Having Second Thoughts on Prima

DiscalC8

After seeing the initial teasers (both written and video) for the Prima, I was pretty enthusiastic that it would be a nice ship with more space to relax and a more adult-oriented feel to the experience.    As I started to dig into actual available spaces I see that there is NO Spice H2O and in fact there appear to be NO adult spaces that don't involve paying extra.  (I'm not ready to fork over Haven money, and my [incorrect?] assumption was that the Prima general layout (especially with all that deck 8 waterfront area) would already feel more like a Spice H2O or Vibe type experience (without a Vibe upcharge).   In my mind I was justifying the extra couple hundred dollars per passenger that Prima commands by envisioning that I'd get an area (somewhere on-board) that was a nice quiet adult area for lounging, hot-tubbing, etc. (for comparison I figure that the cost of a cabin on Breakaway+ class (plus Vibe cost) is roughly comparable to a similar cabin Prima (without paying Vibe).

Instead, it seems that without some kind of upcharge, the Prima (like the Encore) is not a good choice if one wants a ship that has:

adult lounging area in the sun (preferably without the noise level of the regular pool deck)

kid-free hot-tub and/or pool

I really like Norwegian's relaxed style, and would honestly feel a little uncomfortable hanging around a more exclusive demographic [I enjoy talking with fellow travelers and like having something in common with them] , so I don't really want to switch to another line that might have a more sedate style.   I'm not nearly as cranky as it sounds above - I just happen to enjoy a good book while catching some sun or conversation while relaxing in a hot-tub.   Non-stop party music and screeching kids just don't add to those experiences for me.

Anyway - I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on good NCL ships for that kind of experience.  Am I being too pessimistic regarding Prima? (I really wanted to love it, but the more I see, the less I'm getting that feel.)   I like the feel of the Spice H2O area (or the feel of RCL's Solarium area) for my daytime relaxing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DiscalC8 said:

Instead, it seems that without some kind of upcharge, the Prima (like the Encore) is not a good choice if one wants a ship that has:

adult lounging area in the sun (preferably without the noise level of the regular pool deck)

kid-free hot-tub and/or pool

It's for this very reason I intend to avoid the Encore and possibly, by extension, the Prima and Viva!  I actually just booked a cruise on the Joy.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, hallux said:

I actually just booked a cruise on the Joy.

I think you'll have a great time on Joy.  We just got off the Joy 2 days ago.   Had a great week.  We stayed onboard for most of the stops as we had done this itinerary a few times before.  Sailed primarily for the ship (not the itinerary) and were glad we did.   It was great to get away from the New England weather and had a wonderful time on a very lightly loaded ship (1300pax).   

Love the waterfront area on Joy (and also on Escape and Breakaway previous trips), and that's part of what makes Prima seem so attractive - they have really amped up that deck on Prima.   If only some of it (or somewhere on Prima) was a Spice H2O - like area.

• Like 2

To me the Bliss hits a "sweet spot" for the bigger NCL ships - upgraded Waterfront , Observation Lounge and Spice H2O - perfect trifecta for relaxing and getting away from the hustle and bustle without added costs.  Joy is similar but lacks a thermal suite in spa for those who want it (and yes I know it is an extra cost).  Encore not having Spice H2O and the  enlarged Vibe taking over the free sundeck/hotub area on deck 19 was a major negative to that ship and I would not book it again if I had other choices.

I'm optimistically watching Prima/Viva and reserving judgement until the ships are in service and all details known

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We have sailed on many NCL ships from the tiny but perfect Spirit ,Epic,Getaway,Bliss,Jewel,Jade,Pearl and Dawn       The Bliss was for us the best fit.    The waterfront and the Observation lounge along with H20 and the spa made for everything we want on a ship.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jldevlin said:

We have sailed on many NCL ships from the tiny but perfect Spirit ,Epic,Getaway,Bliss,Jewel,Jade,Pearl and Dawn       The Bliss was for us the best fit.    The waterfront and the Observation lounge along with H20 and the spa made for everything we want on a ship.

We enjoyed the Joy with the Observation Lounge! Never busy, Food & drinks there,  too.

• Like 2

With a couple Bliss recommendations (above) I just took a peek at the deck plans.   I agree that it seems like a good match for my wants.   The Miami to LA (via Panama) repositioning cruise looks fantastic - if only I had 15 days available.   If their Caribbean itinerary was the Eastern or Southern, that would make (in my opinion) an ideal 7-day (sun and sand) cruise.

