Dog at Dining Table & Skunk Pot on Balcony common issues?

99.9% of service animals are not service animals. I hope they keep up the charade and end up getting the laws changed to seeing eye dogs only. All the rest is BS, don't care what anyone says. All the rest is blah, blah, blah, stay home if you're so fragile that you can't exist without carrying a pet around. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Everyone knows it and you guys aren't fooling anyone.    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

99.9% of service animals are not service animals. I hope they keep up the charade and end up getting the laws changed to seeing eye dogs only. All the rest is BS, don't care what anyone says. All the rest is blah, blah, blah, stay home if you're so fragile that you can't exist without carrying a pet around. It's beyond ridiculous at this point. Everyone knows it and you guys aren't fooling anyone.    

Couldn’t agree with you more. 

7 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Apparently you don’t know or have ever heard of a non-blind wheel chair bound paraplegic who relies on their service  dog for their daily functions of life.  

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Apparently you don’t know or have ever heard of a non-blind wheel chair bound paraplegic who relies on their service  dog for their daily functions of life.  

OK, I'll bite, educate me. What daily functions does the dog provide that the person couldn't do for themselves?

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

Is it time to post this?

absurdly colored dog on Freedom.jpg

Unfortunately, the puppy we sold to a family who trained it to be their young daughter's medical alert service dog, often dies it to look like a unicorn.  It is most often rainbow colored, often wearing a pink tutu and sporting a unicorn horn on it's forehead.  It is a serious service dog but also a little girl's service dog.

1 minute ago, cruisingguy007 said:

OK, I'll bite, educate me. What daily functions does the dog provide that the person couldn't do for themselves?

you can bite if you want, your ignorance doesn't deserve a response, other than this, and it is not my job to educate the un-educatable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:24 PM, reallyitsmema said:

Was it a tea cup yorkie in a dress?  That dog is on Anthem a bunch.  Can be seen in a stroller with a blanket over it like you would for a little baby.  Can also be seen sitting on a lounge chair in the Solarium.

I've seen that, too.  Older couple parading around the ship.

I don't get it.  It's clearly not a service animal (at least no service recognized as legitimate).  I've not seen this on any other cruise line other than Royal.  And, I've seen this couple with their dog more than once on a cruise.  Apparently, they're still sailing with it, too.

I love dogs.  I have had an emotional attachment to every one of them I've had...including the rescue I now have.  So, just having an emotional attachment to an animal does not qualify it as a service animal.

What gives, Royal?

3 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I will always oblige when a person requests to be educated.  Here are a few summaries you might like to think about...

Mobility assistance dogs can open doors for those in wheelchairs, manipulate light switches and pick up objects off the ground or retrieve them from other spots. Individuals with limited mobility may need the dog to help switch from their wheelchair to another position, like their bed or a toilet. Dogs can also unload laundry from the dryer. Some other capabilities of service dogs are paying cashiers, pressing handicapped accessible buttons and pressing elevator buttons.

People with epilepsy have service dogs who are trained to alert their human partner before a seizure occurs which helps prevent injury during a seizure. Seizure alert dogs have an innate ability to detect the onset of a seizure. When they sense an imminent seizure, the dogs give their owners a signal like pawing, pacing, intense staring or placing their head or nose on their owner. During a seizure, service dogs will lie down close to the person having the seizure. If the alert is seen in time, individuals with epilepsy can prepare themselves and get to somewhere safe, such as on a soft surface or on the floor, before the seizure happens. After the seizure is over, the dog may go and seek additional help if it’s needed.

For individuals with disabilities that cause fatigue, pain, trouble walking, or limited mobility, service dogs can help! Like the mobility tasks for wheelchair users, service dogs can also help people regain balance and prevent falling. The dog can carry items if the individual is too weak to move or hold them. Because service dogs are allowed by law in public places for the benefit of their owners, this means they can perform these assistive tasks in the grocery store, on the sidewalk and other public areas. Using a service dog for balance can help when unstable walking and stumbling occur. Service dogs are trained for various bracing maneuvers to prevent falls, provide secure footing after making a difficult move and recover control.

Medical Alert Service Dogs also are trained to alert their human partners that a diabetic incident is coming, that a TIA is coming, and can help their partners prevent injuries by anticipating an oncoming medical event through their sense of smell.  Hearing Service Dogs are trained to alert their Deaf partners to sounds such as doorbells, door knocks, smoke alarms, glass breaking, babies crying, people yelling, horns honking, thunder, tornado and other weather warning sirens, and many other environmental and home sounds too numerous to mention.

These summaries are not exhaustive.  You can further your own education using any search tool online.  Thank you for asking to be educated!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Or a diabetic that depends on a dog to detect a bad blood sugar level on the person's breath.

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Or a diabetic that depends on a dog to detect a bad blood sugar level on the person's breath.

