The Daily for Tuesday 03/08/2022

richwmn

@JazzyVthanks for asking about Jen and Buddy.  Neither have very good news.  My twin says Buddy has daily radiation and has 3 more treatments so he should be finished by the weekend.  She says he's pretty weak, his taste buds are gone, his mouth is raw and his skin is sunburned from the constant radiation treatments.  We hope that when the radiation is complete his mouth and skin can heal so he can finally begin eating and gaining weight and strength.  I have a feeling it will take quite some time to recover from this.  

Jen's health is depressing as well.  We're all aware that health insurance companies have a big say in our outcome.  The social worker says they're looking at discharging Jen next week and send her home with a wheelchair.  Jen's mom, who lives near her says this is not going to work because she can't stand up much less get into the bathroom or tub, or navigate stairs.  They've been telling this to the doctors, physical therapists and social worker for over 2 weeks.  This is all insurance company driven.  My brother says at Jen's apartment the garage is downstairs as well as her laundry room, and the living area is up a long flight of stairs.  And she's going home with a wheelchair.  Before her accident she drove her car with a pedal attachment and a knob on the steering wheel.  I doubt anything like that will help her at all anymore.  She's rather helpless.  I wonder if the insurance company plans on providing her an aide 24/7?  Very doubtful.  SMH

Both of them are 49 years old.  So young to be in such dire conditions.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 14

Good afternoon Dailyites!

Interesting group of days.  Brings back memories of childhood, about the only thing my Dad would fix for us kids was beans and cut up franks!  He just was never exposed to much  cooking as his mom ran the house, and the boys worked on the farm!  But we loved the meal!

My home office varies from nice and neat to days a cyclone looks like it went by!

My son and I proofread and like to send each other "catches" that we find.  It is good for a few laughs, especially as a cranky teenage he grumbled at Sister Anne and I, with our "red pens" now he wields a "red pen" in his job!

@HAL Sailer  My thoughts are with you and your husband.  I am glad you have memories of your travel to share.

@mamaofami  Good luck with the new caregiver search.  We had a new caregiver start with Dad yesterday.  After several, we had a "perfect" one and now the company is moving her, as they want her to train others.  It is stressful with the new ones and with Dad's dementia he doesn't do change well.

Everyone take care and thank you those that are cruising for your awesome photos you have posted.  Keeps me smiling!

Denise

• Like 19

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Made it to FLL!! Here is our room. Love our location and will be able to watch SAILAWAYS!!!Have a wrap around balcony.

Going to go walk on the beach and collect my shells!

🌺Denise☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.b8fab6f6b0309408d38cb2a4b6c214d5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f4cc098fbfa93274845b096545ce2dcd.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b4a1576f73fc786906ee1a5eaab5412a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a538ce0f0f9e10dbaa180722ba98689a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1aaba5a3ffaf79927669c797d5bb5a32.jpeg

Absolutely gorgeous, Denise 👍. If I’m not being too nosy, may I ask which Hilton this is?

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I’m shaking my head too 😔 This is so sad for this to happen to them both - especially at such a young age 😢 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@JazzyVthanks for asking about Jen and Buddy.  Neither have very good news.  My twin says Buddy has daily radiation and has 3 more treatments so he should be finished by the weekend.  She says he's pretty weak, his taste buds are gone, his mouth is raw and his skin is sunburned from the constant radiation treatments.  We hope that when the radiation is complete his mouth and skin can heal so he can finally begin eating and gaining weight and strength.  I have a feeling it will take quite some time to recover from this.  

Jen's health is depressing as well.  We're all aware that health insurance companies have a big say in our outcome.  The social worker says they're looking at discharging Jen next week and send her home with a wheelchair.  Jen's mom, who lives near her says this is not going to work because she can't stand up much less get into the bathroom or tub, or navigate stairs.  They've been telling this to the doctors, physical therapists and social worker for over 2 weeks.  This is all insurance company driven.  My brother says at Jen's apartment the garage is downstairs as well as her laundry room, and the living area is up a long flight of stairs.  And she's going home with a wheelchair.  Before her accident she drove her car with a pedal attachment and a knob on the steering wheel.  I doubt anything like that will help her at all anymore.  She's rather helpless.  I wonder if the insurance company plans on providing her an aide 24/7?  Very doubtful.  SMH

Oh Sandi, I am so sorry to hear such sad news about Buddy and Jen.

The insurance folks were front and center with  Tana's  rapid discharge as well.She is 51.It is all so sad.

