Liberty of the Seas

I just booked LOS out of Cape Liberty 7/23. How do you feel about the ship. I personally love freedom class ships.But  I've been watching reviews online and most of them seems to say, she needs a  dry dock. Is she run down? Is RCI going to do a dry dock or Amp her.  I'm fine with a drink in my hand and a deck chair, but  I'm traveling with 2 teens that need the bells and whistles.  Thanks

• Like 2

I have 2 teen boys. We live in Houston area and have sailed her several times most recently Thanksgiving 2021. No complaints from them being bored. If I had to grade the ship I’d give her a B - been on better but been on far worse. 

My first thought on boarding liberty was she looked tired ....then I moved on and had a good time. Some buttons on elevators continually broken was annoying. A few things that could be better but a nice cruise overall. I had a lot of fun. I've done her 3 times since dec. 

Ok a few other things annoying ..tv in cabin doesnt get news but maybe 2 hours in 7 days garbled. Do all the rcl ships not get any outside news stations?

The big tv at the pool is broken and some forums are tired of people asking when it will get fixed .. maybe not until dry dock no one knows. No movies outside by the pool. 

Elevators seem to have too much vibration on windy days. Have to remember which side of the deck couldnt push up button deck 9 aft only one side worked, deck 5 button been broke off and on. 

I'd like to hear the news once in a while on tv. Customer service says well it sometimes works in ports, the satellite is turned wrong.

• Like 1

I've never left a ship after a cruise and thought "man she needs some work done"

These ships get used 24/7/365. They can't always be brand new. That doesn't mean the crews don't take great pride in maintenance (though surely things get missed)

A year from now people will be saying Wonder needs work done

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jptoz said:

I just booked LOS out of Cape Liberty 7/23. How do you feel about the ship. I personally love freedom class ships.But  I've been watching reviews online and most of them seems to say, she needs a  dry dock. Is she run down? Is RCI going to do a dry dock or Amp her.  I'm fine with a drink in my hand and a deck chair, but  I'm traveling with 2 teens that need the bells and whistles.  Thanks

out of Cape Liberty, are you sure?

We just got off LOTS a couple days ago... for a ship that's 15 years old, not bad but there were definitely a few places where she's showing her age.  The outdoor movie screen was not working (and apparently hasn't for a while), and we found the in-room TV abysmal.  Video would just freeze and lock up for 5-15 minutes at a time.  One elevator was stuck on 12 for the entire 7 days. 

Other than that, everything else seemed acceptable.

It was in drydock back in summer 2021, and returned to service in Oct 2021. 

Given the amount of visible rust in places, I'm not sure how extensive that was... 

(  https://twitter.com/JamesVanFleet/status/1420444383632056322  )

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Thanks 1

The issue (if you want to call it that) is Liberty hasn’t been amped like Freedom and Independence. To me it isn’t a big deal, but I can see some people noticing Liberty doesn’t have certain features like Playmakers, which Freedom and Independence have in their ships. 

I was on Odyssey in October. During my morning runs I saw them painting over rust in multiple spots and patching the mat material on the running track. Plus several other small things around the ship. If she was 10 years old, some people would come home and say "man she's tired." But it's just a fact of life.

First time on Liberty was in 2016, pretty soon after the slide drydock. There was a ton of worn out carpet in the stairways. Next time I was on here in 2017, it had all be replaced and looked great.

People are just ridiculous and think anything older than a few years is "old."

15 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The issue (if you want to call it that) is Liberty hasn’t been amped like Freedom and Independence. To me it isn’t a big deal, but I can see some people noticing Liberty doesn’t have certain features like Playmakers, which Freedom and Independence have in their ships. 

Really, she's been half amped. She has the slides and Splashaway Bay. Also hasn't destroyed the gym.

16 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Agree with the poster above you. The things people including me were mad about were the cabin tvs. We cant get any outside news. Cut off from the world. And every day someone asks about fixing the big screen at the pool. 

