Cruise Directors Review

tx121

We just got off EN on Fri.  We ran into Bobby several times and talked to him.  We were on his very first cruise with RCI several years ago.  He is always out and about.  I think what people forget is on larger ships, they have so much sq footage to cover and so many places to be in just a few minutes time that they don't always take the public route.

7 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Yes, Mike is amazing. He just revealed he’s moving to Voyager for the summer before returning to Wonder in September.

Any idea of when Mike is leaving the Wonder? And who will be the next CD on the Wonder?

31 minutes ago, AUgirl said:

Any idea of when Mike is leaving the Wonder? And who will be the next CD on the Wonder?

He didn’t specify a date but said he’d be on Voyager for 4 months, returning in September. So I’d assume pretty soon. No idea who’s replacing him on Wonder, sorry. 

• Like 1

I agree -- my husband and I were on the Allure in February and mentioned to each other that we barely saw the cruise director.  In fact, his staff opened most of the shows -- not him!  Because of that, I can't even recall his name 🙄

Edited by dunedinmaiden
Additional sentence

13 hours ago, dunedinmaiden said:

I agree -- my husband and I were on the Allure in February and mentioned to each other that we barely saw the cruise director.  In fact, his staff opened most of the shows -- not him!  Because of that, I can't even recall his name 🙄

We were on the "Allure" B2B in January and in 2 weeks of cruising I couldn't tell you the C.D.'s name either..

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 5:26 PM, 4everAfamily said:

Abe Hughes will always be one of my faves! I enjoy Mike, Mitch, and Clo. Dennis was fun when he was paired with Activities Manager Hannah Yates. They had great chemistry together. I was hoping she’d be a CD one day. 

It's about time someone mentioned ABE HUGHES.

He is one of the all-time bests and has a place deep in my heart.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 4:49 AM, tx121 said:

Has anyone noticed that the Cruise Directors on Royal Caribbean seem to be less visible (even before pandemic)? It seems like the only time I see them is to open the shows or for special events to introduce the officers. I feel like over the years they have become more administrative than actually front of the house, especially the older Cruise Directors. 

In my opinion, I think  having them at more activities and being visible around the ship, makes a important connection to the guests. Former Cruise directors for RC like Richard Spacey, Jimmy Rhodes, Kirk Detweiler.....were always around for the events and seen around the ship. A current Cruise Director that still does this is Mike Szwajkowski. He was always seen around the ship and even hosted a game show called the Broken Link (which is hilarious) on our Odyssey Sailing last year. He is very polished and seems like the "old school" cruise Directors of the past. 

What is your opinion on Royals current Cruise Directors? Who is your favorite and were they "active" during your cruise?

My all time favorite CD is Paul Rutter.

7 minutes ago, poocher said:

Harmony in March - did we HAVE a CD??  Certainly never saw him/her🤷‍♀️

On the Wonder TA last month Mike said that on a typical 7-day cruise he only gets to spend 10% of his time ‘front of house’. He’s responsible for a team of 220 and most of his time is spent managing them.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

On the Wonder TA last month Mike said that on a typical 7-day cruise he only gets to spend 10% of his time ‘front of house’. He’s responsible for a team of 220 and most of his time is spent managing them.

Makes sense.  Cruise in 2018, felt like the CD was (almost annoyingly) everywhere.  Have only been on 4 so wasn’t sure what the norm was.

On 3/15/2022 at 5:13 AM, COCKYMARK said:

Graham Seymour is my all time favorite!!

Mine as well!  we had him on the Freedom years ago and he had us laughing the entire trip.  I loved the morning show on the room tv.  He made the cruise so much more interactive too.