Good morning, some questions...

MisterMatthew

Hello everyone.  And, good morning from Las Vegas, NV.  I am relaxing a bit before I start another day of Uber driving.  Okay, I joined the board yesterday -- and, am already feeling the love!  I do have several questions.  Please forgive me if these have been asked before.  I am doing my best to read previous posts!

Sailing:

Solo Cruiser

Zuiderdam

4/3/2022 to 4/13/2022

San Diego to San Diego  (The cruise that goes to 5 ports in Mexico).

1)  I am flying into San Diego the day of the cruise.  Ship sails at 5pm.  I arrive (assuming the aircraft is on time) at 9:20AM.  From what I am told, the ship's port is only 1 mile from the airport.  A boarding time has not been assigned to me.  Is there a "likely" boarding window?  1pm, 2pm, 3pm, etc?  Or, am I way way off?  Also, how early can I bring my suitcase to the terminal & get rid of it ---- meaning, even if I'm not boarding for a couple of hours, can I give HAL my suitcase?

2)  I will bring my Vaccination card -- that lists the 1st and 2nd dosages.  I will bring my birth certificate.  I will not have a visa.  I will not have a passport.  I've been "told" that it is a closed loop cruise, so they are NOT needed.  I will have my photo identification.  Am I missing add'l things?

3)  What do you folks suggest for the FIRST things to get done once I board?  Muster?  Get show reservations?  I have no idea what shows will be on the ship.  I heard there is some cooking "thing" that looks neat.  America's Test Kitchen?  Or demonstration? 

4)  I am a solo cruiser.  And, in addition, have never been on a ship before.  But, I am excited!!  The MDR, if I do nothing... will they put me at a table with other persons?  Private table?  I've heard that  you can be placed with other SOLO cruisers.  Just not sure, how it all works.  Have you folks cruised solo?

5)  Beverages.  I have not purchased anything like that (yet).  Plus, in the Navigator App I do not see anywhere to choose a package.  I like water, soda, juices, etc.  Once in a while I will have a drink with booze.  (The wheels in my head are really turning now.  Oh boy!!)  Okay, I would like to know... is there a bar that will make a mojito?  I do like a good mojito!

6)  I'm still not sure about excursions.  I, kind of, like the idea of exploring a port & taking in the spots for some great food.  I'm fine with FINE food.  And, I am fine with street tacos.  Lol.  Yep, I've been doing some research on that.  Well, some research!

Okay, I'm sorry if I have typed too much.  I kindly ask for any and all feedback you have.  Again, thank you in advance!

-----Matthew

• Like 1

Good morning, Matthew, and welcome to Cruise Critic, and to cruising! 

One of the first things you need to concern yourself with is what is necessary to board: you will have to have negative covid test results taken within two days of boarding. It can be either an antigen or PCR test, but you MUST be able to prove you are negative. This is in addition to the proof of vaccination. (at least as of now). 

One of the first things I do after boarding, is go to my cabin and start to unpack. First the carry-ons are unpacked and put away. 
If the checked bag hasn't arrived by then, I head to lunch, confirm specialty dining reservations, and make salon appointments. I also stop at the Shore Excursion Desk to confirm my selections are appropriate for me. 
Speaking of dining in the main dining room---when you booked, you should have been asked if you want fixed seating or open, and if in fixed, what size table you want to be at. If at open seating, then when you enter you can ask for whatever size table you prefer. 
As a solo myself, I prefer fixed seating as I get to know the people much better. 
Then it is back to the cabin to see if the suitcase has arrived (by then, usually it is there). I want to be unpacked and settled in quickly, because then I can start my cruise! 

I'm sure others will be along to answer more of your questions. 
Have a great time, both on the cruise and here! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  I don't want to throw cold water on your plans but do want to caution you on a couple of things.  If you're cruising with a birth certificate it must be an OFFICIAL one.  Something like a hospital certificate will not do.  If in doubt about the status of your birth certificate I'd suggest checking with your travel agent or with HAL With April 3 you probably have time to get a better birth certificate if it is needed but hopefully yours is ok.  If you decide you like cruising I'll strongly recommend getting a passport.

At this time you probably cannot change anything but try to avoid flying in the day of the cruise.  Things will probably be ok, especially since Las Vegas should be a safe departure but I've had some close calls and will no longer fly in the day of the cruise.  If you must you must.

I also am a solo and prefer to dine with others and that's normally what would happen.  Just be aware that it may not be possible if covid protocols get in the way; if so just roll with the punches and have a great cruise.

Have a wonderful time.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As already stated, you should really have a passport (too late I know).  If you get stuck in Mexico or other country, you will have a hard time getting home without one.  Stuff happens!

