First time on Oceania (Riviera)

SailorJack

A couple of quick questions:

Are there charges soft drinks, for coffee at the coffee bars,  and for gelato. 

I know this can be based on personal preference, but is the upgrade to the concierge level and associated perks worth the additional cost? We have booked a B2 but am considering upgrading.

Can you bring your own wine aboard?

Are there any formal nights

Thanks

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

No charge for soft drinks anywhere on ship and also free in your bar fridge.  No charge for coffee as long as there is no liquor in it.  Gelato is also free.

You can bring wine on board- policy says 6 bottles but that is only there so they can enforce it if they have to.  Wine is to be consumed in your room unless you take bottle to a dining place in which case there is a $25 corkage charge.

Upgrading to a Concierge has no effect on the above info.

1 minute ago, SailorJack said:

Are there charges soft drinks, for coffee at the coffee bars,  and for gelato. 

There is no charge for any of these. You will find soft drinks in your room, coffee at Baristas and ice cream at Waves.

Can you bring your own wine aboard?

Yes, you can. The wine you bring on board is only for in cabin consumption, unless you pay a corkage fee at the restaurant and then you can enjoy it during dinner too. And if you do not finish it, they will store and it will find you the next night. 

The upgrade really is question of personal choice... you will have to decide ultimately what is most important to you. Between the A and B - I think it really boils down to: access to the concierge lounge, welcome bottle of champagne and free access to the spa deck.  Here is a link to show you what each offers:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/suites-staterooms/

Enjoy your first trip on Oceania! I hope you love it as much as we do. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

No charge for soft drinks anywhere on ship and also free in your bar fridge.  No charge for coffee as long as there is no liquor in it.  Gelato is also free.

You can bring wine on board- policy says 6 bottles but that is only there so they can enforce it if they have to.  Wine is to be consumed in your room unless you take bottle to a dining place in which case there is a $25 corkage charge.

Upgrading to a Concierge has no effect on the above info.

Much thanks! We are cruising with a couple from Ontario - maybe you know them.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gelato and ice cream are a big strength of Oceania – and their ice cream is as good as gelato.  They have a wide range of flavors that changes every day – including some pretty exotic flavors licensed from 'Humphry Slocombe' of San Francisco ['Elvis the Fat Years' = Banana ice cream w/Bacon Peanut Brittle – I didn't try that one, but my favorite is Oceania's signature HS flavor 'Regatta Royale' = bittersweet dark fruity chocolate with orange zest and smoked sea salt.  Yum!]

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, clairol said:

The upgrade really is question of personal choice... you will have to decide ultimately what is most important to you. Between the A and B - I think it really boils down to: access to the concierge lounge, welcome bottle of champagne and free access to the spa deck.  Here is a link to show you what each offers:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/suites-staterooms/

Enjoy your first trip on Oceania! I hope you love it as much as we do. 

Thanks for your input!

Jack

1 minute ago, SailorJack said:

Much thanks! We are cruising with a couple from Ontario - maybe you know them.😁

You never know- maybe I do 😛

As far as cabins are concerned, if you are on Marina or Riviera, I would take a B3 extended balcony over a Concierge cabin.  You get 2 loungers as well as 2 chairs on the deep balcony.

If you have a specific type of soft drink that you like , you could have your travel agent to contact Special Services to have it in your bar fridge.  I have asked for A&W Root Beer on several occasions and they usually can get it for me.

17 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Indeed.  I have been unable to shed the extra waistline I gained on Riviera in January.

Jazzbeau, have you been on cruises since? How long were you on Riviera in January and how much did you gain? I am going to try to do a lot of walking in port to minimize the inevitable.

1 hour ago, 3113Timmy said:

Jazzbeau, have you been on cruises since? How long were you on Riviera in January and how much did you gain? I am going to try to do a lot of walking in port to minimize the inevitable.

I haven't had the courage to weigh myself.  🤣  There is apparently a scale in this house we're renting for our snowbird escape, but it is stuck in the corner and I'm sure that's because the little liar is being punished until it apologizes.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it...  We have a pair of river cruises coming up next month ending in Paris, so it won't be diet time until after that.

• Like 1

You can definitely find a pound or two on Oceania.  We were on Riviera 46 days, October to December 3. Tasted the Humphrey Slocumb virtually every day as there are so many options served daily. We were fortunate to be able to dine in the Specialty Restaurants whenever we wanted as there were reduced passenger loads until the transatlantic when we were full.  I did stay away from the fresh bread baked daily and it is fantastic. I believe I did pick up about 5 pounds. 

We just got back off 12 days on Marina sailing the Caribbean and eliminated the HS and only half the nights in Specialties and only 3 pieces of bread, lots of salads and seafood. RG’s Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass and Jacques Sea Bass were a mainstay.  Only 2 Filets from Polo. Lost 3 pounds however others traveling with us picked up 5-6 pounds in the 12 days. 

