GOC change "Do not cruise outside of Canada" advisory

WESTEAST

Just checked the GOC travel.gc.ca site (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise) and appears they have 'adjusted' the 'do not cruise outside of Canada' advisory:

"If you decide to take a cruise outside of Canada, there are some important facts you should consider.

• Check for COVID-19 testing and vaccination requirements, as well as other entry requirements for your shore leave locations as well as the entry requirements for returning to Canada.
  • Complete a COVID-19 vaccine series along with any additional recommended doses, in Canada, at least 14 days before taking a cruise. 
    • While vaccines are effective at preventing serious outcomes, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.
  • Anyone who has not completed a vaccine series or those who are at higher risk for developing severe diseaseor outcomes from COVID-19 should avoid cruise ship travel.
  • Consider selecting cruises and excursions where proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
  • Even if not required during travel or at your destination, travellers should consistently follow individual public health measures, like wearing a mask and physical distancing, regardless of their vaccination status. 
    • Even if masks aren't required in the setting you're in, wearing a high-quality, well fitted mask is an added layer of protection. Consider wearing one in shared spaces with people from outside of your immediate household.

If an outbreak of COVID-19 or another contagious illness were to occur while taking a cruise outside of Canada:

• you could be subject to quarantine procedures onboard the ship or in a foreign country,
  • the range of consular services available on cruise ships may be significantly restricted by local authorities, especially in situations of quarantine, and/or
  • the cost of medical care could be very expensive if required, and you may need to pay for your medical bills immediately in cash.

The Government of Canada won’t pay your medical bills, including COVID-19 related expenses or medical evacuation.

If you’re infected with COVID-19, review the entry requirements and exemptions before your return to Canada. You shouldn’t depend on the Government of Canada for assistance to change your travel plans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Means a great deal we expect as when we were shopping for Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance many would not cover due to the 'do not cruise' ban from GOC.  Hopefully, we can now obtain. 

On 3/8/2022 at 4:37 PM, WESTEAST said:

Means a great deal we expect as when we were shopping for Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance many would not cover due to the 'do not cruise' ban from GOC.  Hopefully, we can now obtain. 

Exactly this! Had to spend a good extra amount to secure additional $$ on covid and cruise insurance when we went in January 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 12:23 PM, WESTEAST said:

Just checked the GOC travel.gc.ca site (https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise) and appears they have 'adjusted' the 'do not cruise outside of Canada' advisory:

"If you decide to take a cruise outside of Canada, there are some important facts you should consider.

• Check for COVID-19 testing and vaccination requirements, as well as other entry requirements for your shore leave locations as well as the entry requirements for returning to Canada.
  • Complete a COVID-19 vaccine series along with any additional recommended doses, in Canada, at least 14 days before taking a cruise. 
    • While vaccines are effective at preventing serious outcomes, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.
  • Anyone who has not completed a vaccine series or those who are at higher risk for developing severe diseaseor outcomes from COVID-19 should avoid cruise ship travel.
  • Consider selecting cruises and excursions where proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required.
  • Even if not required during travel or at your destination, travellers should consistently follow individual public health measures, like wearing a mask and physical distancing, regardless of their vaccination status. 
    • Even if masks aren't required in the setting you're in, wearing a high-quality, well fitted mask is an added layer of protection. Consider wearing one in shared spaces with people from outside of your immediate household.

If an outbreak of COVID-19 or another contagious illness were to occur while taking a cruise outside of Canada:

• you could be subject to quarantine procedures onboard the ship or in a foreign country,
  • the range of consular services available on cruise ships may be significantly restricted by local authorities, especially in situations of quarantine, and/or
  • the cost of medical care could be very expensive if required, and you may need to pay for your medical bills immediately in cash.

The Government of Canada won’t pay your medical bills, including COVID-19 related expenses or medical evacuation.

If you’re infected with COVID-19, review the entry requirements and exemptions before your return to Canada. You shouldn’t depend on the Government of Canada for assistance to change your travel plans.

So does this mean cruising is not in the “do not do” category and is no longer in the level four travel advisory category.I don’t see any changes yet to insurance policies.

