CDC adjusts warnings

deliver42

7 minutes ago, sergel02 said:

Similar my dad is tested positive off the Allure, though since he didn’t get tested in the ship I don’t know if it could be tracked to the ship. Same could be said on land though I know transmissibility is different. 

For us it’s just a sign we should keep wearing our masks personally at least, especially a medical or 95 mask. It was the first instance we were around a large group of strangers without our masks. 

And how sick is everyone? Just bring positive isn’t the primary problem.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichYak said:

I don't test out of curiosity. If I'm sick, I'll take a test.

This is confusing. You can "be sick" with Covid and have no symptoms. In which case you'd be unwittingly spreading it around.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

And how sick is everyone? Just bring positive isn’t the primary problem.

Hr first developed symptoms maybe Friday and is still sick today (Wednesday) though is feeling better. Cough, body aches, chills, headache. He said the first 2 days were the worse he felt in years but after that it felt like a bad cold. 

Much better than when I got it in 2020 before vaccines or home tests haha. Ended up sick for like 5 weeks and funnily enough for my first case of pink eye from it. 

37 minutes ago, sippican said:

This is confusing. You can "be sick" with Covid and have no symptoms. In which case you'd be unwittingly spreading it around.

So can you, right now. Did you test yourself today? How about yesterday? And the day before that?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RichYak said:

So can you, right now. Did you test yourself today? How about yesterday? And the day before that?

When I return from a situation that has put me at risk for increased exposure to covid (mass transportation, travel situations, etc) YES, I have tested. I returned from Iceland 11 days ago. I have tested twice since leaving.

Perhaps if you had close contact with someone at increased risk, or have lost someone to covid, you might understand the importance of being responsible, not only to yourself, but to others more vulnerable.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, sippican said:

When I return from a situation that has put me at risk for increased exposure to covid (mass transportation, travel situations, etc) YES, I have tested. I returned from Iceland 11 days ago. I have tested twice since leaving.

Perhaps if you had close contact with someone at increased risk, or have lost someone to covid, you might understand the importance of being responsible, not only to yourself, but to others more vulnerable.

So if I take a bus and a train to and from work everyday, you think I should test everyday?

And don't try to make this personal, you have no idea who I'm close to or who I've lost. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RichYak said:

So if I take a bus and a train to and from work everyday, you think I should test everyday?

And don't try to make this personal, you have no idea who I'm close to or who I've lost. 

Agree, I go to the gym 6 days a week, talk to several members all the time. I eat out 4 days a week. I should be testing how many days then? Life has risks, accept them or be a very safe hermit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Yes and then you could more easily do an RT-PCR test which is a better way to deal with asymptomatic cases anyway.

The issue with that is time or expense.  If you want something that you know will come back in a day or so, you're usually looking at at least around $100 per person.  That's pretty steep compared to $25-30/pp (or free, although I wonder how much longer free antigen tests will be around.

3 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Although Celebrity also signed up for the new CDC guidelines, I haven't yet seen any suggestion of them changing to the new testing times.

Silversea just made the change this month (although with some consternation before clarifying it--another story), so it could be sooner than later.

4 minutes ago, ehall said:

That would be great.  I did a check in for April 30 sailing today, and it actually says that the pre-cruise testing is not announced yet.    Hoping they are working on a policy update.  

Guest emails already have the testing date listed as through at least April 30.

Pre-Cruise Testing

For sailings departing the U.S. through April 30, 2022, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. 

1 minute ago, DCPIV said:

The issue with that is time or expense.  If you want something that you know will come back in a day or so, you're usually looking at at least around $100 per person.  That's pretty steep compared to $25-30/pp (or free, although I wonder how much longer free antigen tests will be around.

Silversea just made the change this month (although with some consternation before clarifying it--another story), so it could be sooner than later.

My PCR or antigen Covid tests have been with no cost to me.  The only tests that are costly are the proctored tests and people buy more than they need just to be covered.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RichYak said:

So what difference would it make to test if you're sick?

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Guest emails already have the testing date listed as through at least April 30.

Pre-Cruise Testing

For sailings departing the U.S. through April 30, 2022, all vaccinated guests are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either an Antigen or PCR test, conducted within two days of boarding the ship. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as covering all associated costs. 

Awww - missed that 😞    Well, I have their home test kits ordered already - so they will be put to use anyhow.

Edited by ehall

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html

Deciphering what Fully Vaccinated vs Up-to-Date means will be a struggle and another layer of confusion. Sticking with 2 days may just be generally easier.

