Deluxe Beverage Package BOGO50

6 hours ago, AndySFC said:

Your cruise planner looks different to mine, I think we in Europe have a new/different one, interestingly the 50% off offer is not stated anywhere that the price shown reflects discount so I was expecting one at £59.51 and one at £29.75 which I think was a reasonable assumption without prior knowledge of the package prices.

image.thumb.png.b1600ed3f7e931338ae8d85dfda16842.png

Neither does it mention it in the page information, unfortunately I am a new cruiser so was not aware of the interesting approach to sales and cancelled my current package only to find out the new one was actually £50 more, you live and learn. I have requested RCL to look at this and maybe offer Onboard Credit to cover the difference and rebook, however I don't hold out much hope.

So maybe not false advertising, but I would say purposely ambiguous at best.

In your instance if you see the 79.35 (that is the onboard price and reduction is based on that cost).  If you take that cost and divide in half, you get 39.68 - which 79.35 and 39.68 is 119.03.  Take 119.03 and then divide by 2 guests you get the 59.52 (or 59.51).  Our price however never shows the original onboard price like yours does - so our pricing is a guessing game of the onboard price, which is how the discount is calculated.  

Edited by mom2tcdx2

On 3/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, lx200gps said:

Just noticed this myself. Maybe I'm missing something, but the standard "discount" is 20%, it went up to 25% recently, then back down to 20%, and now this BOGO50 deal. When I do the math, it works out to precisely the same as the 25%, as they assume one person is paying the full amount and the other is paying 50% of the full rate.

Ah Grasshopper, you have discovered the solution to Royal's math that 25% off is the same as BOGO50.  Of course the base rate is determined by your ship and sail date, with prime time and newer ships usually costing more. 

Remember you must add 18% gratuity.

1 hour ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

In your instance if you see the 79.35 (that is the onboard price and reduction is based on that cost).  If you take that cost and divide in half, you get 39.68 - which 79.35 and 39.68 is 119.03.  Take 119.03 and then divide by 2 guests you get the 59.52 (or 59.51).  Our price however never shows the original onboard price like yours does - so our pricing is a guessing game of the onboard price, which is how the discount is calculated.  

So simple when you know 🤣. I think if it quoted "price includes all discounts" as it does on other items I probably would have realised, but being new to this I took it on face value. Next time I will look before I leap...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AndySFC said:

So simple when you know 🤣. I think if it quoted "price includes all discounts" as it does on other items I probably would have realised, but being new to this I took it on face value. Next time I will look before I leap...

Oh, I totally get it, it got me too several years ago, but I hadn't already purchased it and called about how the totals came out.  That is when I was told about the mysterious onboard cost and how the price is reflected from that (but no where do they tell us the on board price and it apparently changes daily too).  

• Like 2

I've been watching for months the DBP for our Oct sailing on Explorer. It goes from $70 to $66 during any and all of the "Super Duper, Amazing, Too Good to be True, WOW" sales.  Annoying cat and mouse/ smoke and mirror "sales"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Oh, I totally get it, it got me too several years ago, but I hadn't already purchased it and called about how the totals came out.  That is when I was told about the mysterious onboard cost and how the price is reflected from that (but no where do they tell us the on board price and it apparently changes daily too).  

The new Cruise Planners do show the supposed onboard cost:

From

$63.99 / per guest per day
$92.00 onboard
(30% OFF)PRE-CRUISE SAVINGS
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, firefly333 said:

Rcl is infamous for sales that arent really sales.

This is will be our first time on RC but I was just thinking this.  They sent an email with a great "St. Patrick's Day" sale but it was exactly the same price as it was before the sale.

Edited by xmansmommy
misspelling
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 5:15 PM, Biker19 said:

But if they have been doing it for the past 8 years and you know about it, is it?

