When will GOC drop the mandate for pre-arrival tests completely??

Labber 2

This is the one barrier that is holding the my brother and his family in limbo from our cruise which sets sail on 19th March from the Port of LA. Their concern is having to remain in LA post cruise if they test positive. Fortunately they purchased Princess Vacation protection, so if they do cancel within the next few days, they will get a FCC. They are holding on as long as possible, just in case this mandate is announced it will change before 26th March, which would be when we are scheduled to return to port of LA after 7 days in Mexico. I'm not feeling too hopeful right now. So bummed. 

Edited by Labber 2

• Labber 2 changed the title to When will GOC drop the mandate for pre-arrival tests completely??

There has been nothing indicating that such a significant change is about to take place. Moreover, with the sad situation in Ukraine demanding the government's full attention, I doubt that a decision of this magnitude would be made in the near future. If the current regulations governing pre-entry testing are unacceptable for your brother and his family, I suspect that they'll be taking advantage of the FCC offer from Princess. 

I'm sure you are right. Understandably the government's focus is Ukraine. They will make their decision within the next few days.

And whatever they decide, I support them 100%. I know there are many cruisers with the same concern. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Labber 2 said:

This is the one barrier that is holding the my brother and his family in limbo from our cruise which sets sail on 19th March from the Port of LA. Their concern is having to remain in LA post cruise if they test positive. Fortunately they purchased Princess Vacation protection, so if they do cancel within the next few days, they will get a FCC. They are holding on as long as possible, just in case this mandate is announced it will change before 26th March, which would be when we are scheduled to return to port of LA after 7 days in Mexico. I'm not feeling too hopeful right now. So bummed. 

I don't know if it could help, but a Canadian Insurance company offers a Covid insurance program which would cover, in case of a positive test prior to return home, up to $200 per person ($400 per couple) for hotel and incidentals, for a period of 14 days and up to $500 to cover the change of flight cost. This insurance would have cost my wife and I, $192 CDN in total.  So, if the unplanned extended time period away is not a factor, that insurance could help your family travel with peace of mind. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cachouonacruise said:

I don't know if it could help, but a Canadian Insurance company offers a Covid insurance program which would cover, in case of a positive test prior to return home, up to $200 per person ($400 per couple) for hotel and incidentals, for a period of 14 days and up to $500 to cover the change of flight cost. This insurance would have cost my wife and I, $192 CDN in total.  So, if the unplanned extended time period away is not a factor, that insurance could help your family travel with peace of mind. 

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately for them  it's not so much as the cost of staying as it is the problem of being away an additional 11 days,  which I completely understand.  I have purchased the insurance you mentioned, just in case. So i feel well covered! I'll be traveling solo this time, my husband is unable to join me. If I  have to stay to quarantine it's not really a problem, as it's just me. Except maybe alittle boredom though!  lol. 

Edited by Labber 2
  • Like 1

Over the last few days there have been rumours floating around about possible changes or elimination of pre-departure testing requirements around March 31-April 1. Most notably on one of the big Toronto based travel deal Facebook groups. 

But personally I'm not ready to believe it. And am still planning for the current rules to continue for the forseeable future. 

Edited by cmich068
  • Thanks 1

A TA I know has advised her clients that the Government may remove the Covid test requirement on April 1st.  I won’t believe it until I hear it from the Government but this same TA mentioned the change to a Rapid Antigen test from a PCR test about 2 weeks before the Government announced it.  

I’m scheduled to return to Canada on April 1st and am planning on needing a test until I hear otherwise.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RickT said:

A TA I know has advised her clients that the Government may remove the Covid test requirement on April 1st.  I won’t believe it until I hear it from the Government but this same TA mentioned the change to a Rapid Antigen test from a PCR test about 2 weeks before the Government announced it.  

I’m scheduled to return to Canada on April 1st and am planning on needing a test until I hear otherwise.  

I don’t it will be drop until the US changes it rules for testing 

42 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I don’t it will be drop until the US changes it rules for testing 

I read yesterday that the states "might" do away with mask wearing on flights, trains and public transit in mid-April.  I believe that is the renewal date of that mandate. Not sure how/if US entry testing would coincide with the dropping of masking on transit, but the mid April sounds like another stepping stone date in the States. 

8 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Over the last few days there have been rumours floating around about possible changes or elimination of pre-departure testing requirements around March 31-April 1. Most notably on one of the big Toronto based travel deal Facebook groups. 

But personally I'm not ready to believe it. And am still planning for the current rules to continue for the forseeable future. 

59 minutes ago, RickT said:

Wait a second..... April 1st?  We all know what date that is. 😉😀

• Haha 7

Just now, A&L_Ont said:

Wait a second..... April 1st?  We all know what date that is. 😉😀

That's pretty much what I was thinking.  Sort of like reinstituting last year's travel rules every groundhog day.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There has been nothing indicating that such a significant change is about to take place.