40 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

So does this mean cruising is not in the “do not do” category and is no longer in the level four travel advisory category.I don’t see any changes yet to insurance policies.

Spoke to my TA on Tuesday. He said that Manulife was now considering the issue. Will advise.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

The pandemic has resulted in a number of "firsts". The advisory against cruising was the first that I'm aware of that was based on mode of transport rather than a geographic area. Now we are seeing an advisory (?) based on a category of people:

• Anyone who has not completed a vaccine series or those who are at higher risk for developing severe disease or outcomes from COVID-19 should avoid cruise ship travel.

Whether this constitutes an official advisory as we've known them in the past, or is simply advice, and how it is treated by the insurance industry, remains to be seen. 

I was notified this evening by my TA tonight of the change made by the Government of Canada consisting in removing the notice to avoid all cruises, and my final payment was due tomorrow. So the timing was perfect for us! 

Prior to the change, I was planning to purchase two insurances. One to cover the risk of the impact of a positive Covid test  prior to fly ( cancellation insurance) and one to cover the risk of a required isolation/flight change prior to return home, also due to a positive covid test. ( Quarantaine type of insurance).

The total cost of these two insurances was for me and my wife was $1200. Wanting to go on that cruise so badly, I was really happy to have that option.

But, following the change made by the government of Canada, I called the insurance provided by my credit card, and to insure the same risks, I only had to increase the basic coverage amount to cover the combined cost flight/cruise and the total cost for me and my wife is now $337. 

I feel like I won the lottery! I am just keeping my fingers crossed now, in the hope that world conditions will allow us to cruise in June. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

I was notified this evening by my TA tonight of the change made by the Government of Canada consisting in removing the notice to avoid all cruises, and my final payment was due tomorrow. So the timing was perfect for us! 

Prior to the change, I was planning to purchase two insurances. One to cover the risk of the impact of a positive Covid test  prior to fly ( cancellation insurance) and one to cover the risk of a required isolation/flight change prior to return home, also due to a positive covid test. ( Quarantaine type of insurance).

The total cost of these two insurances was for me and my wife was $1200. Wanting to go on that cruise so badly, I was really happy to have that option.

But, following the change made by the government of Canada, I called the insurance provided by my credit card, and to insure the same risks, I only had to increase the basic coverage amount to cover the combined cost flight/cruise and the total cost for me and my wife is now $337. 

I feel like I won the lottery! I am just keeping my fingers crossed now, in the hope that world conditions will allow us to cruise in June. 

What insurance company?

12 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

What insurance company?

Prior to the policy change by the Canadian Government, the only insurer that I found that would cover the risks of pre-cruise cancellation due to a positive test ( should such a test occurred between the 48 hours window of the Cruise with Confidence Program and the sailing time) and the risk of required isolation for the same reasons prior to return was ManuLife.

Following the governmental change, on my Desjardins World Elite Credit Card, all the cancellation, medical etc became insurable, including the risk of required isolation prior to the return flight. My included free insurance was for the amount of $2500 per person. To cover the cost of our cruise and flight, I only had to purchase an additional coverage for a supplement of $2500 person. 

You are likely not using Desjardins as a bank, however I know that other banks also offer the Mastercard Word Elite, so, I would suspect that the benefits are similar. 

I hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cachouonacruise said:

Prior to the policy change by the Canadian Government, the only insurer that I found that would cover the risks of pre-cruise cancellation due to a positive test ( should such a test occurred between the 48 hours window of the Cruise with Confidence Program and the sailing time) and the risk of required isolation for the same reasons prior to return was ManuLife.

Following the governmental change, on my Desjardins World Elite Credit Card, all the cancellation, medical etc became insurable, including the risk of required isolation prior to the return flight. My included free insurance was for the amount of $2500 per person. To cover the cost of our cruise and flight, I only had to purchase an additional coverage for a supplement of $2500 person. 

You are likely not using Desjardins as a bank, however I know that other banks also offer the Mastercard Word Elite, so, I would suspect that the benefits are similar. 

I hope this helps! 

