared shirt or a tux - go cruising and have fun!   

But - I'll be at the Junction!  

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 4

On 3/3/2022 at 8:43 PM, The-Inside-Cabin said:

In order to avoid confusion with the Environmental Group - The Three Percent Club - I am changing the name of our meeting to The Inside Cabin's "Tuxedo Junction"  - So for those in the know - the code phrase will be - "Meet me at the Junction"   Or "Are you going to the Junction"   The exact location and time of the "Junction" will be a closely guarded secret and shared with only those who are in the the Club...

Plus we now have our own theme song,   So the next meeting of "The Inside Cabin's Tuxedo Junction" will be held on the Zuiderdam at 4:30 in the Ocean Bar, March 14th - Feel free to come late - At our first meeting we all reassembled for dinner in the MDR.   I will reserve a table for 7:30

Shhhhhhh-don't tell anyone - it's a secret!

Hope to see other Tuxedo Junctions appear throughout the fleet!

Here is the official Theme Song - which is required to be played to kick off each meeting

Thanks, Inside, for this great rendition of Tuxedo Junction!!!  Haven't heard it in YEARS.

You all must be at your meeting right now, so I'll go make my martini and pretend to be right there with all of you.

DONNA

Edited by GeorgesGal
added text

It would be great to see this thread continue, even after you've returned home from your cruise, with others posting pics from their Tuxedo Junction nights.  I plan on doing so, and our cruise isn't until November!

• Like 1

The gentleman in the white dinner jacket, black shirt, white tie:  WOW!  I have wanted a white dinner jacket for years.  But, the lapels and front of the jacket wouldn't be free of stains for any longer than the first night knowing me.  

Excellent photos and thanks for posting them!