Normally I would also recommend flying in the day before to be safe, but given you are flying from LV you likely will be fine.  I hope your airline has VERY frequent flights between LV and SD, so if yours is an issue you can quickly get on another one (if not already full).  To be safe, take a very early flight out.  When you get to SD, go right to the pier and see about checking in early.  If too early, there are plenty of places neaby to grab a bite/drink and wait.  HAL will take your bags starting about 10 am, perhaps a bit earlier.

Once onboard, drop your stuff off in your cabin (yes it will be ready for you on HAL) and go make your reservations for shore excursions, dining in the specialty places, spa services, etc.  There are no show reservations on HAL - first come first served at show time.

Since you are on the Z, the only real specialty dining option is the Pinnacle.  A bit pricey, but if you are a beef eater worth it.  The Canaletto is fine, but nothing special IMO.  If you are going to the Pinnacle, I recommend going the first day, as the main dining room can be a zoo that first evening.

For lunch on the first day I like either the main dining room (yes it is open but only limited hours and service is a bit slow) or the Dive Inn (by the pool) for great hamburgers and Nathans hot dogs.  Everyone seems to go to the Lido buffet for lunch and it can be quite busy.

Finally, please ask any questions you have here on CC - we love to be assistance.

DaveOKC

• Like 1

April third will be an interesting day for the Port of San Diego.

It will be the very first time that 3 ships will be ending a voyage and starting another.

The Zuiderdam will be at B Street along with Disney Wonder.  The Koningsdam will berth at Broadway.

You can arrive any time that you want, but don't expect to drop off luggage before 11 am.

From the airport, you can take the city bus Route #992 directly to the pier for $2.50.  The bus stop is just to the north of the pier next to the Maritime Museum and the "Star of India" sailing ship.  

David

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

April third will be an interesting day for the Port of San Diego.

It will be the very first time that 3 ships will be ending a voyage and starting another.

The Zuiderdam will be at B Street along with Disney Wonder.  The Koningsdam will berth at Broadway.

I hear you.. We're on the Zuiderdam sailing just after this one (April 13th) with a similar situation, and I'm not looking forward to it. Zuiderdam, Disney Wonder and Ruby Princess will all be departing from SD that afternoon. Also there will be 3 ships there when we return on the 22nd. I think it will be a zoo at the cruise port both departing and returning.

2 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Hello everyone.  And, good morning from Las Vegas, NV.  I am relaxing a bit before I start another day of Uber driving.  Okay, I joined the board yesterday -- and, am already feeling the love!  I do have several questions.  Please forgive me if these have been asked before.  I am doing my best to read previous posts!

Sailing:

Solo Cruiser

Zuiderdam

4/3/2022 to 4/13/2022

San Diego to San Diego  (The cruise that goes to 5 ports in Mexico).

1)  I am flying into San Diego the day of the cruise.  Ship sails at 5pm.  I arrive (assuming the aircraft is on time) at 9:20AM.  From what I am told, the ship's port is only 1 mile from the airport.  A boarding time has not been assigned to me.  Is there a "likely" boarding window?  1pm, 2pm, 3pm, etc?  Or, am I way way off?  Also, how early can I bring my suitcase to the terminal & get rid of it ---- meaning, even if I'm not boarding for a couple of hours, can I give HAL my suitcase?

2)  I will bring my Vaccination card -- that lists the 1st and 2nd dosages.  I will bring my birth certificate.  I will not have a visa.  I will not have a passport.  I've been "told" that it is a closed loop cruise, so they are NOT needed.  I will have my photo identification.  Am I missing add'l things?

3)  What do you folks suggest for the FIRST things to get done once I board?  Muster?  Get show reservations?  I have no idea what shows will be on the ship.  I heard there is some cooking "thing" that looks neat.  America's Test Kitchen?  Or demonstration? 

4)  I am a solo cruiser.  And, in addition, have never been on a ship before.  But, I am excited!!  The MDR, if I do nothing... will they put me at a table with other persons?  Private table?  I've heard that  you can be placed with other SOLO cruisers.  Just not sure, how it all works.  Have you folks cruised solo?

5)  Beverages.  I have not purchased anything like that (yet).  Plus, in the Navigator App I do not see anywhere to choose a package.  I like water, soda, juices, etc.  Once in a while I will have a drink with booze.  (The wheels in my head are really turning now.  Oh boy!!)  Okay, I would like to know... is there a bar that will make a mojito?  I do like a good mojito!

6)  I'm still not sure about excursions.  I, kind of, like the idea of exploring a port & taking in the spots for some great food.  I'm fine with FINE food.  And, I am fine with street tacos.  Lol.  Yep, I've been doing some research on that.  Well, some research!

Okay, I'm sorry if I have typed too much.  I kindly ask for any and all feedback you have.  Again, thank you in advance!