At some point I'll have to try a colder cruise - as the Bliss looks like it would really shine as an Alaska ship.    Usually I'm trying to escape the cold when I cruise, but I've heard so many great reviews that sooner or later I'll plan a summer cruise in the great Northwest

• Like 1

after seeing the cabin prices on the prima, i didnt need any 2nd thoughts. in fact i have no thoughts at all of sailing on either the prima or viva. i think under the current situation, ncl is pricing themselves out of the market with these 2 ships

just sayiny

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DiscalC8 said:

Sailed primarily for the ship (not the itinerary)

I booked for the itinerary, I haven't been to any of the ports (including Miami!).  I figured I'd like the Joy just as I liked the Bliss.  The Bliss was my first (and second, 6 months later) NCL experience.

14 minutes ago, DiscalC8 said:

I agree that it seems like a good match for my wants

It's a really nice ship.  It's not the monstrosity that is the Oasis-class on Royal, but it has lots of amenities and it's nicely appointed.  There are some, minor, gripes but they don't take away from how nicely it was appointed.

37 minutes ago, complawyer said:

after seeing the cabin prices on the prima, i didnt need any 2nd thoughts. in fact i have no thoughts at all of sailing on either the prima or viva. i think under the current situation, ncl is pricing themselves out of the market with these 2 ships

just sayiny

I am just glad we booked the Prima for September 2023 when we did it is now 50% higher than when we booked. Looks like a one and done for us on it. This booking did work out okay for us as we wanted to do the ship and it does Iceland and Norway which we have not been to.

• Like 1

From what I've seen about the Encore and the Prima/Viva, the Bliss is the ship for us, and we're booked Alaska May, 2024. It will be our 4th Alaska cruise. We were thinking the Prima, but got cold feet dur to price and lack of deck space (free).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiscalC8 said:

At some point I'll have to try a colder cruise - as the Bliss looks like it would really shine as an Alaska ship.    Usually I'm trying to escape the cold when I cruise, but I've heard so many great reviews that sooner or later I'll plan a summer cruise in the great Northwest

Bliss, Joy, and Encore are ideally suited for chilly & scenic itineraries. You've got the Observation Lounge (which is simply stunning) for warmer viewing and the Waterfront for open-air viewing. If it gets too cold on the Waterfront, it's a quick dash inside to Sugarcane for a reviving mojito.

I agree with the others who love Bliss. If NCL would replace La Cucina with Onda, Bliss would be perfect, and TBH I'm fine with La Cucina. Joy is prettier (hull art and chandelier - otherwise they're basically identical inside) but its lack of a thermal suite & Studio area is a drawback. 

We'll see how Prima looks when we finally get all the details. I'm definitely not cancelling my cabin on the transatlantic!

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

I am just glad we booked the Prima for September 2023 when we did it is now 50% higher than when we booked. Looks like a one and done for us on it. This booking did work out okay for us as we wanted to do the ship and it does Iceland and Norway which we have not been to.

We are going the month before you. the same itinerary. or possibly the same in reverse. We were supposed to do Norwegian fjords in 2020, which obviously did not happen. We have done a land trip to Reykjavik, Iceland, a wonderful city and country.

• Like 2

Just now, ontheweb said:

We are going the month before you. the same itinerary. or possibly the same in reverse. We were supposed to do Norwegian fjords in 2020, which obviously did not happen. We have done a land trip to Reykjavik, Iceland, a wonderful city and country.

Not sure about yours ours is a 14 night cruise roundtrip from Southampton. I liked the idea of going out of  Southampton and returning there. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

The mega ships on all the lines have lots of upcharge and things for families, children, and adventure.  I thought the OP must have only cruised smaller ships calling NCL a "relaxed style."  But I see the OP has sailed the Joy.  Fun zones are on all the new cruise ships.  If you want traditional and more relaxed then stick to older ships.

Any new build is always expensive when it first comes out. I'm sure NCL will fill it up.

When the Oasis of the Seas first came out in  Oct 2009  it was huge and expensive.

Now it's still huge and much more reasonable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coastcat said:

Bliss, Joy, and Encore are ideally suited for chilly & scenic itineraries. You've got the Observation Lounge (which is simply stunning) for warmer viewing and the Waterfront for open-air viewing. If it gets too cold on the Waterfront, it's a quick dash inside to Sugarcane for a reviving mojito.

I agree with the others who love Bliss. If NCL would replace La Cucina with Onda, Bliss would be perfect, and TBH I'm fine with La Cucina. Joy is prettier (hull art and chandelier - otherwise they're basically identical inside) but its lack of a thermal suite & Studio area is a drawback. 

We'll see how Prima looks when we finally get all the details. I'm definitely not cancelling my cabin on the transatlantic!

