Tor: COVID is really behind us...

rbslos18

6 hours ago, slewis7 said:

I see some posts here about the second booster.  Is anyone offering that already or are folks just scheduling a booster without specifying that this is actually a second booster?  The reason I say that is that where I live, I have seen the pharmacies that I got my shots at offering the second booster yet.  We have a cruise coming up in late April and we would love to get another shot before then.

You should be able to go online to whichever pharmacy you used before - or whichever one you prefer - and fill in the requested information.  In the box that asks what you're interested in, just check whichever box says:  "booster".  It doesn't ask whether it's a first or second booster, but the rest of the information asks you for the date of your prior booster, so I think that's the way they're handling it.  We just scheduled our appointments for April 15 at the local CVS, and it worked without a hitch.  I tested Walgreen's and Kroger pharmacy, too, to see if it worked the same way, and at least in this area, it does.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, slewis7 said:

I see some posts here about the second booster.  Is anyone offering that already or are folks just scheduling a booster without specifying that this is actually a second booster?  The reason I say that is that where I live, I have seen the pharmacies that I got my shots at offering the second booster yet.  We have a cruise coming up in late April and we would love to get another shot before then.

I scheduled both of us at CVS...I'm 65 and my DH is 69...I think anyone over 60 can get it...hurry...I heard on the news that they will stop being "free" in the fall...no specific date...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deec said:

I wish the USA would stop the testing requirement to get home for vaccinated people.  Anyone hear that may be in the near future.

Hi Dee - hope you are doing well!

latest article I read last week stated Biden and agencies sadly have no intention of changing this in the near future - too many other higher priority issues.  The author stated probably fall or 2023.  I’ll look for the article again.  I think it was NYT or WSJ.

2 hours ago, deec said:

I wish the USA would stop the testing requirement to get home for vaccinated people.  Anyone hear that may be in the near future.

I don't have any knowledge to report on the subject, but so far the US has been taking the lead from other countries in regard to easing restrictions: lagging 1-2 months behind almost as reciprocity - so I am hopeful. April 18th seems to be an important date as to whether various requirements will be extended or not. Similarly, Viking appears to fall in line with both the countries it sails in/to and the CDC: with an understandable delay in implementing change as it is juggling dozens of different rules for different regions - so I am also hopeful that we will see radical changes from Viking soon.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Similarly, Viking appears to fall in line with both the countries it sails in/to and the CDC: with an understandable delay in implementing change as it is juggling dozens of different rules for different regions - so I am also hopeful that we will see radical changes from Viking soon.

Also, I go back and read this statement from the man himself that was in the article quoted by the first post in this thread, and to my mind, he is telling us what is coming ….

"I consider this thing, COVID, is really behind us," Viking chairman Torstein Hagen said during a media briefing on Wednesday. "There are more of us who will get it. But now it's a much less serious thing, and we should get back to life as normal."

I break it down like this:

"I consider this thing, COVID, is really behind us,"

My take -> The testing protocols were established as a pre-emptive method to control or prevent the virus (in the pandemic phase) disrupting business operations during conditions that were prevalent in the past, and to pave the way for an argument to re-open cruising as a viable activity.

"There are more of us who will get it. But now it's a much less serious thing…”

My take -> The virus is endemic – sooner or later, far more people will be exposed, but the consequences are less severe and to far fewer people - thanks to vaccinations, therapeutics, widespread natural immunity, hygienic and sanitary protocols.

“… and we should get back to life as normal.”

My take -> Wearing masks, and daily testing of healthy people (fully vaccinated/boosted and in many cases with additional natural immunity) showing no symptoms is not normal. He is preparing the audience for change.

91 days to go before I leave for Norway - as you can see, I have a some cruise anticipation fever, LOL.

Edited by SailorPaulH
  • Like 3

On the Viking Sea right now — the cruise director announced earlier today that onboard masking would become optional beginning tomorrow, April 1. (No mention of any change in daily testing.) I suspect a lot of Sea folks will keep their masks on out of an abundance of caution or simply out of force of habit. Count me among them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

On the Viking Sea right now — the cruise director announced earlier today that onboard masking would become optional beginning tomorrow, April 1. (No mention of any change in daily testing.) I suspect a lot of Sea folks will keep their masks on out of an abundance of caution or simply out of force of habit. Count me among them.

I concur.  I find it coincidental reading this after we returned from walking to the Post Office and Book Store (yes they still exist).  There is no mask requirement, but 95% were wearing them.

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

Let us know what you observe.

my fear is that masks off plus continues daily testing means higher probability of testing positive.  I’m not a fan of this mask off combined with daily testing.  We are guinea pigs.  Viking probably wants to see if positive cases rise with masks off, and if they do …..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Viking probably wants to see if positive cases rise with masks off, and if they do …..

....then even more people get to disembark and spend time quarantining in a hotel. This'll all be interesting yet to see how the relaxed covid protocols play out. I think by now most lines have made masking optional. Not sure how many lines do this daily testing though. 

15 hours ago, SailorPaulH said:

Also, I go back and read this statement from the man himself that was in the article quoted by the first post in this thread, and to my mind, he is telling us what is coming ….

"I consider this thing, COVID, is really behind us," Viking chairman Torstein Hagen said during a media briefing on Wednesday. "There are more of us who will get it. But now it's a much less serious thing, and we should get back to life as normal."

