Canada Releases Guidelines for Return of Cruise Ships

milolii

@juliahave you discovered if we can just stay onboard when the ship makes a morning stop in Victoria? I'm reading conflicting  'opinions' as to whether or not I would have to retest after a 9am-10pm stop in Vancouver. I don't mind the 1st test but the 2nd one would be just silly (even though I love Victoria)

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@juliahave you discovered if we can just stay onboard when the ship makes a morning stop in Victoria? I'm reading conflicting  'opinions' as to whether or not I would have to retest after a 9am-10pm stop in Vancouver. I don't mind the 1st test but the 2nd one would be just silly (even though I love Victoria)

The fact is that know one knows the answer to these questions and probably will not know for a few weeks. I believe the first Princess ship is scheduled to port in Canada on April 3

I know there is no published answer, but I would love to hear some opinions…

on the white pass Yukon excursion, most likely people would have to be tested the day before right?

But what about the white pass excursion that does not get off the train? Would those need testing too?

I saw some excursions are selling out but I would like to avoid additional testing.

and thoughts appreciated!

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

@Ombud  Sorry, no...  right now it's just a guessing game for all of us!  On another note... may I ask the meaning behind your screen name?  Just curious if it's related to a certain sports club in Mission Beach, Ca.

Edited by julia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, newbie1900 said:

on the white pass Yukon excursion, most likely people would have to be tested the day before right?

But what about the white pass excursion that does not get off the train? Would those need testing too?

I saw some excursions are selling out but I would like to avoid additional testing.

I wouldn't want to hazard a guess about any decision on requirements. But there is an exception for transiting through Canada from one point in AK to another, https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border. Not the same circumstance, but does offer hope that these excursions might be permitted without testing.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, memoak said:

The fact is that know one knows the answer to these questions and probably will not know for a few weeks. I believe the first Princess ship is scheduled to port in Canada on April 3

There's a few things here that those of us on that first voyage will find out.

Worst case (for US residents): 4 antigen tests which is 1 before boarding, 1 before victoria, 1 before vancouver, and 1 to return to the United states.

Better case that would appear to meet all the canadian rules: 3 antigen tests, 1 before boarding, 1 on the morning of arrival in victoria (which would be just less than 24 hrs before arrival in Vancouver), 1 to return to the US.

Another possible "better" case: 2 antigen, and 1 PCR.  1 antigen before cruising, 1 PCR at embarkation (which would clear passengers through Victoria and Princess was doing this before Hawaii cruises from SFO when required), and 1 antigen test on disembarkation which would satisfy Canadian requirements for Vancouver and US re-entry requirements.

Less likely possibilities:

• Canada only requiring 1 test before entry in Victoria and clearance to Vancouver allowed, but 1 test still required for US passengers to fly back to the states
  • Canada waiving all testing requirements in lieu of PCR test in SFO.
  • antigen tests being handed out in the napkin bundle at the World Marketplace/Horizon Court 😁

Oh, its a fun time to travel hehe

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

There's a few things here that those of us on that first voyage will find out.

Worst case (for US residents): 4 antigen tests which is 1 before boarding, 1 before victoria, 1 before vancouver, and 1 to return to the United states.

Better case that would appear to meet all the canadian rules: 3 antigen tests, 1 before boarding, 1 on the morning of arrival in victoria (which would be just less than 24 hrs before arrival in Vancouver), 1 to return to the US.

Another possible "better" case: 2 antigen, and 1 PCR.  1 antigen before cruising, 1 PCR at embarkation (which would clear passengers through Victoria and Princess was doing this before Hawaii cruises from SFO when required), and 1 antigen test on disembarkation which would satisfy Canadian requirements for Vancouver and US re-entry requirements.

Less likely possibilities:

• Canada only requiring 1 test before entry in Victoria and clearance to Vancouver allowed, but 1 test still required for US passengers to fly back to the states
  • Canada waiving all testing requirements in lieu of PCR test in SFO.
  • antigen tests being handed out in the napkin bundle at the World Marketplace/Horizon Court 😁

Oh, its a fun time to travel hehe

I am so confused!! All I need to do is get off in Vancouver and fly home to the US...lol. And well my husband wants to take the White Pass Railroad into Canada. 

On 3/12/2022 at 2:07 PM, newbie1900 said:

There's a bunch of options. I assume that if protocols stay the same, it's likely the White Pass excursions will terminate at the Canada border, and either shuttle people back on the train or motorcoaches. Not sure if it's still offered, but years ago we did an excursion that took the WPYR to Canada, then biked back down the highway to Skagway. 

It's notable that WPYR isn't even offering the excursion to Carcross for booking on their website until 31 May 2022. Hilariously, my Royal Princess cruise in early May is offering that excursion, so who knows where shore ex is going to send to those passengers.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I am so confused!! All I need to do is get off in Vancouver and fly home to the US...lol. And well my husband wants to take the White Pass Railroad into Canada. 