Good information. I also discovered that TD travel insurance ( I have a travel infinite card) updated their website today and I believe, if I’m reading it right, they are now covering COVID related claims for both medical and trip cancellation/interruption as it relates to cruising. Previous to today, there was a paragraph stating that cruising was not covered. That paragraph has been deleted. I will call to confirm and then post the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Good information. I also discovered that TD travel insurance ( I have a travel infinite card) updated their website today and I believe, if I’m reading it right, they are now covering COVID related claims for both medical and trip cancellation/interruption as it relates to cruising. Previous to today, there was a paragraph stating that cruising was not covered. That paragraph has been deleted. I will call to confirm and then post the results.

Would be interested to know - I have the same card and they told me that if you BOOKED your trip during the travel advisory you are not covered for cancellation/interruption if it's caused by covid. My head is exploding trying to figure out travel insurance, despite 2 visa cards that would cover me normally.

I was excited to read these latest posts about insurance coverage. As it is a weekend, I will have to wait to call our company as this staff has weekends off. Just curious if you know the date the advisory was lifted because we just booked an Alaska cruise on Wednesday, March 9. Was it Feb 28, or just yesterday? 

3 hours ago, gubby said:

I was excited to read these latest posts about insurance coverage. As it is a weekend, I will have to wait to call our company as this staff has weekends off. Just curious if you know the date the advisory was lifted because we just booked an Alaska cruise on Wednesday, March 9. Was it Feb 28, or just yesterday? 

In the GOC news release for the March 7th announcement by the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, it stated, "The Government of Canada is adjusting travel advice for cruise ship travel and continues to advise travellers to proceed with caution."  Did not see any change to the "do not cruise outside of Canada" ban on the Advisory webpage that day.  The following day, I checked again and that is when I noticed under, Useful Links, the information in Post #1.  I can only surmise, that the removal of the "do not cruise outside of Canada" ban is effective with the March 7th announcement. 

I called my Desjardins Collective Insurance yesterday to see if an that I was looking at In April sailing was covered or if I needed to get an additional insurance and they confirmed me that I was now covered since advisory changed this week. 

Edited by daneault
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info re date of advisory lifting. If insurance companies go with booking date, we should be fine, as we bòoked on Mar. 9. I will get clarification when the office opens tomorrow. Because we did a late booking, I added cruise line cancellation at the time, so we could be over-insured. Better safe than sorry. After all the cancellations, both theirs and ours, of the past 2 years, we are chafing for this. It will also give us a chance to visit with family after we cruise. I am in cruise mode already.

I spent 2 1/2 hours between hold and buying top up insurance with my BMO world elite Allianz Insurance Company. After a lengthy conversation as to the needing the policy to be specific in regards to covid coverage with potential quarrantine on the policy, I made my purchase.

An hour later the e-mailed policy came. After reading the letter accompaning the policy where it clearly stated due to the Oct.21/21 Do Not Travel advisory being in place, we would not be covered for anything covid or cruise related, as we'd be sailing against the advice of the government.

I called Allianz back and spent another 2 hours on hold to be told by the guy that "No, you will not be covered as there is still an advisory in place". I asked where he was getting this info as it isn't on the travel.gc.ca website, and I'd like to know exactly what the advisory is at this time. He couldn't answer my question and just said if it had been cancelled then they would have been notified.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, (one had been consulted by the agent selling me the policy, prior to my purchase). He told me none were available and would have one call me in a day or two.

I cancelled the policy as MSC will not let me on the ship with a letter stating I don't have coverage.

I then spent some time going over every link in the canada.ca and travel.gc.ca website. Called numerous #'s trying to find out who could answer the question on the level of; or if there is; travel advisory in place. I was told several times it was lifted on 2/28/22 when all the advisories were lifted and revised. CBSA finally told me it is Global Affairs and gave me a # to call. I did get an email back from THIA saying there is no longer an advisory in place. 

The stupid part is that if I want to purchase a covid policy on line, from Allianz, I can, now. They weren't offering them prior.

Today, I'm going to try one more time for clarification from the government and attempt to reach the insurance company again to see if they have updated. If I don't have any luck, we'll go with Blue Cross as it's another $100 more than Allanz and they appear to know what is going on!

3 hours ago, juraspark said:

I spent 2 1/2 hours between hold and buying top up insurance with my BMO world elite Allianz Insurance Company. After a lengthy conversation as to the needing the policy to be specific in regards to covid coverage with potential quarrantine on the policy, I made my purchase.

