Windjammer back to self-service

With the lowered CDC guidelines.....when will the Windjammer go back to self-service?

The current situation is ridiculous as you never get the right food or amount of food - it feels like a prison canteen where the slap the food randomly on your plate!

Please report when this is back to self-service!

Thanks

Edited by cruiseboy89130
  • Haha 3

Not soon enough. They don’t have adequate staff to man all the stations. I’ve stood there for many minutes with no one able to serve on quite a few occasions and often ended up just giving up and moving on. 

Edited by Cruise Gopher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

I actually like it the way it is.

Me, too! One can always ask for  more or maybe just a little bit.  😉 

It's welcoming being served versus some guests handling utensils, licking their fingers, putting food on their plates then putting it back and other distasteful and unsanitary habits.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

With the lowered CDC guidelines.....when will the Windjammer go back to self-service?

The current situation is ridiculous as you never get the right food or amount of food - it feels like a prison canteen where the slap the food randomly on your plate!

Please report when this is back to self-service!

Thanks

I'm like you.  Tired of them slopping food on my plate.  Some stations don't know what I want or how much I want.  We did a TA on Harmony, and they had "small plates" which you could pick up at random.  It was much better.  Looking forward to spooning out my own food.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, long4acruise said:

Me, too! One can always ask for  more or maybe just a little bit.  😉 

It's welcoming being served versus some guests handling utensils, licking their fingers, putting food on their plates then putting it back and other distasteful and unsanitary habits.

Yeah, that happens all the time?  😉  What have you done the past 20 or so years without them spooning out your ration?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I believe that Mr. Fain in one of his video updates stated that they liked the safer Windjammer procedures and likely would keep them after other COVID processes were removed. Having been on several cruises lately I liked the process as food is better protected from unsafe handling of serving utensils and food by guests!!!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Scotty G said:

I believe that Mr. Fain in one of his video updates stated that they liked the safer Windjammer procedures and likely would keep them after other COVID processes were removed. Having been on several cruises lately I liked the process as food is better protected from unsafe handling of serving utensils and food by guests!!!

I agree that it is much more sanitary to be served vs serve yourself. Richard Fain is totally out of the picture though, replaced by Jason Liberty.  Fain is staying on doing "building projects" a.k.a. special projects. 

I definitely prefer the cafeteria style service to the serve-yourself situation as it's so much cleaner. (and so very much less likely to lead to a noro exposure.)   I've been guilty of deliberately knocking a serving spoon off a buffet station onto the floor 3 times over the past 20 years when I saw something gross happen. The worst was a woman in front of me who got herself a taste of the potatoes by scraping her finger down the bowl of the spoon ....evidently they weren't up to her standards, so she put the spoon back, and she moved on.  That spoon nearly hit her in the butt....but I digress.  

Back in the old cafeteria days in land based cafeteria restaurants, I used to be concerned over the large portions they always served as a smaller one would work better for me, but I just brought the extra home.  But with the cafeteria style service in the WJ, all you have to do is tell the server you want just a small amount.  If they don't put enough on your plate, ask for a little more.  Communication has worked for us!   Now I'll have to go back to my surveillance of other people's buffet behaviors.  

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

The few times I’ve made it to the Windjammer, I have to say I like it better with them serving you, you can always ask them for “more” or just go back again (and btw, get a clean plate).

It’s much more sanitary.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I haven’t been to a prison canteen before so I can’t compare the windjammer to it.  I would think if it was about the same experience, the prisoners should appreciate it.  So far at the windjammer I have received the food I wanted, the amount I wanted and no one slapped it on my plate.  The service was great.  All the restaurants I went to had great service.

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, flamingos said:

Bring your own hand sanitizer and use if after bringing your plate back to the table, every trip.  

Exactly! I wash my hands before going in and always use hand sanitizer when I sit down before eating. Been doing this forever even before the pandemic and never had any issues or concerns. 

Edited by Cruise Gopher

3 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

I agree that it is much more sanitary to be served vs serve yourself. Richard Fain is totally out of the picture though, replaced by Jason Liberty.  Fain is staying on doing "building projects" a.k.a. special projects. 

Actually Mr. Fain is remaining chair of the company's board of directors, is the third longest-serving CEO among S&P 500 leaders, Royal Caribbean said in its announcement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

But I want to pick out MY OWN extra crispy bacon!  None of that limp, undercooked stuff!

😉  😄

One of my pet peeves. I have had success in getting the server pick out crispy and if there was none to go get some! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1