-----Matthew

Hi Matthew & welcome! 

To answer your questions 

1) I am personally not comfortable flying in same day, but many people do. Las Vegas is close and it sounds like you will be there early. The airport is very close, a 10 to 15 minute drive. Unfortunately you cannot guess the boarding window. It gets assigned and reassigned multiple times between booking and departure with the final update at 72 hours before departure. For San Diego they are pretty consistent with 1PM as the first time with times assigned every 20 minutes until 3 or 4 (250 people per group). I would recommend a HAL transfer from the airport. They seem to prioritize boarding for guests who book flights and/or transfers. You do not need to buy flights from them to get the transfer and I believe it is $19. Additionally once you hand over your luggage you will not see it again (pro tip - bring your HAL luggage tags and a mini stapler or a luggage tag that will fit them to attach at the airport). If you go on your own I would guess they will take your luggage as early as 11 or 12 - see David's comments above. It really depends on how the disembarkation process from the last cruise went. San Diego is notorious for delayed disembarkation due to the customs folks there (the port & cruise staff are great but have little control over the process). If you get there early they may let you check in but not board until your group is called. 

2) I think this should be fine but I always travel with a passport so I can't really comment on this. Assuming you are a US Citizen a visa should not be required. You also do not need a tourist card. 

3) I like to drop off my stuff in my cabin first and pick up the daily program. Rooms are always ready on HAL when you board which is great. On my last cruise muster drills were not available until 1 or 130 so check your program for what time they start. If you need to make any dining reservations, spa appointments, etc. you can do this also if you haven't done it pre-cruise. Our first day tradition is to go to the lido for a nice leisurely lunch and when I sail with family we always bring a deck of cards to play. I also like to take a moment to explore the ship, though as I am now quite familiar with the HAL ships so it is more of a walk than an exploration. 

4) I did my first solo cruise in November and my second one is tomorrow. I absolutely loved it. So wonderful to just do exactly what you want to do when you want to do it without anyone else's opinions or needs to consider. I would recommend open dining and you can just tell them when you arrive if you want to sit with other people or not. I usually prefer not because I am an introvert and hate small talk. But occasionally I find someone I enjoy and we will dine together. Let the host know if you want to dine solo or with other solos and they should be able to accommodate. Keep an eye out for the singles & solos lunches where they will have you in the MDR with a big table with other people. HAL has a very laid back and relaxed vibe and I have found just about everyone to be extremely friendly. I can only think of one or two exceptions in all of the cruises I have done with them. If you go to specialty dining you will be alone. That being said one day at lunch there were three tables of solos together in the Pinnacle Grill and we all got to talking. We made a reservation to share a table the next day and when we got there the hostess asked if we would mind taking in another solo who wanted to dine but they didn't have space. The crew are excellent and I definitely felt extra taken care of as a solo. 

5) All of the bars can make pretty much any of the standard drinks plus they will have a specialty cocktail menu. Drink packages are available for purchase through the website after logging in and in theory in the navigator app. They include up to 15 drinks a day. Several different packages to choose from depending on what you want to do, or you can just pay as you go. 

6) If i am getting off I usually do the ship excursions. But there is no reason you can't just explore on your own. Just make sure you are back to the ship on time! They will not wait for you if you are touring independently. 

• Like 3

@MisterMatthew, I think most of your questions have been answered by the helpful people on this board.  I am a mostly solo cruiser and think it's a great way for solos to travel.  You can be by yourself if you want to and you can be with others if that's what suits you at the moment.  Lately I've been requesting open seating and then ask to be seated with others when I show up at the dining room.  Sometimes if it's been a long day I may ask for a table by myself.  I find this works best if I show up later to dine rather than at prime times. 

In Mexico, if you decide to go off on your own, I'd recommend not straying far from the port/tourist areas. 

And most importantly, enjoy your first cruise!

• Like 3

I have traveled solo and enjoyed being seated with others at the anytime dining.  You can ask to be at a table for 'no more than 6' etc.

No need to take a stapler for the luggage tags.  Print out the tags, fold them as instructed, using packing tape if you want to make them a little sturdier, just cover the tag with the tape. Fold it in half and use a hole punch to make holes at each end, and then use a zip tie to attach it to your luggage.  After you get to San Diego. Then you can just cut it off later.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

I suggest you drop off your carry-on and then go directly to your Muster Station to check in.  The number is on your cabin key.  You'll see lots of Carnival employees standing around with clip boards and they can help direct you where you need to go.  You must check in before 3:45 or they will start calling your name over the public address system.  You can watch the Safety at Sea video in your cabin later.