I could have written this post.  I have only had one good meal in La Cucina and that was on the Jade, but Onda...I would sail the Encore again just for that restaurant.  And I am not giving up my cabin on the transatlantic either...200 days!

• Like 1

I find it funny that people are so decided on whether they like/dislike Prima when she isn't even finished being built. It's all guesses right now as to what is coming in that 'still to come' area on the deck plans. If you're hesitant, book a later sailing - I'm sure these boards will be flooded with real opinions and photos after the first few sailings. Then you can make more informed decisions.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

I could have written this post.  I have only had one good meal in La Cucina and that was on the Jade, but Onda...I would sail the Encore again just for that restaurant.  And I am not giving up my cabin on the transatlantic either...200 days!

Oh, that squishy eggplant stuff - caponata? - that Onda serves with the bread. I don't even like eggplant but not a morsel of it remained in the dish. Too bad my fish entree was horribly overcooked. Nevertheless, I'm willing to give Onda another try. If Onda is announced as one of the Prima offerings, let's do a solo dinner there on the transatlantic!

I had originally envisioned Prima as being more in the spirit of, well, Spirit: a more adult-oriented ship. Oh well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

I find it funny that people are so decided on whether they like/dislike Prima when she isn't even finished being built. It's all guesses right now as to what is coming in that 'still to come' area on the deck plans. If you're hesitant, book a later sailing - I'm sure these boards will be flooded with real opinions and photos after the first few sailings. Then you can make more informed decisions.

I am so excited to be booked on Prima. The deck plans and images of the ship on the website look good to me. I am excited to see the infinity pools on the sides of ship. Ocean Boulevard with the Indulge Outdoor Lounge and La Terrazza seem like just the kinds of places the OP will like. I hope they wait and see before cancelling. No second thoughts here. I am looking forward to exploring a new ship with a new layout. The cabins look spacious and light. Love being one of the first people to experience it all!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, swmichigan cruiser said:

Not sure about yours ours is a 14 night cruise roundtrip from Southampton. I liked the idea of going out of  Southampton and returning there. Enjoy your cruise.

Right, ours is different, not a roundtrip as we end in Reykjavik including an overnight there before disembarkation.

And an "enjoy your cruise" right back at you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

I am so excited to be booked on Prima. The deck plans and images of the ship on the website look good to me. I am excited to see the infinity pools on the sides of ship. Ocean Boulevard with the Indulge Outdoor Lounge and La Terrazza seem like just the kinds of places the OP will like. I hope they wait and see before cancelling. No second thoughts here. I am looking forward to exploring a new ship with a new layout. The cabins look spacious and light. Love being one of the first people to experience it all!

I showed DW who is an avid swimmer those pictures of the pool overlooking the ocean. She loved it.

We will not experience it as new as our cruise is not until the summer of 2023. I guess we will be able to read the reactions to the ship well before we sail. I hope you share yours on these boards.

What is your itinerary? We are really excited about ours---London (Southampton), Amsterdam, Bruge for Brussels, 3 stops in Norway (basically fjords), and finally 3 stops in Iceland with an overnight in Reykjavik before disembarking there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, complawyer said:

just sayiny

I am with you on not booking them, yet.....As they become more common (second ship, third ship) I am hoping to see the prices come down some.

As for pricing themselves out of the market, it seems sales would say you are wrong, the Prima is by far the most booked ship on their site in terms of available rooms left to book, and it is normally double the cost of any other ship in the fleet matching up itineraries.  Basically they are charging that much because they are getting away with it.  Until that changes, we wont see prices drop, which is a bummer for me, because I would like to try this ship out, but not for the current price of entry.  

31 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I am with you on not booking them, yet.....As they become more common (second ship, third ship) I am hoping to see the prices come down some.

As for pricing themselves out of the market, it seems sales would say you are wrong, the Prima is by far the most booked ship on their site in terms of available rooms left to book, and it is normally double the cost of any other ship in the fleet matching up itineraries.  Basically they are charging that much because they are getting away with it.  Until that changes, we wont see prices drop, which is a bummer for me, because I would like to try this ship out, but not for the current price of entry.  

Prices were not too out of line when they opened in May, at least for balconies and below.  They only went up because booking was so strong.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

From the deck plans I've seen, unless I pay more than I want or can afford to, I won't be sailing on either Prima or Viva because of where the wheelchair accessible balcony rooms are. I guess I'll know for certain after other wheelchair users have cruised on them, however, it doesn't look great from where I'm sitting. So my reluctance to like either ship is based on as informed a decision as it's possible to get. However, a triangle shaped balcony doesn't strike me as being all that accessible. I could be wrong, but I haven't noticed any other ships with the balcony wheelchair accessible rooms in that kind of location.