Door-to-Door executive Transfer process

WesW

To help inform Silversea cruise critics on the Door-to-Door procedures, thought I would share what I learned today.

About 25 days out Silversea sends you an email explaining how the Blacklane Executive Transfer works.  Our voyage is the Silver Dawn maiden voyage April 1st-April 18th.  

When you open an account and log in Blacklane's website gives you a window to book your complementary rides. For our Silver Dawn voyage, Blacklane allows me to book rides from Mar 18th and returning by May 2.  Appears from their booking pages, the rides offered are either a Mercedes 320 (3 guests, 2 bags) or a Mercedes Sprinter van (5 Guests, 5 Bags). 

Hope this helps.

Dear WesW 

Your all-inclusive Silversea cruise is approaching and it's time to book your complimentary private executive transfers! This complimentary service powered by Blacklane is included in your booking as part of the Silversea all-inclusive offer.

This offer includes return private executive transfers to and from your domestic airport.

Please note the private executive transfer service is available for distances of up to 52 miles (80 km) each way. For longer distances, special tariffs apply.

To book your private chauffeur and select your pick-up and drop-off addresses, simply follow the steps below:

• Go to the website: silversea.blacklane.com
  • Use this email to claim your transfer
  • Create your account by entering your details, such as last name, first name, phone number and a password of your choice

Blacklane operates in 50+ countries globally. To check if your departure and arrival airport is serviced, check on Blacklane website.

For more information, feel free to browse our FAQs. To receive live assistance while booking, why not initiate a chat by selecting the chat bubble in the bottom right-hand corner of Blacklane booking website. For less urgent inquiries write to service@blacklane.com. Please note all transfers are booked and arranged by Blacklane directly and not by Silversea, so please do not hesitate to reach out directly to Blacklane in the event of any issues.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann
Chief Commercial Officer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Yes, was stumped too--got through the first few pages on the backlane site but could not confirm booking, believe because they won't be hot/live until March 18 (when our booking window opens) and ends May 2

Tuscon, I'm in the same boat (so to speak). Blacklane doesn't service my local airport, and I would have welcomed the early morning ride. 

Does anyone know how the credit works? Is it OBC? FCC? Refund?

35 minutes ago, Unibok said:

Tuscon, I'm in the same boat (so to speak). Blacklane doesn't service my local airport, and I would have welcomed the early morning ride. 

Does anyone know how the credit works? Is it OBC? FCC? Refund?

Unibok:

When you find the answer, please post it here. Thanks.

Jim

You ask for the credit to be applied to your balance before you make your final payment. 
I asked why it wasn’t just applied to the initial quote but was told that it didn’t work that way. Seems absurdly over complicated to add the ‘benefit’ only to subtract it again, especially since Blacklane doesn’t serve an awful lot of airports. Mine included. 
IMO it’s just a wombat but somehow SS makes money from it ???

Edited by jollyjones

Just checked the site to be sure we are covered for LHR next March and it would appear we are. With the suggestion the free limit is 52 miles, we've just scrapped in with a 50 mile journey door to T5. Happy days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, les37b said:

Just checked the site to be sure we are covered for LHR next March and it would appear we are. With the suggestion the free limit is 52 miles, we've just scrapped in with a 50 mile journey door to T5. Happy days.

We are 70 miles to our nearest airport. I looked at the website but without logging on I couldn’t see how much we would have to pay for the additional 36 miles round trip. Does it tell you what the excess mileage rate on the website? Thanks 

Hi Les37b & tiggertom.

I have investigated the add on cost as I am taking a Roundtrip Cruise from Southampton. I am advised that the added mileage will currently be £3 per Mile ( this is subject to change when the actual date arrives i.e. September ).

This Service is therefore not suitable for us in the above Scenario as the additional Cost is more than I can achieve with a trusted Local Supplier.

I hope this is useful.

We got the email from Blacklane yesterday for our April 1 cruise on the Dawn. I was able to book and  the pick ups from home pre-cruise and the airport post-cruise. We booked the SUV for our 2 pax and 3 bags plus carry on. We are about 70 miles from JFK airport and the booking and the booking confirmations indicate no charge.

14 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s just a credit off your invoice when you book your cruise.

Hmmm ... the cruise was booked and paid for long ago ... we'll see what my SS rep says.  Jim, I'll let you know! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

Hmmm ... the cruise was booked and paid for long ago ... we'll see what my SS rep says.  Jim, I'll let you know! 

My city is not on Blacklane's list. My TA called Silversea who said, yes it was. And that if it wasn't they would figure something else out. And if they couldn't we'd get a refund.

From my TA's email to me:

"I talked to Sergio at Silversea, he was under the impression that it is offered for [my airport].  If not, he said that Silversea will work to come up with an alternate company.  Lastly, if nothing works, Silversea would refund $100 per person—up to 5 days prior to your trip (at your request)."

As with  @Unibok, The final balance is has been long paid. How they can credit my balance at this point is beyond me.

Edited by RELS

Am I alone in thinking this "door-to-door" thing is little more than a gimmick? And not just because of the limited numbers who qualify for the ground transport from/to home (£3 per mile excess charge? Get real) but the nonsense of the disproportionate cost of D2D compared with P2P and the included excursions. 

I'm sorry, SS, but until you get your act together and offer proper value we shall remain on 201 days sailed and take our custom elsewhere. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Am I alone in thinking this "door-to-door" thing is little more than a gimmick?

I agree to an extent.  Even though we qualify easily (30 miles from IAH), I'd just as soon get myself to and home from our home airport.  However, I do want the transfers on the other end.  I thought that, at one time, they offered that intermediate service at a decent value.  I don't know that it's there at all anymore.  You either go in for the whole package or you're on your own until you're on board and then on your own again after you step off the ship.

26 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I agree to an extent.  Even though we qualify easily (30 miles from IAH), I'd just as soon get myself to and home from our home airport.  However, I do want the transfers on the other end.  I thought that, at one time, they offered that intermediate service at a decent value.  I don't know that it's there at all anymore.  You either go in for the whole package or you're on your own until you're on board and then on your own again after you step off the ship.

We always did it the latter way. Air miles, hotel points and uber proving waaaay less expensive. 

1 minute ago, Tothesunset said:

We always did it the latter way. Air miles, hotel points and uber proving waaaay less expensive. 

Indeed.  We went ahead and did "door-to-door" for our sailing next month because we had bonus FCC we needed to use or lose.

Query whether SS ever did a study about how many of their customers live within 50 miles of an airport of any sort, much less an airport served by Blacklane.  My rough guess is that more than half of SS customers cannot avail themselves of this service.  

In a perfect business plan, Blacklane should  eventually subcontract with other transfer companies in smaller markets, but maybe they just bit off more than they could chew with this deal.

• Like 1