New to O. Considering Insignia

PaulaJK

Since it is departing from NYC for a 7 day July cruise. We are  Crystal refugees and recent RSSC cruisers.

We understand that this will be different. Would appreciate comments re: recent experiences, especially

w regard to cuisine and entertainment. I read the O Choice offer…but are there alot of charges for

other services ( of course, don’t mean spa) Thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, PaulaJK said:

Since it is departing from NYC for a 7 day July cruise. We are  Crystal refugees and recent RSSC cruisers.

We understand that this will be different. Would appreciate comments re: recent experiences, especially

w regard to cuisine and entertainment. I read the O Choice offer…but are there alot of charges for

Not sure what charges you are referring to..

Gratuities are usually paid and the only other thing to pay for is liquor..if you drink a lot you can take the liquor package..

Please let us know what charges you mean

Jancruz1

Not sure what charges you are refering 

• Like 1

PaulaJK,

First, as a C refugee, welcome. We have not been on Insignia since June 2018 when we were on an Around the World segment but you should love her as you undoubtedly like the smaller, luxury ships.  No go kart tracks or rock walls 🤪 

IMHO, a 7 day cruise is tooooo short, you are barely getting an opportunity to wind down on the stresses of life.  Definitely consider a B2B. You will only have two Specialty dining reservations available unless you are in a PH or above and we would hope you are.  More options as you move up the room ladder.

Probably your biggest difference will be the fact that O is not All Inclusive but you do have options available to accomplish AI and I am sure your TA can handle your desires. Just enjoy the Finest Cuisine at Sea..

Ditto Jan

Mauibabes 

• Like 3

On the pro side, compared to what you will remember from Crystal, is definitely the food which is equal to or better overall. As noted, though, just two specialty restaurants on the smaller Oceania ships. We like Oceania but I will point out primary disadvantages of the smaller Oceania ships is the extremely small bathrooms in all cabins except PH or above. Also,, you will find much lower quality of entertainment and enrichment programs as well as high charges for shore excursions and booze. Also (although there are exceptions), overall a less customer focused, more stand offish crew. Doesn't mean you won't have a great time, just our observation after eight Oceania  cruises...two in smaller "R class" ships.

5 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Unless you purchase the Prestige Beverage package  drinks you will pay for

If you choose the O Life  Beverage package you can upgrade once onboard

On the R ship you would probably need a PH or above

The Terrace  cafe is not a self serve buffet like on Crystal  & is open in the evenings for dinner ..no reservations required

The entertainment is not like Crystal  only 1 show per night in the theatre

Smoking places are limited to 2  one indoors & 1 outdoors

no chair hogs allowed

Food is subjective ..I thought O was better  but JMO

9 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

On Oceania, 7 days is a “boat ride.”

21 hours ago, PaulaJK said:

Since it is departing from NYC for a 7 day July cruise. ... Would appreciate comments re: recent experiences, especially w regard to cuisine and entertainment. I read the O Choice offer…but are there alot of charges for other services ( of course, don’t mean spa)...

Insignia does 3 NY to NY cruises in July 2022 with the same itinerary. A key is knowing what you'll do on the 2 nights in port at St. George and the 1 night in port at Hamilton. And keeping mind what you want to do on Days 1, 2, and 8 while at sea. She is a much smaller ship than Riviera (which wife & I did in Dec '21). So rather intimate. More or less so depending upon passenger count (we had 719).

On our sea days we enjoyed lounging around the pool area. And took in the Spa Terrace daily. Having Waves right by meant something like Mahi-Mahi at 3:30 with some sparkling water.

Essentially YOU are the person responsible for your time and entertainment while on board. So only you know if you want to sign up for what is available that cruise (e.g., cooking or artist in residence). We met our photographer artist at 0500 one early morning by the pool as we went deck by deck from about 0500-0600 to see if anyone was up. Only he and we! Had a nice chat. We only did the 2nd show of the comic (who was quite good, Jeff Nease) and did NOT do anything else with the performers (other than walk by the string quartet now and then and watch 10 minutes of "Name That Tune" with the piano player). We enjoyed spending some time almost nightly in the boutique, so much so that 3 of our favorites on the ship worked there (Adele, Dennis & Kassim).

DO check out what groups meet during your voyage. I'm glad I went to the Veterans gathering, as I'd routinely interact with those I met there.

We did NOT do any excursions thru O, but booked our own well in advance. We did NOT do any drinks packages either. I brought on board my 6 bottles of wine and bought beer, wine & hard liquor in port. So I'd enjoy my own from my veranda. And what I saved I used to buy a nice Citizen Eco-Drive Watch and a purse & wallet for my wife!

The cuisine is outstanding everywhere. So much so for the Terrace Cafe that we never did do the GDR. And I fell in love with an early breakfast in Waves.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

On Oceania, 7 days is a “boat ride.”

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Kind of like getting married but denied the honeymoon.............

I disagree. Our first (and so far) only Oceania cruise was a 10 day cruise with only one day "sailing". We felt a little rushed and we didn't think we got to spend enough time enjoying the ship. Our next one is 7 days with 2 at sea days so we'll get to spend more time relaxing onboard. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

I disagree. Our first (and so far) only Oceania cruise was a 10 day cruise with only one day "sailing". We felt a little rushed and we didn't think we got to spend enough time enjoying the ship. Our next one is 7 days with 2 at sea days so we'll get to spend more time relaxing onboard. 

You and only YOU know what is best for you. And one notes that 7 day cruises are less expensive. Our first was 10 nights with 7 scheduled ports/stops (3 tendered). But that is what we wanted. To do a lot in a little time but have a couple sea days and some beach time to relax.