This is from HAL's website: 

Testing: All guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within 3 days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose(s), when eligible. If a guest is fully vaccinated but not up to date with their vaccines (i.e., is eligible for a booster but has not received one), they must take their pre-cruise COVID-19 test within 2 days prior to sailing.

I don't see that it's a struggle to decipher or confusing.  

At least 3 of the Carnival-owned cruise lines are now offering their passengers this extra flexibility even if it means a little extra checking for their staff to do.  

19 minutes ago, Tigrou said:

I don't see that it's a struggle to decipher or confusing.  

I've seen the discussions here dissecting the meaning of the word Always and struggles to define the difference how much time is 48 hours. 

I'll stick to my thought that it will cause confusion 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sippican said:

Which remains the case on land or sea.  That's why you still see a lot of 'surprise' positives amongst those who are asymptomatic but required to test for various other reasons.

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

My PCR or antigen Covid tests have been with no cost to me.  The only tests that are costly are the proctored tests and people buy more than they need just to be covered.

I'm glad to hear your experience has been so pleasant with free PCR tests.  You said that we could do PCR tests more easily, but I can't trust it for embarkation.  At least around here, there's no guarantee that a free PCR test will be back within a 3-day window.  They've usually come back within that time, but I've had some take 5 days before I got results.  

I'll stick with antigen tests for embarking.  They come back quickly, free or otherwise.

However, for an extra $25-30, I don't need to make or keep an appointment, and no one has to keep their appointment with me.  I don't have to even leave the house, for that matter, and I'll very likely have my results in hand within 30 minutes.  That's a personal choice to pay for convenience.  As it turns out, there are a number of times that I'll pay for convience, and there have been a number of times it's cost me more than $25 to do so.  I'll reiterate, though, that I have a funny feeling that free "official" testing may be coming to an end or, at least, become a good deal more difficult to come by.

We may order extra home tests, but we've not had a single one go unused, and we've never ordered extra just to have "extra."  I just ordered some more, and they're all spoken for one way or another (unless testing ends altogether, in which case I will jump for joy for having wasted my money).

57 minutes ago, ehall said:

Awww - missed that 😞    Well, I have their home test kits ordered already - so they will be put to use anyhow.

I wouldn't be surprised if testing continues beyond April 30, so I wouldn't fret too much.

In fact, like I mentioned in another post, I'll more jump for joy that I've wasted my money on tests.

50 minutes ago, sippican said:

So what difference would it make to test if you're sick?

Being symptomatic would indicate a reasonable expectation that I might have covid. You would test 2 times for no apparent reason after returning from Iceland but wouldn't test when you have symptoms on a random Wednesday? You don't think the likelihood of covid is far greater when you're running a fever? You really are confused.

Look, people commute to work every day on mass transit and are around far more people on a regular basis than they would encounter on a cruise ship or a trip to Iceland. No one suggests that they need to test every day. It's not reasonable.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Being symptomatic would indicate a reasonable expectation that I might have covid. You would test 2 times for no apparent reason after returning from Iceland but wouldn't test when you have symptoms on a random Wednesday? You don't think the likelihood of covid is far greater when you're running a fever? You really are confused.

Now look who's making assumptions!!!!!

Where on earth did I say I wouldn't test if I had symptoms, particularly on a random Wednesday, lol! Now that's funny!

I'm not confused at all. 

Perhaps you missed the point that there was a reason for testing, to protect others from asymptomatic spread.

Having someone in my home undergoing chemotherapy, we are very well aware of how important it is to behave cautiously and thank goodness our family and friends are willing to go to whatever lengths necessary to protect them.  They know that, fever or not, they may have covid. Three of them test every single week so they won't expose him. 

Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, D C said:

No. I mean successfully avoided actual testing.   It's long been an irrelevant data point imho.   Not to mention how much it sucks being the recipient of a false positive test.

Lovely. People who think as you do have largely been responsible for continued spread of the disease. How every self-centered is that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCPIV said:

I wouldn't be surprised if testing continues beyond April 30, so I wouldn't fret too much.

In fact, like I mentioned in another post, I'll more jump for joy that I've wasted my money on tests.

If murphy's law applies here and buying more tests = I don't have to use them, I'll buy some more today 😀

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

I wish they'd just provide separate sailings to split up the panicky (crazy) people from those who are sane and managed to keep their marbles the last two years.

Wishful thinking I know...

Email me when cruising without tests and masks will start .I am in

• Like 1