You should have 2 Gala nights usually on sea nights.  The menu in the MDR those nights include higher end items like lobster, prime rib, duck, beef tenderloin, etc.  Dress is pretty casual but jeans, tee shirts and shorts are frowned upon.  You may see on the menu "Market Fish" as an entree.  Basically it is the fish of the day.  Ask your server.  Some of the best swordfish we've ever had was on Holland.

The hot tubs are usually pretty crowded.  I suggest you go on port days before noon while others are on shore.

There no longer is America's Test Kitchen.  I attended 2 free cooking presentation on our 7 day Mexican cruise on the Koningsdam.  Both were on sea days .  It was called the Port to Table Cooking Show and both featured Mexican cuisine.  Enjoyed it a lot.

If they have "Planet Earth II" don't miss it.  It is a fantastic free show, no reservations so get a seat early. Same is true with the comedians.  First come, first seats.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Thanks 1

Good information from those who have responded. We travel on a lot of different lines and a lot of different ships - and although some are similar, most are different in some way. After dropping off luggage, doing the muster drill and grabbing something to eat, we spend a couple of hours just exploring the ship and reading our "program" of what is happening on the ship that day and evening. Keep in mind that with people still arriving and luggage deliveries some of the elevators are busy or blocked off.

If you like music there are a number of venues that have a wide assortment of music each night.

2 hours ago, regnig said:

Please oh please be careful eating the food in Mexico particularly the Street Food.  This darn Covid has many just eating on the ship.

You can catch Covid from a taco??? 🌮  News to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, regnig said:

Please oh please be careful eating the food in Mexico particularly the Street Food.  This darn Covid has many just eating on the ship.

I have been to Mexico several times post-covid, and they are more careful there with precautions than in Los Angeles.  It's not really a scary third-world place crawling with diseases drug dealers.  🤣

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

You may want to consider buying travel insurance..it isn't as expensive as you might think, especially traveling solo.  This insurance would be doubly important if you, without a passport, got sick or injured enough to have to be disembarked at one of the enroute ports.  With no passport, you cannot fly so you would potentially be stuck there until you could arrange an expedited passport through an embassy or consulate.  Not trying to scare you but that's the risk of traveling without a passport.  Even if you had a passport, travel insurance is still a good idea especially with COVID being out there.  So without a passport, a recommendation might be to be careful in considering which shore excursions or onboard activities you choose...maybe skip ones that are more physically (or gastronomically) risky.

As others have said, you need a medically monitored negative COVID test within 2 days of sailing.  An over-the-counter non-monitored home test will not be accepted.  Besides doing a rapid test at a pharmacy or medical facility, another option is the monitored Abbott Binax Now AG home tests sold through Emed or Optum.  They are monitored through your phone or computer camera and are accepted by the cruise lines.

• Thanks 2

Since you are flying in day of the cruise check with Holland’s flight ease.  Their rates are usually as good as the airline, if not better, and they have a guarantee.    Ditto what the others said about first feathering your nest then dining.  I try to do most of my arrangements prior to the cruise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MisterMatthew said:

Hello everyone.  I do have several questions.  Please forgive me if these have been asked before.  I am doing my best to read previous posts!

Please, if you haven't already, read Holland America's "Know Before You Go" on their website. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq/know-before-you-go.html

How you find it: 

1. Go to HAL website

2, Click on Already Booked

3. Click on  What to Know Before You Go

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to CC, Matthew!  I've received so much helpful suggestions and advice on these forums.  Ask away!

Another caution on flying in.  As others have said, lots can happen these days.  We live in Phoenix and have sailed from San Diego.  Years ago we did fly in early morning of the day our cruise sailed and had no problems.  A caution I didn't see in previous responses is that if a flight is cancelled, everyone is going to try and get on the "next flight".  With fewer flights available, seats may be full.  Phoenix has 2 airlines that used to have regular shuttle service (almost every hour on the hour).  Those volumes of flights aren't there anymore. Since that time, we always arrive the day ahead (and 2 or more days if we are on an international cruise).

Best of luck to you.  You will love cruising! 🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

I hear you.. We're on the Zuiderdam sailing just after this one (April 13th) with a similar situation, and I'm not looking forward to it. Zuiderdam, Disney Wonder and Ruby Princess will all be departing from SD that afternoon. Also there will be 3 ships there when we return on the 22nd. I think it will be a zoo at the cruise port both departing and returning.

We’re on the same cruise! We are local so will either walk to the terminal or take an Uber depending on how much luggage we bring.

There should be a solos meet up the first night. Check the When and Where (daily program). 
I LOVED the camel excursion in Cabo San Lucas. I would do it again 🙂

In Mazatlan I like to walk the blue line to the church, maybe do some shopping across the street, and then take a pulmonia back to the ship. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, regnig said:

Mexican street food is awesome! 😋

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1