In Memory of Paulchili

CintiPam

4 hours ago, cbb said:

Paul and Don Horner were my two go-to guys on this forum. I am heartbroken to hear that Paul is gone. I hope that somehow his family hears how much he meant to so many of us. I am truly devastated by this news. Thanks to CintiPam for telling us.

cbb, I wrote to Marsha to express my condolences and told her about the outpouring of appreciation and good memories of Paul appearing on this thread. Hopefully, at some point she will derive some solace from them.

I too looked to Paul and Don (whom I fortunately met once here on land in Cincinnati for dinner before he and Betsy embarked on a river cruise) for accurate information without any agenda or braggadocio. 

• Like 4

There are a few CC members that attracted me to this forum and helped keep it on an even keel for many years. Paul was one of them. I enjoyed reading his posts; he stayed a gentleman though he could hold his own as well when needed. With decades of cruising experience over many lines he was always willing to share his experiences when asked, without attempting to force his opinion. It was due to such valued information such as his that we decided to cruise with Oceania and have continued to do so. 

A few years back we had the pleasure of meeting up with Paul and Marsha in our home port as they overnighted between trips. Unfortunately, due to a Covid-19 cancelled cruise we were unable to meet up with them last year at a their home port. An opportunity lost.

He was quiet, generous and thoughtful. We send our sincere sympathies to Marsha and family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mura said:

I don't check in that often these days since we are NOT traveling yet ... but was shocked and saddened to see this news.  I never met Paul but we did correspond every so often, and I always appreciated his generous posts.  Gentle journey, Paul.

Same here Mura, I haven’t checked in very often since we are not cruising because of the Covid restrictions, but I loved getting advice from Don Horner and Paul.  We were supposed to have dinner with Don and his wife once, but it didn’t work out.  Love & prayers for Paul’s family.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CintiPam said:

cbb, I wrote to Marsha to express my condolences and told her about the outpouring of appreciation and good memories of Paul appearing on this thread. Hopefully, at some point she will derive some solace from them.

I too looked to Paul and Don (whom I fortunately met once here on land in Cincinnati for dinner before he and Betsy embarked on a river cruise) for accurate information without any agenda or braggadocio. 

Ya  met Don in Hawaii when i lived there... took him for a super tour of the Big island as I was a park Ranger there............great guy  I miss him       That is the rotten thing about getting older... all you touch-stone friends start disappearing.

• Like 2

Oh no...I just can not believe this! We sailed with Paul and Marsha on several O T/As and were lucky enough to be on the same Trivia team.  I had emailed him with questions for years re flights etc and he was always so helpful and kind. He helped me by giving me information about gaining points with branded credit cards for hotels as well. And even hosted a "mini seminar" on board about these subjects for myself and other CCers. 

Right before I logged onto the O forum I was trying to remember if I had written Paul to tell him my DH Kenneth passed away on 3/3. Imagine my shock in seeing the title of this thread. You were just the best Paul. Thank you and you and Kenneth start planning your next cruise in the sky. 

• Like 2

As others I have been away from the board for a while. I was saddened to hear of Paul’s passing. We cruised with Paul and Marsha and shared many a laugh. He was certainly a wealth of information, along with Don when I first discovered O 20 cruises ago. My heartfelt condolences to Marsha.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 6:57 PM, LuAnn said:

Oh no...I just can not believe this! We sailed with Paul and Marsha on several O T/As and were lucky enough to be on the same Trivia team.  I had emailed him with questions for years re flights etc and he was always so helpful and kind. He helped me by giving me information about gaining points with branded credit cards for hotels as well. And even hosted a "mini seminar" on board about these subjects for myself and other CCers. 

Right before I logged onto the O forum I was trying to remember if I had written Paul to tell him my DH Kenneth passed away on 3/3. Imagine my shock in seeing the title of this thread. You were just the best Paul. Thank you and you and Kenneth start planning your next cruise in the sky. 

LuAnn, our sympathies to you as well!!  It has to be even harder for you to see this news since you just lost Kenneth.  Hugs to you,

Mura

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

LuAnn,

Sorry to hear about Kenneth.  We were Trivia team mates on the cruise that your luggage disappeared from your driveway.

John and I are still enjoying cruising.

I did attend the talk Paul gave on one cruise.  Very informative.  Will miss his posts here.

Joanne and John

Paul was an online friend from flyertalk.com. We exchanging tips for land based vacations and using airline miles to get there. Paul and I both went to Borneo I the same year and he gave me some great advice on my DIY trip as he went a few months before me.

18 hours ago, sable1 said:

LuAnn,

Sorry to hear about Kenneth.  We were Trivia team mates on the cruise that your luggage disappeared from your driveway.

John and I are still enjoying cruising.

I did attend the talk Paul gave on one cruise.  Very informative.  Will miss his posts here.

Joanne and John

Thank you! That is one of the memories of cruising I hope will be shared at his Celebration!! We had so many fun, wild adventures along the way. He was truly "one of a kind"!! I hope to keep cruising but it certainly won't be the same. 

• Like 1