I'm new to RC so I didn't know.  I assume I'm the person they're targeting with that so yes, it's false advertisement.  Not in a legal sense, but they're clearly trying to entice you with a nonexistent sale.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 10:35 AM, smokeybandit said:

For a cruise I'm monitoring, the BOGO comes out to $69.  Pass.

Exactly, on our cruise it'd been hovering in the mid-$60s and when you're talking two people for 13 days that's a lot of money.

$88 for one plus $44 for one at half price / 2 = $66 - advertised price is $65.99.  So yep, another 'sale that's not really a sale'.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichaelCMTX said:

Exactly, on our cruise it'd been hovering in the mid-$60s and when you're talking two people for 13 days that's a lot of money.

$88 for one plus $44 for one at half price / 2 = $66 - advertised price is $65.99.  So yep, another 'sale that's not really a sale'.

And add 18% for gratuity.

• Like 1

For my last two recent cruises almost everything you can purchase in the Cruise Planner has gone down, then back up, then down again then back up.  It's a full time job just trying to keep up with all the changes and when to pull the trigger and buy. This is getting more stressful than the Covid tests, Vax cards, cancelled ports, lack of supplies, lack of crew etc. etc.  

I won't be buying a drink package anyway since I have C&A drink vouchers - but if I didn't I wouldn't buy it either after reading all the noise from people complaining about lack of this, lack of that, no drink mixers, running out of favorite liquor brands, beer, wine, etc. etc.  

@AndySFC hope you are successful in getting your original price back.  Let us know what happens. 

• Like 1

This sale is very deceptive. I'm a price hawk and been keeping an eye one these prices for some time now for our cruise in June and for the one we just took. I've seen many of the BOGO's but they have ALWAYS had the regular price listed. This time they have the discounted price listed leading many to believe it's a better sale than before. Shame on Royal...😡 

• Like 2

Saleprice for beverage package for our June Oasis cruise is stated 71,02€/ person/day (regular price 94,70€) BOGO50% in cruise planner

I had already previously purchased the beverage package with the price 68,62€/person/day and I thought that this sale is better than before, because BOGO50%.

My math was that for the first guest the price would be the offered sale price 71,02×7= 497,14€ and for second guest half price from original price (50% from 94,70€) =47,35 × 7= 331,45€. Total 828,59€.

So I cancelled the already purchased package and when I tried to repurchase I was very suprised that the total price for beverage package was even higher than paid before, 994,28€.

So not really BOGO50%, just 71,02 ×7 times two.  I did read all the terms and nowhere does it say the offered price reflects all discounts and because of this I could not agree more that this offer and pricing is very misleading.

Very disapointed with Royal and their pricing. 

8 hours ago, sailor05 said:

This sale is very deceptive. I'm a price hawk and been keeping an eye one these prices for some time now for our cruise in June and for the one we just took. I've seen many of the BOGO's but they have ALWAYS had the regular price listed. This time they have the discounted price listed leading many to believe it's a better sale than before. Shame on Royal...😡 

So what I'm hearing is that I can/should wait to see what the next sale is?  I don't think I can get this sale anyway, as my party has 2 adults and 2 kids, however, we had to put 1 adult in each cabin.  So when I try to go through the process to purchase the BOGO50, it won't let me because the second cruiser in the cabin isn't eligible.  So I pretty much need to wait until they run 25% again?

2 hours ago, texasweather said:

So I pretty much need to wait until they run 25% again?

No, you need to monitor prices, ignore the “sales” and book when you see value. Then, if the price drops, reprice till final payment. 

2 hours ago, texasweather said:

So what I'm hearing is that I can/should wait to see what the next sale is?  I don't think I can get this sale anyway, as my party has 2 adults and 2 kids, however, we had to put 1 adult in each cabin.  So when I try to go through the process to purchase the BOGO50, it won't let me because the second cruiser in the cabin isn't eligible.  So I pretty much need to wait until they run 25% again?