An hour later the e-mailed policy came. After reading the letter accompaning the policy where it clearly stated due to the Oct.21/21 Do Not Travel advisory being in place, we would not be covered for anything covid or cruise related, as we'd be sailing against the advice of the government.

I called Allianz back and spent another 2 hours on hold to be told by the guy that "No, you will not be covered as there is still an advisory in place". I asked where he was getting this info as it isn't on the travel.gc.ca website, and I'd like to know exactly what the advisory is at this time. He couldn't answer my question and just said if it had been cancelled then they would have been notified.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, (one had been consulted by the agent selling me the policy, prior to my purchase). He told me none were available and would have one call me in a day or two.

I cancelled the policy as MSC will not let me on the ship with a letter stating I don't have coverage.

I then spent some time going over every link in the canada.ca and travel.gc.ca website. Called numerous #'s trying to find out who could answer the question on the level of; or if there is; travel advisory in place. I was told several times it was lifted on 2/28/22 when all the advisories were lifted and revised. CBSA finally told me it is Global Affairs and gave me a # to call. I did get an email back from THIA saying there is no longer an advisory in place. 

The stupid part is that if I want to purchase a covid policy on line, from Allianz, I can, now. They weren't offering them prior.

Today, I'm going to try one more time for clarification from the government and attempt to reach the insurance company again to see if they have updated. If I don't have any luck, we'll go with Blue Cross as it's another $100 more than Allanz and they appear to know what is going on!

Unbelievable. Just one question, I’m also trying to secure insurance for a MSC cruise and was wondering if you can now purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance through Blue Cross. I have my medical coverage through them but the other coverages were not available because of the travel advisory.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:33 AM, palushka said:

Would be interested to know - I have the same card and they told me that if you BOOKED your trip during the travel advisory you are not covered for cancellation/interruption if it's caused by covid. My head is exploding trying to figure out travel insurance, despite 2 visa cards that would cover me normally.

I called TD Visa and got the same response. I am absolutely fuming. I can’t figure out the rationale behind that decision. I’m also pissed that US residents don’t need insurance to cruise on MSC, but Canadians do. I’m done with MSC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I called TD Visa and got the same response. I am absolutely fuming. I can’t figure out the rationale behind that decision. I’m also pissed that US residents don’t need insurance to cruise on MSC, but Canadians do. I’m done with MSC.

The good news is that by April 1 we won't need a covid test to enter Canada. That's a huge relief - ie the interruption/cancellation isn't as big an issue. Medical is obviously. I hear you about MSC though.

We are over 65 so, unfortunately, credit card medical coverage is no longer available to us.  We are going on a 14 night Alaska cruise May 25th.  We bought ManuLife total coverage and were advised that IF the Government advisory was cancelled we'd be covered with the current policy.  If the advice against cruise travel was still in effect, we would have to upgrade the coverage to include COVID related illness.  Two of our three concerns are now cleared, we just need Princess to not require a PCR test.  If that doesn't change at least we'll be able to get it at home before we fly to Vancouver for boarding.

1 hour ago, Senga said:

We are over 65 so, unfortunately, credit card medical coverage is no longer available to us.  We are going on a 14 night Alaska cruise May 25th.  We bought ManuLife total coverage and were advised that IF the Government advisory was cancelled we'd be covered with the current policy.  If the advice against cruise travel was still in effect, we would have to upgrade the coverage to include COVID related illness.  Two of our three concerns are now cleared, we just need Princess to not require a PCR test.  If that doesn't change at least we'll be able to get it at home before we fly to Vancouver for boarding.

Yea, that makes sense. Don’t know why TD punishes you for booking (not cruising) during a travel advisory.

9 hours ago, palushka said:

The good news is that by April 1 we won't need a covid test to enter Canada. That's a huge relief - ie the interruption/cancellation isn't as big an issue. Medical is obviously. I hear you about MSC though.

Is it confirmed that Covid testing will not be required to re-enter Canada as of April 1, 2022? Is it only valid when returning from the U.S or also from international destinations? Can you let me know where you found that information?