We were told to widen our hallways to accommodate a wheel chair. As if that could occur in a week!

Sending prayers for you and the family.Hugs too.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

The insurance folks were front and center with  Tana's  rapid discharge as well.She is 51.It is all so sad.

We were told to widen our hallways to accommodate a wheel chair. As if that could occur in a week!

It seems to be quite common for helpless people to be sent home with silly instructions like widen the hallway.  In the meantime what is she supposed to do?  Hugs back to you!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Absolutely gorgeous, Denise 👍. If I’m not being too nosy, may I ask which Hilton this is?

I’m shaking my head too 😔 This is so sad for this to happen to them both - especially at such a young age 😢 

🌺🌺Hi Jacqui! 
It is Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort

505 N. Fort Lauderdale Blvd.

It is so nice. Tomorrow will watch Eurodam leave for SAILAWAY. 
So glad to talk to you!

❤️Denise☺️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon.  Anotheer busy day on the Daily.  I salute all working women.  My side of our home office is neat unless it's been a busy day.  As a journalism major, proofreading was not my strong suit, but I try to catch any errors.  DH often catches them just as the time to edit ends.

I know I won't remember everything I wanted to comment on, but I'll try.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad your DH's procedure went well and that he got a good report.  Hope he gets the pacemaker soon.

@Cruzin Terri  Best wishes for you DH tomorrow and for a fix to his problem.

I just checked the clock and it's all most time for trivia.  I'll try to fisnish later, but no promises.

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

39 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It seems to be quite common for helpless people to be sent home with silly instructions like widen the hallway.  In the meantime what is she supposed to do?  Hugs back to you!

I can't say how much it saddens me to read this.  The problem is insurance companies are not in business to provide us with health care.  They are in business to make money for their investors and if the cost of the care a person needs interferes with making that money, then the patient suffers.  On a much less severe note, I once had a skull crusher headache that kept me flat on my back for a good 3 months in total.   About halfway into it the doctor wanted an MRI of the neck as well as the head.  Insurance denied it and said I should modify my activity.   I called and told them I had been flat on my back for 6 weeks and asked how I should modify that.  They said to lie there for 4-6 more weeks.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, dfish said:

I can't say how much it saddens me to read this.  The problem is insurance companies are not in business to provide us with health care.  They are in business to make money for their investors and if the cost of the care a person needs interferes with making that money, then the patient suffers.  On a much less severe note, I once had a skull crusher headache that kept me flat on my back for a good 3 months in total.   About halfway into it the doctor wanted an MRI of the neck as well as the head.  Insurance denied it and said I should modify my activity.   I called and told them I had been flat on my back for 6 weeks and asked how I should modify that.  They said to lie there for 4-6 more weeks.  

No way I can LIKE your post.  That's simply ridiculous!

• Like 14

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, so sorry to hear this news. I am hopeful that Buddy will rebound once radiation is done. They should be giving him Magic Swizzle that soothes and numbs the mouth a bit, to allow better oral intake. And it's ridiculous that they want to send Jen home without accommodations for her situation; as others stated, sadly it's all about money.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dfish said:

I liked the post even though I didn’t like the content.  Sometimes, we really need a YIKES! 😱 button.  Just don’t let me get started on insurance companies.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 17

43 minutes ago, dfish said:

Gosh, Debbie. Your local news consumer reporter should have taken that one on. Insurance companies donate millions to PACs, Super PACs and candidates. They are perhaps the most influential group in the USA.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to try to cover everything I didn’t have time to get to eartler. 

My mother made a version of franks and beans that I loved.  Unfortunately, when I made it later, it was not as well received.  IIRC, her recipe used whole weenies and navy beans, and she used mustard and maple syrup as some of the  seasonings.  During the last two years, I've come to realize many of her recipes were economical ones from the Depression and war years.

@HAL Sailer  Melisia, both our fathers advised us to travel while we were young, and we took their advice. Both waited until they retired, and their travels were cur short by health issues.  It's good you have all the great memories of your travels to help you through the coming years, and you have your Daily friends to lean on, too.

@aliaschief  I'm glad you're enjoying Azamara.

@mamaofami  Carol, I hope your search lets you find a good aide.

@Horizon chaser 1957  I envy your being able to cruise for seven months.  It's great you are able to do that.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope the MRI leads to a solution to your back problems.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, sorry the news about Jen is so grim, and yikes, to them wanting to send her home in a wheel chair without any thought to how she will manage.  Hope Buddy can begin improving once the treatments are completed.