It's very confusing, there is still almost 2 months for the White Pass Railroad to be "figured out" so hopefully things will get ironed out by then.  Worst case scenario is, your nose may get a little raw after so many covid swabs 🙂

6 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

There's a bunch of options. I assume that if protocols stay the same, it's likely the White Pass excursions will terminate at the Canada border, and either shuttle people back on the train or motorcoaches. Not sure if it's still offered, but years ago we did an excursion that took the WPYR to Canada, then biked back down the highway to Skagway. 

It's notable that WPYR isn't even offering the excursion to Carcross for booking on their website until 31 May 2022. Hilariously, my Royal Princess cruise in early May is offering that excursion, so who knows where shore ex is going to send to those passengers.

The excursion to Carcross is offered May 04, 2022 as a Princess excursion. I suspect the reason the excursion is being offered by Princess is because it involves a known group of people that have to follow certain health protocols to board the ship versus random people booking directly with WPYR.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:43 PM, Ombud said:

2 updates to website in the same day. Progress!!

I hope they keep coming.  We're doing the NE route in Late July so hoping most of the dust will be settled a bit before.  But we'll take anything if it makes it simpler.

On 3/9/2022 at 11:02 AM, bmc alabama said:

The big question will be if we DON'T get off the ship, do we still have to test/do the ArrivalCAN, etc...

If we do, then we will probably cancel too.

I don't plan on getting off on our 4 hour stop in Victoria.   I figure if they test me and I test positive they can quarantine me on the ship back to San Francisco.   

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 6:35 PM, Mingus said:

There is a possibility that testing requirements will be eliminated.

https://flytrippers.com/canada-test-requirement-elimination/

I'd note that this is a single random travel blogger basing an entire post on a single tweet from March 9th.

I'm not holding my breath at this point... Canada has been nothing if exceedingly cautious. 

On 3/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, brisalta said:

The excursion to Carcross is offered May 04, 2022 as a Princess excursion. I suspect the reason the excursion is being offered by Princess is because it involves a known group of people that have to follow certain health protocols to board the ship versus random people booking directly with WPYR.

This is a great point that I didn't even think of! I know when we did the train up/bike down excursion several years ago, we still had passport checks at the border, but I'd be fascinated to know if Canada/US would make COVID exemptions for groups of cruise ship excursion passengers? Canada's recently released cruising restart guidelines would seem to be a hard no on exemptions, but maybe if no one left the train at Carcross? 

• Like 2

The guidelines require a test before boarding the ship.  I would imagine from the Canadian Prespective the concern is not if you decide to stay onboard or not go into Canada at the port call in Skagway, but is the possibility of disembarking the passengers in a Canadian port for some reason.  Such a situation is happening now in the Caribbean onboard the NCL Escape, which is damage after running aground departing the Dominican Republic.  Cruise is over, passengers  are disembarking, to fly home.  

I sent  ArriCan an email asking if the pass is good for more than one visit, and received a canned response to “complete my application”. There is  a $65.00 fee.  So maybe try asking about your situation.   See if your luck is better than mine. 

58 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

I'd note that this is a single random travel blogger basing an entire post on a single tweet from March 9th.

It's been more than this one tweet.  I live in Victoria, and there have been several reports in the local media regarding imminent dropping of border testing requirements, based on discussion the reporters have had with federal government officials.

Let's just hope this doesn't get derailed by the recent increase in Covid in Europe and other locations.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, milolii said:

The guidelines require a test before boarding the ship.  I would imagine from the Canadian Prespective the concern is not if you decide to stay onboard or not go into Canada at the port call in Skagway, but is the possibility of disembarking the passengers in a Canadian port for some reason.  Such a situation is happening now in the Caribbean onboard the NCL Escape, which is damage after running aground departing the Dominican Republic.  Cruise is over, passengers  are disembarking, to fly home.  

I sent  ArriCan an email asking if the pass is good for more than one visit, and received a canned response to “complete my application”. There is  a $65.00 fee.  So maybe try asking about your situation.   See if your luck is better than mine. 

ArriveCan must be completed for each entry. The app / webpage can retain some information for reuse.

ArriveCan is free, there is no charge. In fact the official web page warns of scammers trying to charge for the service. See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, westcoaster said:

It's been more than this one tweet.  I live in Victoria, and there have been several reports in the local media regarding imminent dropping of border testing requirements, based on discussion the reporters have had with federal government officials.

Let's just hope this doesn't get derailed by the recent increase in Covid in Europe and other locations.

Yeah I keep worrying about the increase as well.  I'm hoping I can visit Victoria with the Caribbean Princess on April 6th!

26 minutes ago, broberts said:

ArriveCan must be completed for each entry. The app / webpage can retain some information for reuse.

ArriveCan is free, there is no charge. In fact the official web page warns of scammers trying to charge for the service. See https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html

Thank you! I will check it out.