"You must download the Royal Caribbean app prior to boarding"

This is my first RCI cruise.  It is in late March.  I got a notice today that I may begin my check in process. I clicked the link (I'm on a laptop) and got a huge notice that informed me that I have to d/l the app before boarding.  What gives? Since when does a cruise line force you to download their app before boarding?  I'm not against the app I just don't like being required to get it just to board.

• Haha 1

Just now, kevingastreich said:

This is my first RCI cruise.  It is in late March.  I got a notice today that I may begin my check in process. I clicked the link (I'm on a laptop) and got a huge notice that informed me that I have to d/l the app before boarding.  What gives? Since when does a cruise line force you to download their app before boarding?  I'm not against the app I just don't like being required to get it just to board.

You do not have to download the app. RC is not forcing you to download the app. 

• Like 3

Nope you don't need to do that. Now will it make your cruising experience easier. YES. But not required.

In May We cruised Freedom 4 day and did not even attempt to use a phone, since we just woke up and went wherever the mood took us.  I had printed out everything i needed for check-in.

But for our NYE cruise on Anthem Yes I used APP to book shows, restaurants and check dailies since it was a 9 day and things were changing daily.

Up to you on how you are planning on enjoying your trip!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kevingastreich said:

Thanks.  I like to unplug when I cruise.

Well, to be fair, when using the app, you are in airplane mode and the only thing you're using is the app.  We used the app for our Nov/Dec b2b on Harmony and found it very useful.  

While not necessary, especially on the smaller ships (if you’re lucky to score a paper Cruise Compass), on the Oasis and Quantum class ships it serves as a reservation tool as well - although you can dial a number and do reservations over the phone or go in person. It’s more convenient if you have the App as well as the now coveted paper cruise compass. 

On 3/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, kevingastreich said:

If you want to use the app, then it needs to be downloaded before you board-

5 minutes ago, ngrund said:

If you want to use the app, then it needs to be downloaded before you board-

Sorry...No it doesn't you can download it once on the ship...There was a kiosk and staff offering help to those needing it to download the app once onboard. Off Navigator in January and this was what we personally experienced.

You can opt to not download or use the app at all...it's a choice !!!

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whatever you don't download, they will do it at the port, including pictures. By the way, the first thing I do when I get into our cabin is put my keys, wallet and phone in the safe. Whiile  I hear what a wonderful iinstrament it is, i don't want to carry my phone around.

I plan on downloading the app, although I'm not big on using my phone on the cruise.  But...I have only sailed Liberty as the largest ship & will be going on Oasis soon.  I noticed the comments about the coveted cruise compass.  On the larger ships, and now with the app, do we not get the compass left in our cabin each night like we have in the past?

3 hours ago, Din321 said:

I plan on downloading the app, although I'm not big on using my phone on the cruise.  But...I have only sailed Liberty as the largest ship & will be going on Oasis soon.  I noticed the comments about the coveted cruise compass.  On the larger ships, and now with the app, do we not get the compass left in our cabin each night like we have in the past?

That seems to vary right now....but hopefully RCI is listening to the comments about this very unpopular possible decision.

Its not required,  but be prepared for the long line at check in for the people that didnt use it for pre check in.  Its very useful and you can pay a small fee to be able to message onboard if you dont have internet.  See your bill,  events,  menus.

You will be in the dark at times without it.

On 3/4/2022 at 3:09 PM, Cigar King said:

So don't get it.  Lot's of people don't use the app.  That being said, I find it's pretty helpful, and my wife, who also didn't want to put it on her phone, tends to borrow mine to look things up.

Enjoy your cruise.

Careful, man .. you know she's lookin around on ya phone while she has it! 😉😉 

On 3/4/2022 at 3:07 PM, kevingastreich said:

Just ignore the message as I do.😁

• Like 1