I agree. Other than a few people posting the April 1st date on this thread, I have no reason to believe that this is ending any time soon. 

For whatever reason I personally don't see national mandates dropping until all the provincial ones have.  NWT and NVT, as of now, have mask mandates going into April.  However those could be dropped as quick as BC's did, from being mandated yesterday to not at all today with a few obvious exemptions such as LTC.  As of now, more provinces will be dropping their mask mandates in days with Ontario to follow on the 21st.  

Like I say about anything related to the pandemic, it will be a wait and see.

• Like 1

I found this article:

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/buzz/border-testing-decimating-business-travel-says-roundtable-possible-announcement-coming-days

And then the tweet they reference:

English:

The Trudeau government will announce new border relief in the coming days  We are talking about the end of the tests (PCR or antigenic) required to enter Canada. The entry into force is not determined, but it will be in the next few weeks #polcan

27 minutes ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

I found this article:

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/buzz/border-testing-decimating-business-travel-says-roundtable-possible-announcement-coming-days

And then the tweet they reference:

English:

The Trudeau government will announce new border relief in the coming days  We are talking about the end of the tests (PCR or antigenic) required to enter Canada. The entry into force is not determined, but it will be in the next few weeks #polcan

I always wonder at stuff like this. How much is a true reflection of probable action and how much is an attempt at developing an expectation in hopes of forcing an action.

Just now, broberts said:

I always wonder at stuff like this. How much is a true reflection of probable action and how much is an attempt at developing an expectation in hopes of forcing an action.

Well, any progression we have had as a country is due to pressures. It isn't because the Govt wants us traveling again.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If the GOC intends to eliminate entry testing on April 1st as some are suggesting, it begs the question as to why they would have bothered implementing antigen testing and other changes for just a one month period. And if they knew that they were going to eliminate testing altogether, a perfect time to announce it would have been during the introduction of the cruise protocols for Canada earlier this week. While I'd love to see testing gone, I remain skeptical that it will disappear within the next 3  weeks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RickT said:

That would be great news !

13 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There has been nothing indicating that such a significant change is about to take place. Moreover, with the sad situation in Ukraine demanding the government's full attention, I doubt that a decision of this magnitude would be made in the near future. If the current regulations governing pre-entry testing are unacceptable for your brother and his family, I suspect that they'll be taking advantage of the FCC offer from Princess. 

I wouldn't say that the Ukraine situation takes all the government's attention.  Sure it's a key issue, but the government has a Cabinet of about 40 people and a professional public service of ~300,000.  I suspect the reality is that they want to get through March break most likely and see if any new waves become imminent and then further lessening of restrictions is likely.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear both Canada and US dropping requirements soon, at least for their own citizens.

• Like 7

I personally think that article is wishful thinking.  As much as I hope the testing requirements are dropped (even perhaps only between the US and Canada) I cannot see it happening as early as April 1.  Just not enough political upside to that decision yet (of course most of these decisions have little to do with 'public health' and more to do with politics).  Especially given the measures just recently changed.  

We are headed to Las Vegas from Apr 4 to 11 and I fully expect to need an antigen to return and I am planning as such.  With that said I won't be ordering my Switch Health kits for a while yet just in case there is a shift.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, edrussell said:

I personally think that article is wishful thinking.  As much as I hope the testing requirements are dropped (even perhaps only between the US and Canada) I cannot see it happening as early as April 1.  Just not enough political upside to that decision yet (of course most of these decisions have little to do with 'public health' and more to do with politics).  Especially given the measures just recently changed.  

We are headed to Las Vegas from Apr 4 to 11 and I fully expect to need an antigen to return and I am planning as such.  With that said I won't be ordering my Switch Health kits for a while yet just in case there is a shift.

I agree. 
We will be travelling back April 3rd so it would be really nice and a lot less stress for me.   But I'm not counting on it.  I did buy my SwitchHealth kits.  I still wouldn't mind. 

I am sure the Govt is looking at places like Great Britain to see how allowing Vaccinated Travelers in without a test has been going. Not enough data as its only been 3 weeks but I would think sometime in April is realistic that at least vaccinated travelers ( air and land at least ) will not require a test if all has gone well in Britain. I hope that would be true for Cruise ship passengers as well but I am not as optimistic as its not as politically sensitive.

Edited by LeDemonBlond
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dolfan1980 said:

I wouldn't say that the Ukraine situation takes all the government's attention.  Sure it's a key issue, but the government has a Cabinet of about 40 people and a professional public service of ~300,000.  

True enough, but the Cabinet Ministers, departments and agencies most involved with the entry testing and related regulations also have a large part to play in the Ukrainian situation, in particular with respect to the pending arrival of refugees in Canada.  

• Like 1