People arent asking where is playmakers...they say the game is on, why cant be we tv. Cant it be shown on the screen by the pool. I've seen people who wouldnt book it over these reasons. 

If the pool tv cant be fixed say so. Give those poor crew a rest, as diamond ambassador I'm sure got asked many times a day when ...if she had a answer it would help .. and I personally want some outside news when I'm cruising for 2 weeks. And yes the elevators had lots of issues. ..me I want my tv to work. 

22 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Agree with the poster above you. The things people including me were mad about were the cabin tvs. We cant get any outside news. Cut off from the world. And every day someone asks about fixing the big screen at the pool. 

People arent asking where is playmakers...they say the game is on, why cant be we tv. Cant it be shown on the screen by the pool. I've seen people who wouldnt book it over these reasons. 

If the pool tv cant be fixed say so. Give those poor crew a rest, as diamond ambassador I'm sure got asked many times a day when ...if she had a answer it would help .. and I personally want some outside news when I'm cruising for 2 weeks. And yes the elevators had lots of issues. ..me I want my tv to work. 

Maybe a little off topic, but I think the news available on ships has been close to non-existent since most major cruise lines stopped broadcasting the major networks several years ago. Perhaps it’s just the people I cruise with often, but having Playmakers has become a requirement for us when cruising on an RCI ship. 

33 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Maybe a little off topic, but I think the news available on ships has been close to non-existent since most major cruise lines stopped broadcasting the major networks several years ago. Perhaps it’s just the people I cruise with often, but having Playmakers has become a requirement for us when cruising on an RCI ship. 

Really?  So none of rcl ships get the news channels? Front desk says the satellite is pointed wrong.

I'm on grandeur and allure and harmony ., I really hoped their tvs worked. I'm surprised you say they dont work on any rcl ship. There are 3 channels... BBC, cnn and fox I think warble in for maybe 20  minutes in ports freezing and whatever but dont work out to sea. Really disappointed to hear tvs dont work any better on any rcl ships. I just assumed was just a liberty problem.,

Well that's disappointing. Odd tvs work on carnival ships I've been on. 

Yep.  We've taken Carnival on three different trips and the TV selections worked at sea and they had current PPV options.  On RCL, watching Prime was like someone discovered a couple VHS tapes from the 90s.... 

On 3/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, jptoz said:

I was on her in December.  She is a great ship in good condition.  The teens will love the Flowrider and the water slides. The Tidal Wave water slide is a 2 person slide you use a small raft on.  It is a hoot.  The kids will have a great time, I promise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Service in the MDR was outstanding.  For quiet... there are a couple areas forward on deck 11 that are reasonably quiet (by the "overboard" hot tubs).  Some comfy couches and a couple porch swings.  You get some pool noise but it's not as bad as being poolside, and it's glassed in so depending on the weather or speed of the ship it's not very distracting.

There's also the 21+ area on Deck 12.  Very quiet.  We spent a lot of time on Deck 4 in chairs.  Very quiet, not a lot of traffic, but the chairs were a little less comfortable.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

What about any favorite restaurants?  How is the food and service?

Quite fine, except don't expect a good hollandaise in Chops. That was the greatest point of contention with our January sailing which is to say we had a magnificent week aboard the Liberty. 

I don't know what to say to anyone, teen or otherwise, who needs more bells and whistles that Liberty offers in order to have a good time (and I still have one teenaged child). "Is it better to be on or of the ship?" I suppose that's what I'd say. 

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Any recommendations for quiet spots for dining, drinking, reading, walking, sunning, etc. that cater mainly to adults?

Celebrity, Silversea, Seaborne

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 5:45 PM, jptoz said:

Just got back from a back to back on Liberty a week ago. I had read the reviews that she was getting run down. After sailing on her, I honestly don't know what they are talking about. If you are looking real hard, you can find a little wear but nothing to ruin your trip over. In my opinion, she's in good shape and is kept very clean. Her crew is very friendly.