As has been covered many times, you don't need a dog for that. There are plenty of accurate blood sugar monitoring devices available, even ones that connect to a smart phone app. And if I'm not mistaken, there are even insulin devices that can also connect to the same app, such that the whole process can be performed automatically for the user.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

I will always oblige when a person requests to be educated.  Here are a few summaries you might like to think about...

Mobility assistance dogs can open doors for those in wheelchairs, manipulate light switches and pick up objects off the ground or retrieve them from other spots. Individuals with limited mobility may need the dog to help switch from their wheelchair to another position, like their bed or a toilet. Dogs can also unload laundry from the dryer. Some other capabilities of service dogs are paying cashiers, pressing handicapped accessible buttons and pressing elevator buttons.

People with epilepsy have service dogs who are trained to alert their human partner before a seizure occurs which helps prevent injury during a seizure. Seizure alert dogs have an innate ability to detect the onset of a seizure. When they sense an imminent seizure, the dogs give their owners a signal like pawing, pacing, intense staring or placing their head or nose on their owner. During a seizure, service dogs will lie down close to the person having the seizure. If the alert is seen in time, individuals with epilepsy can prepare themselves and get to somewhere safe, such as on a soft surface or on the floor, before the seizure happens. After the seizure is over, the dog may go and seek additional help if it’s needed.

For individuals with disabilities that cause fatigue, pain, trouble walking, or limited mobility, service dogs can help! Like the mobility tasks for wheelchair users, service dogs can also help people regain balance and prevent falling. The dog can carry items if the individual is too weak to move or hold them. Because service dogs are allowed by law in public places for the benefit of their owners, this means they can perform these assistive tasks in the grocery store, on the sidewalk and other public areas. Using a service dog for balance can help when unstable walking and stumbling occur. Service dogs are trained for various bracing maneuvers to prevent falls, provide secure footing after making a difficult move and recover control.

Medical Alert Service Dogs also are trained to alert their human partners that a diabetic incident is coming, that a TIA is coming, and can help their partners prevent injuries by anticipating an oncoming medical event through their sense of smell.  Hearing Service Dogs are trained to alert their Deaf partners to sounds such as doorbells, door knocks, smoke alarms, glass breaking, babies crying, people yelling, horns honking, thunder, tornado and other weather warning sirens, and many other environmental and home sounds too numerous to mention.

These summaries are not exhaustive.  You can further your own education using any search tool online.  Thank you for asking to be educated!

Great info!  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

As has been covered many times, you don't need a dog for that. There are plenty of accurate blood sugar monitoring devices available, even ones that connect to a smart phone app. And if I'm not mistaken, there are even insulin devices that can also connect to the same app, such that the whole process can be performed automatically for the user.

Yes, but you may not realize that many of these devices monitor something that is stuck into the person.   Some require that the part that enters the body be changed to a new position every week or two.  My experience is limited to one friend and her lifelong fight against juvenile onset diabetes.  Because of her brittle status, she has not found any monitor more effective than her specially trained dog.  Even the insulin pump she tried for a few years did not work as well as the dog due to the constant need to move the needle it relied upon.  She had to spend a month in Colorado at the training facility to work with her partner dog. 

YMMV with diabetes and the diabetic persons you know as there are many different needs, depending on the individual, the type and severity of the disease, the age of onset, etc.

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ryano said:

I was talking about the people at the Hilton.   FL isnt doing much at all to people who smoke weed in public, especially if they have a medical card 

Also legal with a card in Maryland.

But still not legally Federally and in many other countries.

4 hours ago, cured said:

Uif Royal Caribbean or any other business has determined that the dog in question is a legit service dog, then you have no say whether the dog is at the table or not.  You can complain all your want, but unless the dog is being fed by the handler from the table, or is being unruly such as barking, growling or snapping, a legit service dog has every right to be there.

a.  RCI has not determined that is a legit service dog.

b.  If you read, the dog people are complaining about IS being fed from the table and being allowed to eat directly for a plate on the table.

c.  See a, that point is, it is NOT a legit service dog.  A legit service down must be on the floor or in the person's arms.  Not on in a stroller.  The dog in question is also left in the cabin in the evenings while the owner does other things.  Hmm, a service dog that you only need part of the time?

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:52 PM, mrg0433 said:

We just returned from back to back cruises on Brillance of the Seas.  First half was great.  However, we had an issue with the woman at the table next to ours when she had her dog in her lap sitting upright as my food was being carried past her and her dog--  DH described it as a rat with fur.   Not an appealing sight while you are eating.  We left our meal and headed to guest services.    Had no interest in a repeat incident so we ate at the buffet remainder of the cruise.    Thankfully it was the second half of our back to back 5 night cruises on Brillance.  