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Remember you don’t have to get off at every port.  The ship is extra special on a port day, liken having a ship to yourself—-spa,gym, bars, restaurants-most things are open without the people.

Edited by ronrick1943
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ronrick1943 said:

Remember you din’t have to get off at every port.  The ship is extra special on a port day, liken having a ship to yourself—-spa,gym, bars, restaurants-most things are open without the people.

Actually, we didn't get off in Florence. We've been to Florence before, you had to take a Oceania excursion and we'd been to most of the places the excursions went to. 

4 hours ago, patty1955 said:

“Slice it or dice it anyway you want.”’ Seven days is still a “boat ride” on O.

2 hours ago, patty1955 said:

Actually, we didn't get off in Florence. We've been to Florence before, you had to take a Oceania excursion and we'd been to most of the places the excursions went to. 

I agree.... having been  to most all the ports several times over the years.... I use the ship as my experience to relax and enjoy being on the ship      To others they come for the ports.    Different strokes.  When I went to tour the land  I take a land vacation/trip  Heck Ilike being  on ships...

• Like 1

I was also looking at these July trips as we live in NYC so it's very easy. I also was attracted by the fact it goes to St George and Hamilton, hard to find that these days as ships are too large to get in both places, the dockyard is played out for us. I am hesitant because of the testing requirements to get into Bermuda, what's your take on that? We have sailed both Oceania on the large ships and Crystal. They are very different however Oceania provided a very nice cruise experience.

43 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

I like 10-12 day cruises. When I look at itineraries I focus on those. Everyone is different but that is what I prefer. 

I agree. The only reason I booked a 7 day was because it sails out of NYC. I promised my husband that the next trip I booked would be to NYC and this does.

18 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Remember you don’t have to get off at every port.  The ship is extra special on a port day, liken having a ship to yourself—-spa,gym, bars, restaurants-most things are open without the people.

I completely agree with ronrick..we go on many cruises but are very picky about where we get off would rather enjoy the ship..

Jancruz1

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’m looking at an itinerary on Insignia, August 2024, so it will be after the WC 2024 has ended. I’ve read that Insignia’s food budget during the WC is incredible,  and I’m wondering if that is only during the WC. Don’t get me wrong, I have no complaints about the food quality on O. I’m just curious if its EVEN BETTER on Insignia.

Also, everyone talks about needing to book a PH on the smaller R ships, but I travel solo, so maybe a Veranda would be okay? I can’t imagine any bathroom could be smaller than Uniworld’s was on their river cruise. There’s just me, and I didn’t have any issues……

C5970ED2-9DD3-4966-86C6-EEF4A56AECCE.jpeg

B77A6F0B-6A8B-4E32-ABA5-30A8BD627C0A.jpeg

Not everyone has a problem with the smaller W/C  on the R ships 😉

You would be fine even in the "new" S Cat cabins

I bleieve the food budget PP is the same  for all the ships 

I remember years ago FDR posting what the budget was  compared to the main stream lines  & it was about 25%  higher on O

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m looking at an itinerary on Insignia, August 2024, so it will be after the WC 2024 has ended. I’ve read that Insignia’s food budget during the WC is incredible,  and I’m wondering if that is only during the WC. Don’t get me wrong, I have no complaints about the food quality on O. I’m just curious if its EVEN BETTER on Insignia.

Also, everyone talks about needing to book a PH on the smaller R ships, but I travel solo, so maybe a Veranda would be okay? I can’t imagine any bathroom could be smaller than Uniworld’s was on their river cruise. There’s just me, and I didn’t have any issues……

C5970ED2-9DD3-4966-86C6-EEF4A56AECCE.jpeg

B77A6F0B-6A8B-4E32-ABA5-30A8BD627C0A.jpeg

Bathroom looks to be about the same size as the R ships. 

From your photo, O’s showers may be slightly bigger in length.  

Edited by LNielsen

We like the R class ships. We mainly cruise Oceania and Azamara. We travel mainly in penthouse/ CC but have done the cruise you are talking about as a 10day in 2018 in a balcony. There were other stops in New England. Yes the bathroom is small but this is a small compromise if you are looking to just try out Oceania.

We are very disappointed that Oceania are doing just 7 days as it’s too far to come from the UK and in July and August no other good cruise company’s have anything we could ‘add on’ other than the odd Caribbean. We spent 2 days in St George. Beautiful but not somewhere I would want to be the main focus of a cruise. We were not over impressed with Hamilton.
We were just in the process of booking Crystal when they stopped trading ….. we were crushed.

However, if you are looking for 7 days to chill I would recommend this cruise. Decent food, reasonable service and on the whole like minded passengers. The daytime program offers choices but not all will be to your liking. However the sunbeds are comfy and the walk to the bar short. Food is very subjective. We don’t necessarily think Oceania’s is any better than Azamara as we have found them far more willing to go off menu than Oceania. We have a summer cruise booked now with Oceania around the med.

In short I think you would have a enjoyable cruise. 

Please remember Oceania charges for most things, they are NOT inclusive. 
We always pay for premium drinks package and add onboard credit for gratuities before leaving home.  Not necessarily good value but we like to drink what we want when we want without thinking of cost. Blame our upbringing re waste 😁

Uk TA’s do not offer the incentives US travellers seem to get therefore yours might pay the gratuities ( or offer something extra)

We tend to take the free excursions as Olife and pay deviation to be in control of the flights.

Hope you decide to give Oceania a try