Hi, we have the same set up - my husband and I are in separate cabins each with one of our sons. I was able to go in and purchase the DBP just for him at the "BOGO50 sale" price of $66 (plus 18% gratuity). It shows the "regular" price of $88, so BOGO50 would be $66 pp, I think if I am doing the RCI math correctly. I had to laugh because I purchased the DBP for him back in early February when the "sale" was 25% off (another way of saying BOGO50😀) and then we decided to cancel it. But then we have talked about re-purchasing it if it went on sale again. So we are basically where we were a month ago - with 3 more months to cancel, re-purchase, cancel, on and on!

8 hours ago, texasweather said:

Only you can determine if the 25% is enough of a discount.  Personally, after factoring in the 18% gratuity, it comes out to maybe 73 per day, too much for me.  Of course the base rate fluctuates depending upon your ship and sail date.  An older ship in the fall will be cheaper than a newer ship over the summer.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:21 PM, livingonthebeach said:

@AndySFC hope you are successful in getting your original price back.  Let us know what happens. 

I received an email response to my query which explained how the promotion worked but did not address my issue of the cruise planner being very misleading in the BOGO50 offer and having to pay £40 more to re-book.

I rang and spoke to a pleasant agent who acknowledged that they were aware of the confusing wording in the planner, however there was nothing they could do with regards to re-instating my initial order. I suggested cruise credit for the difference, she told me that it was not possible.

I asked if I could escalate this (I kept a pleasant but firm tone, no use getting angry, its not her fault), she said she would try and get hold of someone, anyway to cut a long story short, after 30 minutes of being on hold and regular updates from the agent, I was given $55 onboard credit which was the difference in price from what I originally paid to the new price.

I know it was only £40 ($55) which in the big scheme of things is not a lot but I could not let the principle of the situation go without at least attempting to get it resolved.

Obviously they are aware of the problem, probably through multiple calls/emails with the same issue but I guess they try the 'Nothing we can do' approach in the hope the customer gives up, but patience paid off on this occasion and I am content with the result and I will be more mindful of cancelling and rebooking in the future.

I doubt they will change their confusing and misleading sale prices, but lets at least hope they make it clear in future promotions that the price shown includes all discounts, at least with the new cruise planner.

Edited by AndySFC
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AndySFC said:

I received an email response to my query which explained how the promotion worked but did not address my issue of the cruise planner being very misleading in the BOGO50 offer and having to pay £40 more to re-book.

I rang and spoke to a pleasant agent who acknowledged that they were aware of the confusing wording in the planner, however there was nothing they could do with regards to re-instating my initial order. I suggested cruise credit for the difference, she told me that it was not possible.

I asked if I could escalate this (I kept a pleasant but firm tone, no use getting angry, its not her fault), she said she would try and get hold of someone, anyway to cut a long story short, after 30 minutes of being on hold and regular updates from the agent, I was given $55 onboard credit which was the difference in price from what I originally paid to the new price.

I know it was only £40 ($55) which in the big scheme of things is not a lot but I could not let the principle of the situation go without at least attempting to get it resolved.

Obviously they are aware of the problem, probably through multiple calls/emails with the same issue but I guess they try the 'Nothing we can do' approach in the hope the customer gives up, but patience paid off on this occasion and I am content with the result and I will be more mindful of cancelling and rebooking in the future.

I doubt they will change their confusing and misleading sale prices, but lets at least hope they make it clear in future promotions that the price shown includes all discounts, at least with the new cruise planner.

Oh my - I'm glad it worked out for you in the end, although you had to jump through hoops to become whole again. Thanks for sharing. Happy cruising!

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:26 PM, GWP-OKC said:

I've been watching for months the DBP for our Oct sailing on Explorer. It goes from $70 to $66 during any and all of the "Super Duper, Amazing, Too Good to be True, WOW" sales.  Annoying cat and mouse/ smoke and mirror "sales"

Ok, then you must like the 30/30 and/or 60% off second passenger sale.😁