Question to Shareholders

TravelLizzy

Looking for information concerning benefits to being a cruise shareholder?  Besides the $$ credit per stateroom are there other benefits?  Especially once you embark on the cruise.  My husband and I are Elite status on Princess (Carnival parent co) and are considering purchasing shares however we are not reading any additional benefits to becoming shareholders - any knowledgeable cruisers on this subject.  Thank you

Along with the OBC, there used to be (& hopefully will be again) quarterly dididends. The dividends weren't a lot of $$, but we kept track of OBC + dividends collected and received our initial purchase price after about 4 years of cruising. FYI - we did cruise a lot in those 4 years, so YMMV.

As noted above, it's a great time to buy. We paid $34/share, today it's $17 and was as low as $8 during the pause.

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Along with the OBC, there used to be (& hopefully will be again) quarterly dididends. The dividends weren't a lot of $$, but we kept track of OBC + dividends collected and received our initial purchase price after about 4 years of cruising. FYI - we did cruise a lot in those 4 years, so YMMV.

As noted above, it's a great time to buy. We paid $34/share, today it's $17 and was as low as $8 during the pause.

The current Carnival dividend yield is 4.7%. Pretty good considering other investments.

1 hour ago, crawford said:

The current Carnival dividend yield is 4.7%. Pretty good considering other investments.

They suspended their divided almost two years ago.  I personally do not see them paying a dividend for at least the next few years.  Way to much debt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We bought ( high ) at $39.50 but recouped the purchase price with dividends and OBC over several years. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, franktown said:

They suspended their divided almost two years ago.  I personally do not see them paying a dividend for at least the next few years.  Way to much debt.

100% correct. Looked up the current dividend and that is what the website stated. Oh well, just got $100 OBC last month anyway. I'll hang onto my stock regardless. Thanks.

Edited by crawford
  • Like 1

I bought at $7.90, just missed the bottom so $790.00 for my 100 shares. After our April 27 cruise, I will have received $750 in credit this year. And the stock is nearly 2 1/2 times higher. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

WOW!!! Lucky you.

If my memory does not fail me, I seem to remember Carnival had just gone public a couple of years or so earlier and cruising still was not the big deal it is now, or was until Covid19 threw a wrench in the works. It was the time before internet stock trades and the like. At that time it was purely an investment strategy although tbh, I have been cruising since 1971.

I will say this: Cruising HAS changed, that's for sure!!!

Edited by ISwing
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2022 at 3:26 AM, ISpring said:

Purchased my stock in the 90s....$1.05 each!

Own 1805 share now.

Bought ours before the P&O Princess merger with Carnival and very pleased we did.

I recall buying ANOTHER 100 shares when it was very low.  I figured some day, my kids/grandkids would be sailing and I could gift them 100 shares.  

The federal government just "increased" rates.  But I doubt it will make up for having monies sitting in a savings account.  Same philosophy for buying FCDs.  Better than money in the bank.