When do boarding groups open up on the app?

rsail203

On other cruise lines recently, boarding times opened up about 45 days before the cruise. We're cruising on the Island Princess on May 11th out of Las Angeles.

When can we expect the assigned boarding times to be available on the app? Thank you in advance for the info.

We are on the April 10th sailing of Discovery Princess and Boarding Groups just opened up today - 38 days out.  Our last cruise in Nov. 2021 opened up 45 days out.  So - no rhyme or reason I guess.

We are sailing on the Majestic Princess on April 02 and still can't select boarding times.

It says "Sorry! Arrival groups will be available closer to the start of your journey."

Green Laned for items 1,2,3, and 5. Just not 4. The boarding section.

Since this is our first Princess Sailing, we are wondering if we need to do anything else. Or is Princess just running behind with this ship and process.

I thought I read 30 days out was the magic number.

Anyways, I did just post the same question on our Roll Call but it seems a little slow.

2 hours ago, rad798 said:

We are sailing on the Majestic Princess on April 02 and still can't select boarding times.

It says "Sorry! Arrival groups will be available closer to the start of your journey."

Since this is our first Princess Sailing, we are wondering if we need to do anything else. Or is Princess just running behind with this ship and process.

Anyways, I did just post the same question on our Roll Call but it seems a little slow.

Yes, we're on the 4/2 sailing of Majestic and are getting the same message when trying to select a boarding group.

The only thing for us left to complete is under item #5, the health questionnaire, which can't be completed until 14 days before sailing.

There is no policy regarding arrival/boarding groups. Days vary from 90+ to less than 30.  Even the same ship will have different number of days. I am making these observations for ships ported out of San Pedro/Los Angeles.

it is very frustrating for passengers to have to check daily.  Often a roll call member will happen across a time and announce it to all.  

in my opinion, Princess needs to scrap the Medallion Class app as a means to registering for a cruise.  They should use the web based personalized; then send you a QR code. But what do I know? !

The app seems to function well once on the ship (Journey View).  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DiRonT said:

We are on the April 10th sailing of Discovery Princess and Boarding Groups just opened up today - 38 days out.  Our last cruise in Nov. 2021 opened up 45 days out.  So - no rhyme or reason I guess.

Ours for Discovery also opened today for the 3/27 cruise (24 days) as did the 4/3 cruise (31 days). Last week in a Chat they stated 35-40 days in advance.

Did you read that Discovery has been moved from B46 to B50…a warehouse with a tent. We’re still waiting for a notification about the procedure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We’re on Sky 28th March and at this moment still no arrival time. Spoke to Princess yesterday and was told to just keep checking as at the moment they don’t know when we will be able to choose!

16 minutes ago, PAMJP said:

We’re on Sky 28th March and at this moment still no arrival time. Spoke to Princess yesterday and was told to just keep checking as at the moment they don’t know when we will be able to choose!

Thanks, I am on this cruise too.

1 hour ago, PAMJP said:

On same cruise. Not really fussed about arrival times. If you are green lane they will  assign a time for you if none entered. I am more interested in what the protocols for U.K. sailings will be. 24 days to go and nothing! 

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Ours for Discovery also opened today for the 3/27 cruise (24 days) as did the 4/3 cruise (31 days). Last week in a Chat they stated 35-40 days in advance.

Did you read that Discovery has been moved from B46 to B50…a warehouse with a tent. We’re still waiting for a notification about the procedure.

Is that considered an improvement to the situation?

So new to Princess, and was allowed to choose arrival group and selected Group A (11:00-11:30), is this a good time?  Not sure how Princess boarding procedures actually work.  Anyone have any insight to a newbie?  Each cruise line seems to have their own procedures and just wondering how Princess works.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

So new to Princess, and was allowed to choose arrival group and selected Group A (11:00-11:30), is this a good time?  Not sure how Princess boarding procedures actually work.  Anyone have any insight to a newbie?  Each cruise line seems to have their own procedures and just wondering how Princess works.  Thanks!

That's normally the group I am aim for as I want to be on the ship as soon as possible (make the most of my annual leave!) as it's the earliest arrival time. Rooms may not be available/luggage won't be in the room when you first step on board, but you can explore and make reservations for things before the bulk of people arrive. 

Edited by gillynomad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DiRonT said:

Thanks I just went on and signed up for 1st  group.   Does anyone know how Elite status works?  Is that the  early group like I signed up for or will they pull the Elite group out before group 1?  

7 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Yes, I did see that - Berth 50 just does not seem a logical location for loading passengers, luggage or food and supplies.  I could understand Berth 54 or 55 where there is much more space to bring in trucks and buses as well as a building to use as a terminal.  This will be interesting.  Although we are I. The first boarding group, I am wondering if I wouldn't rather be in the latest group.  Let the chaos, pushing and shoving get out of the way.  

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

Not sure how Princess boarding procedures actually work.  Anyone have any insight to a newbie?  Each cruise line seems to have their own procedures and just wondering how Princess works.  Thanks!

It's changed a little since all ships now have the Medallion.

You'll arrive for your boarding time (reports are that boarding times a pretty much ignored - this could change as ships start sailing full). Show your medallion & paperwork (passport, vaccine proof, etc), go through security and proceed to the waiting area. You'll be directed to wait in the main area (suites, elite, platinum have separate sections). Once boarding is started, you basically just walk on the ship.

If boarding has started when you arrive you don't go to the waiting area, just walk on after security/paperwork, etc.

PS: if they don't like your security photo, it will be retaken.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sandyoftheseas said:

Thanks I just went on and signed up for 1st  group.   Does anyone know how Elite status works?  Is that the  early group like I signed up for or will they pull the Elite group out before group 1?  

We are elite and suite.  Last November when we were on the Majestic we arrived about 10:30 and got in line with everyone else.  A member of the staff was walking along the line and she suddenly asked us to step out of line and she walked us up to the front.  It was uncomfortable listening to the comments from others in line.  I am guessing she found us by our medallions.

12 hours ago, rad798 said:

Same sailing - same message.  I guess you just keep checking back.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

It's changed a little since all ships now have the Medallion.

You'll arrive for your boarding time (reports are that boarding times a pretty much ignored - this could change as ships start sailing full). Show your medallion & paperwork (passport, vaccine proof, etc), go through security and proceed to the waiting area. You'll be directed to wait in the main area (suites, elite, platinum have separate sections). Once boarding is started, you basically just walk on the ship.

If boarding has started when you arrive you don't go to the waiting area, just walk on after security/paperwork, etc.

PS: if they don't like your security photo, it will be retaken.

So since we are new to Princess and have no status (lol), and only booked a mini-suite (which doesn't count for anything) I'm wondering if we will just arrive early to sit and wait for all the others to actually board the ship who do have status or higher cabin categories.  I know that with Carnival we board earlier because of our status with them regardless of arrival times.  Is it basically the same with Princess?

50 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

So since we are new to Princess and have no status (lol), and only booked a mini-suite (which doesn't count for anything) I'm wondering if we will just arrive early to sit and wait for all the others to actually board the ship who do have status or higher cabin categories.  I know that with Carnival we board earlier because of our status with them regardless of arrival times.  Is it basically the same with Princess?

Someone on CC can answer your question better than I. I'm Elite, but haven't taken a cruise since the restart (next up is in April). You could also read some of the Live Froms, the answer may be there.