I break it down like this:

"I consider this thing, COVID, is really behind us,"

My take -> The testing protocols were established as a pre-emptive method to control or prevent the virus (in the pandemic phase) disrupting business operations during conditions that were prevalent in the past, and to pave the way for an argument to re-open cruising as a viable activity.

"There are more of us who will get it. But now it's a much less serious thing…”

My take -> The virus is endemic – sooner or later, far more people will be exposed, but the consequences are less severe and to far fewer people - thanks to vaccinations, therapeutics, widespread natural immunity, hygienic and sanitary protocols.

“… and we should get back to life as normal.”

My take -> Wearing masks, and daily testing of healthy people (fully vaccinated/boosted and in many cases with additional natural immunity) showing no symptoms is not normal. He is preparing the audience for change.

91 days to go before I leave for Norway - as you can see, I have a some cruise anticipation fever, LOL.

Completely agree! Well stated…thank you

• Like 1

Ok…here is just a topic for discussion…IF the TSA drops the mask mandate on planes on April 18th, and/or drops the requirement for USA re-entry test, how will that impact “up to daily” testing on the Viking ships? Does anyone have an opinion about whether or not the TSA mask mandate will be extended again? With so many States filing suit against the government for the TSA regulations, will that make any difference to rescinding President Biden’s Executive Order?

15 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Let us know what you observe.

my fear is that masks off plus continues daily testing means higher probability of testing positive.  I’m not a fan of this mask off combined with daily testing.  We are guinea pigs.  Viking probably wants to see if positive cases rise with masks off, and if they do …..

Here’s my WAG as to mask use today, the first day it became optional on the Viking Sea. Excluding the World Cafe and the Pool Grille areas, I’d say that one-quarter to one-third of guests are still wearing masks as they move about the ship. Whether those numbers change in coming days is anybody’s guess.

18 hours ago, SJD117 said:

Is Viking still supplying masks?

15 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Is Viking still supplying masks?

Yes.

on Orion now.  This morning the cruise director made the mask statement, however with different wording apparently than yours.

he merely said - on Orion the CDC recommends everyone wear masks in public areas.   Did not use the word “optional” though it is implied.  Will be interesting to see how it goes, and if it results in a rise in positive cases.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes.

on Orion now.  This morning the cruise director made the mask statement, however with different wording apparently than yours.

he merely said - on Orion the CDC recommends everyone wear masks in public areas.   Did not use the word “optional” though it is implied.  Will be interesting to see how it goes, and if it results in a rise in positive cases.

Are you staying on Orion for the Pacific Coastal cruise?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 8:13 AM, downsmead said:

If it is behind us, then why is Viking still doing daily testing on board. In general current covid infections are similar to a cold, but we are not tested for the common cold, nor are people quarantined for a cold.

Except, 960,000+ people didn't die of the common cold in the last 2 years, nor does one have the possibility of being on an oxygen tank from a common cold.

• Like 6

On 3/31/2022 at 4:58 PM, CCWineLover said:

I’m not a fan of this mask off combined with daily testing.

I agree...doesn't make a whole lot of sense. No masking doesn't exactly sync with trying to be covid-proactive. 

Edited by AnyWayIsGood
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, longterm said:

Except, 960,000+ people didn't die of the common cold in the last 2 years, nor does one have the possibility of being on an oxygen tank from a common cold.

How many died "with" covid and how many died "of" covid.  A huge difference and information we are not readily given.We all have tales of "someone". 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

How many died "with" covid and how many died "of" covid.  A huge difference and information we are not readily given.We all have tales of "someone". 

From all the reports I've read, and I've read numerous JAMA articles, CDC, , AMA, etc., the prevailing belief is that, if anything, reported numbers are LOWER than reality. 

In other countries, Covid numbers are often unreported or much lower; in the US, with the segment of the population that refuses to be vaccinated, and, in many cases, refuses to seek medical treatment for anything as a general rule, there are thousands of cases where Covid caused someone with existing medical conditions to die, when they might have survived otherwise.

This forum isn't the place for a debate about the validity of Covid numbers. 

• Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, longterm said:

From all the reports I've read, and I've read numerous JAMA articles, CDC, , AMA, etc., the prevailing belief is that, if anything, reported numbers are LOWER than reality. 

In other countries, Covid numbers are often unreported or much lower; in the US, with the segment of the population that refuses to be vaccinated, and, in many cases, refuses to seek medical treatment for anything as a general rule, there are thousands of cases where Covid caused someone with existing medical conditions to die, when they might have survived otherwise.

This forum isn't the place for a debate about the validity of Covid numbers. 

Clearly you are correct. With increased availability of home testing and asymptomatic cases, the actual numbers are much higher. People who home test typically do not end up in the published statistics.  That said, hospitalisations and serious cases are way down, a very good sign. Every person in the family we are visiting came in contact with a person diagnosed with COVID last week. Every one  has mostly allergy symptoms. The variants seem to be more infectious yet less serious as illnesses. 

We and Viking will have to learn to live with this situation and to adjust as the data and the science changes.I am in favor of Viking experimenting with lightening up on their protocol. 
Sign this: Masked and Boosted and feeling safe. 

• Thanks 1