I am sure you will love the Finest Cuisine at Sea. 
Ciao,

Mauibabes. 

• Like 3

I've been dieting all Lent, the last week it's been bordering on full on fasting.

I'm on a 10 day cruise starting April 15 and I will aim to do a lot of walking whilst in port. I'm not going to skip lunch as I do want to sample the local food. I aim to put on no more than 5 pounds, which I think is a realistic goal.

Absolutely goes without saying there will be no Burger King until then.

We just completed 10 days on the Riviera.  Two nights in Polo, three nights in Jacques.....Two in Toscano, One in Red Ginger.....one in Le Reserve and one in the main dining room "just because"....

10 day cruise.....most days I didn't even have breakfast......maybe one third of the time?  And lunch even fewer times.....DID partake of the daily in room canapes.....also had WAY too much bread each night...did NOT however have many desserts....might also be because I thoroughly enjoyed the 10-12 bottles of champagne over the course of the cruise? lol.....Needless to say I gained 6 pounds between 10 days onboard the Riviera and two days in Miami at the Intercontinental.....as we also enjoy Tora Tora restaurant there.....

Now I am desperate to lose some of this weight before I get onboard one of these Oceania ships again or I am doomed!

Sort of reading between the lines I gather that the food is pretty good?😋

The cruise we are on is for 30 days so I will have a chance to sample all the restaurants. Sort of intrigued by Red Ginger - can't wait to try it.

Are there formal nights on Oceania - coats and ties?

Jack

1 hour ago, SailorJack said:

The cruise we are on is for 30 days so I will have a chance to sample all the restaurants. Sort of intrigued by Red Ginger - can't wait to try it.

Jack

No formal wear.  The only place I've seen men in jackets is in La Reserve.  Women tend to dress up a bit more than men but not formal gowns- just nice dresses or sparkly top and pants.

18 hours ago, SailorJack said:

A couple of quick questions: ... I know this can be based on personal preference, but is the upgrade to the concierge level and associated perks worth the additional cost? We have booked a B2 but am considering upgrading. ...

Wife and I did A4 Concierge on Riviera in 12/13-23/21W. Caribbean. We both enjoyed the concierge lounge many times throughout the day and the Terrace Spa area. The two big benefits. (The bag and champagne being rather minor.) Since the R-class ships don't have the Concierge Lounge or Riviera's bigger spa "pool", we're doing a B2 Veranda for our 11/22 E. Caribbean cruise on Sirena.

29 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Wife and I did A4 Concierge on Riviera in 12/13-23/21W. Caribbean. We both enjoyed the concierge lounge many times throughout the day and the Terrace Spa area. The two big benefits. (The bag and champagne being rather minor.) Since the R-class ships don't have the Concierge Lounge or Riviera's bigger spa "pool", we're doing a B2 Veranda for our 11/22 E. Caribbean cruise on Sirena.

Ability to book specialty restaurants sooner than the B category and below is also a big benefit for those who prioritize getting a table for two at a high demand time. Earlier access to cabin on embarkation day is also a nice feature.

2 hours ago, SailorJack said:

Jack

No formal nights or art auctions, photographers & many other things you find on the main stream lines

There is  a section on their website with lots of good info

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, edgee said:

Ability to book specialty restaurants sooner than the B category and below is also a big benefit for those who prioritize getting a table for two at a high demand time. Earlier access to cabin on embarkation day is also a nice feature.

never had a problem getting a 2 top at 6:30 pm

we only sail in A, B or C cabins

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, edgee said:

Ability to book specialty restaurants sooner than the B category and below is also a big benefit for those who prioritize getting a table for two at a high demand time....

I fell in love with the Terrace Cafe (dinner) and Waves (breakfast), so I learned that the specialty restaurants were nice for the 4 meals, but I'd rather eat out under the stars in the evening on the aft deck. One night a fellow diner had his cellphone app showing the stars and planets we were seeing while out to sea. Thinking Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were so bright that night. And eat breakfast looking outside at Waves. BUT to each their own. (And my wife absolutely did not like Red Ginger. She just isn't into Asian cuisine.)

• Thanks 1

The food, the food, the food.Best at sea.Just lost weight on our recent Seabourn cruise.The food was not a patch on Oceania.The experience has left us even more excited for our Christmas and new year cruise on Mariner to the Amazon.You will love it Sailorjack.

Edited by janecambridge

2 hours ago, janecambridge said:

.The experience has left us even more excited for our Christmas and new year cruise on Mariner to the Amazon.You will love it Sailorjack.

is that on  RSSC or did you mean Marina ?

• Like 1