29 minutes ago, SRF said:

a.  RCI has not determined that is a legit service dog.

b.  If you read, the dog people are complaining about IS being fed from the table and being allowed to eat directly for a plate on the table.

c.  See a, that point is, it is NOT a legit service dog.  A legit service down must be on the floor or in the person's arms.  Not on in a stroller.  The dog in question is also left in the cabin in the evenings while the owner does other things.  Hmm, a service dog that you only need part of the time?

I did read, thank you very much. I was referring to the dog in the OP, where she at no point mentions the dog being fed from the table, only that the dog was sitting in her lap as the OP's food went by.

42 minutes ago, foxgoodrich said:

Yes, but you may not realize that many of these devices monitor something that is stuck into the person.   Some require that the part that enters the body be changed to a new position every week or two.  My experience is limited to one friend and her lifelong fight against juvenile onset diabetes.  Because of her brittle status, she has not found any monitor more effective than her specially trained dog.  Even the insulin pump she tried for a few years did not work as well as the dog due to the constant need to move the needle it relied upon.  She had to spend a month in Colorado at the training facility to work with her partner dog. 

YMMV with diabetes and the diabetic persons you know as there are many different needs, depending on the individual, the type and severity of the disease, the age of onset, etc.

That's fine if she wants to use a dog in her "normal" life, but even the reasons you list doesn't preclude her from using medical devices for limited periods of time, like on a cruise.

And I don't know her or how she interacts with her dog or how it behaves. Maybe it's along the lines of a professional service dog, and that would be perfectly acceptable, and I'd probably not even notice. But if it's on her lap, with dyed fur and a frilly dress, and she's playing with it and feeding it from her plate, then it's a pet, and I will have nothing but contempt for her.

• Like 4

Can someone who has cruised please share a picture of a dog next to them at a table wearing clothes and eating off of a plate?  Because either Im oblivious to my fellow man and completely missing these pets while cruising or they never witnessed it and are just chiming in because they feel the need to preach.  Not an internet picture because we all can do that.  YOUR picture.  Why am I asking?  Because I think most of the pearl clutchers have never actually seen this and just want to complain to the manager.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

Can someone who has cruised please share a picture of a dog next to them at a table wearing clothes and eating off of a plate?  Because either Im oblivious to my fellow man and completely missing these pets while cruising or they never witnessed it and are just chiming in because they feel the need to preach.  Not an internet picture because we all can do that.  YOUR picture.  Why am I asking?  Because I think most of the pearl clutchers have never actually seen this and just want to complain to the manager.

I didn’t take a picture, but I have seen it happen.  It was at cafe promenade.  So not the mdr but still a place where people eat.  On this trip, the owners were always seemingly seeking attention with the dog.  My daughter wanted pet the dog and these folks were encouraging kids to pet the dog all week we saw them.  That doesn’t seem like a service dog scenario to me.  But I’m sure I will get corrected soon.  

12 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

I did not take pictures, but I've seen this dog dressed up and in the stroller in the MDR. My only comment about it eating at the table was that I would excuse myself and ask to be moved if it was happening at my table or next to me. I've not personally witnessed it 

5 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

That's fine if she wants to use a dog in her "normal" life, but even the reasons you list doesn't preclude her from using medical devices for limited periods of time, like on a cruise.

And I don't know her or how she interacts with her dog or how it behaves. Maybe it's along the lines of a professional service dog, and that would be perfectly acceptable, and I'd probably not even notice. But if it's on her lap, with dyed fur and a frilly dress, and she's playing with it and feeding it from her plate, then it's a pet, and I will have nothing but contempt for her.

My friend, age 64, due to her lifelong struggle with juvenile onset diabetes, has never had the experience of a "normal" life as you put it.  Her small professional service dog is a poodle,  trained for 12 months at a formal and specialized medical alert training facility, then trained with her for an additional month.  You most likely would never recognize him as a poodle since he has an allover buzz cut, not a poodle cut.

He is worn in a special medical alert service harness on her chest most of the time - similar to a "snuggly carrier" that people carry newborns in.  At times when she is sitting, he is in her lap when the harness doesn't work for the situation or a shoulder seat belt must be worn.  He is trained to ignore food on a plate or a table, he will only accept being fed a dog bone or treat from her hand when he is on the floor at home, and eats and drinks from dog bowl on the floor.

Clearly you don't know what the term "brittle" means as it applies to diabetics, nor do you understand professional service dogs.  Most people with profound medical disability issues cannot take a week off for a cruise and change their treatment protocols, as you so glibly suggest.  You could at least listen to or read the disclaimers that follow those glossy TV commercials that you are watching.

I can see from your post that you are no stranger to contempt and gain a lot of info from TV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lot of people are diabetics and make it just fine without having to take a dog on cruise or to a restaurant. Blood Glucose meters are basically free when you buy strips. Pretending a dog is the only way to get on with life is disingenuous at best.  

• Like 1