@smitty34877  Terry, I hope Tana can have some good nights. The advice to widen the halls is unbelievable.

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am simply appalled at hearing these stories 😢 😡

That is absolutely nuts!  It makes me grateful I am where I am.  DH has been through intensive tests ( one doctor called him him the million dollar man).  There was no insurance worries.  All covered.

Jose is now technically ‘medically discharged’ as there are no more tests they can do to resolve things.  They have done all they can do but he needs 24/7 care and they did not even suggest he be sent home.

He remains in the hospital awaiting a nursing home, and yes, now that they know they can’t solve the problem and it is what it is,  I am being charged - but it is a very nominal cost as long as i am co-operative about getting him placed (no idea on that. - my interview is tomorrow) - cheaper than where he has to go but I want him placed ASAP for his comfort, personalization of his surroundings and (selfish me) so I don’t have to travel an hour + every day.  

His care, tests, stay, etc  have not cost me a dime financially.  (The emotional toll is another story) So grateful I live where I do as I didn’t need to worry about fighting insurance, etc.  

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺Hi Jacqui! 
It is Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort

505 N. Fort Lauderdale Blvd.

It is so nice. Tomorrow will watch Eurodam leave for SAILAWAY. 
So glad to talk to you!

❤️Denise☺️

Thanks Denise.  Great spot to watch sail a ways up close and personal.

Lovely, lovely suite.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am simply appalled at hearing these stories 😢 😡

That is absolutely nuts!  It makes me grateful I am where I am.  DH has been through intensive tests ( one doctor called him him the million dollar man).  There was no insurance worries.  All covered.

Jose is now technically ‘medically discharged’ as there are no more tests they can do to resolve things.  They have done all they can do but he needs 24/7 care and they did not even suggest he be sent home.

He remains in the hospital awaiting a nursing home, and yes, now that they know they can’t solve the problem and it is what it is,  I am being charged - but it is a very nominal cost as long as i am co-operative about getting him placed (no idea on that. - my interview is tomorrow) - cheaper than where he has to go but I want him placed ASAP for his comfort, personalization of his surroundings and (selfish me) so I don’t have to travel an hour + every day.  

His care, tests, stay, etc  have not cost me a dime financially.  So grateful I live where I do.

Thanks Denise.  Great spot to watch sail a ways up close and personal.

Lovely, lovely suite.

It truly is a blessing not to worry about cost when you need medical help!    You have more than enough other things on your mind. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

OMG.That is one of the worst things I have ever heard.How did you ever get to the other side of that problem?Sorry if I am too nosy but it sounds so frightening  to be in that sort of position.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

Gosh, Debbie. Your local news consumer reporter should have taken that one on. Insurance companies donate millions to PACs, Super PACs and candidates. They are perhaps the most influential group in the USA.  

When I was recovered and thinking properly I realized I should have had someone drive me up to Cleveland and I could have laid my sleeping bag down on the sidewalk blocking the door to their offices.  I'm sure that would have gotten some press. 

1 minute ago, smitty34877 said:

OMG.That is one of the worst things I have ever heard.How did you ever get to the other side of that problem?Sorry if I am too nosy but it sounds so frightening  to be in that sort of position.

We followed the protocol for a cerebral spinal fluid leak and the steroids did the trick.  I did get some relief from drinking large amounts of coffee and caffeine is one of the treatments for this.   It goes bed rest, caffeine drip, steroids, glue patch, go to LA to the national expert and let him fix you.  Good luck with a 5 hour flight in coach.   We didn't actually do the caffeine drip, but if I drank coffee I could sit up for 10-15 minutes.   The nurse and doctor were appalled at how much coffee I was drinking, but that should have been a clue to them.  Sadly, it wasn't and my recovery was more of a blind squirrel finding a nut.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

or this reason, this fall we are sailing from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale, continuing with the Grand Africa, switching to a holiday cruise on the Zuiderdam, and staying aboard for the Grand World. We’ll be sailing for over 7 consecutive months. The arrangements; house sitter, bills, taxes, medical, etc. are huge, but I have a list and a timeline and all is going well. Today we book our flight to Montreal through FlightEase. We have no idea when our travel window will close, and we’ve lost two years of that time already.

I certainly hope to see a lot of BHB elevator mats posted during that time!

I have to say that with everyone posting how important it is to travel when you can as soon as you can has reinforced my decision to cruise more. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1