Onboard Tuxedo Rental

Jack E Dawson

I have a friend who will soon be boarding the QM2 for the very first time and plans to rent a tuxedo onboard. Does anyone know if they have resumed onboard rentals? He called Cunard and the agent told him that was strictly handled on the ship and he could be of no help.

Thanks

Jack

There are plenty of places selling low prices dinner suits that would be much cheaper than renting (even if it was possible) and he can give it away to the staff at the end of the trip.

People living local will advise the best shops to visit, I'm sure.

54 minutes ago, Jack E Dawson said:

I have a friend who will soon be boarding the QM2 for the very first time and plans to rent a tuxedo onboard. Does anyone know if they have resumed onboard rentals? He called Cunard and the agent told him that was strictly handled on the ship and he could be of no help.

Thanks

Jack

Just a thought.  

If a friend is from USA

A few years ago, an American told us he bought a Tux from a thrift/charity store in the USA, posted it to his pre cruise hotel, then donated it.

If from UK

As above without posting.

or

Hire from a UK source.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Hire

Thanks BigMac1953 and Port Royal.

My friend is from the US but will be departing on the QM2 from Southampton. He will arrive London a week before his departure. He tells me that the cost of renting a tux onboard for the 2 formal nights is $125 total. This is pretty hard to beat. He has a dark suit he could wear but would rather wear a tux. 

Jack

• Like 1

And you still need the shirt, tie & shiny shoes - those are not rented.

Our 2019 westbound crossing had a passenger led seminar on how to tie a bow tie - quite well attended. Oddly, the onboard shops only sell the pre tied bow tie.

• Like 1

I was behind and unfortunate gentleman at the Pursers desk on our first sea day who had forgot to pack his and he was asking if he could rent. The assistant there said he could and to go to the boutique on deck 3 - If I remember I'll go and ask to confirm later today.

1 hour ago, rakkor said:

Jane did the honours and they definitely do hire them out

Well played.  
Excellent news for those who travel with luggage weight restrictions, as it confirms they are now able to dress formally on Gala Evenings.  No doubt there will be many with suitcase weight concerns who will applaud your (and DW) efforts.

8 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Well played.  
Excellent news for those who travel with luggage weight restrictions, as it confirms they are now able to dress formally on Gala Evenings.  No doubt there will be many with suitcase weight concerns who will applaud your (and DW) efforts.

Having rented formal wear on QM2 three times, I agree. But one thing to remember is that you can only rent the jacket, shirt and trousers. You have to bring your own bow tie - or else buy one on board. 

Another issue is size. My father rented on the QM2 once. The ship had limited formal wear in his size as he is a tall man so it didn’t fit as well as it should.  However  when my father rented on board he was given a tie and a cumberbund in Cunard red. 

Edited by Chart Room Princess

4 hours ago, BrisbaneR said:

Having rented formal wear on QM2 three times, I agree. But one thing to remember is that you can only rent the jacket, shirt and trousers. You have to bring your own bow tie - or else buy one on board. 

BrisbaneR, 

Cunard Customer Service tells me that you can only make arrangements to rent the tux onboard, not in advance of sailing. Has that been your experience?

Thanks 

Jack

2 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

BrisbaneR, 

Cunard Customer Service tells me that you can only make arrangements to rent the tux onboard, not in advance of sailing. Has that been your experience?

Thanks 

Jack

Hi Jack

Yes, that has been the case for me. Also, from memory,  you have to book the tux for the duration of the cruise i.e. you can't just book it for the individual formal nights. So this might  be a consideration for some passengers, especially on longer voyages. I have only done transatlantic trips so it wasn't such an issue for me..

From the Cunard website -

Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria

Yes, gentlemen can hire tuxedos including shirts, trousers and dinner jackets on board from the shops.

Tuxedo packages range from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights.

3 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

From the Cunard website -

Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria

Yes, gentlemen can hire tuxedos including shirts, trousers and dinner jackets on board from the shops.

Tuxedo packages range from $90 for one night up to $250 for 5 nights.

Thank you for the additional confirmation.

By hiring onboard, one can use OBC, therefore the hire could be “free”.