Texting with Internet Package

runner2013

Hi all, 

We have the wifi/ medallionet  package for our upcoming cruise and were wondering if that allows you to text others sailing with you if they have it as well? I was on a cruise in Jan and never had the need to text my bf so I honestly don't know if that is a feature.   We used the internet and ordered room service etc without issue but texting never seemed to come up.

Thanks

If you have iphones you will be able to use iMessage.  If you don't have an apple device then you would need to use a 3rd party app like whatsapp for messaging.  The MedallionClass app has messaging, but it is not worth using IMO since there is no notification when a message is received.

• Like 4

Yes, the built in messaging in the app has been useless for almost 4 years now...way before the pandemic.  We were on one of the first sailings when Medallion Net was rolled...even before they had stripped out all of the functionality from the main website.  We wasted a LOT of time fooling around with the app and asking questions at the Internet Cafe before they *finally* admitted that there was no active notifications available.  Really?  And it's STILL like that?

My suggestion. Since you have the wifi package, and assuming you have wifi calling capabilities. Keep your phone on airplane mode then connect to wifi. You should be able to make calls and send texts (or iMessages) without getting a huge cell bill. We did this on our last cruise in December between myself, hubby, our 2 sons and 2 of my friends who were with us as well as communicating with those back at home.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, runner2013 said:

Hi all, 

We have the wifi/ medallionet  package for our upcoming cruise and were wondering if that allows you to text others sailing with you if they have it as well? I was on a cruise in Jan and never had the need to text my bf so I honestly don't know if that is a feature.   We used the internet and ordered room service etc without issue but texting never seemed to come up.

Thanks

Put your phone in airplane mode, connect to the Princess network and then text them using Facebook Messenger or track their whereabouts using the app.

• Like 2

I have an iphone and had zero issues texting our friends on the Regal a week ago but we both have iPhones.  My husband does not and used WhatsApp to “text” back and forth with us while on the ship.  He also texted his partner is Austria just like he does at home using the app without issues. 

• Like 1

iMessage, WhatsApp, and FB Messenger all work.  We tried Shipmate Chat in the Medallion app again while on the Regal last month and it still doesn't have notifications enabled.   So unless you want to keep checking it on the off chance that sent a message to you would recommend another option.  We mostly used FB Messenger since all of our traveling partners did not have iPhones.

• Like 1

Whether you have an Android smartphone or an iPhone, you should be able to message others on Google Chat (formerly known as "Hangouts") as long as you have wi-fi service.  If you enable notifications on your phone, you will know when someone sends you a message.

19 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

Put your phone in airplane mode, connect to the Princess network and then text them using Facebook Messenger or track their whereabouts using the app.

I forgot about Facebook Messenger. I like that option 

19 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I have an iphone and had zero issues texting our friends on the Regal a week ago but we both have iPhones.  My husband does not and used WhatsApp to “text” back and forth with us while on the ship.  He also texted his partner is Austria just like he does at home using the app without issues. 

Baby steps please… If we have iPhones how do we text without being charged while on the ship?  I usually just use my medallion app and track everybody down ha ha. Texting would be so much easier.  Thank you!  

3 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Baby steps please… If we have iPhones how do we text without being charged while on the ship?  I usually just use my medallion app and track everybody down ha ha. Texting would be so much easier.  Thank you!  

If you have an iPhone you can text another iPhone just like you were at home.  Make sure your phone is in airplane mode and you are connected to the ships wifi.  When I was recently on the Regal I was shocked when I got a text.  (from another iPhone).  I used that and also FaceTime (but only to other iPhones).  I sent a group text which included someone with an Android.  That person never received it but the iPhone person got it.