ship's wifi

greener

not very competent with i phone use.  please help!  if i buy the wifi package will i be able to do these things?

FACETIME

CHECK MY E MAIL

SEND E MAIL

SEND MESSAGES

ACCESS WEBSITES

USE THE COMPUTERS IN THE INTERNET CAFE

i would be so grateful for some help.

8 hours ago, greener said:

not very competent with i phone use.  please help!  if i buy the wifi package will i be able to do these things?

FACETIME

CHECK MY E MAIL

SEND E MAIL

SEND MESSAGES

ACCESS WEBSITES

As noted above, you should be able to do any of those things if the connection allows.  My experience on the Regal in December was very good.  I thought it was fast with relatively low lag and few disruptions.  It could have been the ship, the route (Port Everglades to Amber Cove and Princess Cays and back), the time of year, and any number of other factors, but things worked well for me on that cruise.  YMMV.

13 hours ago, greener said:

FACETIME

CHECK MY E MAIL

SEND E MAIL

SEND MESSAGES

ACCESS WEBSITES

We were on the Emerald in February for a Panama Canal cruise.  All of the above worked great. If there is a problem with FaceTime you can always use FaceTime with voice only, no picture, and then there should be no problem. We were really happy with the wifi.  

On 3/17/2022 at 4:44 PM, greener said:

FACETIME

CHECK MY E MAIL

SEND E MAIL

SEND MESSAGES

ACCESS WEBSITES

Depends a lot on where you are sailing. The following will help you sort it out. 

On 3/17/2022 at 7:03 PM, highloyo said:

I just got the Majestic on March 12. The cruise was to Mexico. The internet was awful. It was unbearably slow. In addition you would constantly get disconnected and have to log in. 

That is an understatement.  At times it was slower than dialup, .08mbs at times.  On the Grand in November it was lightning fast the entire trip.

Additionally - be aware you should be able to make normal calls and text messages through your iPhone as well, depending on your carrier.  It takes a little setup to do, but if setup correctly, there are no charges (besides standard charges for using your phone at home).

it’s called WiFi calling, and your phone looks to the WiFi connection to send and receive the calls/texts, instead of looking for a cell tower.  Make sure you disable voice and data  roaming on your phone:

• Go to Settings>Phone and turn on wifi calling
  • Go into Settings and turn on Airplane Mode
  • Go into Settings>Wi-Fi and turn wifi back to ON
  • Go to Settings>Bluetooth and turn bluetooth ON

Your carrier has to allow it - but the big ones all do I believe.  Here are details from Verizon for example:

https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/

On our recent cruise on REGAL - I was not able to access Outlook/Hotmail to check emails. - not sure if that is an wifi/interwebs problem or a site blocked problem.  Other sites were hit and miss at times.

RT FLL to Grand Turk